does lsu loss carry over

aubiefifty

Auburn Football

Can Auburn prevent bad LSU loss from affecting game with Arkansas?

Posted on October 18, 2017 at 6:16 PM

Gallery: Auburn at LSU: Oct. 14, 2017

236 shares

By James Crepea

jcrepea@al.com

Auburn has seen how one gut-wrenching loss can lead to another.

The 2014 loss to Texas A&M, when Auburn's furious rally was derailed by two turnovers, led to the ensuing rout at Georgia and two more losses came in the next three games.

The No. 21 Tigers (5-2, 3-1 SEC) want to prevent the loss at LSU from impacting them at Arkansas on Saturday.

"That is our biggest challenge here," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "I truly believe our players, our leadership and our coaches won't let that happen. You can tell that when we got back Sunday, they're still hurting. But (Monday) our guys, they put it behind them and they'll be ready to play.

"I really believe in this team and I believe that we'll bounce back and not only will we bounce back, but we'll have a chance to finish this thing like we wanted to when we first started the season."

Safety Stephen Roberts was a freshman during the 2014 season and saw how one bad loss could lead to another and derail what had been a promising season.

"Either you can rebuild, or you can fall apart," Roberts said. "That's one thing we focused on this year is rebuilding. You may take a loss. Like our coaches were saying, in the NFL, there's teams that have lost that still make Super Bowl. It's all about how you rebuild and focus on the task."

Roberts is among the players stressing to teammates that much of what Auburn hopes to accomplish is still possible, but they've got to leave the loss in Baton Rouge in the past.

"It's big that we still have leadership that can bring the team together," he said, "and still be a winning team."

It's difficult to put disappointment behind though and Auburn's sideline was somber late in the game at Tiger Stadium, well before the final offensive possession was done.

"When you spill your guts out there on the field like those guys did (Saturday) it's supposed to hurt," tight ends coach Larry Porter said during a postgame radio interview. "They're supposed to be disappointed but we can't allow one to cost us two."

By comparison, Arkansas (2-4, 0-3 SEC) will be looking for its first SEC win. Even overmatched, the Razorbacks have little to lose in their quest to be bowl eligible and a win over Auburn would be their first over a Power 5 team this season.

"I can't control Gus or Auburn, all I can do is worry about our game plan and the way we execute," Arkansas coach Bret Bielema said. "It's a big game because we're 2-4 and to get back on track we'll need a huge step in the right direction on Saturday."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really despise Malzahn.  Seems like anything that comes out of his mouth is a lie.  He doesn't believe in this team or his coaching staff.  It shows in the playcalling.  Yet another wasted season with far too much unrealized potential.  

Well Malzahn put my mind at ease yesterday on tigertalk. He said our guys were really upset over the loss and had their best Tuesday practice of the season followed by two good practices on Wednesday and Thursday. 

of course it can, LSU can beat us twice maybe three times.

The players have to put it behind them. Hopefully they are mad focused and determined.

A word missing from Gus gameplan..FINISH

"but we'll have a chance to finish this thing"

had it last week too but didn't.

Fans wont get over last week until next years game unfortunately.

I don’t think that you have to worry about the results of the LSU game, just worry that Gus wil still be on the sideline. The master of disaster will be interjecting his thoughts into the game, therefore we are in serious trouble. 

The only thing to fear is the continued appearance of the Gus that laid the golden egg in the second half of the LSU game. If he makes another appearance at Arky (or anywhere else for that matter) then Auburn will be in trouble. 

I do not think it will with players.   It certainly has with fans. 

In 5 years we've only had 1 loss cost us 2 and that was TAMU/UGA in 2014.

Our goals were obliterated with that TAMU loss and I think the staff has been hammering in the kids heads that if we win out we can still go to Atlanta. So I don't think we will just lay down.

Unless the kids have given up on Gus like they did to Chiz vs Arky in 2012.

No, we will kill Arkansas and the same few will come and say how wrong everyone was. We will win out until the UGA game and the momentum will bring those in hiding back out. CGM can win against the pathetic teams. Never had any problem with that.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

No, we will kill Arkansas and the same few will come and say how wrong everyone was. We will win out until the UGA game and the momentum will bring those in hiding back out. CGM can win against the pathetic teams. Never had any problem with that.

I still believe A&M is going to be hard for us to beat.  Even if we do find a way to beat A&M, UGA and Bama are going to abuse us.

wde

2 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

I still believe A&M is going to be hard for us to beat.  Even if we do find a way to beat A&M, UGA and Bama are going to abuse us.

wde

I feel like we will beat the aggies on the strength that they are one of the leagues worst in giving up big plays , which is all Gus lives for . 

Hope the LSU loss will shock the coaching staff into a sense of urgency...there is plenty of talent available.

I think our guys come out spitting nails tomorrow. They know last weeks "thing" wasn't on them and I think they have some frustrations they need to get out.

This is what will happen. Gus will somehow get his 3rd and 4th quarters confused with the 1st and 2nd quarters. We will fall behind 20-0 in the 1st and 2nd quarter and then play lights out and win the game 49-27 in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

Gus will say with a sheepish grin. "I thought the first half of the game was the last half and I will not let that happen next week or the weeks after."

10 hours ago, WarTim said:

I do not think it will with players.   It certainly has with fans. 

The only way we shake this loss is in Atlanta. Not saying it is but It could be the wake up call Gus needed. Players I think are okay. 

The press conference Tuesday had to have had an effect. 

12 minutes ago, alexava said:

The only way we shake this loss is in Atlanta. Not saying it is but It could be the wake up call Gus needed. Players I think are okay. 

The press conference Tuesday had to have had an effect. 

You mean blowing up a lead in the natty game wasn't a wake up call?

14 hours ago, DAG said:

I feel like we will beat the aggies on the strength that they are one of the leagues worst in giving up big plays , which is all Gus lives for . 

Hope you are right!

wde

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

Hope the LSU loss will shock the coaching staff into a sense of urgency...there is plenty of talent available.

The staff?  Check out the “This game could cost us our jobs” thread.  I think the staff has a sense of urgency.  It’s the HC that needs the sense of urgency and the realization things need to change.  Time will tell.

no way the lsu loss carries over...  i mean, gus promised “it wouldn’t happen again”...  i hope he relayed to the team that “it’s not the end of the world”...   arkansas better get ready for a gus malzahn led pillow fight!!!

3 hours ago, Altima said:

no way the lsu loss carries over...  i mean, gus promised “it wouldn’t happen again”...  i hope he relayed to the team that “it’s not the end of the world”...   arkansas better get ready for a gus malzahn led pillow fight!!!

But seriously, Gus does get up for this game unlike LSU and UGA.

wde

On 10/20/2017 at 12:42 PM, Tiger said:

In 5 years we've only had 1 loss cost us 2 and that was TAMU/UGA in 2014.

Our goals were obliterated with that TAMU loss and I think the staff has been hammering in the kids heads that if we win out we can still go to Atlanta. So I don't think we will just lay down.

Unless the kids have given up on Gus like they did to Chiz vs Arky in 2012.

I disagree. I think every mediocre season since then was all directly associated with that 2014 loss. Gus has not been the same offensively since that loss. It has really all been downhill.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I disagree. I think every mediocre season since then was all directly associated with that 2014 loss. Gus has not been the same offensively since that loss. It has really all been downhill.

That definitely was the turning point. We have been in a tailspin ever since CAP/Nick Marshall botched that exchange. It's so bizarre. 

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

That definitely was the turning point. We have been in a tailspin ever since CAP/Nick Marshall botched that exchange. It's so bizarre. 

Besides the bama game in 2014 gus has NEVER been the same play caller. He has never had the same philosophy either. He became ultra conservative and it never changed. He lost his killer instinct and aggression. He never has stepped on the throat since. Our whole program has been in a tailspin since then as you said. He has to go. This is not the guy we hired. AU is getting majorly robbed paying 4 mill a year to be a 8-5 program.

Archived