Wiley and Purifoy

around4ever

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

How much fun would it be if they call out their names on the PA in the starting lineup tonight 

More fun than a night with  Joey Freshwater out on the town in boca! lol

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

He hangs out in Lauderdale

Damn. Joey Freshwater entourage runs so deep it includes golf?! Impressed! Now all he needs is Lance Thompson on staff and it will be a party! WOOO!

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Since Purifoy and Wiley have not played this year and since as far as we know at this time there is no proof that Auburn or coach Pearl knew what Person's was doing there is no reason for them to ban Auburn from post season play. I am not worried about it unless another bombshell show Auburn and or Coach Pearl were involved and by now I think that would have come out.

Agree...AU wisely is playing it safe with the two players as have most of the other schools who were mentioned.  Just thinking that if there were anything directly naming BP it would have come out.. (like Petino) ..but nothing....so no reason for him not to continue the season.  Not saying he might not get slapped a bit, but can't see that affecting post season play.  

Meanwhile, just need to keep on winning..... those home games especially....., and hope everyone is ready for LSU. 

Missed first half of the game but tried to follow on gametracker.

At some point there was a sub for PURIFOY on gametracker.

Was that a typo??

9 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Missed first half of the game but tried to follow on gametracker.

At some point there was a sub for PURIFOY on gametracker.

Was that a typo??

I think he got a little hungry so someone brought him a meatball on rye. 

Yes it was a typo. I didn’t even notice if he was at the game or not.

Does anyone know if we offered immediate eligibility or just for postseason play as a compromise? I don't think it would have mattered anyways, solely for the fact of Auburn being the school the #1 defendant in the case was coaching at. 

15 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Our next step needs to be getting Purifoy eligible next year. We can’t recruit him to come back until we know when he’s going to be eligible.

He wouldn't come back even if eligible, I am sure.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/suspended-auburn-players-austin-wiley-danjel-purifoy-to-test-nba-draft-waters/

Suspended Auburn players Austin Wiley, Danjel Purifoy to test NBA Draft waters

Matt Norlander

Suspended Auburn sophomores Austin Wiley and Danjel Purifoy intend to put their names into the NBA Draft process, Auburn coach Bruce Pearl told CBS Sports. 

Both players have not played this season due to their involvement in the FBI's probe into illicit college basketball recruiting. Among other federal charges, former Auburn assistant Chuck Person has been accused of providing the families of Wiley and Purifoy money, in addition to fraudulently pocketing tens of thousands of dollars for himself. 

Wiley has already been declared ineligible for 2017-18 by the NCAA, per a ruling in mid-January. His appeal on that decision was denied last week. 

"After an internal investigation, Auburn self-reported violations involving recruiting, extra benefits and agent-related activity," the NCAA said via formal statement on Jan. 11. 

Purifoy is not expected to be cleared but is yet to get official word from the NCAA on his status. Pearl could not offer a timeline on Purifoy's case getting a verdict, but at this point he and the team are operating under the idea that Purifoy's fate will be the same as Wiley's. Despite their ineligible status for competition, Pearl said both players have practiced with the team all season. 

"They're both ready to get evaluated," Pearl said. "One of the good things you get with this process is there's time to be evaluated now. Even though it pains us to not have them out there ... if they're in position to go get drafted, that's what they should do. If not, then hopefully will both will have the option to return."

Ineligibility for this season and a draft declaration doesn't necessarily mean the end of either player's career at Auburn. If either player opts to remove their name from draft eligibility this spring -- in addition to not signing with an agent -- they could possibly return to school. In Wiley's case we know that to be certain. He has already been cleared for next season if he chooses to return. Purifoy is still waiting because, according to Pearl "the process, the interviews, the discovery, things like that, Austin got started a little sooner." 

Wiley and Purifoy combined to average more than 20 points and nine rebounds per game last season. From a production standpoint, they were thought to be two of the team's three best players heading into the season. Wiley is a 6-foot-11 center who was a five-star recruit in the Class of 2016. Purifoy is a 6-7 combo forward who was a four-star recruit and the No. 1-ranked player in the state of Alabama in the Class of 2016.  Wiley is considered the more legitimate NBA prospect at this point.

Pearl has repeatedly said he considers both players "victims" in how this situation played out. 

Despite the drama surrounding the FBI case, the inquiry by the NCAA and Auburn's own internal probe, Pearl has managed to pull off the improbable. The Tigers are 21-2 -- the best start in school history. In Monday's AP Poll, they bumped up to No. 8 in the rankings. Pearl is a candidate for national coach of the year.

Speaking on the subject of Auburn's surprising push to a No. 1 seed, Pearl said his team's adaptation to positionless basketball has been a big reason for Auburn's leap. He also noted Auburn's ability to make foul shots this season vs. last (the Tigers ranked 281st in free throw percentage in 2016-17; this season they're 10th) and an improvement in rebounding despite a lack of size. From an execution standpoint Pearl noted his team is so much smarter when running offense at the end of the shot clock. 

"Small-ball is not such a bad thing," he said. "Give all the credit to the kids."

Without Wiley and Purifoy, Auburn has nonetheless managed to win at Tennessee for the first time in 20 years, win at Ole Miss for the first time in a decade and, over the weekend, knocked off Vanderbilt for the first time in 13 tries. But a game with Kentucky, plus road trips to Florida and Arkansas, still await. 

"You've got to be competitive before you can be good, before you can really win," Pearl said, referencing his team's 23-3 non-conference record the past two seasons. "This is not a one-hit wonder. ... They want to say we came from nowhere. No. We had a bunch of freshmen last year, we have eight guys back, and nobody's approached it that way." 

Auburn's next game is at home Wednesday against Texas A&M, a team Pearl labeled as arguably the most talented in the SEC. 

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

Our next step needs to be getting Purifoy eligible next year. We can’t recruit him to come back until we know when he’s going to be eligible.

Going to be much harder to get him eligible for next year than it was for Wiley for next year. In my mind it's pretty much a foregone conclusion he will never play college ball again.

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

He wouldn't come back even if eligible, I am sure.

He would if he isn't drafted high. That last part is probable at least.

No surprise I guess....and interesting not even a comment on DP's situation which I guess remains the same.   Good for both of them to continue working out with the team if they are looking for NBA draft evaluation....and I guess in their current status they could actually  work out for scouts?  :dunno:  

JMO but AW will probably get a good look and be a first round pick...at least that's what one of the mock draft sites suggested.   DP is a big question mark...and still think that if money is a family issue, he should be playing pro ball overseas somewhere ...but who knows?

This kind of removes the mystery about the rest of the season for AU and I appreciate BP's comment about "small ball".   The Aggie game should be revealing about how we handle a truly big team. 

Archived