Pettway out indefinitely

ValleyTiger

5 hours ago, Beaker said:

Bottom line:  Our coaches must adapt and use the avail talent to 'win the game'.  Reminder: 2002 vs bama, Tre Smith was practically an unknown, but the OC (Petrino) tailored some plays and we had some wrinkles.  And ......BOOM!  we won with some great play and great coaching.

My 2 cents:   spread the field and make their LBs run sideline to sideline early and often.  As stated, we will not win going up against the teeth of their D (interior line).  New wrinkle - some new, short and intermediate routes would be nice b/c Pettway isn't there to pass protect.   The game just changed.   This isn't time to make someone "step up".  It's time for the coaches to "step up".

War Eagle -

We won that game while scoring only 17 points. It's going to take more than 17 to win the two big ones coming up and in losing Pettway we lost an important part of our scoring.

About injuries, one of the remarkable things about both 2004 and 2010 was Auburn's lack of injuries. This year's team has been injury plagued from season's start. O-line, RB, DB, LB, all those positions have had multiple starters miss multiple games. Most teams suffering through our injuries would be way worse than 6-2 at this point.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

We won that game while scoring only 17 points. It's going to take more than 17 to win the two big ones coming up and in losing Pettway we lost an important part of our scoring.

About injuries, one of the remarkable things about both 2004 and 2010 was Auburn's lack of injuries. This year's team has been injury plagued from season's start. O-line, RB, DB, LB, all those positions have had multiple starters miss multiple games. Most teams suffering through our injuries would be way worse than 6-2 at this point.

Boy howdy Mikey you are spot on. Man, you are so knowledgeable. Thanks for this post!

On 10/31/2017 at 1:30 PM, bg5 said:

Do you really think so? I thought we had a chance at them but I would not have guessed that we might be favored.

It's not what about I think. We are favored by 2.5 right now. 2 AU sites have articles written about it.

3 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Takes a whole lot of force to break a scapula. 

You’re right Mikey, snake-bitten with injuries.

Important to note, though, that this could also be force transmitted from falling on the  humerus and not necessarily a lateral blow to the back (although the character of the injury and where exactly on the scapula it is would differ - the scapula is, of course, a fairly large bone, so that means lots of places to break...who designed that thing, anyway?)

3 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

Important to note, though, that this could also be force transmitted from falling on the  humerus and not necessarily a lateral blow to the back (although the character of the injury and where exactly on the scapula it is would differ - the scapula is, of course, a fairly large bone, so that means lots of places to break...who designed that thing, anyway?)

Makes one think...are we talking about an AC joint? It’s part of the scapula. If so, why are coaches not calling it that. Curious indeed. Only because the time frame for return would be a little more firm if we knew exactly where this scapula was broken. But we won’t unless a coach tells us. Hmm. 

Just now, passthebiscuits said:

Makes one think...are we talking about an AC joint? It’s part of the scapula. If so, why are coaches not calling it that. Curious indeed. Only because the time frame for return would be a little more firm if we knew exactly where this scapula was broken. But we won’t unless a coach tells us. Hmm. 

One of the beat writers for AU was on local radio yesterday (I think B. Matthews).  He was saying that he is hearing that they are hoping to have him back for the bowl game.

28 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Not sure what you're getting at...I think there are too many angles that can be pounced on with this staff.  Curious though...is this in any way similar to what Fannin dealt with?  It seriously derailed his bright future.

I admit I didn't read the 7 pages so if this has been asked and answered already don't be rude just point me to the answer.  

Since KP hasn't hardly played this year what are his chances of coming back next year?

9 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Not sure what you're getting at...I think there are too many angles that can be pounced on with this staff.  Curious though...is this in any way similar to what Fannin dealt with?  It seriously derailed his bright future.

Gotta remember HIPA and stuff like that.  Coaches can't just ramble on about personal health stuff without permission.   Seems to me we got the word that he is out because of an injury from the Arky game. 

Not sure why we need more other than just idle curiosity but coaches have probably said about all they can legally say. JMO. 

10 minutes ago, AuGrad2004 said:

I admit I didn't read the 7 pages so if this has been asked and answered already don't be rude just point me to the answer.  

Since KP hasn't hardly played this year what are his chances of coming back next year?

The smart thing is to come back...but he's got a family to provide for so I'd say the chances are low.

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't think losing Pettway affects us as much as everyone thinks.  His production this year, save the Arkansas game, has not been too good.  However, Gus will need to play Kam Martin, Devan Barrett, and Malik Miller in order to spread the load out, which I don't see him doing....   So, catch 22?

29 minutes ago, 1856 said:

I don't think losing Pettway affects us as much as everyone thinks.  His production this year, save the Arkansas game, has not been too good.  However, Gus will need to play Kam Martin, Devan Barrett, and Malik Miller in order to spread the load out, which I don't see him doing....   So, catch 22?

Yep. Not trying to diss KP, but people act like he was productive against any of these relative four : UGA, LSU, Clemson or Bama. It is no different than it has been in the last year. Those games are going to be based on three things: QB play, the trenches and minimal turnovers.

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep. Not trying to diss KP, but people act like he was productive against any of these relative four : UGA, LSU, Clemson or Bama. It is no different than it has been in the last year. Those games are going to be based on three things: QB play, the trenches and minimal turnovers.

And play calling.

wde

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

The smart thing is to come back...but he's got a family to provide for so I'd say the chances are low.

I would think  he would want to have a healthy season to raise his stock ( like Carl Lawson). With his injuries this year he might not even get drafted. The NFL doesn't value RB's like they used to.

5 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I would think  he would want to have a healthy season to raise his stock ( like Carl Lawson). With his injuries this year he might not even get drafted. The NFL doesn't value RB's like they used to.

Not to mention...  Look at the RBs that are coming out this year: Barkley, Chubb, Michel, Guice, Love, Scarborough.  And that is just a few that have been getting the limelight.  Can't imagine KP would get much love if he did leave.  Heck this site doesn't even list him as a top 25 RB

http://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-RBs-2018-Draft.asp

8 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Not to mention...  Look at the RBs that are coming out this year: Barkley, Chubb, Michel, Guice, Love, Scarborough.  And that is just a few that have been getting the limelight.  Can't imagine KP would get much love if he did leave.  Heck this site doesn't even list him as a top 25 RB

http://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-RBs-2018-Draft.asp

In recent years we've lost a few players who did not have good NFL prospects but left for financial reasons but I think all were coming off pretty good seasons. .   As noted, seems it would be best for him to stay and hope to have a healthy year in 2018 and increase his prospects.   

As for the impact of him being out.....can't imagine that his absence won't hurt for the rest of the year.   When healthy he was our #1 back and we don't have anyone behind him with some of his unique capabilities. True he has been out most of the season and it's pretty easy to see that  his absence has made a difference in our offense. 

On 10/31/2017 at 3:49 PM, bigbird said:

Said by everyone this last off-season

I remember a certain team in 2003 that was supposed to be a world beater who got embarrassed by USC and Ga Tech to start the year and finished 8-4.  The next year no one gave that coach and team much of a chance even though the offense returned most of the talent from the year before.  Not saying next year Auburn will be undefeated but it wouldn’t surprise me.  This team like that 2003 team has a ton of talent but is fairly young at Wr and Qb and it shows.  Who knows what a year of gelling will do.  Also Gus needs to keep his foot off the break of the bus.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

In recent years we've lost a few players who did not have good NFL prospects but left for financial reasons but I think all were coming off pretty good seasons. .   As noted, seems it would be best for him to stay and hope to have a healthy year in 2018 and increase his prospects.   

As for the impact of him being out.....can't imagine that his absence won't hurt for the rest of the year.   When healthy he was our #1 back and we don't have anyone behind him with some of his unique capabilities. True he has been out most of the season and it's pretty easy to see that  his absence has made a difference in our offense. 

Your right I was just going with the since we haven't had him most of the year then we can't miss what we haven't had mindset. But then again we do know what we are missing because of last year.

2 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Your right I was just going with the since we haven't had him most of the year then we can't miss what we haven't had mindset. But then again we do know what we are missing because of last year.

I think the problem this year is that the coaches kept thinking ...or hoping..... he would be back and thus they never developed a good Plan B.  

We can blame that on the coaches I guess but I'm not sure there was much of a Plan B type guy on the roster anyway or they probably would not have been trying to get some mileage out of him when he limping around. .  

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

I think the problem this year is that the coaches kept thinking ...or hoping..... he would be back and thus they never developed a good Plan B.  

We can blame that on the coaches I guess but I'm not sure there was much of a Plan B type guy on the roster anyway or they probably would not have been trying to get some mileage out of him when he limping around. .  

They certainly haven't given anyone else much of a chance.

8 minutes ago, bg5 said:

They certainly haven't given anyone else much of a chance.

So true....but I gotta believe that if they thought the offense would be better they would have tried someone else.   The coaches want to win at least as bad as the fans do...so guess it's a judgment call.    BUT....I sure hate that we are not going to have him for the rest of the season......and I bet JS hates it also.  .

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So true....but I gotta believe that if they thought the offense would be better they would have tried someone else.   The coaches want to win at least as bad as the fans do...so guess it's a judgment call.    BUT....I sure hate that we are not going to have him for the rest of the season......and I bet JS hates it also.  .

It’s not about the offense being better. It’s about having appropriate depth need be. So now Kam Martin has no choice but to be the second string back up with very little game reps. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

It’s not about the offense being better. It’s about having appropriate depth need be. So now Kam Martin has no choice but to be the second string back up with very little game reps. 

Do I recall that he has been hurt off and on this year ...and last year too?  But I see he has more than 500 yards rushing in his career...not like he's not been on the field. 

Otherwise, at 175 pounds I don't think he was considered to be the back-up for a 230 pound beast like the big Kam.   I was hoping to see more of Miller....a bigger guy at about 215. 

Archived