Finebaum: CGM to Arky plausible

RunInRed

“Yes, I do,” Finebaum started when asked if he thought Malzahn would “go home” to Arkansas after the 2017 season. “Let’s assume Gus Malzahn survives this season. He’s either going to have Jay Jacobs as his boss– someone with whom he doesn’t speak– or he’s going to have a new boss who has no vested interest or investment in him. So, if given the opportunity to go home where he can escape Auburn and escape the immediate shadow of Nick Saban– now, listen, you still play Saban at Arkansas– but the expectations at Arkansas are ‘Have an 8-4 season, maybe win your bowl game and we’ll throw you a parade.’ At Auburn, 8-4 gets you fired.”

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plausible?   Might be a solution that pleases just about everyone....:dunno:   Finebaum....who would have thought it? 

Is there a large enough contingent of Arky power people or their fanbase that want him?  And more importantly, what is it about his coaching makes him an attractive candidate?  

1 minute ago, TecmoBoJackson said:

That's funny that PF thinkgs 8-4 gets you fired at Auburn....clearly he didn't do his homework....

Yeah it seems Auburn has been content with average coaching since Pat Dye left; i.e Bowden, Tuberville, Malzahn.  8-4 is on par for a typical season at Auburn.  Auburn doesn’t demand excellence from their coaches Year in and year out.  Will this trend ever change in our lifetime?

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Plausible?   Might be a solution that pleases just about everyone....:dunno:   Finebaum....who would have thought it? 

Blind squirrel, nut...

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I don't believe this was PF's idea to begin with.  He is saying stuff that was said on his show a couple of weeks ago.  Unfortunately, I listen to some of his show most every day due to timing or what ever and this was mentioned a couple of weeks ago on his show.  I think right before the LSU game.  It was an Arky beat writer mentioned it and talked through the logistics.  Not saying PF hasn't added some to it, but I don't think this was originally his idea.

49 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I don't think the Hogs want him.

Management ? Probably not , but there are definitely fans who do 

Would it really be so bad if he did leave for Arky? Only thing is, the AD needs to be gone first otherwise this is just a round and found carousel. I am not sure who would be next solid hire for AU, but it has to be someone w at least 5 years HC experience and someone who can recruit. I believe Mullen is a good coach and recruiter, but he operates in Mississippi where it is extremely difficult to recruit and keep talent in state. Honestly, I think Dabo is the best younger coach out there! Thoughts anyone.

1 hour ago, WeagleAU said:

Yeah it seems Auburn has been content with average coaching since Pat Dye left; i.e Bowden, Tuberville, Malzahn.  8-4 is on par for a typical season at Auburn.  Auburn doesn’t demand excellence from their coaches Year in and year out.  Will this trend ever change in our lifetime?

Yeah, cause before Dye, Doug Barfield did so well with his one 8 win season and 3 losing seasons. Before Shug it was the same again.

Bowden had 1 losing season and was tossed, Tuberville had 1 losing season and was tossed, Chiz had 1 losing season and was tossed.

As well as if you condensed our all time stats to current season length we'd be;

Wins: 7.3

Losses: 4.2

Ties: .5

As an average season.

Seems 8-4 is pretty typical of Auburn for longer than "Since Dye left"

If I were on the AU Coach Search Committee, and Gus bolts to Arky, I would seek out an audience with the Head Coach of the University of Coral Gables and gauge his interest in coming back to the SEC.

If he is not interested, then head up to Orlando and have a chat with Coach Frost at UCF.  

If he is not interested, then maybe even possibly consider robbing UAB.

I guess what I am saying is this:  three possible candidates that I would not be upset with are:

1.  Mark Richt

2.  Scott Frost

3.  Bill Clark  

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Is there a large enough contingent of Arky power people or their fanbase that want him?  And more importantly, what is it about his coaching makes him an attractive candidate?  

1) Yes

2) They want to run something different and he does not run the pro style offense. Many Ark fans are finally saying what I have been saying for YEARS - they will never win in ARK running that offense. Their recruiting is not going to be good enough to field elite OL, WR, RB, TEs, and QB in the SEC. They do not have the talent pool. But if you can get lucky enough to get a great QB you can win with this offense. We have seen it first hand. IMO the Gus M offense is about speed, tempo, and a good QB more than it is about talent. Don't get me wrong - you need it - but you can hid deficiencies in play calling and talent if you are moving fast.  

I think Gus would do well at Ark and here the biggest reason: the pressure would not be like it is at AU. 

Honestly I just want him to learn from the past and beat uga and uat.. this year... But that would take a minor miracle. 

38 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Yeah, cause before Dye, Doug Barfield did so well with his one 8 win season and 3 losing seasons. Before Shug it was the same again.

Bowden had 1 losing season and was tossed, Tuberville had 1 losing season and was tossed, Chiz had 1 losing season and was tossed.

As well as if you condensed our all time stats to current season length we'd be;

Wins: 7.3

Losses: 4.2

Ties: .5

As an average season.

Seems 8-4 is pretty typical of Auburn for longer than "Since Dye left"

Mims....You have it right...when Dye came...he had been at East Carolina when it was nothing....and the story that I understand is that he thought he had the AU job and left...and did not get the job so went to Wyoming and then got the AU job the next year.  He had a pretty typical background for an incoming AU coach and struck gold with a  series of great running backs. ....but add it all up and you see what we get. ...and are likely to get in the future.  JMO  . 

I may be wrong about this and please correct me, but if this happened, Arky would first have to buy out Bert. They are happy to do that I'm sure, but if Gus left of his own accord, wouldn't they also have to pay Auburn to get Gus?

Don't get me wrong, this would be a GREAT situation for AUburn, but i can't imagine Arky being that stupid.

2 minutes ago, sogaaufan said:

I may be wrong about this and please correct me, but if this happened, Arky would first have to buy out Bert. They are happy to do that I'm sure, but if Gus left of his own accord, wouldn't they also have to pay Auburn to get Gus?

Don't get me wrong, this would be a GREAT situation for AUburn, but i can't imagine Arky being that stupid.

I got $10 on Gus' buyout

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I got $10 on Gus' buyout

Maybe do a baseball trade....swap Gus to Arky for two Tight Ends and three 4* players and an assistant coach to be named later...

9 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

1) Yes

2) They want to run something different and he does not run the pro style offense. Many Ark fans are finally saying what I have been saying for YEARS - they will never win in ARK running that offense. Their recruiting is not going to be good enough to field elite OL, WR, RB, TEs, and QB in the SEC. They do not have the talent pool. But if you can get lucky enough to get a great QB you can win with this offense. We have seen it first hand. IMO the Gus M offense is about speed, tempo, and a good QB more than it is about talent. Don't get me wrong - you need it - but you can hid deficiencies in play calling and talent if you are moving fast.  

I think Gus would do well at Ark and here the biggest reason: the pressure would not be like it is at AU. 

Honestly I just want him to learn from the past and beat uga and uat.. this year... But that would take a minor miracle. 

So the Arky folks like what they've seen from Gus' offenses the last 3 yrs? 

They've watched Auburn haul in top 10 recruiting classes, seen AU's rate of attrition and then looked at Gus' W-L record and they actually think they gotta get some of that?   :dead:

There's a sucker born every minute.

Chiz didn't have just a losing season, but arguably one of the worst in Auburn history with zero SEC wins, boat raced by A&M 63-21, UGA 36-0 and Bama 49-0, AND to top it all off, had a horrendous run of off the field issues. 

According to some, Bielema's current buyout is $15.4 and drops to $11.7 million on January 1st, 2018.

Other sources claim it will be only $5.9 after the last 2017 game on November 24th.

The smart move would be for Gus to get fired and get what buyout he could from Auburn, and avoid Arkansas needing to pay CGM's AU buyout.

Archived