Wiley and Purifoy

around4ever

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If he comes back & we can somehow get Heron to come back next season this team will be stacked.

tenor-2.gif

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only good thing about Wiley is that a decision was made and it does not continue to drag out. Just hope the rest is cleared up so the team can play without  that being a concern.  The not knowing is worse than hearing a decision we do not like.

I’m curious if the few thousand the family reportedly got was worth one year less in the league and a year of no competitive play?  Which I guess could cost him another year possibly.

im thinking that maybe, possibly was a poor business decision ... ranks right up there with a pro caliber athlete gettIng kicked off the team for smoking pot ... smdh 

We talk regularly about what benefit there is for a football player to come back after his Jr year and consensus is "none". .....so wondering why Wiley would come back and play another year and delay his professional career by 2 years....sure can't see any benefit to that vs hooking up for some basketball somewhere now.  

NBA is there for him now and a year from now.....and gotta wonder if it's worth the money to sit out a season and then play a college season before signing up.  

This is a case where taking the money would seem to be a no brainer.  

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

We talk regularly about what benefit there is for a football player to come back after his Jr year and consensus is "none". .....so wondering why Wiley would come back and play another year and delay his professional career by 2 years....sure can't see any benefit to that vs hooking up for some basketball somewhere now.  

NBA is there for him now and a year from now.....and gotta wonder if it's worth the money to sit out a season and then play a college season before signing up.  

I know the kid is (typo fixed) good.  He did well last year but wasn’t a first rounder I wouldn’t think.  He had a really good summer of international ball but his opponents were 19 ... and he hasn’t played since.  Europe or college for a year is a must.  I’d think sec would be better than Europe at his young age and position

2 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I know the kid isn’t good.  He did well last year but wasn’t a first rounder I wouldn’t think.  He had a really good summer of international ball but his opponents were 19 ... and he hasn’t played since.  Europe or college for a year is a must.  I’d think sec would be better than Europe at his young age and position

Just thinking that he could start playing now and not wait another two years. He is probably not far behind the one and done guys out there now...and _6'11 is special.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

e talk regularly about what benefit there is for a football player to come back after his Jr year and consensus is "none". .....so wondering why Wiley would come back and play another year and delay his professional career by 2 years....sure can't see any benefit to that vs hooking up for some basketball somewhere now.  

Why would it be 2 years? He's siting out 1 year. And the benefit would be to get his stock back up. He has dropped some on draft board by not playing this season.

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

glad we finally have some closure on this

Purifoy's is not closed. AU is still investigating his sitch. That's why the NCAA hasn't ruled on him yet.

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just thinking that he could start playing now and not wait another two years. He is probably not far behind the one and done guys out there now...and _6'11 is special.

He's in school. He's not leaving before the season is over.

1 hour ago, AUFlyer99 said:

I would love to know the difference between these two cases and Colon Sexton's case.  

A good bit. There is no proof or indication that money was discussed or given to Sexton and/or his family. The connection Sexton had was to Kobie Baker, the Bama assistant who was fired. Baker himself was asking for money from an agent to arrange a meeting. Baker never says he’s going to pay Sexton, at least not on tape or to any of the witnesses. 

In both Wiley’s and Purifoy’s cases, either Person is saying he’s going to pay them/their families or, in Purifoy’s case, he’s in the room when the discussion of money happens and is ok with the conversation. 

So, my take on all this, which doesn’t mean much. The ruling was made, and Auburn might “appeal.” But I think they would only do so as a customary gesture where they know they won’t win. I think some type of deal was reached where we agree to suspend Wiley for the year and possibly self-impose some sanctions on recruiting (like perhaps not having any recruits on campus during games this year) in exchange for the the NCAA not pursuing this further or continuing to go after Bruce or further punish Bruce. That way the NCAA looks like they took a hard-line stance in this nonsense, and we don’t get crucified for something a rogue assistant did that in no way benefitted Auburn. 

My only concern is the mention of recruiting violations. What that entails I don’t know, and I’m concerned that the NCAA might want to dig more on that. Could have to do with the assistants being suspended. Hopefully, it wasn’t anything significant, and this decision along with the pending Purifoy decision can be the end of this investigation. 

Also, I think this points to a good possibility of Wiley returning next year. I expect him and Heron to declare for the draft without signing with an agent to get their evaluations and see where they fit into the draft. Both have slipped a bit in their projections, and I think they could both help themselves by returning. Plus this team could be poised to make a very strong run next year, which could be enticing depending on how this season unfolds. 

I’m absolutely not a basketball guy ... but if heron were to play a third year and continue with his almost nightly 15 points, 6 boards and 2 assists/steals ... while helping lead the team to a second straight NCAA tourney ... which would create some additional buzz around this team ... I’m assuming that would be helpful

3 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I’m curious if the few thousand the family reportedly got was worth one year less in the league and a year of no competitive play?  Which I guess could cost him another year possibly.

im thinking that maybe, possibly was a poor business decision ... ranks right up there with a pro caliber athlete gettIng kicked off the team for smoking pot ... smdh 

My wild guess is that Wiley's family didn't get much, if any money. I can see a situation where they are friends with Person and agreed to talk to the clothing rep as a favor for a friend. Sucks for AU and Austin Wiley!

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

If he comes back & we can somehow get Heron to come back next season this team will be stacked.

Are all of our players eligible to return next year? Do we have any seniors besides Pat Keim? I can't remember if Murray or Dunbar were regular transfers or grad transfers. 

6 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Are all of our players eligible to return next year? Do we have any seniors besides Pat Keim? I can't remember if Murray or Dunbar were regular transfers or grad transfers. 

1. The only question right now is Danjel. 2. No. 3. Murray was an undergrad transfer & Dunbar was a Juco transfer.

10 hours ago, boomstick said:

So, my take on all this, which doesn’t mean much. The ruling was made, and Auburn might “appeal.” But I think they would only do so as a customary gesture where they know they won’t win. I think some type of deal was reached where we agree to suspend Wiley for the year and possibly self-impose some sanctions on recruiting (like perhaps not having any recruits on campus during games this year) in exchange for the the NCAA not pursuing this further or continuing to go after Bruce or further punish Bruce. That way the NCAA looks like they took a hard-line stance in this nonsense, and we don’t get crucified for something a rogue assistant did that in no way benefitted Auburn. 

My only concern is the mention of recruiting violations. What that entails I don’t know, and I’m concerned that the NCAA might want to dig more on that. Could have to do with the assistants being suspended. Hopefully, it wasn’t anything significant, and this decision along with the pending Purifoy decision can be the end of this investigation. 

Also, I think this points to a good possibility of Wiley returning next year. I expect him and Heron to declare for the draft without signing with an agent to get their evaluations and see where they fit into the draft. Both have slipped a bit in their projections, and I think they could both help themselves by returning. Plus this team could be poised to make a very strong run next year, which could be enticing depending on how this season unfolds. 

IF you read some of the articles that came out right after the NCAA handed down the ruling, then it would appear that Auburn was shocked by Wiley being ruled ineligible for the whole year. Auburn had felt through sources that at some time this year, that he would be allowed to play in 2018. This ruling to Auburn was a shock.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

1. The only question right now is Danjel. 2. No. 3. Murray was an undergrad transfer & Dunbar was a Juco transfer.

Ok thanks! Appreciate the work you do! 

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

There is a big difference in salaries between the first and second round. As a matter of fact, the late 1st round picks earn around only 20% of what the top picks make in the 1st round.  So you can imagine what a second rounder will make, which is where he is projected now to go.

If he wants big big money, then it is to his advantage to play at Auburn next year, and if he has a really good year, then he can get big money in the NBA.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

My wild guess is that Wiley's family didn't get much, if any money. I can see a situation where they are friends with Person and agreed to talk to the clothing rep as a favor for a friend. Sucks for AU and Austin Wiley!

Wiley's father (Aubrey Wiley) is Chuck Person's cousin. He is also the Head Women's Basketball and Volleyball coach at Lawson State CC.  He would know the NCAA Rules. 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

There is a big difference in salaries between the first and second round. As a matter of fact, the late 1st round picks earn around only 20% of what the top picks make in the 1st round.  So you can imagine what a second rounder will make, which is where he is projected now to go.

If he wants big big money, then it is to his advantage to play at Auburn next year, and if he has a really good year, then he can get big money in the NBA.

adding to that I believe that 2nd round contracts are not guaranteed either.

this team is doing pretty well without wiley and to be honest, it might be best that he is not allowed to play this year....this bunch is fun to watch ( frustrating as hell sometimes,also) and the chemistry does not need to messed with.....5 more fouls would be nice to have, but we are doing fine as it is

Archived