Note on Auburn Passing Game (First down)

StatTiger

• Auburn currently has the 4th most efficient pass-offense on first down.

• 28.5% of Auburn's pass attempts have come on first down, which is 127th nationally. This is a percentage normally associated with a triple-option styled offense.

• Only Army, Georgia Southern and Georgia Tech have a fewer percentage of passes on first down.

• The national average is 38.5%

• Comparing the ratio of pass attempts on 1st down to 3rd down, Auburn ranks 123rd nationally.

• Gus Malzahn's offense at Auburn is 26-5 during games the Tigers pass for at least 80-yards on first down and 29-18 when held to under 50-yards passing on 1st down.

• Among the 125 FBS teams that attempt at least 15 passes per game, Auburn is No. 8 nationally in producing pass plays of 30-yards or more.

• One out of every four pass attempts on first down had netted a 25-yard gain or better for the Auburn offense, 18th nationally.

• Auburn is No. 17 in yards per play on first down, averaging 7.1 yards per play. This is primarily on the success of passing on first down, where Auburn averages 12.8 yards per pass attempt.

• Auburn's 12.8 yards per pass attempt on first down is No. 4 nationally.

• During the four games leading up to LSU, Auburn averaged 142-yards passing on first down, an all time high for a Gus Malzahn-Auburn offense. Against LSU, Auburn attempted only 5 passes on first down for 10-yards.

• Running the football 17 consecutive times on first down was offensive suicide, especially with the success Auburn had throwing on first down prior to the LSU game.

War Eagle!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Facepalm 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

·        28.5% of Auburn's pass attempts have come on first down, which is 127th nationally. This is a percentage normally associated with a triple-option styled offense.

·        Only Army, Georgia Southern and Georgia Tech have a fewer percentage of passes on first down.

Beyond comprehension 

• Like 1

I’m not even mad. I swear sniffing the wet paint would get you better results than what we had witnessed last Saturday.

It’s just completely bizarre that a team that posts these above average (if not impressive) stats on first down would try so hard to go away from what it works. 

If being aggressive gets us intercepted in once a while, then that’s WAY BETTER than to run, run, long pass, and then punt. That’s practically a turnover right there.

I'm amazed why we wouldn't do something that works so well.  Now, I understand that part of the reason it works so well is that no one respects that it could happen, however by doing it more it might not be quite as effective in the future, but the running game would get better because teams wouldn't be able to stack the box.

Stat - this is a great summary, thank you.

This is what I think.  My opinion only - take it as such.  Don't get too worked up.

Gus's game plan, if it works, can throw a fierce first punch.  It's good for about 5-8 minutes.  However, he carries a game plan for an entire game -- as if the opponent is going to follow the script he's written.  It doesn't account for passion, or emotion, or someone just plain being hot or cold.  As soon as the opponent knows which Auburn team has shown up and as long as they are moderately decent at their jobs - then they're locked in.  The nutshell - playing in the SEC is dynamic and extremely tactical.  You can enter the game with a strategy but once kickoff ensues you need to go full tactical.  Identifying small weaknesses and strengths to leverage for advantage.  Take what they give you.  Be prepared with a reasonable tool set - a small but effective mix of runs, short, medium and long passes - etc. You need to be able to tactically target an area/opportunity.  This is accomplished by focusing on each person doing the very best at a job they are deeply trained for.  We call that fundamentals.  You know why Saban and Smart and those coaches blow up on players.  You may cringe, bu it's because they have a particular role that they should execute with a certain ability.  It's not because they're losing or their mad about the result - it is about how well you execute your job. And boys and girls - that's what gets you looks from NFL scouts.  I don't know if Gus can break this suicidal habit.  I also know most don't care and want him gone.  But he's going to have a real tough time anywhere if he doesn't realize that a scripted game plan is scripted failure.  What he needs most is a paper shredder.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

No words come to mind.....that can be written here anyway 

I’m at a loss for words as well. Simply can’t explain the unexplainable. 

I just read an excerpt from the podcast by Chris Landry who drove home the fact that the middle of the field was wide open Saturday after LSU brought their safeties up.  He also indicated throwing long on their very good corners was a low percentage play. The low hanging fruit was there. Malzahn will Never change and the fact we are basically giving up on this season by letting him finish infuriates me.  I realize I am beating a dead horse but I get angry all over again when I think about it.

• Like 3

This is why if you watch bama, they line up Ridley in the slot, wide out and motion him.    They are searching for the right combination on who is covering him.   When he gets a matchup with a safety, it’s a touchdown .   Auburn never does this.  Receivers stay in the same formation except Hastings and stove.  Stove for jet sweeps and Hastings for nothing 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, aubaseball said:

This is why if you watch bama, they line up Ridley in the slot, wide out and motion him.    They are searching for the right combination on who is covering him.   When he gets a matchup with a safety, it’s a touchdown .   Auburn never does this.  Receivers stay in the same formation except Hastings and stove.  Stove for jet sweeps and Hastings for nothing 

Alabama has a far more advanced offense than we do, I’ve been telling people, Hurts has been tasked with identifying more details of the defense than ever before. I won’t say it’s anything close to a NFL offense, but there’s some definitely some droplets of an intricate passing scheme that’ll likely be further revealed if that Tua guy lives up to the hype. We need somebody who can be intricate 

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Alabama has a far more advanced offense than we do, I’ve been telling people, Hurts has been tasked with identifying more details of the defense than ever before. I won’t say it’s anything close to a NFL offense, but there’s some definitely some droplets of an intricate passing scheme that’ll likely be further revealed if that Tua guy lives up to the hype. We need somebody who can be intricate 

Whose your choice?

I think when Gus is sitting alone in his mad scientist lab and devising the game plan something like this runs through his head:

If we run to pass, and we pass to run, then we pass to fail, then we fail to pass. This should win us the game on Saturday! Brilliant! Then he pats himself on the back and waits til Saturday. Once the game starts and we start losing, he has no idea why his plan didn't work and goes into denial when the media asks him why we lost.

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Alabama has a far more advanced offense than we do

Well, that's mostly because we have a HS offense that hasn't evolved (in the right direction) in 10 years. It's pathetic.

50 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Well, that's mostly because we have a HS offense that hasn't evolved (in the right direction) in 10 years. It's pathetic.

We have a coach who is in over his head.  

18 hours ago, StatTiger said:
  • Auburn currently has the 4th most efficient pass-offense on first down.

• 28.5% of Auburn's pass attempts have come on first down, which is 127th nationally. This is a percentage normally associated with a triple-option styled offense.

• Only Army, Georgia Southern and Georgia Tech have a fewer percentage of passes on first down.

• The national average is 38.5%

• Comparing the ratio of pass attempts on 1st down to 3rd down, Auburn ranks 123rd nationally.

• Gus Malzahn's offense at Auburn is 26-5 during games the Tigers pass for at least 80-yards on first down and 29-18 when held to under 50-yards passing on 1st down.

• Among the 125 FBS teams that attempt at least 15 passes per game, Auburn is No. 8 nationally in producing pass plays of 30-yards or more.

• One out of every four pass attempts on first down had netted a 25-yard gain or better for the Auburn offense, 18th nationally.

• Auburn is No. 17 in yards per play on first down, averaging 7.1 yards per play. This is primarily on the success of passing on first down, where Auburn averages 12.8 yards per pass attempt.

• Auburn's 12.8 yards per pass attempt on first down is No. 4 nationally.

• During the four games leading up to LSU, Auburn averaged 142-yards passing on first down, an all time high for a Gus Malzahn-Auburn offense. Against LSU, Auburn attempted only 5 passes on first down for 10-yards.

• Running the football 17 consecutive times on first down was offensive suicide, especially with the success Auburn had throwing on first down prior to the LSU game.

War Eagle!

Stat, can you post  charts of where all of our passes have gone this year and specifically emphasize a lack of passes down the middle of the field?

• Like 1