So FSU is 2-4

AUCE05

I am still fuming over the LSU game.   Not sure I will recover this year.   My brain is telling me to be careful though.   If we fire Gus, could we get a better coach?    Could the LSU lose be blamed on losing two OL starters, Tre Williams, Trey Matthews, and a gimmpy Kam Pett?    Someone knock some sense into me.    FSU is a prime example that outside of Saban, every other coach in the country has 2-3 average seasons every 5 years.  

And FSU really only lost that one key player, their QB. Oh, and we lost Casey Dunn and Mike Horton on the O line. Don't forget them. I KNOW that the coaches contributed to the loss, but I am convinced they are overprotecting Stidham right now, because we don't want to end up like FSU. It backfired for them.

Has PTB said anything about Bubba? Or any of the injured players? Because I trust nothing Gus says about them.

If nothing else, I think we need to get rid of Russell. I mean, we’re better off conditionally than we were then when Yox had his power stripped in 2011 and 12, but I don’t believe in four straight years of injuries to this extent.

Having said that, I fully believe we would have won had Gus gone for it on that 4th and 1.

Oh. And hahaha about FSU.

1 hour ago, tiger88 said:

Jimbo was only an above average coach with fame-is jameis. 

Most college coaches are only as good as their QBs.....Jimbo included.

2 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Maybe we can get Jimbo???

:)  And you think Gus is conservative and predictable...:

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Most college coaches are only as good as their QBs.....Jimbo included.

True to an extent. He has had some good qb's, though. At FSU, with that recruiting advantage, you should never be 2-4. 

Losing Mickie Andrew's can't be overlooked either. Their D has sucked all but one year maybe since he left. That's on jimbo and the AD I suppose. 

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

:)  And you think Gus is conservative and predictable...:

At least he knows how to use his quarterbacks, is a good recruiter and plays with a wide open offense? :dunno:

9 hours ago, tiger88 said:

True to an extent. He has had some good qb's, though. At FSU, with that recruiting advantage, you should never be 2-4. 

Losing Mickie Andrew's can't be overlooked either. Their D has sucked all but one year maybe since he left. That's on jimbo and the AD I suppose. 

I think that has been a big issue this season.  As for offense,...I've watched at least part of several games and their offense is pretty dead without a good QB...but defense is not what it has been in previous years.

2-4 when you are supposed to be going to the play-offs is serious "fail" though the ACC can be pretty tough... JMO

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think that has been a big issue this season.  As for offense,...I've watched at least part of several games and their offense is pretty dead without a good QB...but defense is not what it has been in previous years.

2-4 when you are supposed to be going to the play-offs is serious "fail" though the ACC can be pretty tough... JMO

Yes, it's been a major issue for them. They have also had serious offensive line issues the last two years, and a very porous defense. 

Fsu is a recruiters wet dream and jf has reaped the benefits while he's been there. His results have been almost gus-like to this point, he just had two really good years with the crab thief. Now, he is completely pooping the bed this year. 

He's an underperforming tool bag without winston.  

I'd take him. Florida State would be crazy to get rid of Fisher just like Georgia was in getting rid of Richt. But he could be a cheap steal come end of the year. I'd be pretty comfortable with *averaging* 10 wins a years

8 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I'd take him. Florida State would be crazy to get rid of Fisher just like Georgia was in getting rid of Richt. But he could be a cheap steal come end of the year. I'd be pretty comfortable with *averaging* 10 wins a years

I don't see them getting rid of him...but as my stock broker says, "past performance is no guarantee of future results"....but as noted above he should never be without a top QB and a couple 4* or 5*  RBs at any given time. 

On the other hand...the ACC is catching up with him and some of the automatic wins of the past are no longer available.  I could be wrong but I don't see him as an elite coach...but a guy in the right place for himself.

Meh, he cursed out a fan, big deal.  At least he's not throwing his players and coaches under the bus or lying straight to the fans like ours is. "better execution, Chip called the plays, etc..

His qb got hurt, he probably gets a pass this year. 

lol I would take jimbo in a heartbeat. He has 10 win seasons in the 6 of his 7 seasons coming in to this year. The fact that some AU fans would turn their noses up at jimbo blows my mind. Dude is a elite recruiter and we would get a big boost if we hired him. This could be the year to get him since fsu fans are getting antsy. We would win a sec title next year with Stidham and these WR's under jimbo's tutelage. Dude is one of the best QB developers in the country if not the best. He got EJ Manuel and Christian Ponder to be drafted first round....... They lost some great dc's in the past few years. Mark Stoops and Jeremy Pruitt is tough to replace. Let's just thank God Charles Kelley said no to us...........

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

I don't see them getting rid of him...but as my stock broker says, "past performance is no guarantee of future results"....but as noted above he should never be without a top QB and a couple 4* or 5*  RBs at any given time. 

On the other hand...the ACC is catching up with him and some of the automatic wins of the past are no longer available.  I could be wrong but I don't see him as an elite coach...but a guy in the right place for himself.

When it comes to people, past performance as an indicator of future results is about as a sure fire winning bet as they come. 

So says my interviewer training class anyway.  

10 hours ago, AUFlyer99 said:

When it comes to people, past performance as an indicator of future results is about as a sure fire winning bet as they come. 

That may be true, if no other circumstances change. The circumstances at FSU and AU are vastly different, with the AU job being the more challenging by far.

I find it interesting that people here are howling for the head of a coach whose team is 6-2 and are willing to replace him with a coach who is 2-4. Also, why should Jimbo get a pass for an injured QB this year? He shouldn't, unless you are also going to give Gus a pass for having an injured QB last year.

11 hours ago, AUFlyer99 said:

I think that applies to about everyone one except coaches and managers of sports teams.  

The more apt cliche' is that coaches and managers are "hired to be fired"......and previous history could possibly be an indicator of future success...but far too often it turns out to be irrelevant. :dunno: 

Many times, conditions that make a coach successful elsewhere  (weak schedules, easy recruiting, catching a really good player who carries the team a few years, etc) .do not exist to the same extent at a new coaching slot and the guy never recreates what made him successful.   

In your interview training class you probably also learn to watch out for job-hoppers who never stay anywhere long enough to establish a real track record of success.

Problem today is you never get to learn if the guy is a sprinter (which most are) or a marathon runner because they have one or two good years for reasons noted above.....and off they go to get the money from some higher level and richer school.   That seems to be the more common condition these days and thus, like signing HS quarterbacks, it's mostly a roll of the dice.   JMO

Archived