More aggressive vs. Arkansas

AUTiger2012

2 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Watching the replay and laughed so hard when the Arky lineman "fell down" on purpose on our first drive trying to stop our HUNH and Stidham ran into the endzone. 

Yeah, and then he jumped right up all upset because the refs didn’t stop play.  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

In fairness to Bielema, Arkansas' recruiting has been bested by most of the conference.  I am not sure how much of that is Bielema's fault, instead of merely a symptom of the difficulty in recruiting there.  His average of 7 and 8 win seasons may just be the ceiling there for anything other than an exceptional coach.  I think Bielema has a more compelling case than Gus does for retaining him, even with worse results.

He has one of the worst winning percentages in our history regardless. Petrino and Nutt both had more success than he has had by now.

IMG_0641.JPG

11 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

He has one of the worst winning percentages in our history regardless. Petrino and Nutt both had more success than he has had by now.

My point was more that Gus is underachieving at a program with nearly a decade of top 10 recruiting under its belt, most of which he was involved in as offensive coordinator or head coach, while Bielema's classes have been ranked in the 20's and 30's.  Bielema is mostly doing what objective people would expect of him, with what he has to work with.  For the record, I consider Bielema to be an average coach, and I think he has produced average results.  I think Petrino is a good coach.  I think Nutt coached in a different SEC landscape, but I consider him average too.  Petrino left Arkansas no choice but to fire him, but he was definitely the best of your last three coaches.

If Arkansas announced Bielema's firing today (or at season's end), I would understand and mostly agree with their decision.  If they decided to keep him, I would understand that too.

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

My point was more that Gus is underachieving at a program with nearly a decade of top 10 recruiting under its belt, most of which he was involved in as offensive coordinator or head coach, while Bielema's classes have been ranked in the 20's and 30's.  Bielema is mostly doing what objective people would expect of him, with what he has to work with.  For the record, I consider Bielema to be an average coach, and I think he has produced average results.  I think Petrino is a good coach.  I think Nutt coached in a different SEC landscape, but I consider him average too.  Petrino left Arkansas no choice but to fire him, but he was definitely the best of your last three coaches.

If Arkansas announced Bielema's firing today (or at season's end), I would understand and mostly agree with their decision.  If they decided to keep him, I would understand that too.

If you go by recruiting rankings we're the 8th or 9th best team in the last 5 years, but going by record we are 12th or 13th. It looked for a while like he was trending up but the "WTF" losses to Rutgers, Toledo, Texas Tech, Missouri and VT after having a 24 point lead started to pile up. Then this year we'll probably finish last in the west for the second time under him when we'd never done it before. We've lost 8 straight games against P5 teams dating back to last year. There's no way we should be THIS bad no matter what the expectations are IMO.

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

I think Bielema has a more compelling case than Gus does for retaining him, even with worse results.

Both have been given ample time to show significant improvement. Neither has. The lone exception is that Gus’s record includes a 12 win season to start his career. 

As for Bert, he went from 3 to 7 to 8 and then started to tail off and he will be lucky to have 6 wins this season. He doesn’t have a recruiting advantage but he doesnt develop his players very well either. Have to have one or the other or both, preferably both. 

18 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Arkansas would be fools to keep BB

@gohogs14, what is your opinion on Arky hiring Gus? I know why Gus would be attracted to Arkansas but not vice versa? Unless, you think like some of our fans that the PTB is meddling, what you see from Gus at Auburn is what you will get.

Also, what is your opinion on hiring Petrino back? He can develop and he can recruit some. Your offenses used to be scary. And in hindsight, giving a mistress a job isn’t that heinous of a violation. 

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

Arkansas would be fools to keep BB

As much as Gus needs to be fired, Fat Bret and Butch Jones are far worse than Gus.

wde

11 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Kind of lame to pull the trick.play  against them when the game was out of hand instead of saving it for the aggies. 

To his credit, we did try to run this earlier in the game when we only had 10 points. Timeout was called right as we were snapping. I did think the same though. 

Gus typically comes up with 2-3 unique plays that we might run in each game to take advantage of one of our own tendencies. Atleast we actually completed the play. Would’ve been awful had it fallen incomplete.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Both have been given ample time to show significant improvement. Neither has. The lone exception is that Gus’s record includes a 12 win season to start his career. 

As for Bert, he went from 3 to 7 to 8 and then started to tail off and he will be lucky to have 6 wins this season. He doesn’t have a recruiting advantage but he doesnt develop his players very well either. Have to have one or the other or both, preferably both. 

Bielema having a more compelling case does not necessarily mean that either of them have a very good one.  All I am really saying about Bielema is that I can completely understand Arkansas keeping or firing him.  At the very least, I think the majority of the Arkansas fanbase wants him fired, and I probably would too if I were an Arkansas fan.  I think Arkansas wants to be a consistent contender in the SEC West, and not just a stop on the schedule that the contenders have to pass through.  Bielema is an average coach, and I think it takes more than an average coach to accomplish and sustain that at Arkansas.

1 hour ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

To his credit, we did try to run this earlier in the game when we only had 10 points. Timeout was called right as we were snapping. I did think the same though. 

Gus typically comes up with 2-3 unique plays that we might run in each game to take advantage of one of our own tendencies. Atleast we actually completed the play. Would’ve been awful had it fallen incomplete.

Yeah I missed the first half. We still should have had something in store for LSU when we went cold. I like the play, just wrong opponent that late in the game. 

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

@gohogs14, what is your opinion on Arky hiring Gus? I know why Gus would be attracted to Arkansas but not vice versa? Unless, you think like some of our fans that the PTB is meddling, what you see from Gus at Auburn is what you will get.

Also, what is your opinion on hiring Petrino back? He can develop and he can recruit some. Your offenses used to be scary. And in hindsight, giving a mistress a job isn’t that heinous of a violation. 

Honestly I think Petrino may be past his prime now, he hasn't been that great at Louisville and is 1-9 against top 25 teams. Using state funds to put your mistress on the payroll ahead of other (more qualified) candidates who wanted the job is pretty serious IMO. Easy way to get sued.

I don't think Gus would be the worst we could do but I'd rather take a chance on an up and comer. Some of our big money people will push getting an "Arkansas guy" this time though since Bielema didn't work out.

3 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Using state funds to put your mistress on the payroll ahead of other (more qualified) candidates who wanted the job is pretty serious IMO. Easy way to get sued.

Unqualified personnel gets put on the administration all the time just from a recruiting standpoint. That’s an old trick of Bama’s. I think the biggest issue was that he was lying to the AD. 

16 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

don't think Gus would be the worst we could do but I'd rather take a chance on an up and comer.

He’s not the worth the heartburn, but if I’m wrong, I don’t want to face him every year either. Hopefully y’all will just hire a newcomer. 

7 hours ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I still don't think I saw a single pass to the middle of the field. 

There was one, but Slayton dropped it. Guy couldn't catch a cold in Antarctica while wearing a wet jock strap.

7 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

There was one, but Slayton dropped it. Guy couldn't catch a cold in Antarctica while wearing a wet jock strap.

Yep, I saw one the first drive of the third quarter. There was no one in middle of the field, some separation and it would have been a big play. And a catch. He has had a lot of drops the past two weeks. I wish we could call those plays to NCM, Ryan Davis,
Eli Stove and a TE and hell...McClain.

1 minute ago, mustache eagle said:

There was another ... tv guys went on about stidham holding ball too long and getting crunched.  The cross was there and he didn’t throw it

Stidham is developing a bad habit of tap dancing. It takes time for him to then set his feet and throw, if he bothers to set them at all.  A coach should address that with him, but I expect they won't.

1 hour ago, caleb1633 said:

LOL.  I was thinking the same thing, although later in the game he had a couple of catches.  He's way too inconsistent.  If Ryan Davis goes down our passing game will be hosed.

7 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

Watching the replay and laughed so hard when the Arky lineman "fell down" on purpose on our first drive trying to stop our HUNH and Stidham ran into the endzone. 

If you noticed he jumped up as the runner went by him and ran into the end zone jumping up and down because they didn’t make the call. SEC office ought to suspend him a half game for faking it.

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

Stidham is developing a bad habit of tap dancing. It takes time for him to then set his feet and throw, if he bothers to set them at all.  A coach should address that with him, but I expect they won't.

Not picking but he seems a lot better now than early on. Tell you something else I saw him change a play a couple of times last night without even looking to the sidelines. So y’all he questioning of Gus about letting Stidum have more decision making ability seemed to pay off.

7 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

As for Bert, he went from 3 to 7 to 8 and then started to tail off and he will be lucky to have 6 wins this season. He doesn’t have a recruiting advantage but he doesn't develop his players very well either. Have to have one or the other or both, preferably both. 

It's not W-L at Arky....the team is not even competitive at a point in BB's time at Arky where if he was going to do something with the program there would be more evidence....whereas he is getting hammered week after week.  

Like him or not, at least AU has been competitive most of Gus's time at AU...not getting the wins the fans want, but rarely getting beat by big margins either...and certainly not by the middle to lower level SEC teams. 

I don't see how BB can survive.....

Archived