Another mind boggling quote

TigerOne

This is a fundamental flaw and shows Auburn is not coached to play 60 minutes complete lack of seeing the big picture, and not taking your opponent seriously.

when asked about the decision to be conservative in second half: "The reality is 'how many points can they really score on your defense?'... Obviously, that didn't work out that way."

at least he said this but does he believe it?

Malzahn says he takes "full responsibility" for the loss at LSU. Players and coaches have put the loss behind them.

Yup, I saw that and I know we all knew that, but to hear him come out an actually in not so many words say that they Went into conservation mode on offense in the second half is outrageous.  

The media should be all over that. I hope that they hammer the snot out of him and make him look like.............for that statement and his failed plan. 

The best coach in college football is two hours from our campus.  He would have buried LSU if given the chance, not gone into conservative mode.  Gus should have learned that lesson after the 2013 national title game.

The defense is elite. That's nonsense to categorize them in any other way. They gave up two drives the entire LSU game. The final 13 points needed to beat us came this way:  punt return for TD, 19 yard drive for FG, 6 yard drive for FG. The defense held up. They gave up 14 points.

The problem is, Gus went so conservative that the defense was on the field the entire second half AND they played with their backs against the wall the entire second half. He also failed to consider the fact that our kick coverage has been kind of sloppy all season. We just hadn't been gashed yet. In a vacuum, he's right. The defense wasn't going to give up 10 points in the second half under normal circumstances. His conservative approach meant they were not playing under normal circumstances.

3 hours ago, TigerOne said:

This is a fundamental flaw and shows Auburn is not coached to play 60 minutes complete lack of seeing the big picture, and not taking your opponent seriously.

when asked about the decision to be conservative in second half: "The reality is 'how many points can they really score on your defense?'... Obviously, that didn't work out that way."

Malzahn says he takes "full responsibility" for the loss at LSU. Players and coaches have put the loss behind them.

at half time he was happy about a 9 point lead..... and told the reporter that when they were headed into the clubhouse.        it was at that point i knew we were in trouble. 

2 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

And to think this is the same coach who would try to score before halftime with only 5 seconds on the clock and the ball on Auburn's 25.

Tubberville was once nicknamed the river boat gambler.   You didnt see that type of "gambling" his final years at Auburn.   For some reason coaches lose their edge when they need it more. 

Just now, auskip07 said:

Tubberville was once nicknamed the river boat gambler.   You didnt see that type of "gambling" his final years at Auburn.   For some reason coaches lose their edge when they need it more. 

Yep. I saw it happen to Coach Dye, Tubs and now Malzahn. All tasted success and went conservative the next year. It seems they have a little voice whispering in their ear. 'Are you sure want to do that? What if it fails?'

hell remember the SEC championship game vs SC  2010  where we beat them so bad Spurrier wasnt the same?   i want the offensive coordinator that called a hail mary  before half time to remove any doubt as to our intention on scoring.   

18 hours ago, auskip07 said:

So tired of this trend. They get a taste of success and then deviate from what got them that success. It's infuriating. Something must be happening behind the scenes that make these coaches so scared. It's happened to Gus, Chiz, and Tubs. I'm too young to know about Dye but @SumterAubiesaid it happened to him as well. What the hell?

22 hours ago, TigerOne said:

This phrase would have been  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ fine if Gus had said (and I have learned from this mistake).

22 hours ago, auskip07 said:

hell remember the SEC championship game vs SC  2010  where we beat them so bad Spurrier wasnt the same?   i want the offensive coordinator that called a hail mary  before half time to remove any doubt as to our intention on scoring.   

Bingo. And what makes it even more mind boggling is...we have the defense that would afford him opportunities to be way more aggressive. We should be beating people like Spurrier did with Florida in the 90's.

Ever since Jacobs hired Malzahn for 2013, Gus has always coached not to lose instead of coaching to win. That's why he plays it so close to the vest by running the and why he takes his foot off the gas every time whenever we're ahead by a lot.

15 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Kick Arkansas’s ass 

I think we will because this is Gus' Superbowl.  He "gets up" more to beat Arky than he does UGA or LSU.

wde

46 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I think we will because this is Gus' Superbowl.  He "gets up" more to beat Arky than he does UGA or LSU.

wde

I believe you are correct 

53 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

7 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Sadly this appears to be a true statement because he always coaches well. Too bad he has no clue who our rivals are.  If he did, he wouldn't insult us by saying things like, "this isn't the end of the world" after losing to a rival.  

I am sick.

On 10/17/2017 at 4:54 PM, mcgufcm said:

The defense is elite. That's nonsense to categorize them in any other way. They gave up two drives the entire LSU game. The final 13 points needed to beat us came this way:  punt return for TD, 19 yard drive for FG, 6 yard drive for FG. The defense held up. They gave up 14 points.

The problem is, Gus went so conservative that the defense was on the field the entire second half AND they played with their backs against the wall the entire second half. He also failed to consider the fact that our kick coverage has been kind of sloppy all season. We just hadn't been gashed yet. In a vacuum, he's right. The defense wasn't going to give up 10 points in the second half under normal circumstances. His conservative approach meant they were not playing under normal circumstances.

No, this defense is not elite. Solid, but not elite. Like StatTiger said, our TFL has been diminishing since week 1. We do not generate enough sacks or turnovers to be considered dominant or elite.

4 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

3 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

Sadly this appears to be a true statement because he always coaches well. Too bad he has no clue who our rivals are.  If he did, he wouldn't insult us by saying things like, "this isn't the end of the world" after losing to a rival.  

I am sick.

Maybe Arkansas will fire Bert and lure Gus home

9 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Maybe Arkansas will fire Bert and lure Gus home

this may be closer to reality than you might think......time heals all wounds and some,not all, but some wounds have healed over in arkansas

10 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

No, this defense is not elite. Solid, but not elite. Like StatTiger said, our TFL has been diminishing since week 1. We do not generate enough sacks or turnovers to be considered dominant or elite.

Well said. Remember the heat index Saturday was over 100 degrees. They played most of the snaps in the second half. The defense is good enough to win but only if the offense is good enough to win. Special teams were not very special Saturday also. Usually to win consistently we must win in all three phases. We didn't and they are all interrelated to the other. As a HC, you must be able to understand how the relationship works, including the weather.

Good coaches are never”happy” about a lead. They insist that their players play 60 minutes like they were trained to do. If you get a big lead it is good to allow your younger players to get experience starting late in the third quarter or even later than that. Even with a big lead you will normally see good teams bring their starters back and work to score the first couple of drives the second half. How many times have you heard good coach say “ we have to play 60 minutes. 

Archived