Wiley and Purifoy

around4ever

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

DP has been up and down with us in so many ways. Sitting out, injuries, and now this investigation.

He is already 22 years old, so I think he has to just get the heck out and go play BB somewhere else(maybe overseas), and just play and hope to get noticed by the NBA teams...

Wiley needs to stay and develop a little more.. and ofc he is still very young...

He's 22??? wasn't he in high school 2 years ago?

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Hes a redshirt Soph. Graduated HS three years ago. 

Plus he did not have a very traditional HS career....moved around a bit. 

From al.wrong article posted a half hour ago:

Auburn is still in the process of trying to certify the eligibility of star players Austin Wiley and Danjel Purifoy.

Coach Bruce Pearl said Thursday that there has not been a change in the status of either player ahead of Auburn's home matchup against Arkansas on Saturday at 5 p.m. Neither Wiley nor Purifoy have played in a game this season while being held out in connection to the FBI investigation into the criminal influence of money in college basketball, which resulted in the Sept. 26 arrest of former associate head coach Chuck Person.

"We're still in the process of trying to get Austin and Danjel eligible," Pearl said.

Auburn has yet to declare either player ineligible, according to Pearl, meaning it has yet to apply for their reinstatement with the NCAA. Both players continue to practice with the team to stay ready for if or when they are cleared to return, and both are enrolled in classes for the spring semester, which begins Wednesday.

Wait what?

Just go make some money in the short term and prep for the NBA, guys. Jerking these kids around and leaving them in limbo is all kinds of unfair. 

This is such a shame on so many levels. With the information available, and until Auburn makes some sort of public comment i will be utterly disappointed in their character. To not gove these guys a shot at either playing for Auburn or moving on, but holding them in a purgatory state is awful. I understand there were mistakes made by them and ghere families and thats part of the shame too, but this os just terrible for the institution to do this

1 minute ago, Auhud08 said:

This is such a shame on so many levels. With the information available, and until Auburn makes some sort of public comment i will be utterly disappointed in their character. To not gove these guys a shot at either playing for Auburn or moving on, but holding them in a purgatory state is awful. I understand there were mistakes made by them and ghere families and thats part of the shame too, but this os just terrible for the institution to do this

So why would Auburn do this?  Why would Auburn not do everything they can to get these kids back on the court legally.  That doesn't make sense to me.

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

So why would Auburn do this?  Why would Auburn not do everything they can to get these kids back on the court legally.  That doesn't make sense to me.

The only thing i can believe at this point is that its vengance agaisnt Bruce. Theyll hang there hat on “lack of info” due to it being an ongoing fbi inv. But i believe every other kid has been ruled upon 

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

That is what I had heard, that Auburn never had even filed it to the NCAA........

Yeah, I think I've misunderstood this situation. I thought they had been declared ineligible and Auburn's communication with the NCAA was to get reinstatement. It seems Auburn is holding them out not as an NCAA directive but a protective measure until they can determine if reinstatement is possible. 

9 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Yeah, I think I've misunderstood this situation. I thought they had been declared ineligible and Auburn's communication with the NCAA was to get reinstatement. It seems Auburn is holding them out not as an NCAA directive but a protective measure until they can determine if reinstatement is possible. 

Guess nobody knows for certain...could be that AU has had informal discussion with the NCAA to get a reading on the situation and is not encouraged.

THIS IS BULL SNOT!!  My head is about to pop off!  This team has played lights OUT without these guys on the court, but DANG it, let's move on this and make a decision.  Somebody poop or get off the pot!.  Hop to it.  ChopChop!  Time's a wastin'.  Hustle now.  I said GIT!  Let's do this! 

I was on the side of vengeance by the powers that be at first, but now I have moved to incompetence on the AU people handling this.  I’m having trouble understanding why they would be doing this to these 2 kids, for either reason.  Have the backbone to make a decision one way or the other and let these kids get on with their lives, either playing for Auburn or in seeking opportunities elsewhere.  What a mess these goobers in power have made of this…

Just now, au81bs said:

I was on the side of vengeance by the powers that be at first, but now I have moved to incompetence on the AU people handling this.  I’m having trouble understanding why they would be doing this to these 2 kids, for either reason.  Have the backbone to make a decision one way or the other and let these kids get on with their lives, either playing for Auburn or in seeking opportunities elsewhere.  What a mess these goobers in power have made of this…

My sentiments exactly. I would love to have them both but man at some point you gotta just tell em somethin

4 minutes ago, au81bs said:

But what is Auburn doing to the players in question besides working to have them reinstated, or figure out if that's a possibility? I don't think this is an Auburn issue. I think it's fairly complex and virtually unprecedented, and it's taking a lot of work to figure out how to proceed. I don't know why you'd make the decision to declare them ineligible when you're attempting to prove that shouldn't be the case. 

10 minutes ago, boomstick said:

But what is Auburn doing to the players in question besides working to have them reinstated, or figure out if that's a possibility? I don't think this is an Auburn issue. I think it's fairly complex and virtually unprecedented, and it's taking a lot of work to figure out how to proceed. I don't know why you'd make the decision to declare them ineligible when you're attempting to prove that shouldn't be the case. 

It’s seems that other schools have handled this differently and that’s what makes this an AU issue. We were in the same boat as several schools and yet we’ve not had the resolution others have seemed to be able to attain. I don’t have an answer for sure and definitely don’t know the ins and outs of the case, but I sure can empathize with most folks frustrations. 

So does all of this crap hurt either (particularly Wiley's) draft stock?  ie: Is there any chance that, if cleared, Wiley would stick around for another season?

I know that based on current circumstance the "if cleared" is a BIG IF, but....

7 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

It’s seems that other schools have handled this differently and that’s what makes this an AU issue. We were in the same boat as several schools and yet we’ve not had the resolution others have seemed to be able to attain. I don’t have an answer for sure and definitely don’t know the ins and outs of the case, but I sure can empathize with most folks frustrations. 

The only school that I know of that has made a definitive decision on its player's eligibility that is alleged to have been in the same situation as Wiley and Purifoy is USC, and they declared their player, De'Anthony Melton, ineligible. Oklahoma State's Jeffery Carroll was also suspended and has not had a decision made in either direction yet.

28 minutes ago, boomstick said:

The only school that I know of that has made a definitive decision on its player's eligibility that is alleged to have been in the same situation as Wiley and Purifoy is USC, and they declared their player, De'Anthony Melton, ineligible. Oklahoma State's Jeffery Carroll was also suspended and has not had a decision made in either direction yet.

Wasn't Bama's FR part of that as well and they declared him eligible and he has been playing all season.

5 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Wasn't Bama's FR part of that as well and they declared him eligible and he has been playing all season.

It’s a bit different. Sexton (really Sexton’s dad) was never alleged to have received payments to steer him to an agent/financial advisor. Kobie Baker, the Alabama staffer, is alleged to have received money to attempt to steer players to that agent. But I don’t believe there is any indication that he was going to pay Sexton or his father or that he had paid either. In both Wiley’s and Purifoy’s situations, Chuck is on record saying they were getting payments. And I believe Purifoy was present and on tape in one of the meetings where money was discussed. 

17 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

I can't help but think that Pearl has to be doing everything he can to get them on the court.

I am so confused. 

Who exactly is preventing them from playing?  When Pearl says he is working to get them eligible, working with whom?  Auburn's own lawyers?

If Auburn is not willing to accept a sworn statement they didn't accept money, then why not just cut them loose and dismiss them?  What's at risk? 

If they did accept money - or if they were in meetings where money was discussed - is there any hope they might someday become NCAA eligible in spite of that?   That seems to me the only reason to keep them on the team.

13 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I am so confused. 

Who exactly is preventing them from playing?  When Pearl says he is working to get them eligible, working with whom?  Auburn's own lawyers?

If Auburn is not willing to accept a sworn statement they didn't accept money, then why not just cut them loose and dismiss them?  What's at risk? 

If they did accept money - or if they were in meetings where money was discussed - is there any hope they might someday become NCAA eligible in spite of that?   That seems to me the only reason to keep them on the team.

Right now, Auburn has them suspended. They are working on providing info to the NCAA to see if the players can become eligible. If so, Auburn will go through the process of certification. 

The issue Auburn has with a sworn statement and presenting it to the NCAA as proof is the NCAA is using the FBI’s investigation as their proof that violations were committed. Person says he gave money to two families. It seems Auburn is having to prove that didn’t happen, which IMO seems nearly impossible. 

On the punishment, I don’t know. Based on previous cases, I think it’s possible to get these guys reinstated and playing if they pay the money back and sit out some games. But who do they pay back and how many games is enough?

Archived