In Order to Beat Georgia and Bama

shabby

So here's the topic. What must Auburn accomplish in order to have a legitimate chance to beat these two top tier teams. Let's get the obvious out of the way first. Gus can't meddle. Let's assume Gus stays out of the way and let's the coordinators do their job. Long shot I know but just go with it. Assuming that is done, what other fixes are needed to beat these teams.

Offense:

Mid routes created for receivers

Greater percentages of passes on first down.

Stidham keeps more on the read option

No more Pettway

adjust to the blitz

Better run blocking

Half time adjust ments- could we make some please???

Defense

More Blitzes (4 man rush aint generating the necessary pressure)

Please don't respond to this thread with anything Malzahn. we get it. What is amazing is how good this team could actually be. They should have a legit shot in these games if improvement is made in some areas. What are your areas???

I think have Pettway move back to a full back/H-back type role.  His bursts at the LOS last year is how he got into the secondary so much last year and made him a successful TB.  He has lost that step this year.  Keep him in the backfield with KJ.  KP getting the occasional FB/HB carries will not be as predictable and may give him the opportunity to get past the LOS.  Right now when he is in there, he is getting the ball just like how the Saints used Adrian Peterson before trading him.

1 hour ago, shabby said:

So here's the topic. What must Auburn accomplish in order to have a legitimate chance to beat these two top tier teams. Let's get the obvious out of the way first. Gus can't meddle. Let's assume Gus stays out of the way and let's the coordinators do their job. Long shot I know but just go with it. Assuming that is done, what other fixes are needed to beat these teams.

Offense:

No more Pettway

adjust to the blitz

Better run blocking

Defense

Please don't respond to this thread with anything Malzahn. we get it. What is amazing is how good this team could actually be. They should have a legit shot in these games if improvement is made in some areas. What are your areas???

One thing - give Chip Lindsey TOTAL control of the offense and time to craft his own plays to this effect. If this happens then MAYBE we could beat both Bama and UGA, but that won't happen or it already would have happened by now. 

This thread makes fear that Pigs will actually fly.......

Beat thuGA and the Updykes?

image.png

If we beat them both, I'll do a lap around my town's Courthouse Square wearing nothing but an Auburn flag as a cape...

21 minutes ago, Michael X said:

Beat thuGA and the Updykes?

image.png

If we beat them both, I'll do a lap around my town's Courthouse Square wearing nothing but an Auburn flag as a cape...

tenor.gif

3 hours ago, jAUSon said:

Yeah get Gus gone. Would actually solve everything. And because this team has so much talent- it might be solved overnight. 

Assuming you might be serious....there is little history out there to prove that....and like as not, the team would totally collapse..  I recall Brother Oliver a while back...and also what happened at South Carolina when Steve was eased out.  Basically when you fire a coach in mid season you have written off the season.

Blame it on talent maybe in those cases....but when I school gives up on the coach it's also giving up on team.   It's a real stretch to think that having some interim coach like Steele or whoever ....would increase the prospects for beating anyone left on our schedule.   

welp so much for a thoughtful discussion of areas improvements that could lead to victory. Everyone talks about how talented our team is but suddenly it's an impossibility for Auburn to win these two games. SMH. I get it Gus sucks can we move past that and actually discuss something productive. the first half team we saw in Baton Rouge could hang with any team in the nation. Let's don't act like the possibility of success isn't there

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Assuming you might be serious....there is little history out there to prove that....and like as not, the team would totally collapse..  I recall Brother Oliver a while back...and also what happened at South Carolina when Steve was eased out.  Basically when you fire a coach in mid season you have written off the season.

Blame it on talent maybe in those cases....but when I school gives up on the coach it's also giving up on team.   It's a real stretch to think that having some interim coach like Steele or whoever ....would increase the prospects for beating anyone left on our schedule.   

This situation is VERY unique. I can't think of an historic comparison to what we have here, and you're right, midseason dump is generally a bad idea. But I do 100% believe this team has a better chance against UGA, TAMU, and Bama without CGM. This isn't a regular "bad coach" scenario. CGM is going to force some more losses into this team of winners, whether you agree or not.

Serious we should fire the coach now? No. Plus it's not up to me.

Would the team play better the remainder of this season with an interem HC? Yes. 100%

But, as you alluded, there's a couple of games on there in which it likely won't make a dang who the coach is, saddly

4 hours ago, WarTim said:

This thread makes fear that Pigs will actually fly.......

I hope Steele game planned for that on Saturday. 

To beat UGA and Bammer:

1- Get everyone well

2- Actually have a game plan the uses our strengths on offense and attacks their weaknesses

3- Actually make halftime adjustments if said offensive game plan is not working and assume they are doing the same with their defense

4- Do not run the ball on first down 17 times in a row especially if that is not working

5- Show up for the second half

There are a lot of things our coaching staff on offense could do that would give us a chance.  Unfortunately they are probably not capable of doing it because the guru has lost his mojo.  Our best chance is for everyone on defense to get well and play their best games this season.  Get a couple of turnovers in FG range and that might give us a chance.

Slip a heavy dose of Metamucil in Gus's pregame Gatorade and wait for it to kick in. Then when he has to head to the locker room bring CL down to the sideline to call plays. 

19 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

To beat UGA and Bammer:

1- Get everyone well

2- Actually have a game plan the uses our strengths on offense and attacks their weaknesses

3- Actually make halftime adjustments if said offensive game plan is not working and assume they are doing the same with their defense

4- Do not run the ball on first down 17 times in a row especially if that is not working

5- Show up for the second half

There are a lot of things our coaching staff on offense could do that would give us a chance.  Unfortunately they are probably not capable of doing it because the guru has lost his mojo.  Our best chance is for everyone on defense to get well and play their best games this season.  Get a couple of turnovers in FG range and that might give us a chance.

Great idea, good luck with it.

7 hours ago, shabby said:

Offense:

No more Pettway

adjust to the blitz

Better run blocking

Defense

You make an interesting proposal here on ways that we could win out. However, if anything on the offense that you spelled out was going to happen it should have already been there. Defense has got to get better in the secondary which has been shaky the last few games. I wish I could actually go down the road that we could win out but with current staff I just see a bridge out ahead sign.

1. Get turnovers 

2. Don’t turn the ball over

3. Win the field position battle 

4. Throw the ball all over the field

5. Throw the ball to the running backs on delays out of the backfield or swing routes

6. QB has to run the ball

7. DBs have to play the ball more

8. Defense has to get pressure 

9. Defense has to stop the run game to under 150

Archived