Pettway out indefinitely

ValleyTiger

16 hours ago, DAG said:

Are you kidding ? UGA is the type of team that would stonewall KP. Need speed backs and passing to win that one 

Did you watch the Clemson game? I hope the rest of you are right, but I think UGA is going to be a similar game.

I think the offense works much better with Pettway healthy - he is more effective in play action and in pass protection. And he can get you three yards against a good defense when you really need it.

We don't have the quick passing plays you would need to attack a defense like UGA. And we don't have the pass protection against a good defense for the long, slow developing pass plays that we call. 

Obviously the best shot is that our defense can rattle the freshman QB early, but UGA has done a good job of calling plays that don't ask him to hold the ball or make reads so he can get rid of it quickly. 

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Did you watch the Clemson game? I hope the rest of you are right, but I think UGA is going to be a similar game.

I think the offense works much better with Pettway healthy - he is more effective in play action and in pass protection. And he can get you three yards against a good defense when you really need it.

We don't have the quick passing plays you would need to attack a defense like UGA. And we don't have the pass protection against a good defense for the long, slow developing pass plays that we call. 

Obviously the best shot is that our defense can rattle the freshman QB early, but UGA has done a good job of calling plays that don't ask him to hold the ball or make reads so he can get rid of it quickly. 

One. The Clemson game is hard to gauge because clearly the offensive strategy didn’t seem to be that of CCL.

Two, you don’t know what KP can do against great defensive lines . LSU , the last two years have pretty much handled him and he was hurt against UGA and Bama. Just because he is running all over Arkansas doesn’t mean squat .

edit: He might’ve been hurt against Alabama last year , but he played and his numbers were not good. You are not going to just be able to bull rush against great defensive teams .

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

One. The Clemson game is hard to gauge because clearly the offensive strategy didn’t seem to be that of CCL.

Two, you don’t know what KP can do against great defensive lines . LSU , the last two years have pretty much handled him and he was hurt against UGA and Bama. Just because he is running all over Arkansas doesn’t mean squat .

Fair enough, but I'm not clear on how you think we are going to move the ball on UGA. Everyone keeps talking about beating them by passing - we've played one good defense this year and couldn't pass on them at all.

We just lost Kyle Davis. We refuse to feature Myers for some reason. Slayton has the drops. Hastings is not going to take over a game. We don't use tight ends at all. 

Our red zone offense is KJ in wildcat, which UGA will stop. The one-two punch of a healthy KJ and Pettway gives the offense a much better balance (and we don't use any backup RBs, so they aren't well-prepared to step in now). Like I said, I hope you are right but I don't see it. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong. Maybe Ben Leard and Ronnie Daniels have some eligibility left...

Just now, Sani-Freeze said:

Fair enough, but I'm not clear on how you think we are going to move the ball on UGA. Everyone keeps talking about beating them by passing - we've played one good defense this year and couldn't pass on them at all.

We just lost Kyle Davis. We refuse to feature Myers for some reason. Slayton has the drops. Hastings is not going to take over a game. We don't use tight ends at all. 

Our red zone offense is KJ in wildcat, which UGA will stop. The one-two punch of a healthy KJ and Pettway gives the offense a much better balance (and we don't use any backup RBs, so they aren't well-prepared to step in now). Like I said, I hope you are right but I don't see it.

We are going to have to move the ball by passing and getting to the outside if possible. UGA is going to force you to pass. KP running HB dive 30 times against an 8 man box will pose the same results it has in the past against quality teams. If the run is not there, you better have another strategy. 

It's ridiculous that we would not fare as well against GA and Alabama with Pettway. It is ALWAYS a plus to have a shifty versatile back like KJ and a bruiser like Pettway. I think he is also the better blocker. 

You never know when one type of back creates more problems for a D. But if you can run the ball, and as you wear the D down, Pettway would have worn the D down even more. He looked his best, healthy-wise in the Ark game.

We need as many backs as possible for these 3 tough SEC games. If Gus is only going to use KJ, heaven help us if he gets hurt or banged up. 

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

It's ridiculous that we would not fare as well against GA and Alabama with Pettway. It is ALWAYS a plus to have a shifty versatile back like KJ and a bruiser like Pettway. I think he is also the better blocker. 

You never know when one type of back creates more problems for a D. But if you can run the ball, and as you wear the D down, Pettway would have worn the D down even more. He looked his best, healthy-wise in the Ark game.

We need as many backs as possible for these 3 tough SEC games. If Gus is only going to use KJ, heaven help us if he gets hurt or banged up. 

I don't think anyone has said anything like that. I guess we should just cancel the game since KP is out for the season? What a group of us are saying is people don't need to get their panties in a wad since he is out. The fact is, statistical, KP has been pedestrian against those teams. If you can argue otherwise, please do provide data to rebuff this notion. Great defenses are going to do their best to make you one dimensional. The bottom line, UGA was/is going to scheme against the run. IMO, the three feature backs we have provide different capabilities that can be utilized to neutralize UGA. The issue is the coaching staff refuses to even put some of these men in position to exploit the opponent.   

I don't get all the posters minimizing the importance of this injury. All season this offense has been "not quite right" and a big part of that is the fact that KJ and Pettway have never both been healthy at the same time. The Arky game was the first real glimpse we got of them both being able to be close to 100%.

We can still win out, but in doing so we will now have to do it while missing an important cog in the wheel. This injury causes a big, big problem. It's a major loss.

I think anytime you have a bruiser like Pettway, healthy, it can't help but make a difference. It worked perfectly at Arky with KJ in the 1st half and KP in the 2nd. As the game wore on it looked like Arky defenders didn't really want to make contact with KP. Having said that, we haven't had both of them healthy at the same time too much the last 2 years.

So it is what it is and hopefully Barrett can handle some of the bruiser work to compliment KJ. Who knows, by the time UGA rolls around it will have been 3 weeks for KP and maybe he can go. Extra padding on his shoulder blade, his shoulder pads over that, a pain killer, you never can tell. Let us hope.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't get all the posters minimizing the importance of this injury. All season this offense has been "not quite right" and a big part of that is the fact that KJ and Pettway have never both been healthy at the same time. The Arky game was the first real glimpse we got of them both being able to be close to 100%.

We can still win out, but in doing so we will now have to do it while missing an important cog in the wheel. This injury causes a big, big problem. It's a major loss.

We were typing the same thoughts at almost the same time, lol. GMTA

2 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Auburn MUST use all of its weapons. Pettway was a big one but we have many more.

Now just use them.

Lost our best pass protector......don't see Martin or Barrett filling that gap.

44 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe they won't call so many chuck it down the field plays, then - who knows, people may get their "intermediate route" prayers answered.

Maybe. Ish.

3 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Maybe they won't call so many chuck it down the field plays, then - who knows, people may get their "intermediate route" prayers answered.

Maybe. Ish.

Could be....for me at least I'm still trying to figure out what people on this forum want.....last year it was complaints all year because SW could not go long and then when JS started  hitting the deep passes, the crowd was beyond happy.  I'm thinking it was the LSU game that got folks upset about all passes being 30+ yards...up until then then, most of us enjoyed those big gainers and Stat was giving serious points for "impact plays" beyond 15 yards. 

Either way, someone has to keep the LBs and DEs off of JS....even on the intermediate routes. 

Bottom line:  Our coaches must adapt and use the avail talent to 'win the game'.  Reminder: 2002 vs bama, Tre Smith was practically an unknown, but the OC (Petrino) tailored some plays and we had some wrinkles.  And ......BOOM!  we won with some great play and great coaching.

My 2 cents:   spread the field and make their LBs run sideline to sideline early and often.  As stated, we will not win going up against the teeth of their D (interior line).  New wrinkle - some new, short and intermediate routes would be nice b/c Pettway isn't there to pass protect.   The game just changed.   This isn't time to make someone "step up".  It's time for the coaches to "step up".

War Eagle -

55 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Braden is out?

5 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

We were typing the same thoughts at almost the same time, lol. GMTA

Great minds think alike. 

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Bottom line:  Our coaches must adapt and use the avail talent to 'win the game'.  Reminder: 2002 vs bama, Tre Smith was practically an unknown, but the OC (Petrino) tailored some plays and we had some wrinkles.  And ......BOOM!  we won with some great play and great coaching.

My 2 cents:   spread the field and make their LBs run sideline to sideline early and often.  As stated, we will not win going up against the teeth of their D (interior line).  New wrinkle - some new, short and intermediate routes would be nice b/c Pettway isn't there to pass protect.   The game just changed.   This isn't time to make someone "step up".  It's time for the coaches to "step up".

War Eagle -

Very true, but in 2002 we were not going against 18 of 22 starters that are five star athletes!

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

War Eagle -

8 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Very true, but in 2002 we were not going against 18 of 22 starters that are five star athletes!

Yes, but bama is beatable and they have shown that.   We should not be intimidated by bama or uga.  We haven't been this loaded in talent since 2004.   Injuries happen every year, to every program.   That is not an excuse.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Braden is out?

I'd love to see a goal line package where he gets about a 10 yard head of steam and runs up the gut. Preferably while shouting like the giant bearded guy from Braveheart.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Braden is out?

Haven't noticed him picking up the crashing DEs and blitzing LBs....but that might be something to consider. 

Not sure what to expect from TAMU.  If they play like they did against MSU, then we should be able to win by 14 or more points. If they play like they did against bammer, we could see a hard fought down to the wire game. Who knows.  If Gus pulls a bone headed play deal like LSU, we could all be ready to run him out of town. I hope he learned a lesson from the LSU game more than you know.  The team deserves the kind of play calling that can bring home a solid win.

Archived