More aggressive vs. Arkansas

AUTiger2012

First off I'd like to express my happiness at stomping the hawgs at their home!  Now for my "something odd".  Has anyone else noticed that we seem to be much more prone to aggressive play calling against Arkansas than any other team?  It may be because of where they fall in the season and I am sure that there are other factors, but this is 2 seasons in a row where we we really kept the foot on the pedal even in the second half which if we are all being fair is extremely odd for Gus.  Any ideas as to why other than he is an Arkansas guy? 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to post something like this. I’ve noticed he takes this game personally... like it’s his own rivalry.  I wish he would have this attitude with ALL of our games.

5 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Kind of lame to pull the trick.play  against them when the game was out of hand instead of saving it for the aggies. 

Or LSU

11 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Because Bilema is a tool and complained about the HUNH just as bad as Saban did. Gus can flex his muscles on Arky but not Bama. 

I hope we continue to light up Arkansas because of the way he complained and groaned about all things Auburn. However we probably lighted them up because Arkansas is Gus’s Super Bowl. 

I love the Arkansas Fireworks Showman, Gus.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I hope we continue to light up Arkansas because of the way he complained and groaned about all things Auburn. However we probably light them up because Arkansas is Gus’s Super Bowl. 

I love the  Arkansas Fireworks Showman, Gus.

This.  Too bad that Gus doesn't feel the same way about UGA.

wde

Maybe an audition. However, this is the way we should play every game. Empty the bench and build playing time for reserves. We really need a tight end to develop. Some passes behind the linebackers and in front of the safeties.  Overall this Arky game is more like what I thought we would do every game.

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I hope we continue to light up Arkansas because of the way he complained and groaned about all things Auburn. However we probably light them up because Arkansas is Gus’s Super Bowl. 

I love the  Arkansas Fireworks Showman, Gus.

I have this strange feeling that Bielema will not be at Arkansas long enough to complain about Auburn much more.

17 minutes ago, auskull said:

Maybe an audition. However, this is the way we should play every game. Empty the bench and build playing time for reserves. We really need a tight end to develop. Some passes behind the linebackers and in front of the safeties.  Overall this Arky game is more like what I thought we would do every game.

Gus plays golf but he doesn't have a golfers mentality. Golf is about competing with yourself and trying to do better each time out. Would be good to know that Gus would try to approach each game as an opportunity to improve on the last games performance instead of choosing certain games to layup and others to go for the pin. 

4 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I have this strange feeling that Bielema will not be at Arkansas long enough to complain about Auburn much more.

Yep. His seat is white hot. His record of developing players, recruiting, and on the field success never really improved at all. 

37 minutes ago, auskull said:

I still don't think I saw a single pass to the middle of the field. 

Wish. Tubs had that mentality.  He was an Arkansas guy and got blown out by two inferior teams during his tenure.  

3 hours ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I still don't think I saw a single pass to the middle of the field. 

I saw two slants and several intermediate routes mainly button hooks and hitches. It was an upgrade from last week. 

Because ark is terrible, Gus hates them, and he knows he can run whatever we want and they can’t stop it. 

We play team with a pulse and this will change. 

56 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I saw two slants and several intermediate routes mainly button hooks and hitches. It was an upgrade to last week. 

I also noticed crossing patterns a couple of times too, but from what I could see they were covered.

21 minutes ago, shabby said:

Perhaps if we started up a feud between Gus Saban and smart we could run it all

You would need to add Richt as well.

wde

44 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Because ark is terrible, Gus hates them, and he knows he can run whatever we want and they can’t stop it. 

We play team with a pulse and this will change. 

Not really an upgrade Gus just let Chip call the plays. Notice coming out the second half I don’t think we did a nose dive up the middle on first down for at least the first two series. I would bet money we didn’t have 17 first down dives the whole game last night. This is what should makes folks mad. Had Gus came out the.  second half of Clemson or LSU we wouldn’t even be having this discussion. But he didn’t. And he won’t down the road against good teams because he cowards down.

sorry GR I copied the wrong poster

2 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

This.  Too bad that Gus doesn't feel the same way about UGA.

wde

This . He should hate every team in the sec and want to beat by 100

Maybe somebody should just convince Gus that they changed the schedule and he is having to play Arky the next four games.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Yep. His seat is white hot. His record of developing players, recruiting, and on the field success never really improved at all. 

In fairness to Bielema, Arkansas' recruiting has been bested by most of the conference.  I am not sure how much of that is Bielema's fault, instead of merely a symptom of the difficulty in recruiting there.  His average of 7 and 8 win seasons may just be the ceiling there for anything other than an exceptional coach.  I think Bielema has a more compelling case than Gus does for retaining him, even with worse results.

Gus might just be trying to impress the Arky faithful so he will have a soft landing spot when he gets run off.   He can get by with 8 win seasons there and with their easier cross division permanent opponent (Missouri for them vs UGA for us) he might even be able to do 9.  Plus he's from there and would do a much better job keeping their in state talent from fleeing the state than fat boy has done.  

Watching the replay and laughed so hard when the Arky lineman "fell down" on purpose on our first drive trying to stop our HUNH and Stidham ran into the endzone. 

Archived