Malzahn and Arkansas

doverstutts

He may have some initial success there but once he recruits his own players in there he will start going crazy with the mass substitutions and utopian personnel groupings hindering what makes the offense work and making it predictable.

Lou Holtz on XM radio once said you do your best coaching job in your first 2 years at a school. You are unbiased towards the kids because you have no prior relationship and you put the best player on the field. Then once you are hitting year 3 and beyond you now have an intricate web of promises to the kids and family members you have to navigate and you start putting more emphasis on seniority because you feel like you can trust them more since they've been in the program longer - - it's no longer 100% about putting the best player on the field now and you start to lose objectivity (think Gus' reluctance to name SW starter last year even though he was by far the best QB). I think Gus got caught up in this and maybe he opens his offense up initially at Arky but he may fall back into this cycle. However maybe the significantly less pressure to win at a high level at Arky allows him to not be so gutless making him avoid this pitfall. Either way as Stat Tiger pointer out in the "This loss will cost us our jobs threads" there are fundamental flaws in how Gus approaches offense so unless he truly changes that stuff he most likely will remain this way. 

If Gus can't trust the top 10 talent he has brought to AU and the calls on O reflect this, good luck trusting the kids you get to go to Arkansas LMAO

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Tiger said:

If he wants out let him freaking go. It's doing a disservice to the kids to have their leader be someone who's head and heart are not in it anymore. His judgement in regards to these kids is cloudy at best by throwing a crippled Sean White out there and then blaming it on SW (lost all respect for the man after that), running an obviously injured KP into the dirt, and actively trying to kill Kerryon imagine what happens when he actually checks out.

I don't know, I just hope we find out soon.

On 10/20/2017 at 8:37 AM, Auhud08 said:

Bielema left wisky before wisky left him. Wasnt a difficult hire albeit a “big” name. I think what plays in favor of gus is that hes “one of them”. Theyve seen him be successful in arkansas and as the Nabors stated he knows the coaching and the recruiting their. Plus less expectations, etc. wouldnt surprise me if theirs more chatter after this week. Watch bielema. 

I know Gus the Great is one of them but have they seen him coach lately? If they have and they still want him, he's all yours.

While this did cause me to chuckle....guys, it just ain't gonna happen.  

I will bring the car around for him as he carries his things out of the complex a la Tony Franklin Circa 2008! lol

On 10/19/2017 at 11:38 PM, Mikey said:

First, Arkansas would have to offer him the job. The U.of Arkansas is a major state university with deep pockets. They'll have a wide field to pick from if they decide to make a change. They won't be looking at any coach that's already on the hot seat at his current job. The idea of Gus to Arky, at this point, is nonsense.

Agree...but interesting to me is that in college football, getting fired is pretty much a career ender....or certainly is a huge setback.   Yet in NFL, NBA  and MLB, managers and coaches get fired.... and more often than not they get a similar new job before the next season starts. . 

Maybe because in professional sports, fans have ZERO influence in who gets hired or fired.   Owners do what they think benefits their team, not what makes their fans happy.  Perhaps that's the biggest advantage of their being just one boss instead of thousands of them who have no financial stake in the outcome of their preferences.

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree...but interesting to me is that in college football, getting fired is pretty much a career ender....or certainly is a huge setback.   Yet in NFL, NBA  and MLB, managers and coaches get fired.... and more often than not they get a similar new job before the next season starts. . 

Maybe because in professional sports, fans have ZERO influence in who gets hired or fired.   Owners do what they think benefits their team, not what makes their fans happy.  Perhaps that's the biggest advantage of their being just one boss instead of thousands of them who have no financial stake in the outcome of their preferences.

So are you in favor of keeping Gus if/when we lose to both UGA and Bama again and were you in favor of keeping Chizik in 2012?

wde

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

He may have some initial success there but once he recruits his own players in there he will start going crazy with the mass substitutions and utopian personnel groupings hindering what makes the offense work and making it predictable.

Lou Holtz on XM radio once said you do your best coaching job in your first 2 years at a school. You are unbiased towards the kids because you have no prior relationship and you put the best player on the field. Then once you are hitting year 3 and beyond you now have an intricate web of promises to the kids and family members you have to navigate and you start putting more emphasis on seniority because you feel like you can trust them more since they've been in the program longer - - it's no longer 100% about putting the best player on the field now and you start to lose objectivity (think Gus' reluctance to name SW starter last year even though he was by far the best QB). I think Gus got caught up in this and maybe he opens his offense up initially at Arky but he may fall back into this cycle. However maybe the significantly less pressure to win at a high level at Arky allows him to not be so gutless making him avoid this pitfall. Either way as Stat Tiger pointer out in the "This loss will cost us our jobs threads" there are fundamental flaws in how Gus approaches offense so unless he truly changes that stuff he most likely will remain this way.

Interesting because we've seen some similar stuff with Bielema. We have a guy named TJ Hammonds who is one of our most explosive players and gets 8-11 yards every time he touches the ball but our coaches refuse to get him involved in the game. And then we have former walk-ons starting on the OL while several highly touted 4*s sit on the bench and the OL struggles. Can't figure it out, Bielema is stubborn and doesn't change things that aren't working until it's far too late.

I don’t know anything about Arkansas’s administration, but I would be shocked if they hired Gus.  Face it, his resume, other than his first year as the HC, is pitiful.  His wins are inflated because of cupcakes. 

My best idea:  we buy out half of Brett's contract, Arky pays half and it creates the opening for Gus.   He goes to Arky and we don't owe him a buyout!  Cheap way to go and everyone is happy.

Dang!  That's smart:  both schools get upgrades for less than $3mil each.

40 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

So are you in favor of keeping Gus if/when we lose to both UGA and Bama again and were you in favor of keeping Chizik in 2012?

wde

my comment regarded the attractiveness of Gus to another school if we fired him (Arkansas in particular) ....and the difference of college and professional sports....nothing else...

On 10/19/2017 at 8:01 PM, JDUBB4AU said:

This makes sense quiet frankly. Arkansas is his dream job

And coaching Arkansas talent is his ceiling.  It makes perfect sense all the way around.  He won't have to worry about unrealistic expectations, nor will he deliver any pleasantly unexpected results.

1 hour ago, gohogs14 said:

Interesting because we've seen some similar stuff with Bielema. We have a guy named TJ Hammonds who is one of our most explosive players and gets 8-11 yards every time he touches the ball but our coaches refuse to get him involved in the game. And then we have former walk-ons starting on the OL while several highly touted 4*s sit on the bench and the OL struggles. Can't figure it out, Bielema is stubborn and doesn't change things that aren't working until it's far too late.

Sounds familiar LOL

I can only imagine it makes you guys just as mad. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

my comment regarded the attractiveness of Gus to another school if we fired him (Arkansas in particular) ....and the difference of college and professional sports....nothing else...

But this whole "story" is about him jumping ship not him getting fired from AU. That's how I understood it. He could get out in front of the firing and just find a new landing spot and it he wouldn't have as big of a blemish to his name.

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

But this whole "story" is about him jumping ship not him getting fired from AU. That's how I understood it. He could get out in front of the firing and just find a new landing spot and it he wouldn't have as big of a blemish to his name.

I guess in this case there could be a fine line between jumping....or being pushed.  Either way it is a remote possibility.

On 10/21/2017 at 10:08 AM, ToomersStreet said:

But beilema is  supposedly looking to leave he SEC o his own.  So no buyout for  Arkansas

And if the powers that be want to be shed of Gustav, maybe they'd wish him well at Arky and waive the buyout to help get it done. I don't think the vast majority of the AU fan base, at least the fan base that's on the message boards, would be too upset if that were to happen. ;) 

6 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

And if the powers that be want to be shed of Gustav, maybe they'd wish him well at Arky and waive the buyout to help get it done. I don't think the vast majority of the AU fan base, at least the fan base that's on the message boards, would be too upset if that were to happen. ;) 

houston nutt, ole miss and arky had some kind of deal like that several years ago.....how they structured it, i can't remember

Archived