Wiley and Purifoy

around4ever

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/11/2017 at 8:45 AM, gravejd said:

Hope Santa brings us an eligible Wiley for Christmas! Pretty please??

Is he officially ineligible?  I mean who the hell is sitting these players right now, the FBI?  

11 minutes ago, keesler said:

Is he officially ineligible?  I mean who the hell is sitting these players right now, the FBI?  

The hell if i know who is holding him out but i know he isn't playing. I want him playing.... my guess is the school is holding them out as a just in case something comes down from the NCAA later. 

45 minutes ago, gravejd said:

The hell if i know who is holding him out but i know he isn't playing. I want him playing.... my guess is the school is holding them out as a just in case something comes down from the NCAA later. 

This whole thing is irritating as hell.  

28 minutes ago, keesler said:

This whole thing is irritating as hell.  

True.....the crickets from AU is what's irritating.   If someone just said what to expect then we could just move along.  I'm hoping BP knows more than we do about when/ if to expect them back so he can plan accordingly.

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True.....the crickets from AU is what's irritating.   If someone just said what to expect then we could just move along.  I'm hoping BP knows more than we do about when/ if to expect them back so he can plan accordingly.

It is confusing, the way it is being handled. I would think the players have some hope of getting to play or they wouldn't be practicing and sitting on the bench. Instead, they would be off training for the draft in some way. Likewise, CBP wouldn't spend time keeping them plugged in if he didn't have some hope they would be back. I'd assume the administration is still waiting for some piece of information they don't have yet. No idea what it is, but I can't believe they are just waiting on making a decision for no reason. 

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

It is confusing, the way it is being handled. I would think the players have some hope of getting to play or they wouldn't be practicing and sitting on the bench. Instead, they would be off training for the draft in some way. Likewise, CBP wouldn't spend time keeping them plugged in if he didn't have some hope they would be back. I'd assume the administration is still waiting for some piece of information they don't have yet. No idea what it is, but I can't believe they are just waiting on making a decision for no reason. 

Is it possible AU has a fed insider that is giving them a "hold on, we'll be done processing all your information by Dec. 29th, but don't say I said that" type message? Just grasping at straws...

Bruce knows what he knows, and he knows that he doesn't know what he doesn't know. Therefore, it doesn't stand to reason that he believes he will personally be implicated of any criminal or NCAA wrongdoing with the information that the feds (or NCAA or Lightsaber Franklin and Fudge or whomever) now possess and are combing through. So, if Bruce knows he has done nothing wrong, then he knows there is no legit evidence implicating him of wrongdoing, so he is fine. Of course, he doesn't know about what all exists on Chuck's old laptop or the towel boy's iPhone. As has been mentioned in this thread, it would make no sense for BP to still be the coach if he knew he were implicated of wrongdoing that has yet to surface, or for AW and DP to still be practicing and being at games and doing college things (going to classes, maybe lol) if there were really slim to no hope of them playing either this season or ever again at AU. My brand of common sense seems to point to a pre-New Year resolution (haha see what I did there, completely a genius accident) to this matter, one way or the other. 

4 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

It is confusing, the way it is being handled. I would think the players have some hope of getting to play or they wouldn't be practicing and sitting on the bench. Instead, they would be off training for the draft in some way.

Great point. The players are the ones hurting the most from this. It's been weeks, give them some direction about their future, don't leave them hanging.

1 hour ago, TigerFanAU said:

Great point. The players are the ones hurting the most from this. It's been weeks, give them some direction about their future, don't leave them hanging.

Well they are college students too.....?      or have we given up on the idea that either one of them is busting it to get his Auburn degree?  

On 12/12/2017 at 11:05 AM, JwgreDeux said:

Here's how I see it. The FBI is investigating a crime. When they do that, ANY information that they pass on, which often isn't much, is shared under strict confidentiality, punishable by imprisonment, so Auburn, Bruce, etc aren't going to do any talking, even if they have something to share.

Part of that investigation is similar to the Cam situation. The question paramount to us is who, if anyone, took money, and was the player aware of any monetary transactions? At this point, it appears that the FBI hasn't shared their findings on that front with AU. At the same time, we want to keep Wiley and Purifoy on the team, so we are allowing them the full level of access permitted by the NCAA without risking penalty after the fact, until we are certain that they didn't violate the rules. When the FBI gets around to telling us the full story, or at least that part, the call will be immediately made to either let them play or send them packing. It appears, however, that the FBI feels that information is important to their case, so they aren't sharing, because if Wiley and Purifoy start playing, then everyone knows their findings.

So, if you want to be upset, you can be upset with the FBI, but also understand that this is one of A LOT of cases they are working on related to the corruption in basketball, so they aren't going to fast track the Person case just so our guys can play. Who you should really be upset with is Person and anyone who actually took money from him.

At the end of the day- Wiley and Purifoy are not bigger than Auburn. If they can't play because they are indelible, then it's in our best interest not to play them. I don't see what's so hard to understand there.

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

At the end of the day- Wiley and Purifoy are not bigger than Auburn. If they can't play because they are indelible, then it's in our best interest not to play them. I don't see what's so hard to understand there.

Exactly.  If someone in their immediate camps hadn't done something wrong, or at least considered it, they wouldn't be sitting. They have no one to blame but themselves or their families.

3 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

If they don’t play because they are indelible, I’ll still always remember them, lol

1 minute ago, tigeraddikt said:

How will AU history remember Austin Wiley if he never plays another minute of basketball for AU, but goes on to have a great NBA career?

Missed Opportunity....

I have to see I've quit worrying about them now.....what will happen will happen.....but I sure hope Heron is able to play soon....team is playing good ball together with him as a leader....but at this point he's a guy we really miss. 

• 2 weeks later...

This topic seems to have stalled, so I'm giving a bump. We are a really good team, but we are tiny and SEC play isn't going to be kind to that. Getting Wiley back could be the difference between a deep tournament run, and not making it. Any news?

The NCAA Eligibility Center is on Christmas break and will return Jan 2. Hopefully, a decision is made that day on Wiley. I fear, though, that we won't see him again in an Auburn uniform. Same for Purifoy. I'm encouraged by their willingness to continue to practice with the team and support their teammates from the bench, but at some point, it seems there has to be a yes or no to give some finality to this saga. The beginning of January and the start of SEC play seems like the best time for it.

I’m just pissed uat was able to get Sexton cleared after one game. You will never convince me they don’t have a ton of favor with the NCAA. 

Archived