How the media shades a story

TitanTiger

This particular one is done by choosing a particular headline.

Anyone who's been here longer than a minute knows what I think about the whole transgender issue, especially when it comes to just allowing access to the private spaces of women and girls in particular, based on nothing more than making a claim and dressing a certain way.  But this is dishonest reporting meant to push a certain viewpoint with misleading headlines and burying key facts.  And I don't like it or excuse it just because it happens to be trying to push a view I might agree with. 

This installment of media bias and dishonest reporting is given to us courtesy of Fox News:

Transgender Wyoming woman convicted of sexually assaulting 10-year-old girl in bathroom

A transgender Wyoming woman was convicted Wednesday of sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl inside a bathroom.

Michelle Martinez, who was known as Miguel Martinez before identifying as female, was found guilty of first-degree and second-degree sexual abuse of a minor and could face up to 70 years in prison.

The Billings Gazette reports Martinez, who is a family friend, invited the girl into the bathroom of a home on March 23, and touched her breasts and genitalia before penetrating her. The girl told her mother immediately after the assault, who then reported it to Casper Police.

After the attack, the girl told police "it hurt inside,” according to the Casper Star Tribune

Nurses at the Wyoming Medical Center performed a sexual assault exam on the minor and found redness and abrasions around the girl’s genitalia. 

When police initially questioned Martinez about the assault, she became “noticeably hostile and defensive” and said the girl was “talking crap” before denying being a child molester. Martinez also called the accusations a “publicity stunt,” the Tribune reported.

Martinez pleaded not guilty on both counts. 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/19/transgender-wyoming-woman-convicted-sexually-assaulting-10-year-old-girl-in-bathroom.html

The problem here is that if you scan headlines and read just a line or two into the story, it would seem to serve as a warning against allowing transgender people in public bathrooms, locker rooms and such because such lax laws can be used as cover by sexual predators posing as transgender to gain access to spaces they'd otherwise be prevented from easily getting into unquestioned.  And while I think that is a legitimate concern that should be given more serious consideration, pushing for it by dishonest or misleading means like this actually does more harm to accomplishing that than good.  If you didn't catch why it was misleading already, this incident did not occur in a public restroom, but at someone's house.  It happened to occur in the bathroom of the home but honestly could have happened in any room of the house.  And it wasn't some stranger sneaking in to the girls' restroom but apparently a family friend.

I could do this all the time but I just wanted to point it out and use Fox as an example for two reasons.  For one, I think left-leaning people often don't think this sort of thing matters but it happens on the non-Fox and left-leaning outlets all the time to shade or discount conservative viewpoints.  Headlines matter and so does where the pertinent facts of a story appear in that story.  But secondly, I used Fox to show the conservatives that depend on them so much and trust them as unbiased that they are getting their news from more right-leaning outlets that do the same thing, just in the other direction.  And Fox can't even use the excuse that they just copied the headline from the local paper.  The headlines of the stories in the local news outlets they got it from said this:

Suspect pleads not guilty to charges alleging sexual assault of 10-year-old girl

Trial begins for Casper resident charged with sexually assaulting 10-year-old girl

Casper resident found guilty of sexually assaulting 10-year-old

It's wrong and dishonest no matter who does it.  I'm including a screenshot in case it gets edited later.  This was the headline at least on Saturday, October 21st when I first saw it and it had not changed as of Monday, October 23rd at 7:30am CST:

Fox.jpg

I appreciate you posting this. It came up on my Facebook feed the other day. Didn't have the inclination to debunk at the time. 

2 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

I appreciate you posting this. It came up on my Facebook feed the other day. Didn't have the inclination to debunk at the time. 

I saw it. Didn't have time to read it then was reminded when I read this post. It's disappointing but as TT points out it goes both ways. It seems, It goes one way more than the other. 

It is also a reflection of how they expect their audience to take information and run with it without reading the actual story. Considering technology has given most people the attention span of a gnat. Also, this on both sides fuels the hate between people.

They want people to just run with the misleading headline so that it pushes their agenda, but at the same time justify in their mind that they are only reporting the "facts". 

Honestly, the initial headline had me fooled.  And I actually missed the "at home" part initially and didn't see it until I clicked one of the links to the local papers.  Then I went back and reread and caught it.  But at first blush it totally looks like some stranger did this in a public restroom somewhere.

I was fooled by it as well, and I do notice a lot of headlines that are presented in this sort of way. 

Not to derail completely, but something else that bugs me is seeing articles from either side that says "so and so, DESTROYS, so and so" in some confrontation someplace.  I guess what bugs me is that people have become so eager to so someone shame, run down, discredit and humiliate some other they disagree with, that these type headlines do so well....The must get mega-clicks, Ive been seeing them for along time now....Dont let me fool you though, I have fallen for it looking for some good old juicy shamage so I have been guilty as well,...but I guess Im just now starting to become a little more bothered by it all. The whole shame stuff really seems to be backwards from what we need.  I suppose thats not too much unlike the headline of the headline the OP posted...

56 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

but something else that bugs me is seeing articles from either side that says "so and so, DESTROYS, so and so" in some confrontation someplace

I also despise this crap and have said it many times as well. Definitely when so and so’s profession of work isn’t even close to being in the same line of work as the confronted. I see dramatized aggressive verbs like “stings,” “blisters,” “destroys,” “shuns,” “blasts,” etc and mostly every time, I’m left saying “no he didn’t, where!” I mostly don’t want to hear what an eye doctor had to say about the President’s policy, so why would I want to read about “Former Marine Completely destroys Obama” 

As far as the deceptive headlines go, I too, fall prey to them from time to time, and conveniently for most people including me, we let our guard down when the subject is agreeable. Critical thinking skills (including asking what was the headline/ article trying to convey to us, and what was it’s purpose?) is often ignored in the school systems which enables blissful ignorance. Without critical thinking skills, people can go about their merry own way thinking Obama is going to let the Chinese take over taxes or is hiding armory’s inside local Super WalMart Centers, and they’ll never have to know how stupid their thoughts really are. 

Since this is a media related thread, I'll add this here.  Seems like many journalists at Fox News were not happy about how the network covered yesterday's events.  Feel free to move to another thread if someone thinks it belongs elsewhere.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/31/media/fox-news-employees-russia-mueller-coverage/index.html?iid=surge-toplead-dom

Some employees at Fox News were left embarrassed and humiliated by their network's coverage of the latest revelations in special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian election meddling, according to conversations CNN had with several individuals placed throughout the network.

"I'm watching now and screaming," one Fox News personality said in a text message to CNN as the person watched their network's coverage. "I want to quit."

"It is another blow to journalists at Fox who come in every day wanting to cover the news in a fair and objective way," one senior Fox News employee told CNN of their outlet's coverage, adding that there were "many eye rolls" in the newsroom over how the news was covered.

The person said, "Fox feels like an extension of the Trump White House."

The employees spoke to CNN on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter. A Fox News spokesperson told CNN the network covered the breaking news accurately and fairly across both news and opinion programming.

On Monday, it was revealed that President Trump's former campaign manager Paul Manafort and another associate Rick Gates had been indicted by a grand jury on 12 counts, including conspiracy against the United States. Unsealed court records also revealed that another Trump associate, George Papadopoulos, had pleaded guilty to making a false statement to the FBI weeks ago.

The revelations jolted through the news media, and Fox News -- the highest rated network in the country -- did cover it as its top story. But in contrast with CNN and MSNBC, which aired non-stop rolling coverage throughout the day, Fox News found plenty of time to cover other topics, like the NFL protests, North Korea, and tax reform.

Additionally, Fox News aired segments that questioned Mueller's credibility and many were framed around how Trump and his allies were responding to the news. On Fox News' homepage, the lead story at one point was focused on Trump slamming the indictment. Another lead story cited Manafort's lawyer, and asked, "Mueller's 'ridiculous' claims?"

"This kind of coverage does the viewer a huge disservice and further divides the country," one Fox News personality told CNN.

Fox News journalists took significant issue with their network's opinion hosts, who deflected from the news and, in Sean Hannity's case, characterized Mueller's investigation as a "witch hunt," a term Trump used on Sunday in a angry tweet to describe the probe.

"That segment on Outnumbered [questioning Mueller's integrity] was absurd and deserves all the scorn it can get," a Fox News employee told CNN, referring to the network's noontime talk show.

The person added that it was "laughable seeing Hannity and [Laura] Ingraham," two Fox News opinion hosts who are openly supportive of Trump, "tripping over themselves saying [Mueller's team has] found nothing thus far."

"It's an embarrassment," another Fox News employee echoed to CNN. "Frankly, there are shows on our network that are backing the President at all costs, and it's that short term strategy that undermines the good work being done by others."

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Since this is a media related thread, I'll add this here.  Seems like many journalists at Fox News were not happy about how the network covered yesterday's events.  Feel free to move to another thread if someone thinks it belongs elsewhere.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/31/media/fox-news-employees-russia-mueller-coverage/index.html?iid=surge-toplead-dom

Some employees at Fox News were left embarrassed and humiliated by their network's coverage of the latest revelations in special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian election meddling, according to conversations CNN had with several individuals placed throughout the network.

"I'm watching now and screaming," one Fox News personality said in a text message to CNN as the person watched their network's coverage. "I want to quit."

"It is another blow to journalists at Fox who come in every day wanting to cover the news in a fair and objective way," one senior Fox News employee told CNN of their outlet's coverage, adding that there were "many eye rolls" in the newsroom over how the news was covered.

The person said, "Fox feels like an extension of the Trump White House."

The employees spoke to CNN on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter. A Fox News spokesperson told CNN the network covered the breaking news accurately and fairly across both news and opinion programming.

On Monday, it was revealed that President Trump's former campaign manager Paul Manafort and another associate Rick Gates had been indicted by a grand jury on 12 counts, including conspiracy against the United States. Unsealed court records also revealed that another Trump associate, George Papadopoulos, had pleaded guilty to making a false statement to the FBI weeks ago.

The revelations jolted through the news media, and Fox News -- the highest rated network in the country -- did cover it as its top story. But in contrast with CNN and MSNBC, which aired non-stop rolling coverage throughout the day, Fox News found plenty of time to cover other topics, like the NFL protests, North Korea, and tax reform.

Additionally, Fox News aired segments that questioned Mueller's credibility and many were framed around how Trump and his allies were responding to the news. On Fox News' homepage, the lead story at one point was focused on Trump slamming the indictment. Another lead story cited Manafort's lawyer, and asked, "Mueller's 'ridiculous' claims?"

"This kind of coverage does the viewer a huge disservice and further divides the country," one Fox News personality told CNN.

Fox News journalists took significant issue with their network's opinion hosts, who deflected from the news and, in Sean Hannity's case, characterized Mueller's investigation as a "witch hunt," a term Trump used on Sunday in a angry tweet to describe the probe.

"That segment on Outnumbered [questioning Mueller's integrity] was absurd and deserves all the scorn it can get," a Fox News employee told CNN, referring to the network's noontime talk show.

The person added that it was "laughable seeing Hannity and [Laura] Ingraham," two Fox News opinion hosts who are openly supportive of Trump, "tripping over themselves saying [Mueller's team has] found nothing thus far."

"It's an embarrassment," another Fox News employee echoed to CNN. "Frankly, there are shows on our network that are backing the President at all costs, and it's that short term strategy that undermines the good work being done by others."

Does anyone have any guesses on who some of the Fox employees  may  be? I'm trying to think of  opinion, reporters, and so forth at Fox.  I'll go ahead and rule out Hannity, but wouldn't that be bat sh*t crazy if he was one of the anonymous people talking to CNN. haha

2 minutes ago, Auburn85 said:

Does anyone have any guesses on who some of the Fox employees  may  be? I'm trying to think of  opinion, reporters, and so forth at Fox.  I'll go ahead and rule out Hannity, but wouldn't that be bat sh*t crazy if he was one of the anonymous people talking to CNN. haha

My first two guesses would be Shepard Smith and Chris Wallace.  Wallace in particular is very good, honest, and fair journalist.

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

My first two guesses would be Shepard Smith and Chris Wallace.  Wallace in particular is very good, honest, and fair journalist.

Not familiar with Smith, but I agree about Wallace.  He has to be thinking about jumping ship if the opportunity arises. 

11 hours ago, homersapien said:

Not familiar with Smith, but I agree about Wallace.  He has to be thinking about jumping ship if the opportunity arises. 

Smith has called out the Trump administration before, so that's why I added him here.  There are times where he's vocally miffed by them.  Example below.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Smith has called out the Trump administration before, so that's why I added him here.  There are times where he's vocally miffed by them.  Example below.

That was pretty good. 

But I never watch Fox News except for Fox News Sunday.  I've always thought Wallace is pretty even-handed in his questions/interviews which is surprising.  I suspect Chris is one of the few people on Fox with editorial independence.

• 2 weeks later...

Further evidence of Shep Smith's integrity.

Fox News’s Shepard Smith debunks his network’s favorite Hillary Clinton ‘scandal,’ infuriates viewers

Fox News anchor Shepard Smith debunked what his own network has called the Hillary Clinton uranium “scandal,” infuriating Fox viewers, some of whom suggested that he ought to work for CNN or MSNBC.

18 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Something tells me Shep is working for another network within a year.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 10:50 AM, Proud Tiger said:

That reporter messed up the Aurora reporting too. Why he's still employed is a mystery to me. 

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:34 AM, TitanTiger said:

Something tells me Shep is working for another network within a year.

I hope so. Sooner the better. I'm not opposed to him having different opinions, just don't like him.

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

I hope so. Sooner the better. I'm not opposed to him having different opinions, just don't like him.

He's just about the last thing mooring Fox to reality.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He's just about the last thing mooring Fox to reality.

No surprise that we disagree. I guess lots of other people do too since they are the #1 cable news.

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

No surprise that we disagree.

There are a lot of things you can say about Shepard Smith, but dishonest or unprofessional are not among them.  He's one of the few out there at any network doing the job like it is supposed to be done.  No surprise that that gets you triggered.

Archived