Things I Think I Saw (AU vs Arkansas)....

JMR

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

Coach, any ideas why we just don't see the below?  Is it silly to think we are saving it for Thuga or the Turds?

I am still waiting for a tight end seam route from our passing game. After nearly three years of not using the tight end, I'm convinced it will be open when we need it. </sarcasm>

15 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Coach, any ideas why we just don't see the below?  Is it silly to think we are saving it for Thuga or the Turds?

I am still waiting for a tight end seam route from our passing game. After nearly three years of not using the tight end, I'm convinced it will be open when we need it. </sarcasm>

No idea why. I definitely ain’t falling for the “we’re saving it for later” thing. 

• Like 1

You know, I check my feed a couple of times a day hoping to find this thread. Every week. Thanks, Coach.

I wonder about the TE/HBs in the passing game, too. And for the life of me, I can't figure out why we don't throw slants. The way we line up, other teams tend to creep up on our X and Z receivers. But whenever we have 3rd and whatever, we go deep, thrown the WR screen (which is pretty dang effective), or throw to the sideline. You'd think old-fashioned slants, hooks, and ins would help Stidham out. Or layered routes, which we have our own troubles defending.

But it sure is nice to see Pettway looking aggressive. And I'm very happy to hear positive reports on our backup OL. We have two weeks to get healthy and get our back 7 up to snuff. I still have my reservations, but this is a good team that can improve and get really good.

One small thing. Surely by God's grace we can hand off out of the wildcat. Did y'all see what Penn State did by putting their QB next to the RB in the wildcat? Imagine Willis sitting there beside KJ.

Edited by DyeCampAlum
left out positive content
  • Like 4

Slayton had an up and down game ... after one drop,  I remember screaming at the TV, "do not throw the ball to him anymore" ... and then, low and behold, comes a big play.

Coach, count me among those who look for your "column" each week & really appreciate it. Today I especially appreciate you mentioning the officiating. I, too, could not figure out the no-call on the 1st Arky punt where Roberts appeared clearly to be interfered with. I, too, thought KJ clearly made a 1st down on the 1st run & that there certainly wasn't "indisputable video evidence" to overturn the call. I wasn't even worried about it until they actually overturned it. Until reading your thoughts, I figured I must be the crazy one. 

If you have time at some point, I'd love to know your thoughts about differences between the 1st half & 2nd half. It appeared to me (& I don't have nearly the ability to see things like you do, which is why I'm asking) that the O line performed much better in the 2nd half. Do you agree? If so, do you have thoughts as to why that would be? Just curious.

I think i was more baffled by once again a non-block in the back call,more than the fair catch interference. I would need to re-watch but i thought the ball hit our players helmet that was blocking. Totally agree that i don't understand why we aren't running TE seam routes at all,but that goes along with the non-use of Kam M,McClain,or D.Barret more.

Nothing about Malik Willis?  To me, he looked great right out of the gate. Granted he went in with (possibly) a gassed set of defenders, but he made good decisions beginning with his 48 yard zone read.  Makes me wonder if the only reason Stidham got the hype early on was that he had a year under his belt.  Malik looks like he can run the whole offense, if he can complete a pas.

21 hours ago, JMR said:

No idea why. I definitely ain’t falling for the “we’re saving it for later” thing. 

Thanks

Thanks again for your insight it is always spot on. I agree about Harrel and Tega but I have to admit my real fear is with James even when he is healthy. His run blocking is usually excellent but he just gets beat to often when in pass blocking and it is not always for the same reason.  One time he is a little slow getting out to a wide rusher next time he over commits to get out there and blocker starts out and then goes inside of him because he over committed. Blocking speed rushers for a tackle is one of the toughest jobs but he seemed to have improved by the end of last year and if anything I would have expected him to be even better next year.

Thanks coach as always. I agree the most excited thing I see right now is our ability to plug and play the OL and continue to improve. I think JS is feeling a lot more at ease back there. Speaking of Dinson his sack of the 6-9 280 QB was a thing of perfection. Terrific take down . Special teams will beat us if we don’t get it fixed. Time for Gus to give ST to someone else ?

1 hour ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

Going back to the Ole Miss game, the defensive tackle that did the belly flop. Is he still playing, and has he improved?

He wasn’t awful, but I wouldn’t say he played well. Ragnow drove him 12 yards downfield once. Same could be said for one other DT as well. Not a great game for the guys on the inside. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Glen from West Glenn Ave said:

When was the last time we had a holding penalty on our offensive line?

I think our line is doing extremely well given the injuries and the sometime eradic play calling from the genius. And your right they have had very few penalties in the past few games.

Edited by Eagle Eye 7

On 10/23/2017 at 12:35 PM, JMR said:

When AU switched to Pettway from KJ in the second half, the run-blocking was adjusted. More power (backside guard pulling and leading up in the A/B-gap), and using the H-back to kick out behind inside zone blocking. That lets Pettway run for a hole, rather than making a cut based on how the zone blocking goes. He's not very good at those cuts, whereas KJ excels at that. Good adjustment by Chip Lindsey and Herb Hand.

Is this type of blocking adjustment easy enough to do based on the play called? Could both KJ and KP be in the backfield at the same time? 

11 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Is this type of blocking adjustment easy enough to do based on the play called? Could both KJ and KP be in the backfield at the same time? 

Depends on the play call. Sure, they could be in the backfield at the same time, but based on history, that’s unlikely. 

1 hour ago, JMR said:

Depends on the play call. Sure, they could be in the backfield at the same time, but based on history, that’s unlikely. 

In CCL's interview he said he had some ideas on how to use them.  I am wondering why not have them both in there for the wildcat type plays.  Then you have to honor the dive play with KP going up the middle and KJ could run a true read-option and bounce outside if needed.  Throw the speed sweep in there and this becomes very difficult to defend.

But I agree, I doubt it happens