Praise for Coach Malzahn

AUJedi

I've been off the Gus bus since Clemson game this year and still haven't gotten back on. I've criticized him just as many of us have (many times deservedly so) but I'm giving him respect and praise for the win today. He deserves that.  Just as he gets criticized when it may not be all his fault, so he should get praise, even when he may not deserve all the credit. After that 1stQ, I was really worried where the rest of this season was headed. Great job by coaches and players of gutting out a win. KJ and Holland really showed how special they are today. If CGM shows me his ❤️ is fully with AU and he commits to improving and learning and becoming a better coach, I will gladly eat crow and joyfully jump back on the Gus bus. Let's finish this season strong and do what everyone else thinks is the impossible these next few weeks! War Eagle baby!! 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will wait to next week. Did what I expected and thought we were a better team top to bottom. Did a good job respond after a slow start though

Can't give too much praise. The decision to go for the 52 yard field goal after the first was blocked was idiotic. 

He said all week that all of the RBs would get playing time today.  ?  ?  Martin had 5 carries and Kerryon got the rest even in the game with less than 2 minutes left in the game.  Gus gets no credit until he and his coaches learn how to prepare and use the personnel we have. 

From a coaching standpoint I thought a lot looked good.  Forcing the punt (which gave us a TD) at the end of the half was a key decision that gave us the momentum. Half time adjustments were made. Play calling (whether Gus or Chip) was pretty good.  I thought it was a well coached game. 

I'm not saying I've bought back in the rest of the season I'm anxious to see too but if we're gonna rake him over the coals and throw all the blame at his feet for losses like LSU, we have to be fair and give him some respect for the win today. To do otherwise is just not fair. I'm on the one game at a time wait and see mentality like many others and he hasn't turned into a great coach in my eyes either. But for the 1 game and win today he gets my respect

Gus is  a good HC when we have more talent than the other team.

His problem is when teams have equal/greater talent. He does stupid shhhhtuff and fails to make adjustments.

Gus did some good things today. Far from perfect game, but better calling and decisions than other games this year. Take that how you want lol

4 minutes ago, around4ever said:

He said all week that all of the RBs would get playing time today.  ?  ?  Martin had 5 carries and Kerryon got the rest even in the game with less than 2 minutes left in the game.  Gus gets no credit until he and his coaches learn how to prepare and use the personnel we have. 

Gus is a idiot as a HC and maybe in general.

wde

19 minutes ago, lca408 said:

Can't give too much praise. The decision to go for the 52 yard field goal after the first was blocked was idiotic. 

Speak for yourself. It was 4th and 9 and we have one of if not the best kicker outside 50 yards in the country. You kick the FG.

13 minutes ago, thacheetah11 said:

That’s an idiotic comment... we have the best kicker in the country. He can hit 52 yarders all day. Just block better.

A&M has blocked something like 7 or 8 field goals this year prior to this game. A long field goal is kicked at a lower trajectory than a shorter one so it can make it further. Ya know, lower trajectory means lower angle. Meaning it's easier for a 6 foot + player jump up to block it. 

The fact that Carlson is a great kicker is irrelevant when he has to do the same things that all other kickers do to reach the distance required to make that kick.  He's had 3 kicks blocked prior to this game, including the infamous one vs A&M in 2014 that helped make the difference in that game. Tell me again why you attempt a high risk field goal at that distance, kicking into the sun when A&M had just retaken the momentum again?

3 minutes ago, lca408 said:

A&M has blocked something like 7 or 8 field goals this year prior to this game. A long field goal is kicked at a lower trajectory than a shorter one so it can make it further. Ya know, lower trajectory means lower angle. Meaning it's easier for a 6 foot + player jump up to block it. 

The fact that Carlson is a great kicker is irrelevant when he has to do the same things that all other kickers do to reach the distance required to make that kick.  He's had 3 kicks blocked prior to this game, including the infamous one vs A&M in 2014 that helped make the difference in that game. Tell me again why you attempt a high risk field goal at that distance, kicking into the sun when A&M had just retaken the momentum again?

Taking all that in to consideration, I still kick the FG all day every day. 

When JS and KJ came out on the field with 3 minutes left in the game I screamed at the TV that Gus needed to be fired if for nothing more than taking a chance on either of them getting hurt. I have always been a big Gus supporter so if anyone can explain to me with a 15 point lead why we would do that I would love to know. He ran KJ into the ground today I hope he will be ok for next week. Besides those things I was really pleased today. Oh except that we still don't have any medium passes. Everything is long or short.

Just now, around4ever said:

Taking all that in to consideration, I still kick the FG all day every day. 

That's fair. It's a calculated risk. I wouldn't but hey, I'm not the head man. Other than that, I really don't have any complaints vs Malzahn today.

1 minute ago, lca408 said:

That's fair. It's a calculated risk. I wouldn't but hey, I'm not the head man. Other than that, I really don't have any complaints vs Malzahn today.

I think the odds tell you to kick the field goal, all things considered - you are going to end up with points more often than not. 

The second block wasn’t from a guy jumping high up on the line, in which case what you’re saying would stand. The block was a guy coming from the side who got past our line. That’s just bad blocking by our ST 

11 minutes ago, lca408 said:

Because historically have done kick protection extremely well.  When you have a kicker like Carlson, you kick that all day every day.   Like the other poster said, we just need to block it better.  I definitely kick that every time.

Archived