Jacobs stepping down

WDE0007

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

rest assured. Jay, Angie or their family have no need for your sympathy 

true....and unless I missed something I did not get the impression that they were looking for it either.

And unrelated to that I doubt AU is going to wait until June 2018 to make a move since he indicated that he would leave when AU has a replacement.   The school can move as quickly as it wishes and likely Leath or someone working on his behalf has already started the process  but I expect we will end up with someone not on current list. 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

rest assured. Jay, Angie or their family have no need for your sympathy 

You're so right, they've fleeced the university far beyond the point of being set for life.  They can buy all the sympathy they'll ever need, amiright?  What a smug, a**holeish statement, so aptly suitable for that POS.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

true....and unless I missed something I did not get the impression that they were looking for it either.

And unrelated to that I doubt AU is going to wait until June 2018 to make a move since he indicated that he would leave when AU has a replacement.   The school can move as quickly as it wishes and likely Leath or someone working on his behalf has already started the process  but I expect we will end up with someone not on current list. 

64, just hard to digest this thread. Feel sure that you understand....WDE early morning again for football

All I have been interested in is the truth and the facts, not anyone's personal opinion.  From the article, it certainly sounds like he needed to go. Nevertheless, the amount of glee over someone's downfall is disturbing.  It is a sad state of affairs for Auburn.  

2 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

You're so right, they've fleeced the university far beyond the point of being set for life.  They can buy all the sympathy they'll ever need, amiright?  What a smug, a**holeish statement, so aptly suitable for that POS.

feel better now POD? 

No, the idea that this guy was in any way good for Auburn is just completely wrong.  I sincerely think the way he handled the athletic department was CRIMINAL, not just selfish as Scarbinsky so lightly paints it.  He's been a scourge...and my sentiment is not glee.  It's a shame that he's been allowed to negotiate the terms of his dismissal to the extent that he's allowed to make it look like he's doing this for the good of Auburn.  He hasn't done much of anything good for anyone besides himself for the last dozen years.  It's sickening.

1 minute ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

No, the idea that this guy was in any way good for Auburn is just completely wrong.  I sincerely think the way he handled the athletic department was CRIMINAL, not just selfish as Scarbinsky so lightly paints it.  He's been a scourge...and my sentiment is not glee.  It's a shame that he's been allowed to negotiate the terms of his dismissal to the extent that he's allowed to make it look like he's doing this for the good of Auburn.  He hasn't done much of anything good for anyone besides himself for the last dozen years.  It's sickening.

Wow..i would like to hear more on the racketeering charges and crimina activities you spoke of ...they are very disturbing and disappointing if true.

2 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Nevertheless, the amount of glee over someone's downfall is disturbing.  It is a sad state of affairs for Auburn.  

I tend to agree with you. He was a horrible AD. He needed to go, if not just to get fresh blood in the AD. However, Jay Jacobs is still a man that has devoted most of his life to Auburn and that warrants him a dignified exit imo. 

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

With you on the (not on current list). Would think the process has started. Doubt that our football season results will play into the time frame of the "right" hire. 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I tend to agree with you. He was a horrible AD. He needed to go, if not just to get fresh blood in the AD. However, Jay Jacobs is still a man that has devoted most of his life to Auburn and that warrants him a dignified exit imo. 

WDE!!!  got A& M in the morning jeff

The dignity you speak of is not for Jay Jacobs, but for us, as Auburn fans. We should be displaying the dignity. I thought that was how we do it at Auburn. Wrong behavior doesn't warrant wrong behavior in return.  That's just my opinion. 

1 minute ago, 3rdgeneration said:

The dignity you speak of is not for Jay Jacobs, but for us, as Auburn fans. We should be displaying the dignity. I thought that was how we do it at Auburn. Wrong behavior doesn't warrant wrong behavior in return.  That's just my opinion. 

I agree. 

He started his AD journey with probably good intentions of doing what is best for AU. As in most people in power, as others in power are also needed to help JJ, he more than likely had to do things, to make other things happen. As in politics, I think a position of such power in athletics, should not be a longer term commitment. Maybe only terms of 4-8 years as an AD should be max. 

But, for all he screwed up, or happened under his watch, and poor handling of serious coaching issues, we should say thank you for your service, and move on. He is accountable for the bad as well as the good.

If he was acting criminal as an AD, in some comments being made here, it's hard to believe he never was investigated himself, since it was stated he did criminal things.

Just let him go, and lets hope we get new blood with new ideas.

4 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I'd love to know what Gus Malzahn is thinking right now. It's not just about the Texas A&M game anymore.

Thinking right now?? How about what went through his skull by sitting on a 9-point lead in the toughest stadium in the game with 30 minutes to play, betting the farm he would win as long as he didn't turn it over.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

I have to respectfully disagree.  He has made some horrendously bad hires and should have been shown the door after the 2012 football season.  

6 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

I have to respectfully disagree.  He has made some horrendously bad hires and should have been shown the door after the 2012 football season.  

I agree Jacobs has not had an overall successful record of making good hires.  Here is an interested read regarding  sport-by-sport breakdown of Jay Jacobs’ tenure as Auburn’s athletics director:

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/a-sport-by-sport-breakdown-of-jay-jacobs-tenure-as/article_c73a1de2-bb77-11e7-8d87-2f1eef600cd2.html

7 hours ago, subterranean_jack said:

1. Poor hires across the board

2. Running off quality coaches - Marsh, Muschamp

3. Stuck season ticket holders with lousy football non-conference home schedule most years (poor value to loyal season  ticket holders)

4. Jordan-Hare falling behind other SEC stadiums

5. Gross mishandling of scandals involving athletes, the most-recent incident is very telling

6. No repercussions when Malzahn knowingly played a seriously-injured QB against Georgia instead of putting in a healthy QB

7. Allowed Malzahn to bring in too many yes-men and none who would challenge his system which is so obviously failing against actual competition

8. Not able to overcome poor relationships with key personnel

9. Clemson, Clemson, Clemson, and some more Clemson

10. One of the worst public speakers to ever step in front of a microphone (poor representative of a major university)

I don't question Jacobs cares deeply for Auburn and did the best (well, kind of) that he could. His best was just way, way below the caliber of performance expected of ADs in the SEC and his poor performance has harmed Auburn athletics for potentially many years to come.

How about the ungodly buy outs

5 hours ago, AURex said:

My greatest fear is that they will hire David Benedict, former COO of Auburn athletic dept, now AD at UConn, who hired Lashlee as a favor to Gus. We need only remember Jacobs' predecessor to realize that it's not always wonderbar to get what we ask for, because then there's the possibility of even worse.

Please, not Benedict. Please not anyone from Arky State or with any connection to Malzahn, Dye, Tuberville or Chizik. We need to change the culture in the athletic department. And please not some "up and comer" dude from some FCS school or some minor league FBS school.

I got no names, just wishes.

Or anyone from Iowa State. It's not like they are exactly world beaters in any sport. They are not used to exceptional play in any sport. They are not used to winning. We don't need anyone from any school used to losing in sports.

8 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Scarbinsky is only scratching the surface.  The guy should be facing criminal charges...fraud, racketeering, theft by deception, you name it he's done it.  All with a seemingly sincere "God Bless".  

Folks that guy has absolutely destroyed the Auburn athletic department and there are those who seem to want to shed a tear over today's announcement, and it makes me want to puke.  He has been AU enemy number one for about a dozen years.

Many of us are simply not aware of specifics. We are aware, however, that the Athletic Programs are a mess. Not questioning any of your comments but will add that the totality of what I read leads me to believe that if the AD is not accountable and held to certain standards, then we have a bigger problem. One which will not be corrected simply by hiring another AD. Unless this new AD is an extraordinary person, overtime Auburn will again suffer and realize these same conditions. Whether it be the BOT, President, or etc., unless the house is set in order, a new AD will not be a long term solution. Does Auburn have an Internal Audit Department that reports to the President and BOT? If so, is this not effective in disclosing many of the issues mentioned.?

3 hours ago, auskull said:

Does Auburn have an Internal Audit Department that reports to the President and BOT? If so, is this not effective in disclosing many of the issues mentioned.?

Yes it does and reports are on line:  http://www.auburn.edu/administration/business-finance/financial/report.html

There is a tremendous amount of BS being tossed around as fact.  There are people with personal vendettas who are not worried about facts or evidence and In my view at least, anyone who really has affection for AU should consider the sources and not get roped into their conspiracies.  

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

There are people with personal vendettas who are not worried about facts or evidence and In my view at least, anyone who really has affection for AU should consider the sources and not get roped into their conspiracies.  

You are officially soft.  Suspected it for years, now confirmed.  

18 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

http://www.e2cnetwork.com/2017/11/dear-mr-jacobs/

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

That letter says a lot...as do the autographed posters and personal letter in our class "Reading Corner of Champions" (yes, there are rolled tree branches hanging) plus the 30 rubber orange bracelets sent for each of my kinders in 2010.  If you've had a personal encounter with someone repeatedly, positively or negatively, it affects you.  Thanks for sharing, Jeff.

I think a fresh start is in order.  I love the good parts of his tenure as AD.  I BELIEVE in Auburn.  Head and heart can disagree, but they must always be left to form their own opinion.

• 1 month later...

I am speechless about the retirement Jacobs will be drawing. FTR I am not a fan of defined benefit plans. Need some relation to the total contributions over a career. 

2 hours ago, aufan57 said:

I am speechless about the retirement Jacobs will be drawing. FTR I am not a fan of defined benefit plans. Need some relation to the total contributions over a career. 

As I read the piece in AUC this is the state retirement plan....not an AUburn plan and not just limited to him though the headlines might lead you to believe that he got some special package from AU....which does not seem to be the case.  My employers abandoned defined benefit plans many years ago in favor of defined contribution in an effort to stay solvent.   Guess that change in 1996 might have involved something like that too. .  

This type plan (defined benefits) is why so many governments are in long term financial trouble....many can't cover their future obligations.   I have not seen the Alabama retirement plan mentioned among those in danger so maybe the plan's investments like the Robert Trent Jones Trail and others have kept the earnings in good shape.....certainly better than corporate bond rates the last half dozen years. 

BUT....I'm guessing that not many state retirees will get that kind of retirement.....he's been in the plan a long time and probably has a good salary level figured into the formula they use to calculate benefits.     Whatever....the plan existed for all state employees and who can blame him for taking advantage of it? 

One thing I can add is that unlike some deferred benefits plans, the RSA plan requires members to contribute a good bit towards it. I worked for 7.5 years with the state and when I left, it was mandatory to contribute 7.5% of your gross income toward RSA. RSA payments are calculated based on your average annual income over the last 5 years of employment in conjunction with your contributions. 

9 hours ago, aufan57 said:

I am speechless about the retirement Jacobs will be drawing.

Oh yeah, the "King of the Buy-out".  One final act of treason on Jacobs' part, reportedly making more that 18 FBS coaches.  The idea that what he does is for the good of Auburn University is a bald face lie.  I guess it's like me taking one or two stamps a month from my (own) company...since he raised so much money, they owe it to him?  Just get the eff on. 

Archived