Kyle Davis (update)

Awbee

7 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

? Can you help me out...having trouble with the hi lighted parts?  What do you mean by "all the games"?

I assumed video games, pool table, that sorta thing. Entertainment room. 

6 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

? Can you help me out...having trouble with the hi lighted parts?  What do you mean by "all the games"?

the game room with all the video games and pool tables.  dancing on top of pool tables, jumping off of things, lack of care for property (stunts).

they were clearly not student athletes or students from what I saw.  they were bragging about where they were while filming.

7 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Plenty of blame can and should be put on Gus this season but these three you speak of, have little to nothing to do with coach management, and everything to do with un-met expectations and off the field problems!

All three of these players were given chance after chance and put in multiple situations to succeed, and they continued to fail. Mostly failed themselves.

Other's on this board will argue otherwise but IMO the attrition is too high.  I'm sure I focus much more on our losses than other SEC programs, but I feel like we've lost an excessive number of 4-5*'s for various reasons.  We all recruit from the same pool of talent.  I just feel like we've lost a lot of 4-5*'s .......they are hard to come by and a ton of man hours and evaluation hrs are invested in getting these prospects on campus, it's bothersome when we lose them down the road.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Doubt it's cocaine but one thing for sure EVERY SINGLE time stuff start going bad any particular season a player is offered up as a sacrifice......we have to be the absolute worse big time school as far as handling elite talent

What exactly are you saying 

59 minutes ago, keesler said:

Other's on this board will argue otherwise but IMO the attrition is too high.  I'm sure I focus much more on our losses than other SEC programs, but I feel like we've lost an excessive number of 4-5*'s for various reasons.  We all recruit from the same pool of talent.  I just feel like we've lost a lot of 4-5*'s .......they are hard to come by and a ton of man hours and evaluation hrs are invested in getting these prospects on campus, it's bothersome when we lose them down the road.

Do you have any sense that we are getting  some of these guys because other schools are worried about behavior issues and maybe going easy on their recruiting effort. ?...curious if we are taking known risks ?

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Do you have any sense that we are getting  some of these guys because other schools are worried about behavior issues and maybe going easy on their recruiting effort. ?...curious if we are taking known risks ?

Yes.   This 100%.    Not all 5*, 4*, etc. are the same.    I like recruiting rankings, I think they mean a lot collectively, but they are mainly measuring athletic ability and potential.   Character issues/flaws would be much harder to measure but coaches must dig into these areas and find out as much about these kids as possible before signing them.   Either we're banking on a number of higher risk players or not doing our homework.      I'm thinking more of the former.

8 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

Yes.   This 100%.    Not all 5*, 4*, etc. are the same.    I like recruiting rankings, I think they mean a lot collectively, but they are mainly measuring athletic ability and potential.   Character issues/flaws would be much harder to measure but coaches must dig into these areas and find out as much about these kids as possible before signing them.   Either we're banking on a number of higher risk players or not doing our homework.      I'm thinking more of the former.

And maybe thinking that if we bring them to a nice small town environment we can help them overcome some of their "issues" that might have been enabled because of hanging with a bad crowd.     I expect that has worked in some cases....but not always.

I think Gus should have been fired after the Sugar Bowl, if not sooner (see what I did there?), but this is in no way on him.  If anything he has tried to get these guys to step up and grow up.  Kyle Davis is not the first and he's absolutely not going to be the last.  This is not some lone wolf...it's an unfortunate part of being a coach in this day.  It sucks...my (freshman) son absolutely wrecked himself at Auburn this past spring.  Nobody is immune.

37 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I honestly don't know the answer to that question.   I know many of the guys we've lost were heavily recruited by the big name schools and we were happy to snag them from other programs on NSD.  

And many posters/mods on here will argue that our attrition rate is normal and nothing to worry about.  BUT, in light of the fact that so many resources, expenses, man hours, travel time, evaluations are used to not only attract highly rated recruits to campus, but to actually get that LOI on NSD and pull in Top 10 classes, it just seems like we have a problem retaining them.  

I do know that AU has hauled in Top 10 recruiting classes consistently for years but for a myriad of reasons/excuses we damn sure can't consistently produce Top 10 rankings at the end of the season.  And I think our attrition plays a big part in the inability to end the seasons in the top 10 on a regular basis.

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

Coke is the new weed for these 90s/00s babies. And weed is the new beer. 

I was surprised to know just how many  30-50 somethings I am aquainted and friends with who talk to the white lady quite often...and I mean a lot of them. They are all very professional, wide ranging occupations from doctors to restaurant owners to contractors, of course lawyers, real estate agents and the likes. All are very successful as well and most are married with children. Men and women...I try not to judge folks for vices...most of us have them in some capacity.  It is crazy to think how cocaine can really wreck some lives and enhance others. If the rumors are true it's just sad that Kyle decided to try it, and liked it.  He has so much to lose from doing so.  Gus can't stop a player from sticking anything, anywhere, when he's not with that player.

8 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I think Gus should have been fired after the Sugar Bowl, if not sooner (see what I did there?), but this is in no way on him.  If anything he has tried to get these guys to step up and grow up.  Kyle Davis is not the first and he's absolutely not going to be the last.  This is not some lone wolf...it's an unfortunate part of being a coach in this day.  It sucks...my (freshman) son absolutely wrecked himself at Auburn this past spring.  Nobody is immune.

Prayers for you brother.

I've seen it happen time after time with kids from Montgomery that went to AU & UA - kids who's parents have already spent well over $125,000 for private school here and they go off the rails once they hit a college campus.   You are correct, NOBODY is immune.

18 minutes ago, keesler said:

I do know that AU has hauled in Top 10 recruiting classes consistently for years but for a myriad of reasons/excuses we damn sure can't consist

Same problem as back in Tub's day....would have a good class of commitments but first thing you knew a handful were scattered around the Juco circuit..  Now we seem to get them in but lose them for other reasons. 

The bottom line is that by year #2 of any recruiting class our top 10 ranking is just a memory.   Maybe it all works out in the wash but I have the sense that we lose more important recruits than do many other schools....but guess those are statistics that are hard to check.

Just now, AU64 said:

I got the impression that the opiates were from prescription drugs.....but that could be wrong...around here meth is the primary means of self-destruction.

It's in the same family, but it generally starts with prescription and works its way forward. It's a horrible problem. 

Apparently most of you didn't learn from the last thread being locked.  We do NOT do rumors here. Unless you can link something as serious as what you are saying here, DO NOT post it here.   We are done here.

Archived