Praise for Coach Malzahn

AUJedi

Bottom line, special teams has been an enormous disappointment this year. Two blocks this game. Better be on point the next 3 games. A breakdown like that could be the difference.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, lca408 said:

Bottom line, special teams has been an enormous disappointment this year. Two blocks this game. Better be on point the next 3 games. A breakdown like that could be the difference.

That we can all agree on. At least those field goals weren't especially meaningful in hindsight. Likely to need some of those to hit in the next 3 weeks. 

48 minutes ago, lca408 said:

A&M has blocked something like 7 or 8 field goals this year prior to this game. A long field goal is kicked at a lower trajectory than a shorter one so it can make it further. Ya know, lower trajectory means lower angle. Meaning it's easier for a 6 foot + player jump up to block it.

I didn’t watch the game, had to listen to it. Rod and Stan were saying that the person who blocked it came from the side, which is atypical for long FGs. Usually pressure in the middle affects the longer FGs. Is this correct?

1 hour ago, AUJedi said:

I've been off the Gus bus since Clemson game this year and still haven't gotten back on. I've criticized him just as many of us have (many times deservedly so) but I'm giving him respect and praise for the win today. He deserves that.  Just as he gets criticized when it may not be all his fault, so he should get praise, even when he may not deserve all the credit. After that 1stQ, I was really worried where the rest of this season was headed. Great job by coaches and players of gutting out a win. KJ and Holland really showed how special they are today. If CGM shows me his ❤️ is fully with AU and he commits to improving and learning and becoming a better coach, I will gladly eat crow and joyfully jump back on the Gus bus. Let's finish this season strong and do what everyone else thinks is the impossible these next few weeks! War Eagle baby!! 

I read this 4 times and I still haven't got a clue what you're praising Malzahn for doing.

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

He said all week that all of the RBs would get playing time today.  ?  ?  Martin had 5 carries and Kerryon got the rest even in the game with less than 2 minutes left in the game.  Gus gets no credit until he and his coaches learn how to prepare and use the personnel we have. 

Do you really trust K-Mart to block the D-Line that is 2nd in the nation in sacks (as much as I love K-Mart)?  Not defending the decision to keep KJ in a long as he did, but I can see why he did it.  In the first half it was because KJ could protect and in the second he was on a tear and wanted to stay in.

I would have preferred to see Malik Miller pass protect some though.  I really believe he is the next Pettway for us.  

43 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

That we can all agree on. At least those field goals weren't especially meaningful in hindsight. Likely to need some of those to hit in the next 3 weeks. 

True dat. Didn't matter today. May matter in one week. But good news is, neither Alabama or Georgia have been as good at blocks.

13 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

I read this 4 times and I still haven't got a clue what you're praising Malzahn for doing.

He gets a little love and praise for the win TODAY! This board man!! You're either a Pollyanna sunshine pumper or a negative train wreck of a human being! There is no middle ground. You know when my kids did something that deserved an ass whipping I gave them an ass whipping and when they deserved praise, I gave them praise. Gus deserved the ass whipping he got after LSU. Today he deserves a little (just a little maybe) love. Some of you want to continuously beat on him every chance you get. You're just as tiresome to me as the sunshine pumpers 

1 hour ago, WarEagle10 said:

Gus is  a good HC when we have more talent than the other team.

His problem is when teams have equal/greater talent. He does stupid shhhhtuff and fails to make adjustments.

That's the same thing some experts have said about the coach across the state...lol

7 minutes ago, AUJedi said:

He gets a little love and praise for the win TODAY! This board man!! You're either a Pollyanna sunshine pumper or a negative train wreck of a human being! There is no middle ground. You know when my kids did something that deserved an ass whipping I gave them an ass whipping and when they deserved praise, I gave them praise. Gus deserved the ass whipping he got after LSU. Today he deserves a little (just a little maybe) love. Some of you want to continuously beat on him every chance you get. You're just as tiresome to me as the sunshine pumpers 

He gets an atta boy and a pat on the back for beating a two TD underdog today.  Next week, the rubber will meet the road.

wde

7 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

He gets an atta boy and a pat on the back for beating a two TD underdog today.  Next week, the rubber will meet the road.

wde

True. The rest of season is Amen Corner for Gus's AU Coaching days IMO. And I'm still holding out a little hope that he shows me something. But it's crunch time for him and he should get whatever he deserves by his performance. 

24 minutes ago, creed said:

That's the same thing some experts have said about the coach across the state...lol

Thing is the coach across the state is never in the position of not having equal or better players than everyone else.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

I didn’t watch the game, had to listen to it. Rod and Stan were saying that the person who blocked it came from the side, which is atypical for long FGs. Usually pressure in the middle affects the longer FGs. Is this correct?

Yes but only cause you have to kick it lower for the longer distance.   

54 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Do you really trust K-Mart to block the D-Line that is 2nd in the nation in sacks (as much as I love K-Mart)?  Not defending the decision to keep KJ in a long as he did, but I can see why he did it.  In the first half it was because KJ could protect and in the second he was on a tear and wanted to stay in.

I would have preferred to see Malik Miller pass protect some though.  I really believe he is the next Pettway for us.  

True. That was the point of my last comment.  Coaches need to prepare the others.  

Pretty sad when Gus is getting credit for what he's supposed to do at a football program like Auburn. Beat UGA and Bama and then i may move towards the vicinity of the bus parking lot.

We won. I'm proud of the players. Now it's time to get our minds ready for UGA!

38 minutes ago, creed said:

Are you seriously putting Gus and Saban on the same level?

wde

He beat a crappy team in a game that we were supposed to win. Win against a big boy and then he deserves SOME praise. Do it consistently and then he deserves the praise!

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

Are you seriously putting Gus and Saban on the same level?

wde

Nope. Just relaying what I've heard before. But it would be interesting to see what kind of season each would  have if Saban was the coach of AU with our existing talent and Gus the coach at Bama with their existing talent.

2 hours ago, WarEagle10 said:

Gus is  a good HC when we have more talent than the other team.

His problem is when teams have equal/greater talent. He does stupid shhhhtuff and fails to make adjustments.

I'll expand on your statement a little more, Gus is a good HC when the other team is having a poor season and not playing well

17 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Pretty sad when Gus is getting credit for what he's supposed to do at a football program like Auburn. Beat UGA and Bama and then i may move towards the vicinity of the bus parking lot.

We won. I'm proud of the players. Now it's time to get our minds ready for UGA!

The head part of me gets this. I really do. But I guess the heart part of me wants to find some hope in still having a chance to make this season special. After the 1st quarter today, I thought our players may have already started mailing it in for the rest of the year. That maybe all the crap that's gone on this year is starting to affect them. But they found a way to fight and claw and get the win. Wasn't the prettiest but a win. And even if it's just for the players who deserve it ( and maybe I'm overestimating the impact we fans can have) maybe we could at least help create a positive vibe for them because they really do deserve it the way they have fought this year

I love this bunch. Hey, nothing wrong with optimism, but at some point reality sets in. Historically Auburn wins 8 per year. Likely happen this year and years to come regardless of coach. Just a fact and can be proven if you accept history. 8.5 wins since 1981. 

Do I want more? Sure. Will we get it? Historically speaking, no. 

I don't think most understand what it takes to consistently win at this level. Are you committed? Is the administration? Boosters? Besides talking on a forum, what are you doing to contribute to our success? 

My prediction? New coach averages 8 wins in five years and is fired. 

Prove me wrong. I sincerely hope I am. I am taking bets. 

If Gus beats GA or AL I will put one foot back on the Bus. If he beats both of them I will put both feet firmly back on the Bus. And if he loses to both of them I will be where I have been for most of this season- off the Bus and yelling at it to move on. :Sing:

35 minutes ago, creed said:

Nope. Just relaying what I've heard before. But it would be interesting to see what kind of season each would  have if Saban was the coach of AU with our existing talent and Gus the coach at Bama with their existing talent.

I think its likely both teams would be undefeated to this point.  

Archived