2018 potential lineup speculation

The lineup for 2018 could be interesting.  I feel pitching will be strong and all our pitchers are capable of making contributions with Carlson and Martin being the starters.  I might put Harris at #3.  Catcher is not settled.  I would prefer to see Shea behind the plate and have Veach playing one corner and Snow the other corner.  Lets hope Tannon Snow will be 100% by spring.  Other than Veach, it seemed Tissier got the most back up work behind the plate.  We have good back up at corners with Perry and McCrackin.  I have not seen McCrackin make the throw from 3rd to 1st but I have seen some good fielding on her part.  Also feel hitting is improved.  She seems like such a team player…really like her.  At second I gave the nod to KK Crocker.  Dowell is not far behind.  Both are pretty good with the bat.  Left field Podany.  Status of Greenwood unfortunately undetermined due to injury.  We have not seen Schiele but she was very highly touted out of high school and could be a factor.  Draper in Center with Fornis as backup.  Rivera of course in right field.  Olszewski and Maresette are other options as backups.  I wonder if a couple of players might seek playing time on another team.  Thoughts anyone?

I expect to see some transfers at semester.  Competition is gonna be tough at almost every position.  I think this is by far the most talented and deep team ever to play at Auburn

Crepea posted an article today regarding injury status at http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/11/3_auburn_softball_players_reco.html#incart_river_index

Veach tore a meniscus and had surgery this week.  It's seen as a 4-week recovery.  Greenwood has an apparent separated shoulder.  Schiele is still mending, but was able to throw for the first time today.  Snow has good days when she can play, and others when she can't. Hers seems to be the most troubling condition, as it hasn't ended after 8 months or so.  Wish her (and all of them) the best.

From reports, Crocker has improved her hitting, and I think she is the favorite at second.  Expect Shea to catch with Veach as backup.  Need two catchers for doubleheaders.  I expect Veach to play third when she isn't catching.  When she is, Snow or McCrackin have the edge there.  I keep trying to find a place for McCrackin because I think her hitting is ramping up.

It may be that nobody locks down second, third and left, as we have several capable players at those positions.  Expect to see some experimentation at those positions well into (and maybe all during) the season.  Second and left never got settled last year.  And just to throw one out there, look for Olszweski to be better than expected.

I only caught the last two games of fall, so limited data to form an opinion and it is just that, my opinion.

Catcher - Shea, some back-up by Veach or Tissier (depending on opponent and builder her for next year).  My only concern for Shea is arm strength throwing to 2nd; didn't have it last year like Wallace.  Don't know aobut Tissier or Veach as have not seen them throw from catcher.

1st - Snow or Veach pending health; Perry will be 3rd option

2nd - Crocker; her defense seems okay (not a Carosone yet) but her bat seemed to improve with a combo of some power, some slap and some placement hitting; her bat gets her in the line-up

ss - Taylon Snow (although I did not see her play) with back up by McCrackin

3rd - Veach or Snow (pending health)

LF - Podany will start early season, based on seniority, but soon replaced by Olszweski or Greenwood (if healthy)

CF - Draper; back up will be Fornis

RF - Riveria

Any of the above not on defense could be used in DP role and hit.

Still a good bench with Nutt, Dowell and a few others not already named getting some action in early games to settle the line-up for conference play.

Just one fan's thoughts...

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:29 PM, OlderWhiskey said:

Crepea posted an article today regarding injury status at http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/11/3_auburn_softball_players_reco.html#incart_river_index

Veach tore a meniscus and had surgery this week.  It's seen as a 4-week recovery.  Greenwood has an apparent separated shoulder.  Schiele is still mending, but was able to throw for the first time today.  Snow has good days when she can play, and others when she can't. Hers seems to be the most troubling condition, as it hasn't ended after 8 months or so.  Wish her (and all of them) the best.

From reports, Crocker has improved her hitting, and I think she is the favorite at second.  Expect Shea to catch with Veach as backup.  Need two catchers for doubleheaders.  I expect Veach to play third when she isn't catching.  When she is, Snow or McCrackin have the edge there.  I keep trying to find a place for McCrackin because I think her hitting is ramping up.

It may be that nobody locks down second, third and left, as we have several capable players at those positions.  Expect to see some experimentation at those positions well into (and maybe all during) the season.  Second and left never got settled last year.  And just to throw one out there, look for Olszweski to be better than expected.

I am very concerned for Tannon Snow.  Out last year and seen very sparingly this fall.  I would like to see her play but most of all I would like to see her healthy.  I have the same feeling about Olszewski.  May not be an instant starter but may be a contributor. I believe Schiele was a near equal to Taylon Snow in terms of skill at her outfield position as well as being a threat at the plate and on the bases.  I wonder if we have a couple transfer (maybe Gutierrez and Nutt).  Also could there be someone to transfer in at this late date who might shore up catcher position.  Let me mention here that if you have not seen the recent video of Bree Fornis in the weight room take a look.  It is linked off the Auburn Athletics site -softball-twitter.  So funny to watch how excited the rest of the team was cheering her on and their response when she completed the lift.....especially Victoria Draper. 

Obviously transfers can happen at any time, but I would be surprised if anybody left at this point. Seems if they were going to leave it would have been at the coaching change.  I can't imagine 8-10 games that don't count would determine whether a player transfers or not.     I also see this as an extremely pessimistic perspective to automatically assume anybody will leave.    This team is loaded with talent from the head coach down to every player.  This is going to be a fun ride with Mickey Dean in charge.    Let's worry about transfers IF they actually happen.

9 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Obviously transfers can happen at any time, but I would be surprised if anybody left at this point. Seems if they were going to leave it would have been at the coaching change.  I can't imagine 8-10 games that don't count would determine whether a player transfers or not.     I also see this as an extremely pessimistic perspective to automatically assume anybody will leave.    This team is loaded with talent from the head coach down to every player.  This is going to be a fun ride with Mickey Dean in charge.    Let's worry about transfers IF they actually happen.

Thanks....maybe it is a sign of the progression of the program but seems that female athletes are not as likely to jump ship if they don't start....maybe fewer options out there but as you note....seems mighty early for a player to decide she is not going to have an active role on the team and go elsewhere.  

39 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks....maybe it is a sign of the progression of the program but seems that female athletes are not as likely to jump ship if they don't start....maybe fewer options out there but as you note....seems mighty early for a player to decide she is not going to have an active role on the team and go elsewhere.  

41 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Looks to me that the ladies are probably a little more mature and realistic about how playing softball at Auburn and the education they receive will impact their lives in the future.  Contrast that to the decisions that some of the male athletes on our major sports teams (football and basketball) make.  Also, the girls appear to really enjoy playing the game and seem very close with their teammates.

Having said that, I'd still like to know exactly what prompted Carlee to transfer earlier this year.

52 minutes ago, gulftiger66 said:

Looks to me that the ladies are probably a little more mature and realistic about how playing softball at Auburn and the education they receive will impact their lives in the future.  Contrast that to the decisions that some of the male athletes on our major sports teams (football and basketball) make.  Also, the girls appear to really enjoy playing the game and seem very close with their teammates.

Having said that, I'd still like to know exactly what prompted Carlee to transfer earlier this year.

I understand but I respect her desire to keep it private and appreciate that she did not call out her coaches or team mates.  Was very mature about....made her decision and went with it.  We're gonna miss her .....but then again, we seem to have some very good catchers on the roster. 

2 hours ago, WarTiger said:

I have edited my original post and excluded names.  Also added a "?" as it was intended to be a question for comment.  There was no automatic assumption that anyone would leave.  These gals love to play and most have put major time and effort getting to this point. As you noted, not unheard of for someone to seek playing time elsewhere ie.  Blaire Bass (Louisville) and Laney Joyner (Michigan State).  

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I understand but I respect her desire to keep it private and appreciate that she did not call out her coaches or team mates.  Was very mature about....made her decision and went with it.  We're gonna miss her .....but then again, we seem to have some very good catchers on the roster. 

I meant that I'd like to know.  I wouldn't want the world to know...and if I knew I would keep it to myself.  But I too have great respect for the way she handled an obviously difficult situation.  She was my favorite player on last tear's team.

On 11/4/2017 at 2:40 PM, WarTiger said:

This makes zero sense to me.  Every player on the team was given a fresh start with the new staff.  A chance to prove themselves and see how well they connect with the new staff.  The idea of this being pessimistic is a lack of understanding of how things work.  Girls have left every single year for the opportunity for more playing time, it is the love for the game over the love for the school.  There is so much talent, especially in the underclassmen that it would be natural for some to look for more playing time, this is a good thing it happens at all strong programs, there is nothing negative about it.

21 hours ago, auburnphan said:

This makes zero sense to me.  Every player on the team was given a fresh start with the new staff.  A chance to prove themselves and see how well they connect with the new staff.  The idea of this being pessimistic is a lack of understanding of how things work.  Girls have left every single year for the opportunity for more playing time, it is the love for the game over the love for the school.  There is so much talent, especially in the underclassmen that it would be natural for some to look for more playing time, this is a good thing it happens at all strong programs, there is nothing negative about it.

I understand how things work hotshot.  The fact that this is a new staff is the very reason why its foolish to think someone will transfer after 12 meaningless games.  Do you really believe the lineup is set at all positions after 12 games that didn't count?  I sure don't.  I doubt the coaches know who the starters are going to be at every position, so the players definitely don't know.  Sure its natural for players to transfer for more playing time, but with a new staff and so many open spots to fill it just doesn't make sense for it to happen now and it is a pessimistic view, IMO.     The only thing I could see leading to a transfer is a possible personality conflict with the new staff.  Sometimes people just don't click.  But to leave now for more playing time? I don't see it.

• 1 month later...

Last week there was a photo (auburn athletics softball twitter) of several of the gals getting ready for the annual softball camp.  Appeared that Greenwood had right arm in a sling as though some sort of shoulder procedure.  Previously reported as issue with separated shoulder.

Fall ball is probably good for young players...give them a chance to see how they compare...and a chance to move if they have concerns about getting playing time.  Hope she finds a good home.

Saw it confirmed that Greenwood will miss this season...?

Article in Opelika-Auburn news also indicates Livy Shiele will likely redshirt I presume recovering/rehabbing from her knee injury.  I was really lookin forward to seeing her.  

Me, too, Slot.  That leaves Podany as the returning player with the most experience.  I'd expect to see some competition from Olsweski, Fornis, and Maresette.   

Schiele, from all reports, is the complete package and very quick on the bases which would have played well in Coach Dean's base running style.  Just from what I saw in  the Fall I would guess as follows for the outfield:  Left - Podany/Olszewsski, Center- Draper/Fornis, Right Rivera/Maresette.  The left field position may be the most competitive.

• 4 weeks later...

Auburn Athletics podcast today Coach Dean discussed the current candidates at a number of positions. Mentioned that Makenna Dowell has moved to the left side of infield. 1st Perry, Veach, Rivera, Morrow 2nd KK Crocker and McCrackin SS Snow, McCrackin and Dowell 3rd Veach, McCrackin and Dowell RF Rivera and Podany CF Draper and Fornis LF Podany, Maresette, Podany and Olszewski Mentioned that a lot will depend on who is catching. I feel McCrackin is a very valuable player due to her versatility. Also I felt her hitting has improved steadily. I was curious about the move of Rivera as an option at 1st. During times that Veach moves to catcher is the combo Rivera at 1st and Podany in RF a better option that Rivera in RF and Perry/Morrow at 1st? Glad to see Dowell getting looks on left side of infield. I believe she is a very good player and could be a waste to have her play behind KK if that is how the position is playing out at 2nd. She does some good stuff with the bat in her hand as well as her good infield play.

I think a lot of the first base talk depends solely on the plate discipline by Justus. She seems to be fine defensively, but sounds like hitting production will determine who plays first and the subsequent rotation. 

On 1/30/2018 at 6:28 PM, AUBwins said:

I think a lot of the first base talk depends solely on the plate discipline by Justus. She seems to be fine defensively, but sounds like hitting production will determine who plays first and the subsequent rotation. 

Well according to this Article I was dead wrong :laugh:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/01/justus_perry_focused_on_improv.html

I do still think consistency coming into the year was an issue. Seems like she has improved her average at the plate. That's a good thing. 

Archived