Wiley and Purifoy

around4ever

3 hours ago, boomstick said:

The NCAA Eligibility Center is on Christmas break and will return Jan 2. Hopefully, a decision is made that day on Wiley. I fear, though, that we won't see him again in an Auburn uniform. Same for Purifoy. I'm encouraged by their willingness to continue to practice with the team and support their teammates from the bench, but at some point, it seems there has to be a yes or no to give some finality to this saga. The beginning of January and the start of SEC play seems like the best time for it.

Not an NCAA issue I thought- has to do only with AU compliance dept.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Not an NCAA issue I thought- has to do only with AU compliance dept.

From what I understand, it’s an NCAA eligibility issue. Whether or not they accepted an extra benefit. 

13 hours ago, boomstick said:

From what I understand, it’s an NCAA eligibility issue. Whether or not they accepted an extra benefit. 

Here is where I may have been confused, haven't spoken to anyone for awhile, been busy.   My understanding was that our compliance dept hast to turn things over to the NCAA and then they rule, hence how Sexton got his situation taken care of so quickly.  Similar how to schools self report secondary violations every year in one big report

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Here is where I may have been confused, haven't spoken to anyone for awhile, been busy.   My understanding was that our compliance dept hast to turn things over to the NCAA and then they rule, hence how Sexton got his situation taken care of so quickly.  Similar how to schools self report secondary violations every year in one big report

From what I understand, Auburn has appealed for reinstatement. The NCAA has had questions about the appeal, and Auburn has responded more than once to the additional questions from the NCAA. Since the last response, the person I talked to didn't believe the NCAA has come back and asked for additional info or clarification. It's been 2-3 weeks, which I think is a good sign. If they don't need additional info, I would think a decision could be made relatively soon. 

6 hours ago, boomstick said:

From what I understand, Auburn has appealed for reinstatement. The NCAA has had questions about the appeal, and Auburn has responded more than once to the additional questions from the NCAA. Since the last response, the person I talked to didn't believe the NCAA has come back and asked for additional info or clarification. It's been 2-3 weeks, which I think is a good sign. If they don't need additional info, I would think a decision could be made relatively soon. 

So the NCAA ruled the players ineligible causing Auburn to appeal for reinstatement?  

I'm so confused here.  I didn't know the NCAA was involved at all since the FBI still isn't done, I thought the players were ruled ineligible by Auburn Compliance and Auburn held the reigns on when these guys could take the court again.  I had no idea the NCAA was involved or that they'd obtained enough information to decisively sit these guys indefinitely.

5 hours ago, keesler said:

So the NCAA ruled the players ineligible causing Auburn to appeal for reinstatement?  

I'm so confused here.  I didn't know the NCAA was involved at all since the FBI still isn't done, I thought the players were ruled ineligible by Auburn Compliance and Auburn held the reigns on when these guys could take the court again.  I had no idea the NCAA was involved or that they'd obtained enough information to decisively sit these guys indefinitely.

That’s the way I understand it. Wiley and Purifoy are alleged to have violated NCAA rules, and Auburn compliance has held them out while trying to prove they did not violate said rules or, if rules were violated, trying to determine what, if any, steps can be taken for reinstatement. 

On 12/26/2017 at 8:07 PM, jared52 said:

I’m just pissed uat was able to get Sexton cleared after one game. You will never convince me they don’t have a ton of favor with the NCAA. 

This whole thing with Sexton SCrEAMs “favor with the NCAA”.  Bama’s director of basketball operations got canned because he was going down the same path that Person was.  He got $10k from the fbi informant.  He just wasn’t witnessed giving cash to sexton’s parents.  But he was mentioned in the Person investigation and the only reason they didn’t have money changing hands between the handler or coach and Sexton’s parents is the feds decided to break this case wide open right after Bama’s coach got money.  Funny how the timing of the investigation being made public let Bama off the hook.  It’s almost as if it was by design.   Why else would they take things public when they did?  Can’t have such a storied institution like Bama getting pulled into this mess, now can we??  Perhaps I’m being a little “tinfoil hat”, but the timing of all this seems awful fortuitous for Bama.  Almost like they have a horseshoe in their pocket.  Or some high level NCAA types...

Here's how it worked in the Cam Newton case: AU declared Cam ineligible and then applied to the NCAA for reinstatement, which happened in one day.

In the current situation, AU has declared the players ineligible and the NCAA has been asking for more info. Thus, this process is gong much slower than did Cam's. Perhaps because in this case, unlike Cam's, money did actually change hands.

That's how I see it.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Here's how it worked in the Cam Newton case: AU declared Cam ineligible and then applied to the NCAA for reinstatement, which happened in one day.

In the current situation, AU has declared the players ineligible and the NCAA has been asking for more info. Thus, this process is gong much slower than did Cam's. Perhaps because in this case, unlike Cam's, money did actually change hands.

That's how I see it.

And NCAA handling of cases where family or mentors were involved with the money has changed too.   ..referred to by some as the "Cam Newton Rule".

Under NCAA Bylaw 12, the rule now states that:

" ... an agent is any individual who, directly or indirectly, represents or attempts to represent an individual for the purpose of marketing his or her athletics ability or reputation for financial gain ..."

12 hours ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

This whole thing with Sexton SCrEAMs “favor with the NCAA”.  Bama’s director of basketball operations got canned because he was going down the same path that Person was.  He got $10k from the fbi informant.  He just wasn’t witnessed giving cash to sexton’s parents.  But he was mentioned in the Person investigation and the only reason they didn’t have money changing hands between the handler or coach and Sexton’s parents is the feds decided to break this case wide open right after Bama’s coach got money.  Funny how the timing of the investigation being made public let Bama off the hook.  It’s almost as if it was by design.   Why else would they take things public when they did?  Can’t have such a storied institution like Bama getting pulled into this mess, now can we??  Perhaps I’m being a little “tinfoil hat”, but the timing of all this seems awful fortuitous for Bama.  Almost like they have a horseshoe in their pocket.  Or some high level NCAA types...

Something fishy going on with the dang Feds ~ this thing stinks to high heaven.  

The timing of the Feds breaking the case and making it public, Sexton getting only a one game suspension and the NCAA cleared him almost faster than they cleared Cam Newton back in 2010.  

Did any other basketball program gain from this timing advantage the way uat did?  Possible South Carolina.   (Certainly NOT Louisville - they got hammered)

On 12/27/2017 at 11:05 PM, Mikey said:

That's how I see it.

I agree, except I'll add that I don't think the ncaa is going to get the info they want until the fbi puts their case to bed. I think that's what is dragging our situation out. The info the ncaa wants is evidence in a ongoing federal investigation, locking it up for the time being.

On 12/28/2017 at 12:05 AM, Mikey said:

Perhaps because in this case, unlike Cam's, money did actually change hands.

Tell that to everyone in Georgia.  One way to really get me mad is to call the guy sCam Newton.  Fans like that are the reason why I do not cheer for a single team in Georgia, despite living here for 23 years.  Nothing but cocky, bandwagon fans in this state.  And NOTHING to show for it.  So far this year my teams are 3-1 against Georgia teams, and after this weekend I hope it is 4-1.

On 12/27/2017 at 3:24 PM, keesler said:

The school has to declare a player ineligible then apply to NCAA for reinstatement. 

4 minutes ago, MDM4AU said:

The school has to declare a player ineligible then apply to NCAA for reinstatement. 

Thank you for the clarification.

Now it makes sense why the NCAA has questions about the appeal for reinstatement.  I doubt Auburn Compliance has been able to obtain all of the information in the case to help support their case for reinstatement.  Since Bruce has been muzzled by his attorney's due to the on going FBI investigation, the NCAA has to put it on hold.

It just sucks to see two of our guys benched this long.

29 minutes ago, keesler said:

Thank you for the clarification.

Now it makes sense why the NCAA has questions about the appeal for reinstatement.  I doubt Auburn Compliance has been able to obtain all of the information in the case to help support their case for reinstatement.  Since Bruce has been muzzled by his attorney's due to the on going FBI investigation, the NCAA has to put it on hold.

It just sucks to see two of our guys benched this long.

JMO but we might be caught under the terms of Bylaw 12 as quoted above....and the issue could be, how much penalty to apply.   AU has levied a pretty stiff penalty thus far and I guess it's possible the NCAA could decide that those games are sufficient.....and I'm betting that's the way AU is presenting this.  

I can't see the FBI having a role in this any longer.....CP was their person of interest along with the co-conspirators....they got those guys.    Can't see why they would  care one way or the other about the parents and students who were named.  

20 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but we might be caught under the terms of Bylaw 12 as quoted above....and the issue could be, how much penalty to apply.   AU has levied a pretty stiff penalty thus far and I guess it's possible the NCAA could decide that those games are sufficient.....and I'm betting that's the way AU is presenting this.  

I can't see the FBI having a role in this any longer.....CP was their person of interest along with the co-conspirators....they got those guys.    Can't see why they would  care one way or the other about the parents and students who were named.  

I agree, the FBI doesn't give one fig about the student-athletes or their parents, they nabbed the folks they wanted. 

My point was that the NCAA may be asking for specific dates, times, and details of Persons interaction with the parents & players and the on-going FBI investigation may not allow Auburn/Bruce, etc. to offer the NCAA the information they want.  

The NCAA will want very specific details about the coaching staff, the student-athletes, the parents, etc...... that detailed information may not be available at this time, if the FBI has this case on lock-down.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

I agree, the FBI doesn't give one fig about the student-athletes or their parents, they nabbed the folks they wanted. 

My point was that the NCAA may be asking for specific dates, times, and details of Persons interaction with the parents & players and the on-going FBI investigation may not allow Auburn/Bruce, etc. to offer the NCAA the information they want.  

The NCAA will want very specific details about the coaching staff, the student-athletes, the parents, etc...... that detailed information may not be available at this time, if the FBI has this case on lock-down.

I guess it's possible that the NCAA is waiting on an actual conviction of CP.....only been indicted thus far so technically I guess he is still innocent.   If the NCAA is waiting on that, these guys could be twisting in the wind for a year or more.       

I recall back in the Cam days when Chiz was very assertive about getting Cams' status dealt with.   Whatever you feel about Chiz, you have to admire his guts in calling out the NCAA and not letting them drag it out forever.....and he pretty much forced them to make a statement of innocence for Cam. ..something they rarely if ever do.

It would be nice if someone could do that now....but I think this is more complicated and nobody at AU is in a good position to challenge the NCAA in the same way.

He’s gotta be quite frustrated to say the least.  I imagine getting outta Dodge and going to make some $ must be quite intriguing right about now. 

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

What does that mean ?

What’s best for him is to be playing basketball so I presume he’s going somewhere to play basketball.

12 hours ago, around4ever said:

He should get an agent and sign with a European team for the rest of the season and enter NBA draft in 2018. 

agree....could do this easily enough and would beat waiting to see what the NCAA might do...and when it might do it.     

With NCAA we don't know their motives......whether they are working hard to clear a guy....or find him ineligible .....and where this "case" stands in their priorities.  And coming back mid season or whatever, it's hard to anticipate how he might fit into the team now that it seems to have developed chemistry with the guys who have played nearly half of the season together.

PS...I feel sorry for DP....was skeptical about him from day one, not his talent, just the situation but it's sad that he has been victimized by two of the people he probably trusted the most.....should have been looking out for his well-being and instead put him in harms way because of their greed. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

agree....could do this easily enough and would beat waiting to see what the NCAA might do...and when it might do it.     

With NCAA we don't know their motives......whether they are working hard to clear a guy....or find him ineligible .....and where this "case" stands in their priorities.  And coming back mid season or whatever, it's hard to anticipate how he might fit into the team now that it seems to have developed chemistry with the guys who have played nearly half of the season together.

PS...I feel sorry for DP....was skeptical about him from day one, not his talent, just the situation but it's sad that he has been victimized by two of the people he probably trusted the most.....should have been looking out for his well-being and instead put him in harms way because of their greed. 

DP has been up and down with us in so many ways. Sitting out, injuries, and now this investigation.

He is already 22 years old, so I think he has to just get the heck out and go play BB somewhere else(maybe overseas), and just play and hope to get noticed by the NBA teams...

Wiley needs to stay and develop a little more.. and ofc he is still very young...

Archived