Georgia Recruiting

bmartin3228

Georgia's Kirby Smart doesn't believe in negative recruiting

ByJAKE ROWE 

MIRAMAR BEACH, Fla. -- Some call it call it badmouthing, some call it negative recruiting, and others simply call it recruiting, but it's very much a real thing in College Football.

Whether a coach tells a prospect that the traffic is bad in rival school's town or that its university's academics aren't as strong as his own, recruiters sometimes do what they can to nudge a target their way.

Georgia's Kirby Smart, however, says that he isn't one of those guys. He even says that the kind of kids who might fall for those tactics isn't the kind of player he wants to recruit.

“Negative recruiting, to me, never works on the kind of kids and people you want in your program," Smart said on Tuesday during SEC Spring Meetings at the Sandestin Hilton Hotel. "Because if they're listening to that and they're buying in to that, they're probably a little gullible where I would much rather be very honest and open because you attract better quality people who respect the fact that you respect the other people in your league.”

On more than one occasion Smart has told reporters that he likes to deal in 100-percent honesty with his players. If they have a great practice, that's something he's willing to let them know. If the opposite is possible, Smart says he has no problem letting them know that, either.

The same holds true when it comes to roles and playing time and aiming for that when it comes to recruiting can help cut down on some of the "entitlement" issues that numerous coaches feel has become quite an issue with young players.

Smart was initially asked the question because of some rumored negative recruiting when it comes to his former boss, Nick Saban. The six-time National Championship winning coach is 66 years old and it appears that some foes have been using his age to recruit against him on the recruiting trail.

45COMMENTS

Having worked for Saban at three different stops and for 11 years in all, Smart doesn't believe the age argument is even a good one to use against far and away the most successful active coach in the game.

“That's up to Nick," Smart said when asked how long he thinks Saban will coach. "I think Nick's in great health. I played pick-up basketball with him for 20 years, it felt like. He takes care of himself. He plays a lot of golf. He's very healthy. When people ask me that question, I think he's going to coach as long as he wants to because he's competitive, he doesn't want to do anything else, and he's good at what he does. If a kid asks me that, I'm like, he may coach forever because he may outlive me the way he takes care of his body. I think that's to each his own.”

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe he kept a straight face with that comment. He and Pruitt recruit as negatively as any coach around.

Never been in the room with him when he recruits, so I can't speak to his tactics, but I LOVE this article, because now, if he does do it, he's going to burn himself with some kids who will see, first hand, that he's full of crap and will tell you one thing while doing another. 

Either he's being honest or he just made his first big mistake as a head coach.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2018 at 12:36 PM, WarEagle2423 said:

They just landed Demetrius Robertson. Former 5 star receiver who’s been at Cal the past 2 years. 

About that...

Faaaaaantastic.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/21/17489218/demetris-robertson-transfer-cal

Demetris Robertson, the No. 1 receiver in college football’s 2016 recruiting class, is transferring to Georgia from Cal, and the NCAA’s since decided he can play in 2018, according to multiple UGA outlets.

He’s just the latest blue-chip addition for the Dawgs, who already signed the second-best recruiting class in the rankings era last winter. They’re building an embarrassment of riches, and Robertson should put up big numbers with whichever elite quarterback is throwing him the ball. Someday, that’ll probably be the class of 2018’s No. 1 dual-threat, Justin Fields.

Robertson decided to leave Cal due to “personal matters,” he said in June.

Robertson is from Savannah, Georgia. He was the last major prospect to commit in the 2016 cycle, not announcing his pledge to the Bears until May 1.

He was formerly committed to Alabama, and at the time of his Cal commitment, he’d also been considering the Tide, Georgia, Stanford, and Notre Dame. All of those schools figured to be in play this time around, plus West Virginia, which had his former Cal offensive coordinator, Jake Spavital.

In ‘16, Georgia was widely considered the favorite to land him under then-new head coach Kirby Smart, who was on the Alabama staff that had recruited Robertson when he committed there. Robertson signed financial-aid paperwork with multiple schools, which made his recruitment an unusual public spectacle even by five-star standards. Coaches, like Smart at UGA, were able to publicly woo Robertson without violating NCAA regulations:

Robertson chose Cal when the Bears’ head coach was Sonny Dykes, the purveyor of an air raid offense that involved tons of throwing the ball around the field. Cal fired Dykes after Robertson’s freshman season and replaced him with Justin Wilcox, a defensive coach.

Robertson had 50 catches for 767 yards and seven touchdowns as a freshman. He missed almost the entire 2017 season with what Cal termed a lower-body injury.

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

I wonder what the "personal matter" was that was convincing enough for the NCAA to allow him to play immediately. 

This is my question as well. We had a safety, Khari Harding, transfer away because his dad had cancer and the NCAA denied the appeal. So...

And then there is this guy, Ale Kaho, from Reno, NV who signed with Washington.  Because of family tragedies and his family concerns about his health, he transfers to Alabama to be closer to his family.  Alabama is 3 times the distance from Reno as Washington.  How is he closer to family and how does the NCAA allow this without sitting out a year? 

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/former-5-star-ale-kaho-days-after-being-granted-his-release-from-uw-huskies-to-play-for-alabama/

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:19 PM, AU80cruiser said:

Isn't this where Emmert comes in?

Thought the new transfer rule wasn't in effect until october.

The new transfer rule doesn't change the fact that a transfer still has to sit out a year.

2 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

The new transfer rule doesn't change the fact that a transfer still has to sit out a year.

Demetris Robertson, the No. 1 receiver in college football’s 2016 recruiting class, is transferring to Georgia from Cal, and the NCAA’s since decided he can play in 2018, according to multiple UGA outlets.

How is this possible, and how does UGA have room?  I thought they signed a full class in Feb?

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

Demetris Robertson, the No. 1 receiver in college football’s 2016 recruiting class, is transferring to Georgia from Cal, and the NCAA’s since decided he can play in 2018, according to multiple UGA outlets.

How is this possible, and how does UGA have room?  I thought they signed a full class in Feb?

I'm not sure.  It seems to me that there has to either be some kind of hardship issue or something going on at Cal (e.g., a scandal like at Baylor a few years back) in order for the NCAA to allow him to be eligible to play right away. The article in the OP says that Cal has had a coaching change, but (other than in the case of scandal/sanctions), that in and of itself has not typically warranted a transfer without having to sit out a year..

On 8/11/2018 at 8:19 PM, AU80cruiser said:

Isn't this where Emmert comes in?

Thought the new transfer rule wasn't in effect until october.

Emmert? He isn't going to do a thing. Kirby knows where all of Nick's skeletons are buried. 

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Emmert? He isn't going to do a thing. Kirby knows where all of Nick's skeletons are buried. 

I meant thats where the connection to Emmert comes in to save the day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived