Wiley and Purifoy

around4ever

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:23 PM, Mikey said:

You forgot the fourth, and most likely possibility: The Auburn U. Compliance Department. They can hold out any athlete at any time because of "suspicions". They and they alone put the two assistants on leave of absence. They are furious at Coach Pearl for following FBI instructions and not answering many of their questions. It's not beyond their capability to snatch the two assistants (without naming any cause) and sitting the two players just to make Pearl upset.

Nobody gains from that...

I prefer to think that everyone on the AU side is doing what they think is best for AU......and I'm thinking they also have far more information about the situation than most of us and therefore have reasons for doing what they are doing.    Far as I've seen there has not been a peep from either of the coaches or some attorney representing one or both of them declaring their innocence. 

In my view, AU's administrators are trying to cover the school's  backside against future penalties which someone probably thinks will be coming down the pike in the future......and guess I can't blame them for doing that.  

Meanwhile, the team has gelled nicely and I'm wondering what the effect of bringing these guys back part way through the season might be ?  

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Nobody gains from that...

I prefer to think that everyone on the AU side is doing what they think is best for AU......and I'm thinking they also have far more information about the situation than most of us and therefore have reasons for doing what they are doing.    Far as I've seen there has not been a peep from either of the coaches or some attorney representing one or both of them declaring their innocence. 

In my view, AU's administrators are trying to cover the school's  backside against future penalties which someone probably thinks will be coming down the pike in the future......and guess I can't blame them for doing that.  

Meanwhile, the team has gelled nicely and I'm wondering what the effect of bringing these guys back part way through the season might be ?  

i think this team would benefit from having wiley back....i think this team is BETTER with murray than purifoy....murray is all effort

On November 22, 2017 at 11:20 AM, tigerbrotha12 said:

Bryan Bowen was just ruled ineligible for play by Louisville. He will not play for Louisville ever again. 

Hope there is not a connection between that and our situation. Good news is the Ok St. player in question played the other night as he was ruled eligible by Oklahoma St. looks like this is so much of a case by case basis but I wish we'd get some clarity about what in the h*** is going on with our program. Somehow we are 3-1 and gaining some momentum. Let's beat Winthrop and get on a winning streak. Hopefully these guys will come back soon. 

From what I was told, Wiley has been cleared to be eligible immediately by everyone but Auburn's compliance department. IMO the reasons why compliance hasn't cleared him are unclear and vary depending on which side the info comes from. It seems, from my vantage point, that he's being used as a pawn in the fight between Leath/compliance/lawyers vs Bruce and staff. 

When I heard that info, I assumed Wiley would be reinstated fairly quickly by Auburn regardless of Bruce's situation, but that hasn't been the case. And it doesn't seem like it will happen until Bruce's situation is resolved. So there's no telling when he will be eligible to play. 

45 minutes ago, boomstick said:

From what I was told, Wiley has been cleared to be eligible immediately by everyone but Auburn's compliance department. IMO the reasons why compliance hasn't cleared him are unclear and vary depending on which side the info comes from. It seems, from my vantage point, that he's being used as a pawn in the fight between Leath/compliance/lawyers vs Bruce and staff. 

When I heard that info, I assumed Wiley would be reinstated fairly quickly by Auburn regardless of Bruce's situation, but that hasn't been the case. And it doesn't seem like it will happen until Bruce's situation is resolved. So there's no telling when he will be eligible to play. 

Interesting. I had heard that rumor but didn't know there were many legs behind it. I still am wondering, what in the world our compliance department sees that is so distorting to them... everyone else in the country seems to have figured out their issues....

7 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Interesting. I had heard that rumor but didn't know there were many legs behind it. I still am wondering, what in the world our compliance department sees that is so distorting to them... everyone else in the country seems to have figured out their issues....

I don't think they see anything necessarily, but I don't think they will do anything to help the basketball program until the coaches cooperate with them. I'm not sure why they're standing so firm on this, but they are. 

11 hours ago, boomstick said:

I don't think they see anything necessarily, but I don't think they will do anything to help the basketball program until the coaches cooperate with them. I'm not sure why they're standing so firm on this, but they are. 

The whole situation gets more embarrassing for the University as each day goes by where some sort of news is not released on the two. It just seems that this hurts the University much more than anything that could help it. If they're out, say they're out and dismiss them. If they're not, let em play. 

This can't be the same group of decision makers we used during the Cam fiasco.  The ink didn't dry on his suspension before he was back at practice.

This has gotten very frustrating. In fact, Purifoy has now taken to twitter expressing his frustration with the situation. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/DanjelKevon3/status/935299897309450240

Your move Auburn. You've handled this entire situation very poorly. You're embarrassing he University by not making a decision about these two young men and their futures 

Auburn forward Danjel Purifoy expressed frustration about the ongoing investigation that has left him and fellow teammate Austin Wiley sidelined indefinitely from games.

The redshirt sophomore took to Twitter not long after Auburn finished practicing Monday and said that he just wants to be "happy" doing what he loves but that the current situation is "taking the love away from me."

A fan responded to Purifoy's tweet asking for clarification, and the forward said it was in reference to "waiting to play."

"I've been through this before and I'm starting to feel mistreated," Purifoy responded from his account, @DanjelKevon3.

Auburn has decided to sit Purifoy and Wiley indefinitely as the university has yet to certify their eligibility stemming from the FBI investigation into former associated head coach Chuck Person.

Person was one of 10 people, including four assistant basketball coaches from across the country, who were arrested Sept. 26 as part of an FBI investigation into the criminal influence of money on college basketball. Person has since been indicted on six federal charges, including fraud, bribery and corruption, and faces a statutory maximum of 80 years in prison.

He is alleged to have accepted $91,500 in bribes over a 10-month span to use his influence to direct Purifoy and Wiley toward financial adviser Marty Blazer, a Pittsburgh-based adviser who turned cooperating witness for the FBI.

Person is alleged to have given $11,000 to Purifoy's mother and another $7,500 to Wiley's mother, Auburn legend Vickie Orr-Wiley. Person's co-defendant, Rashan Michel claimed to give another $5,000 to Orr-Wiley as part of the plot.

This is the second time Purifoy has been sidelined since arriving at Auburn. He redshirted during the 2015-16 season amid questions stemming from his ACT score, which was brought into question by the ACT Testing Center and resulted in a drawn-out process surrounding his eligibility.

Auburn plays Dayton on Wednesday, with the team leaving for Ohio on Tuesday, and Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said as of the end of Monday's practice there is "no change" to the status of either Purifoy or Wiley.

When asked after practice if either Purifoy or Wiley expressed doubts about their futures, Pearl said "they are staying right and they are staying ready."

"I actually think they are way more informed about the process than even I am in the sense that they know what's taking place in that process to certify their eligibility," Pearl said. "So they know -- I think they feel like we're getting closer to it being completed, but it's not done yet. They just try to stay right and stay ready. Does it present its challenges to get the team ready for with and without them? Sure, it is. We talk openly with our players about what's going to happen when one or both of them come back or don't come back, and so, you know, we are getting through it."

13 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Auburn forward Danjel Purifoy expressed frustration about the ongoing investigation that has left him and fellow teammate Austin Wiley sidelined indefinitely from games.

The redshirt sophomore took to Twitter not long after Auburn finished practicing Monday and said that he just wants to be "happy" doing what he loves but that the current situation is "taking the love away from me."

A fan responded to Purifoy's tweet asking for clarification, and the forward said it was in reference to "waiting to play."

"I've been through this before and I'm starting to feel mistreated," Purifoy responded from his account, @DanjelKevon3.

Auburn has decided to sit Purifoy and Wiley indefinitely as the university has yet to certify their eligibility stemming from the FBI investigation into former associated head coach Chuck Person.

Person was one of 10 people, including four assistant basketball coaches from across the country, who were arrested Sept. 26 as part of an FBI investigation into the criminal influence of money on college basketball. Person has since been indicted on six federal charges, including fraud, bribery and corruption, and faces a statutory maximum of 80 years in prison.

He is alleged to have accepted $91,500 in bribes over a 10-month span to use his influence to direct Purifoy and Wiley toward financial adviser Marty Blazer, a Pittsburgh-based adviser who turned cooperating witness for the FBI.

Person is alleged to have given $11,000 to Purifoy's mother and another $7,500 to Wiley's mother, Auburn legend Vickie Orr-Wiley. Person's co-defendant, Rashan Michel claimed to give another $5,000 to Orr-Wiley as part of the plot.

This is the second time Purifoy has been sidelined since arriving at Auburn. He redshirted during the 2015-16 season amid questions stemming from his ACT score, which was brought into question by the ACT Testing Center and resulted in a drawn-out process surrounding his eligibility.

Auburn plays Dayton on Wednesday, with the team leaving for Ohio on Tuesday, and Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said as of the end of Monday's practice there is "no change" to the status of either Purifoy or Wiley.

When asked after practice if either Purifoy or Wiley expressed doubts about their futures, Pearl said "they are staying right and they are staying ready."

"I actually think they are way more informed about the process than even I am in the sense that they know what's taking place in that process to certify their eligibility," Pearl said. "So they know -- I think they feel like we're getting closer to it being completed, but it's not done yet. They just try to stay right and stay ready. Does it present its challenges to get the team ready for with and without them? Sure, it is. We talk openly with our players about what's going to happen when one or both of them come back or don't come back, and so, you know, we are getting through it."

Wow.  I'm sorry to hear about your frustration.

But, who's Mom took that money?

I'm hoping all works out.

I'm amazed you're still on the team.

Understand, but there was not a smoking rifleman gun in that situation....aka Person....with an FBI arrest with a clear trail of money movement.  Big reason to slam on the brakes.

10 hours ago, AUDevil said:

This can't be the same group of decision makers we used during the Cam fiasco.  The ink didn't dry on his suspension before he was back at practice.

9 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

This has gotten very frustrating. In fact, Purifoy has now taken to twitter expressing his frustration with the situation. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/DanjelKevon3/status/935299897309450240

Your move Auburn. You've handled this entire situation very poorly. You're embarrassing he University by not making a decision about these two young men and their futures 

I don't think Auburn has done anything but toe the line here. If they play these two and something comes down from the NCAA the team is damaged even more. It's not Auburn's fault that a former coach and the players family took money from an outside source to steer them towards an agency.

I’m no expert but here are a few thoughts. First this isn’t your run of the mill type problem. I cannot remember seeing an investigation by the FBI into college sports like this before. So with that thought please try to understand all of our folks are on strange territory and are having to feel their way through this. I know it looks like a cluster but I really believe they are all doing their best for those involved. Second this is NOT an NCAA investigation and won’t be until the FBI is done. The NCAA is staying way far away because they don’t want to get caught in the FBI flytrap. The steps being taken right now by AU are for the protection of the student-atheletes involved. It is to ensure that they are not placed in jeopardy towards a future charge. I can promise you that AU is not concerned with winning ballgames at the moment, but instead they are trying their best to navigate this minefield without inflicting further damage on these young men , their families or the University. I would hope all the Auburn family would just stay strong and supportive until there is a suitable resolution accomplished. I think Coach Pearl is doing his best to continue as normal as he can. He has secured legal council as anyone involved in a situation like this would. He is following the advise of his council like anyone should. So let’s just be patient and respect the process to work through. I think in the end AU and the players as well as Coach Pearl will come through fine. War Eagle

9 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I’m no expert but here are a few thoughts. First this isn’t your run of the mill type problem. I cannot remember seeing an investigation by the FBI into college sports like this before. So with that thought please try to understand all of our folks are on strange territory and are having to feel their way through this. I know it looks like a cluster but I really believe they are all doing their best for those involved. Second this is NOT an NCAA investigation and won’t be until the FBI is done. The NCAA is staying way far away because they don’t want to get caught in the FBI flytrap. The steps being taken right now by AU are for the protection of the student-atheletes involved. It is to ensure that they are not placed in jeopardy towards a future charge. I can promise you that AU is not concerned with winning ballgames at the moment, but instead they are trying their best to navigate this minefield without inflicting further damage on these young men , their families or the University. I would hope all the Auburn family would just stay strong and supportive until there is a suitable resolution accomplished. I think Coach Pearl is doing his best to continue as normal as he can. He has secured legal council as anyone involved in a situation like this would. He is following the advise of his council like anyone should. So let’s just be patient and respect the process to work through. I think in the end AU and the players as well as Coach Pearl will come through fine. War Eagle

Fantastic post!

Coaches and players come and go, AUBURN is here to stay and must be protected first and foremost in a case where the FBI has been secretly neck deep in our program for years.

49 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Good post...but why is Leath making this so public and insinuating that there is some sort of disagreement or feud?  Why isn't he just saying "no comment"?

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Good post...but why is Leath making this so public and insinuating that there is some sort of disagreement or feud?  Why isn't he just saying "no comment"?

I'm not sure either, however, i can only speculate that Leath, like so many other college presidents, is political in nature and is looking at this through the lens of what makes him look like he is in charge and handling things. JMHO :dunno:

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Great question.....Obviously Leath is way more involved and in tune with athletics that his predecessor. 

I know next to nothing about the man, but he appears to be a take action sort of person.  He expects his employees to do their job and fully cooperate with their employer. 

He walked into a damn hornets nest with Auburn athletics almost the minute he punched his time card.  He immediately retained the best law firm available to investigate the shartstorm that is AU Athletics, resulting in the departure of Jay Jacobs. 

The man wants to get to the source and obtain all information so that Auburn will be protected and AU athletics can find a way to dig out of the latrine multiple sports are currently wading through. 

If he steps on toes, pisses off boosters or fans.....if coaches, asst coaches or student-athletes feel mistreated or misinformed in the process of seeking the truth and protecting Auburn, then so be it.  

I am glad people are looking out for the university but last weeks emails from Leath and frankie’s Lawyer saying they don’t know why Frankie was suspended ... plus if this is true that Wiley is only being held out by our compliance guys after this dang long?

only guess I have is AU is using Wiley as a pawn against Bruce.  Bruce doesn’t want to be punished by the fbi for talking (I assume).  There has to be a solution.  This sounds incredibly petty, who’s Johnson is bigger, kind of stuff.

AU - you guys give your list of questions to Bruce’s lawyer.

bruces lawyer - you go ask the fbi if you can answer those questions.

seems straight forward.  By the way, don’t you think if Bruce had done something wrong related to the person thing, then he’d have been indicted?

so logic would say that compliance is worried about a future NCAA concern.  I applauded the diligence during Cam’s stuff.  I can’t help but feel like this is a university power play and very little more - they’ve simply wrapped it in NCAA paper.

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I'm sure there are people in the AD that are working diligently to try to resolve this. My question is: why has everyone else solved their problems? Louisville, NC, Oklahoma State, Alabama- all of these teams have found resolutions and their players have been either reinstated or told they are ineligible. My question is: what is taking Auburn so long? I'm quite frustrated with the whole situation and feel as if some higher ups are not doing a very good job in comparison with the rest of the country 

22 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'm sure there are people in the AD that are working diligently to try to resolve this. My question is: why has everyone else solved their problems? Louisville, NC, Oklahoma State, Alabama- all of these teams have found resolutions and their players have been either reinstated or told they are ineligible. My question is: what is taking Auburn so long? I'm quite frustrated with the whole situation and feel as if some higher ups are not doing a very good job in comparison with the rest of the country 

Well, we all know we have a super charged, zealous Compliance Dept and they basically calls the shots where eligibility is concerned. 

"If" the AU in-house investigators Lightfoot/Franklin, the AU President, and AU Head of Compliance find it disturbing that an employee is reluctant to fully cooperate in an investigation that was initiated to protect and potentially defend  Auburn, and as a result the internal investigation has hit a brick wall then there's no option but to wait it out until one or the other relents.  I honestly don't see the Auburn Administration backing down. 

At the end of the day, "Auburn" is more important than a couple of basketball coaches.

Every case seems to be different..coaches have been fired, players did not show up and so forth. Sounds like CP acted both greedy and dumb and AU is in deeper than some other schools.  

A couple of really good posts above lay out the AU situation quite well and the priorities of the administration....which is AU.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Well, we all know we have a super charged, zealous Compliance Dept and they basically calls the shots where eligibility is concerned. 

"If" the AU in-house investigators Lightfoot/Franklin, the AU President, and AU Head of Compliance find it disturbing that an employee is reluctant to fully cooperate in an investigation that was initiated to protect and potentially defend  Auburn, and as a result the internal investigation has hit a brick wall then there's no option but to wait it out until one or the other relents.  I honestly don't see the Auburn Administration backing down. 

At the end of the day, "Auburn" is more important than a couple of basketball coaches.

I certainly understand the priority being the university itself. I'm saying, however, that if all that is stopping these guys from playing is a power move from the compliance department and Leath with the purpose of "showing Bruce who is in charge around here," then it is immature and wrong to keep these kids out due to that reason. I don't think that is insinuating they are trying to corrupt the University or not make sure that the University is doing what is right. I'm saying it is childish and wrong to hold these guys out just to show authority over coaches. 

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Listen Leath is like everyone lose. This is new to them. There not sure how to proceed so they make some mistakes. The two have talked since. Picture of them talking during the unveiling. CP has stated that Leath is doing a good job. To tell you the truth I’m sure wishes he could delete the email that brought the discussion. You have heard CP tell you he is getting little info. There is nothing to pass on to Leath. Leath is also getting little info. No unusual for FBI and DOJ to keep things in wraps till they have checked out everything. So everyone including fans and boosters are frustrated. Problem is no one can do anything about it till the feds do their job. This is just my take and nothing else. I don’t think anything else will come of it. I think that Person will plead a deal and avoid jail. NCAA will ban him forever. Nothing for AU at all. Only question right now is the two players and whether they could be charged by the NCAA for associating with an agent. Since this thing is so big and spread out in NCAA basketball, most likely the NCAA will want to end it quickly. So they will not charge any teams or players and just move on. Again this is just my feeling on it at this point unless something else shows up.

9 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I certainly understand the priority being the university itself. I'm saying, however, that if all that is stopping these guys from playing is a power move from the compliance department and Leath with the purpose of "showing Bruce who is in charge around here," then it is immature and wrong to keep these kids out due to that reason. I don't think that is insinuating they are trying to corrupt the University or not make sure that the University is doing what is right. I'm saying it is childish and wrong to hold these guys out just to show authority over coaches. 

I don’t think that is it at all. They have no reason to be mad at Bruce and they are not. This is just about caution in new territory.

Everyone keep asking about other schools. I don’t know all the facts of what the FBI has at this point. It has hit other coaches but I haven’t seen where any other players family got money. So we may have problems with players that other teams don’t. I think this FBI thing was against The shoe companies mainly and the sports agents and coaches they were using. The players and their families were never the FBI targets. In fact from most of what I’ve read the consider the players the victims in this affair. That is why I think at the end of the day AU and our two players will be ok.

Archived