***Auburn 52 Arkansas 20 -- Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

27 minutes ago, FASTCOMPANY said:

Needless to say but I'll say it anyway: Our season and Gus' job falls on the outcome of the UGA & Bammer games. We already lost 2 VERY winnable games, that all but eliminated us from Playoff contention. God forbid we go down to TAMU and lay an egg. This win did absolutely nothing for my confidence in Gustav.....

the season hinged on those two games anyway. And i don’t think Au playoff chances are out the window. Bleak but not out the window.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

I'm just in here reading along. Ark was a nice win, but it's just impossible for me to give a dang after the LSU game. I saw this as the "overcompensate" game, and I believe I was correct. Plus Arkansas is Gus's most important game, which just.........pisses me off. 

I know what you mean.  Gus was more pissed off after the officials missed the blocks in the back on their kick return TD than I have seen him all year even though the game was over at that point.  I wish he was half that involved when he was pissing away the Clemson and LSU games.  Maybe he could have lit a fire under them.  

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Notre dame is good. Uga May be better than alabama. We will have to play the best game we have played in years. 

they get Miami and a very good NC St team. They could very well have two losses. November is the month for a lot of teams including Auburn. Side note i really like the Nc St coach...someone to keep an eye on. Don’t be surprised if he lands in the SEC somewhere....

Good win for the players.

Good time for a week off to heal up for the final part of the season.

8 weeks into the season and still waiting to see all the TE pass's that come with the "Chip Lindsey " offense that he brought from ASU.

The 1st and 2nd team D gave up 6 points last night, got several sacks and caused a few fumbles, which is exactly what the are supposed to do.

The love the effort of all the true freshman defensive players last night at the mid 3rd quarter and all the 4th quarter. They got some sacks and almost a fumble.

Malik Miller needs to play the whole 2nd half against ULM, that kid is special!!!!! Joey Gatewood is defiantly destined for a redshirt.

Why we run up the middle after every big chunk play is beyond me? Why are we that predictable my daughter calls that play now?

Darius Slayton had a career night BUT still drops to many passes.

Why does Slayton drop passes and still get targeted and NCM either gets nothing thrown at him or just one catch. NCM said CKB says if you not getting the ball then your not doing something right. I guess NCM needs to start dropping passes in practice. 

I will say this years offense molded with the talent we have does what it should do, score lots of point against weak teams.

Special Team 2nd week in a row they give up a touchdown????? Horton might need to pull a bama and put starters in. 

8 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Special Team 2nd week in a row they give up a touchdown????? Horton might need to pull a bama and put starters in. 

I thought Porter coach special teams... I could be wrong

42 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I watched Bammer and UT yesterday.  Part of it anyway.  What they do down on the goal line is put a defensive tackle as a lead blocker.  It works very well for them.  I'm wondering when we go to the wildcat and everyone in the place knows what's coming (Kerryon up the middle) why we don't put Marlon Davidson or one of our other big athletic guys in as a lead blocker.  I was concerned that Arky (with a weak defensive front) was able to stop the run down on the goal line.  A big athletic D lineman coming behind Braden Smith and Golson would create a push that I don't think anyone could stop.  

Was that what the sportscaster referred to as the "Elephant Package?" Must admit, the phrase left me with a rather unsettling mental image.

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Notre dame is good. 

Are they?  I'm not so sure.  They beat a USC team that has not played all that well this season and has beaten no one of real note this year.  They lost to UGA by a point and if you look at UGA's schedule, well, I guess I'm with the folks that are saying UGA hasn't exactly faced a murderer's row.

Maybe Notre Dame is good. I don't know. Right now, outside of bammer**, I'm having a hard time telling who is actually good from who is lucky and who has run up W's and scores by playing a weak schedule.  I reckon it will all shake out in the weeks ahead.

**As much as I hate it, I am pretty sure that bammer is actually very good.  Not unbeatable, but very good.

I will give credit to the coaching staff for this game. Our defense delivered a solid performance and you have to love those kids giving it their all.  The defensive coaching staff deserves kudos 110%.

From here on out, I am going to give credit to coaching staffs and stay away from Gus in the process. I will give Gus some credit for this game, but the jury is still very much out on him as a winning HC capable of beating any team on our schedule. Our offensive staff did a pretty darn good job last night.  

I am curious to see the Lsu and bammer game. My gut is that Lsu will lose that one by a score of 38-14. They will not match up well against them. Lsu will lose to TAMU and bammer finishing 8-4.

Right now, I feel that we are the only team in the SEC that has a chance of matching up against the turds.  I have a feeling that Florida might, I mean might sneak up on the mutts next week. I would love to see them take a loss against the gators.

I feel that we are the 2nd best team that can match up with Uga with bammer being the 1st.. Does this mean we will beat them? Maybe a 40% chance if we play 4 quarters like we did the 2nd half of Ark.

Gus will remain on thin ice the rest of the season. If we win out......if.......if.......who knows folks. There is a chance. Not a huge chance, but a chance.

My view is to win the SEC and have a special season we would have had to beat Georgia and bama anyway, so nothing has changed. With the LSU loss we have less room for error but the team goal is still intact. It's all there for the guys so just do it.

None of the speculating about playoffs even matters because a 2 loss team would have to become SEC champions FIRST. But I will add this to the discussion. An 11-2 SEC champion, one that beat bama, Georgia twice, lost to Clemson by 8, had their 1 brain lock loss to LSU, would be under very serious consideration. But just win the SEC first. 

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

Are they?  I'm not so sure.  They beat a USC team that has not played all that well this season and has beaten no one of real note this year.  They lost to UGA by a point and if you look at UGA's schedule, well, I guess I'm with the folks that are saying UGA hasn't exactly faced a murderer's row.

Maybe Notre Dame is good. I don't know. Right now, outside of bammer**, I'm having a hard time telling who is actually good from who is lucky and who has run up W's and scores by playing a weak schedule.  I reckon it will all shake out in the weeks ahead.

**As much as I hate it, I am pretty sure that bammer is actually very good.  Not unbeatable, but very good.

Watching Note Dame play last night I was really impressed with their QB. I thought he made Nick Marshall look like...me. Seriously, I thought he made the difference last night for the Irish.

I like how folks will give Gus every benefit of the doubt when he beats teams like Mizzou, Ole Miss and Arky and talk about how its crazy that some want him gone and at the same time they will judge other team's schedules and say they haven't beaten anyone...you can't have it both ways.  Either the schedule matters or it doesn't.  Georgia has looked impressive against the crap teams and they went on the road and won in South Bend against a currently 1-loss ND team.  That's a better road win than we have right now although maybe you could argue that LSU would have been a better win if Gus hadn't peed his pants in the 2nd half.  Georgia has won every game they played which we also cannot say.  Georgia hasn't wet the bed yet.  We have twice.  Maybe they will this week against their nemesis the Gators but I doubt it.  I still think we can beat Georgia if Gus leaves the offense the hell alone but lets not sit here and say they haven't beaten anyone because neither has Auburn.  

5 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

This.  thUGA is not that good.  

I concede, maybe Georgia has only played crap teams. But they have executed very well and run their Offense and defense well. Something Auburn hasn't done either consistently. That is the difference between UGA and AU. Execution is the key in winning, because when you play a good team you can win with less talent and execute well. When you play any team and execute poorly then you lose almost all the time. JMHO

Just now, 1856 said:

This.  thUGA is not that good.  

I agree for the most part.  The SEC overall is very, very weak this year.  Beating up on lower tier SEC teams does not say much.  I don’t think UGA, as well as they have played, is a championship caliber team, but we will see.  

Furthermore, the last several years the SEC has been declining.  It is hard to argue anymore that just because you play and win in the SEC, that means you’re a championship caliber team IMO.

2 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

I agree for the most part.  The SEC overall is very, very weak this year.  Beating up on lower tier SEC teams does not say much.  I don’t think UGA, as well as they have played, is a championship caliber team, but we will see.  

Furthermore, the last several years the SEC has been declining.  It is hard to argue anymore that just because you play and win in the SEC, that means you’re a championship caliber team IMO.

I agree other conferences have caught up with the SEC. we used to dominate the line of scrimmage but that is not necessarily the case anymore. That being said I do not think that Gus is capable of running the schedule out and not interfering with the offense. I am very happy for our young men for winning last night but that in itself does not change my opinion on wether Gus should go or not. Since Gus has been here we have seen the same outcomes win against inferior teams and go into lock down against better teams. We have had turnover in our defensive staff every year. So last night does not change my opinion on the direction that Gus has this team going.

2 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

From what I hear, just about 100% of the respect that UGA has in the rankings is because of their win over Notre Dame.....as ND prospers, UGA looks good by comparison.....and goes along for the same ride. 

Folks...take a look at their schedule...:  http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-17/2017-georgia-bulldogs-football-schedule.php

There is no other win on Georgia's schedule that justifies them being ranked higher that 20th in the polls.  Beat MSU in Athens....but otherwise a total marsh mellow schedule to this point....and a suspect Florida team coming up.    That's why I'm not particularly worried about UGA...

The  only thing I’ll say is Georgia has simply taken care of business. Even with weak opponents they look well coached.  They don’t seem to take games off. I hate them but I think they are a very solid team. My dislike for them is extremely close to Bama !

I love how everyone is down talking an unbeaten Georgia team while our team has 2 losses, one of which is a really bad one after blowing a 20 point lead.  I certainly hope UGA is as bad as some of you think but we have to hope we are good enough to beat the Aggies first. 

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

From what I hear, just about 100% of the respect that UGA has in the rankings is because of their win over Notre Dame.....as ND prospers, UGA looks good by comparison.....and goes along for the same ride. 

Folks...take a look at their schedule...:  http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-17/2017-georgia-bulldogs-football-schedule.php

There is no other win on Georgia's schedule that justifies them being ranked higher that 20th in the polls.  Beat MSU in Athens....but otherwise a total marsh mellow schedule to this point....and a suspect Florida team coming up.    That's why I'm not particularly worried about UGA...

I believe they will have a VERY tough time against UF, and possibly get upset.  Here's to hoping that them not having any quality opponents, coupled with playing in JHS, yields the good guys a win this year in The Deep South's Oldest Rivalry. Auburn is due for a win against thUGA. 

9 hours ago, corchjay said:

I thought Porter coach special teams... I could be wrong

Porter is recruiting coordinator. Horton is Special Teams Coordinator. Maybe the 10th coach we should go get is bringing Coach Fountain back. We didn't have these issue when he was in charge of Special Teams. 

Did anyone notice that it was not until the start of the second half that we looked good, quick and unpredictable on offence? It was also only in the second half when Bubba started looking like his old self. I like the new concept of making adjustments at halftime.   

So based on the conversation, there shouldn’t be any excuse for us to not beat UGA. I don’t want to hear any crap about them being the number 2 team in the nation.

Also Penn State should be ranked #1. We are talking about UGA not playing anyone . As anyone seen Bama’s Schedule ? 

Archived