zone read option

1913-14

the  decision to run a true read option paid huge dividends and opened up the whole playbook potential...we would have won both losses with that adjustment...it ain't rocket science...( the fact that it worked so well just makes me more upset with Gus)...wonder what lining up with a tight-end and throwing it to him would do...hmmm...Coach Jay? Big Bird? comments?

I totally agree but it also comes with risk. Jarrett Stidham can run the play effectively however what happens if he gets injured. What would that do for the rest of our season. That said I would like to see it utilize more often. I think it will open up the game for Johnson and kamryn pettway

This season reminds me so much of 2003.  It’s a patchwork offense in regards to 2 offenses meshed together.  In the case of 2003 you had an OL coach trying to run another persons offense.  Put up really great numbers one game and then would flop against others.  

The use of the TE could be great and is what is missing from Chip’s route tree.  The underneath and the middle of the field.  

Chip’s offense is a 1 back O and Gus’ is a 2 back.  So we are using a 2 back for run game purposes. 

One thing that has impressed me is Tucker Brown and Chris Nigh.  Both are getting better however neither have been used at all in the pass game.  Chandler Cox is just a rotation player but I love his heart there is just really no place for him in Chip’s O.  

1 hour ago, shabby said:

I totally agree but it also comes with risk. Jarrett Stidham can run the play effectively however what happens if he gets injured. What would that do for the rest of our season. That said I would like to see it utilize more often. I think it will open up the game for Johnson and kamryn pettway

If Stidham got injured, I believe Malik would do just as well if not better. He is Nick Marshall 2.0. The offense looks incredible when he is in.  Granted, its late in the game when MW comes in, but still. 

42 minutes ago, 1856 said:

If Stidham got injured, I believe Malik would do just as well if not better. He is Nick Marshall 2.0. The offense looks incredible when he is in.  Granted, its late in the game when MW comes in, but still. 

I believe he is faster than nick . He has a big time burst . 

2 hours ago, 1913-14 said:

the  decision to run a true read option paid huge dividends and opened up the whole playbook potential...we would have won both losses with that adjustment...it ain't rocket science...( the fact that it worked so well just makes me more upset with Gus)...wonder what lining up with a tight-end and throwing it to him would do...hmmm...Coach Jay? Big Bird? comments?

With the running elements at qb. This offense is insane . It’s nearly unstoppable 

3 hours ago, 1856 said:

If you think we are conservative, we would get real conservative with Malik Willis this year. Gus would pull the reins so fast. We have already thrown the spring game away. Spring game was for the fans, it wasn't for Gus. IT would be read option only offense with the occasional out or screen play on third down. It took some time for Gus to trust Nick, it was really Nick leading us on that drive to Miss St because we had to score that that allowed Gus to trust him. They might take a few shots with MW but Gus wouldn't allow much room for him to make mistakes. Malik could gain that trust but it wouldn't be this season, IMO. It would be similar to the Jeremy Johnson offense after he threw all of those ints, not his Arkansas appearance. Now, Chip on the other hand.....

14 hours ago, 1856 said:

I do love MW’s potential, but we really don’t know how well he can throw the ball.  I’m not sure if Gus won’t let him throw because Gus doesn’t want to run up the score or, in Gus’ mind, he can’t throw.

Gus’ development of JFIII as a QB has tainted me.

14 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

If you think we are conservative, we would get real conservative with Malik Willis this year. Gus would pull the reins so fast. We have already thrown the spring game away. Spring game was for the fans, it wasn't for Gus. IT would be read option only offense with the occasional out or screen play on third down. It took some time for Gus to trust Nick, it was really Nick leading us on that drive to Miss St because we had to score that that allowed Gus to trust him. They might take a few shots with MW but Gus wouldn't allow much room for him to make mistakes. Malik could gain that trust but it wouldn't be this season, IMO. It would be similar to the Jeremy Johnson offense after he threw all of those ints, not his Arkansas appearance. Now, Chip on the other hand.....

One place where Gus is screwing the pooch is not letting MW throw the ball at least 3 or 4 times in these games like Saturday. No pass attempts Saturday for him. This will come back to bite us big time if JS gets knocked out of a game that matters. Wish Gus was smart enough to figure this out, but he has shown repeatedly that he is not.

6 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

One place where Gus is screwing the pooch is not letting MW throw the ball at least 3 or 4 times in these games like Saturday. No pass attempts Saturday for him. This will come back to bite us big time if JS gets knocked out of a game that matters. Wish Gus was smart enough to figure this out, but he has shown repeatedly that he is not.

Not so, MW had a 4 yard TD pass that travelled, maybe, 2 feet to Barrett.  It didn’t show much in the way of his throwing talent, though.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Not so, MW had a 4 yard TD pass that travelled, maybe, 2 feet to Barrett.  It didn’t show much in the way of his throwing talent, though.

I hope you are just joking.

Stidham was a whole lot more likely to get hurt standing in the pocket against Clemson than running and sliding.  It will probably be the same against UGA and Bammer.  You can't win football games against good teams playing scared.  If nothing else we should have a option package for Malik Willis just to give them something else to have to prepare for.  

Doesn't make much sense to not let your backup QB not throw because you don't want to run the score up but when you're up 31-6 you let your WR throw a bomb on a trick play...Now that is rubbing it in if I've ever seen it.

8 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

I hope you are just joking.

It was officially a pass, Barrett goes in motion in front of MW and MW tosses the ball to him.  A pass that traveled about 2 feet and went for a 4 yard TD.

On 10/22/2017 at 6:41 PM, corchjay said:

The use of the TE could be great and is what is missing from Chip’s route tree

Agree 100%! Need especially to establish any middle of the field pass plays.

With Chip's offense I don't understand why they signed Sal C, the TE. His forte is pass catching. I know early in the year he dropped a few, but without KD now, they need that big receiver. Is he not good at running routes? 

It just seems hard to believe that CL would not use a TE in this offense. It's got to be that since they molded Gus' RPO into the offense, they simply can't run plays using the TE.

Since we know they watch film, and they know that the middle of the field is open a lot or their are high percentage pass plays that  a TE can find the holes in the zone.  

I am hoping that this molded offense is still a work in progress, even for the coaches, and against TaM, GA, and Alabama, we will see a versatile passing offense. I can dream can't I?

10 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

It was officially a pass, Barrett goes in motion in front of MW and MW tosses the ball to him.  A pass that traveled about 2 feet and went for a 4 yard TD.

You're raising serious doubts about you brother. I am talking about (meaningful passes) beyond the line of scrimmage to a receiver or tight end, not a ball you drop into someone's lap behind the line of scrimmage. My 85 year old mother could prop up on her walker and do that. We need for MW to throw some real passes in game situations, not to drop the ball into a player's hands on a speed sweep and call that a pass so Gus and Chip can brag that they let him throw the ball once in a game.

If JS would have run the zone read two or three times in the LSU game, AU would have won easily.   Not sure why it’s not run two to three times per game.   It’s a play that not many teams can stop and if it’s part of play book run it.   

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:01 PM, 1913-14 said:

Ahem:
Shameless Plug

In short - Spreading to run, and other offenses that employ the ZR heavily aren't a substitute for a real passing game and lead to poor team composition and technique, as we see now.

Would it work to finish the season out? Yes, but it's nothing you really want to harp on or put players at risk by using heavily.

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

You're raising serious doubts about you brother. I am talking about (meaningful passes) beyond the line of scrimmage to a receiver or tight end, not a ball you drop into someone's lap behind the line of scrimmage. My 85 year old mother could prop up on her walker and do that. We need for MW to throw some real passes in game situations, not to drop the ball into a player's hands on a speed sweep and call that a pass so Gus and Chip can brag that they let him throw the ball once in a game.

I understand what you are saying, I’ve said the same thing since the first game.  What you may fail to realize is Gus is our head coach and he doesn’t (for what ever reason) like to take opportunities to develop players in real games.  Just an observation I’ve seen since Gus has needed to develop players (2015 and beyond).

9 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Ahem:
Shameless Plug

In short - Spreading to run, and other offenses that employ the ZR heavily aren't a substitute for a real passing game and lead to poor team composition and technique, as we see now.

Would it work to finish the season out? Yes, but it's nothing you really want to harp on or put players at risk by using heavily.

If you noticed we have gone through the motions of this all year...Stidham only had to run this 4 times to keep them honest and in my opinion open up our offense and loosen the box...I don't see that as negative...

12 hours ago, 1913-14 said:

If you noticed we have gone through the motions of this all year...Stidham only had to run this 4 times to keep them honest and in my opinion open up our offense and loosen the box...I don't see that as negative...

Those are "Unplanned" runs, by a team of which defenses have scouted don't have a QB who's a threat to run. When you start including more planned running into the gameplan, then defenses will begin to scout and prepare for a QB who may keep it on a backside read and assign the will to handle the exchange, while the end takes the dive, or start tightening the box with more cover-3 and in the box safeties to support. 

Bottom line, it's good to have the QB sprinkle in a run or two when necessary, however, make it a feature and you'll regret it unless you have a super-athlete at that position. 

Archived