Wiley and Purifoy

around4ever

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Going to be much harder to get him eligible for next year than it was for Wiley for next year. In my mind it's pretty much a foregone conclusion he will never play college ball again.

Why ? because he is older, and he is ready to go regardless of his situation? Or is it bc the NCAA probably is not going to reinstate him even for next year....just wondering..

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Why ? because he is older, and he is ready to go regardless of his situation? Or is it bc the NCAA probably is not going to reinstate him even for next year....just wondering..

The evidence against him looks worse, at least of the stuff in the indictment that was released.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

He would if he isn't drafted high. That last part is probable at least.

Really, both of them should look to come back if eligible. As much as I'd like to see him succeed, I don't see DP getting drafted at all. If he goes, he'll end up in the D-league or Europe (which actually might be an okay deal for him).

AW will definitely be drafted if he goes, but if he's projected at the bottom of the 1st he'd probably make more money by waiting a year. With the rookie pay scale the way it is, he'd more that make more money in his rookie year as a top-10 pick than he would in his first 2 years as a 25+ pick. And I think he'd be quite capable of jumping into the top-10 with a real season of film.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Because Danjel was supposedly directly involved in the deal unlike Wiley.

Unpopular Opinion: We aren't 21-2 If Purifoy and WIley had been starting right now. WIley's playstyle slows down our pace and shooters mentality, and Danjel Purifoy had lost his shot and didn't make the team better down the stretch. Sure they might be good players on their own or in a different system but I can't possibly see Auburn's Chemistry any better than it is now.

2 hours ago, ReidMcLain said:

Unpopular Opinion: We aren't 21-2 If Purifoy and WIley had been starting right now. WIley's playstyle slows down our pace and shooters mentality, and Danjel Purifoy had lost his shot and didn't make the team better down the stretch. Sure they might be good players on their own or in a different system but I can't possibly see Auburn's Chemistry any better than it is now.

Chemistry may not be better but the team overall would be. I don't see where this "Wiley slows us down" stuff comes from. He's not a typical slow near 7 footer. Kid can run & run well. Where we would be slower is on O and that's to get him touches. With this team though our D and the way we press affects overall pace much more & Wiley as the back end of the press most of the time does not slow us down at all. And Bruce agrees w/ the 21-2 comment. He says 23-0.

4 hours ago, ReidMcLain said:

With the way this whole team has improved from last year to this one, it's almost impossible for me to think Purifoy wouldn't have improved as well. Purifoy has a pure stroke and is a long defender. Put him in a better position this season at the 3, and he's probably a better defender too. The one area I could see Purifoy causing a disruption would've been the minutes for Heron and Brown this year. Brown is thriving with the extra minutes he's getting being basically the only SG on the roster. If Purifoy were playing, he'd be taking minutes from Brown and from Heron because I don't think Purifoy was going to play the 4 much this year. 

40 minutes ago, boomstick said:

With the way this whole team has improved from last year to this one, it's almost impossible for me to think Purifoy wouldn't have improved as well. Purifoy has a pure stroke and is a long defender. Put him in a better position this season at the 3, and he's probably a better defender too. The one area I could see Purifoy causing a disruption would've been the minutes for Heron and Brown this year. Brown is thriving with the extra minutes he's getting being basically the only SG on the roster. If Purifoy were playing, he'd be taking minutes from Brown and from Heron because I don't think Purifoy was going to play the 4 much this year. 

It would also help our depth issues when we get into early foul trouble.  The issue with how far up we press is we get called for fouls like crazy.  It is not unheard of for one or two starters to have two fouls 5 minutes into the game, which will be fine for now, but when we really play the big boys, will cause issues.

I think Bruce would find a way to incorporate both players.  Remember that they have been practicing every day with the team.  I do think them sitting has allowed Dunbar and Murray a chance to find a prominent role on the floor.  Now that these guys are established proof of what they can do, adding the other players would only be a benefit. 

Having Austin’s height would help especially with A&M tomorrow. It won’t matter now, but we’d be better with him. 

2 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Having Austin’s height would help especially with A&M tomorrow. It won’t matter now, but we’d be better with him. 

It's always nice to have a big guy like AW....but we don't and JMO but by now BP and team have figured out how to play with who they have and I'm not sure we would have a better team if AW suddenly became eligible.....but of course that is settled.  

As for DP.....don't think we will see him either and not sure with the development of the young guys and the performance of Murray that we miss him that much now.  Injury or whatever it might have been, I just never sensed the commitment to the team from him...and then fact that he took money knowing what it could do to Auburn and his own eligibility....not good....

Wiley slowing things down?  Wiley was quoted last year that his dad instructed him to run the floor for opportunities to score more often.  I paid attention to that ... he always beat the other teams bigs down the floor and often benefited with easy buckets.

purifoy would have been better and the team would have benefitted.  Dunbar would have lost minutes and I think heron might have seen some time at the 2 spelling brown some from his team high minutes.  (Pending defensive needs)

this team would be a monster running 11 guys out on the floor and playing at an insane pace.  We would be a freaking nightmare for other teams with those 2 guys.  I can only dream to think that those 2 along with, doughty, the new recruit (assumes he moves up a class) along with the entire team returning!  Holy cow - 13 guys who can all play!

If everything had gone as planned this season without the fbi, did ANYONE ANYWHERE project Auburn basketball to be 21-2 #8 in the national rankings? I would love to have the size in the post season but I think we are better right now than we would have been without the trouble. It doesn’t really make sense. But that is somewhat what I believe. 

59 minutes ago, alexava said:

If everything had gone as planned this season without the fbi, did ANYONE ANYWHERE project Auburn basketball to be 21-2 #8 in the national rankings? I would love to have the size in the post season but I think we are better right now than we would have been without the trouble. It doesn’t really make sense. But that is somewhat what I believe. 

I have had the same feeling for a while. Addition by subtraction, not by the standard definition, but because I think it made the this team more dependent on and trusting of each other. 

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

I have had the same feeling for a while. Addition by subtraction, not by the standard definition, but because I think it made the this team more dependent on and trusting of each other. 

Exactly and it’s not a negative towards the two players. It’s just weird. 

I guess I'm one of the few remembering us killing Italian pro teams this past Summer w/ Danjel on roster. We would definitely be better w/ AW & Danjel.

3 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

AW didn’t play the Italian games due to his leg injury.  I don’t specifically remember how DP did, but it seems the team did great

Thanks!  I forgot about AW's foot.

Those must have been minor league teams.....saw parts of some games and were not anywhere near SEC quality teams....but the trip did give the guys some "bonding' time together which was worth the trip IMO...

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Those must have been minor league teams.....saw parts of some games and were not anywhere near SEC quality teams....but the trip did give the guys some "bonding' time together which was worth the trip IMO...

some were low low minor league teams

On 2/6/2018 at 2:13 PM, ClaytonAU said:

yep, our lack of size was an issue last night. We couldn't stop them in the post.

9 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

yep, our lack of size was an issue last night. We couldn't stop them in the post.

True, that was a big factor but second half the team adjusted to them and still could have beaten them.....if Brown had been available and hitting his typical percentage of 3s.   Well played second half....coming from 15 down in a game that was not run and shoot style.  

Watched part of the Villanova game last night (which they lost) and their team looked a lot like AU....no true big guy but speed and defense and a superior outside shooter.  

Archived