Null



around4ever

Wiley and Purifoy

Recommended Posts

We need to stop bemoaning Wiley not playing and how his presence would have affected a game. That horse has been bludgeoned into glue.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




I’m seeing a lot of mock drafts recently that don’t have Wiley in the first round at all. If I were a pro team, I’d probably like to see him play a little more college ball too I guess. It’s looking more and more like we may have both of these guys back next year pending the purifoy investigation. I’m not so sure these guys are done playing college ball yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I’m seeing a lot of mock drafts recently that don’t have Wiley in the first round at all. If I were a pro team, I’d probably like to see him play a little more college ball too I guess. It’s looking more and more like we may have both of these guys back next year pending the purifoy investigation. I’m not so sure these guys are done playing college ball yet. 

If he shows out at the NBA Combine camp in May then HE GONE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I’m seeing a lot of mock drafts recently that don’t have Wiley in the first round at all. If I were a pro team, I’d probably like to see him play a little more college ball too I guess. It’s looking more and more like we may have both of these guys back next year pending the purifoy investigation. I’m not so sure these guys are done playing college ball yet. 

Other than depth, I don't see what Purifoy would being to the table with this team. He's certainly not going to put any current starter on the bench. Wiley fills a need and could obviously help.

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Other than depth, I don't see what Purifoy would being to the table with this team. He's certainly not going to put any current starter on the bench. Wiley fills a need and could obviously help.

Purifoy was a 37% 3-point shooter, an 88% FT shooter, third on the team in rebounds, fourth in assists. And this year or next, he'd play a different position, a more natural position, than what he played last year. We have two guys to play the 4, so Purifoy wouldn't be needed there unless it was an emergency. He'd play the 3, and his game would likely fit really well there. He'd defend players more aligned to his size and skillset. And with the improvements we've seen from every single player on this team who played last year, I believe we would've/will see those same types of improvements in Purifoy. 

He may not have started, but he certainly would've been (and could be next year) a significant contributor.

Edited by boomstick
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, boomstick said:

 

He may not have started, but he certainly would've been (and could be next year) a significant contributor.

Every minute he plays will put Heron or Brown on the bench for that minute. I just don't see the big benefit, other than as I already mentioned, depth. I think the discussion is moot anyway. Sadly, the NCAA is not likely to let him back at AU.

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Every minute he plays will put Heron or Brown on the bench for that minute. I just don't see the big benefit, other than as I already mentioned, depth. I think the discussion is moot anyway. Sadly, the NCAA is not likely to let him back at AU.

Remember Pearl has said numerous times he doesn't like his players playing more than 30 minutes a game. If Danjel was eligible he could gobble upwards to those 20 minutes available between BB & MH resting easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Other than depth, I don't see what Purifoy would being to the table with this team. He's certainly not going to put any current starter on the bench. Wiley fills a need and could obviously help.

This had me in tears, too dang funny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Every minute he plays will put Heron or Brown on the bench for that minute. I just don't see the big benefit, other than as I already mentioned, depth. I think the discussion is moot anyway. Sadly, the NCAA is not likely to let him back at AU.

Or when Purifoy comes in, we rotate Heron to the 2 and give Bryce a breather or give Heron a breather. Dunbar’s minutes disappear, and we wouldn’t play Harper and Mitchell at the same time at the 1 and 2. So, the way I see it, Dunbar and Mitchell would see their minutes diminish before Heron or Brown. 

As you said, it’s likely not going to matter because I’m not sure Purifoy will ever be cleared. But if he were able to play, I think everyone should want him on our roster as a big role player. 

Edited by boomstick
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or ... imagine the possibilities with 1 Harper 2 Bryce 3 heron 4 purifoy 5 Wiley ... 4 legit 3 point shooters who can all take it to the hole ... or dump it low to Wiley and let him do his thing...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Or ... imagine the possibilities with 1 Harper 2 Bryce 3 heron 4 purifoy 5 Wiley ... 4 legit 3 point shooters who can all take it to the hole ... or dump it low to Wiley and let him do his thing...

We've already got Chuma doing that. If the Purifoy of last year is what we'd get this time, we have his contribution covered very nicely. I'll hold open the idea that he could be vastly improved, would fit right in and so forth. But I'd have to see it first.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Or ... imagine the possibilities with 1 Harper 2 Bryce 3 heron 4 purifoy 5 Wiley ... 4 legit 3 point shooters who can all take it to the hole ... or dump it low to Wiley and let him do his thing...

Danjel was a liability out of position at the 4. That's part of @boomstick & @Mikey's point.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ellitor said:

If he shows out at the NBA Combine camp in May then HE GONE!

Do you have to declare for the NBA draft in order to compete in the combine?  Or is the combine different for NBA vs NFL? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purifoy in the 3 gives us the most mismatches.  Even playing the 4 with the improvement of Harper, Heron and Brown he would be a much different player.  He has the best inside/outside game on the team, is one of the best drivers to the basket, can create his own shot.  Have heard from several that he is the most dynamic offensive player on the team.  Last years offense had no chemistry and really gives no insight to his abilities.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Purifoy in the 3 gives us the most mismatches.  Even playing the 4 with the improvement of Harper, Heron and Brown he would be a much different player.  He has the best inside/outside game on the team, is one of the best drivers to the basket, can create his own shot.  Have heard from several that he is the most dynamic offensive player on the team.  Last years offense had no chemistry and really gives no insight to his abilities.

True....and now DP and AW are not there and chemistry is off the charts.....so just wondering why that's the case..? :dunno:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True....and now DP and AW are not there and chemistry is off the charts.....so just wondering why that's the case..? :dunno:

Wiley and Purifoy hardly played and practiced together.  Harper has improved his game so much.   Brown and Heron have developed their game as well.  Much more movement and awareness of each others game.  They know how to play together this year, last year they were still learning, why it was so dang frustrating for all of us watching them last year and Bruce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Wiley and Purifoy hardly played and practiced together.  Harper has improved his game so much.   Brown and Heron have developed their game as well.  Much more movement and awareness of each others game.  They know how to play together this year, last year they were still learning, why it was so dang frustrating for all of us watching them last year and Bruce.

All true but seems like the longer they played together the less of a "team" they were.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

Do you have to declare for the NBA draft in order to compete in the combine?  Or is the combine different for NBA vs NFL? 

Yes. That's the only way you can take part in the combine. Players do have a week after the combine though to decide if they want to go back to school & not be drafted.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

, is one of the best drivers to the basket

Yes but would he do it this year though. He didn't last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Last years offense had no chemistry

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

.so just wondering why that's the case..?

Dunnans was a big reason as has been said many times.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

All true but seems like the longer they played together the less of a "team" they were.     

Again. Dunnans influence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes but would he do it this year though. He didn't last year.

You answered part of that with Dunnans.  Last years offense was just confusing, all they ever had him do was stand on the wing, pulling a defender out from the middle giving Heron and Dunnans room to slash.  Harper always drove the ball too deep and Brown rarely put the ball on the floor.  It was like we handicapped ourselves.  Everyone seems more aggressive on offense this year, so I would assume so, but we know what it does to assume!!!  lol

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, AU64 said:

All true but seems like the longer they played together the less of a "team" they were.     

Well we were playing almost exclusively freshman....when your entire team for the most part has to fight through the "freshman wall" you get what we got last year down the stretch. Plus if you compare Harper running things this year with last year you'd think it's a completely different person and he's our QB. We go as he goes. Combine that with everyone playing selfishly last year and it was one big learning experience while fighting through having a senior who was feeling pressure to "make it" in Dunans who apparently wasn't handling coming off the bench in a mature manner and you had the cluster of bad shots, stagnant O, and poor communication D resulting in us imploding in the 2nd half of the year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Well we were playing almost exclusively freshman....when your entire team for the most part has to fight through the "freshman wall" you get what we got last year down the stretch. Plus if you compare Harper running things this year with last year you'd think it's a completely different person and he's our QB. We go as he goes. Combine that with everyone playing selfishly last year and it was one big learning experience while fighting through having a senior who was feeling pressure to "make it" in Dunans who apparently wasn't handling coming off the bench in a mature manner and you had the cluster of bad shots, stagnant O, and poor communication D resulting in us imploding in the 2nd half of the year.

I thought for sure Mitchell would have taken over the point guard minutes this year, until I saw Harper play, this entire team put in work this summer.  Free throws and defensive improvement as well.  Spencer shooting free throws from freshman year to this year is nothing short of amazing the work he has done.  They always say players have to buy into the system, this is why we are enjoying what we are seeing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I thought for sure Mitchell would have taken over the point guard minutes this year, until I saw Harper play, this entire team put in work this summer.  Free throws and defensive improvement as well.  Spencer shooting free throws from freshman year to this year is nothing short of amazing the work he has done.  They always say players have to buy into the system, this is why we are enjoying what we are seeing.

I know what you mean regarding PG play. I thought last year Harper was leaning wayyyy too far towards being a "shoot first" type of PG and as someone who watches basketball through a PG lens, that drove me up a wall last season. I'm glad we don't have to force Davion into the fire as a true freshman because he likely would've made mistakes in the same vein as Harper did last year. Luckily, for us both Chuma and Davion have been able to learn at their own pace rather than take on starter minutes and try to figure it out as they go in an unforgiving SEC.

Bruce could've went with Ronnie Johnson as the starter last year and we might have played our way to the NIT with him running the 1, but I doubt we would be seeing the success we are right now if Harper was getting Davion-type minutes this year. It hurt us in the short term but gave us an absolute monster boost long term.

And you are right, I never thought in a million years I'd see Horace hit 2 clutch FTs like he did in the TAMU game. His overall game has improved, he's always run the floor well but he had previously been out of control out there. It's awesome to see him keep his havoc-wreaking style of play while having much more body control -- he's not getting into foul trouble as early as he was last season.

Also, I agree the buy in was critical -- especially after the off-season fiasco, everything could have fallen apart in the worst way.

I could write basically a glowing blurb on every single one of our players this year (even Dunbar -- every team needs a guy like that) but I'm going to keep this post short lol

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now