#10 in Latest AP Poll

djg0017

• WarTiger changed the title to #10 in Latest AP Poll

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The AP poll always does it's best to mirror the CFP poll come October, which effectively makes it completely useless. All we know from this is that the AP voters think the CFP poll will have us #10.

But I guess Top 10 is Top 10 so good for us. 

If we win out, we will be in the playoff. IF we beat Georgia, UL, UA, & then GA again in the tittle game...they couldn't keep us from being in. Realistically though...will this happen??? Ehhh...let me dream for now. It would be wild if we win out, beat GA again in the SEC tittle game...then get matched up against Bama in the playoffs. Unlikely but plausible 

1 minute ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

If we win out, we will be in the playoff. IF we beat Georgia, UL, UA, & then GA again in the tittle game...they couldn't keep us from being in. Realistically though...will this happen??? Ehhh...let me dream for now. It would be wild if we win out, beat GA again in the SEC tittle game...then get matched up against Bama in the playoffs. Unlikely but plausible 

That whole scenario of having to play Clemson, UGA, and Bama twice in the same year is an absolute nightmare.  And it's still possible...

Top-ten team, still a shot at the playoffs in November, so let's fire the coach, right? We have some fans with weird ideas on here.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Top-ten team, still a shot at the playoffs in November, so let's fire the coach, right? We have some fans with weird ideas on here.

Mikey, I like to try to stay upbeat, too, but you are provoking, brother.  We ALL have weird ideas. As for me, it's great to have some good news to feast upon. I'll take this moment for what it's worth, a moment, and enjoy looking forward to one game, one play, one quarter (all four please) at a time. "Just win, baby." Next flavor...Eau de Dawg.

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That isn't the issue, the issue is the two games we lost have a lot to do with coaching & not talent. Losing games because the other team is better than you is one thing, but when you beat yourselves is another. At this time last year we had a shot at the playoffs as well & looked how the rest played out. I'm not saying it will this year, but it's a possibility & if it does he will be gone without a doubt 

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We are 0-6 against the last two SEC teams on our schedule the past 3 years. Your argument is basically like stopping the tape of a boxing match right before some fool gets knocked out and saying, "Look, he's not knocked out yet!"

2 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

That isn't the issue, the issue is the two games we lost have a lot to do with coaching & not talent. Losing games because the other team is better than you is one thing, but when you beat yourselves is another. At this time last year we had a shot at the playoffs as well & looked how the rest played out. I'm not saying it will this year, but it's a possibility & if it does he will be gone without a doubt 

If he wins just one of the "big two" he won't be gone. Our fans that somehow think we, a team coming off an 8-5 season "should have beaten" the defending national champs on their home field when we were breaking in a rusty QB and new OC are delusional.

I will certainly agree that the LSU game was a loss that rests squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff.  I'm not so sure about Clemson, as there were a ton of execution issues on both the line and the QB holding the ball too long.  Be careful before you say the coaches own all of the execution issues too, because if you go that route then they should get all the credit for the things that go right too...

Nothing is ever as good, or bad, as it seems at the time. 

52 minutes ago, msza said:

We are 0-6 against the last two SEC teams on our schedule the past 3 years. Your argument is basically like stopping the tape of a boxing match right before some fool gets knocked out and saying, "Look, he's not knocked out yet!"

This

42 minutes ago, GoAU said:

I will certainly agree that the LSU game was a loss that rests squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff.  I'm not so sure about Clemson, as there were a ton of execution issues on both the line and the QB holding the ball too long.  Be careful before you say the coaches own all of the execution issues too, because if you go that route then they should get all the credit for the things that go right too...

Nothing is ever as good, or bad, as it seems at the time. 

Not just the Clemson game but the last 3 years. Our resume speaks for itself. 8-5. 7-6. 8-5. The people wanting him gone aren't solely basing that off of this year,  the past few years as well. 

59 minutes ago, msza said:

2014: UGA game we were completely out of it following a horrible loss and a shot at the title. Bama game we had prob the greatest offensive showing in Auburn history (600+ yards and 44 points in Ttown)

2015: Both games without our starting QB; Both games were still undecided going into the 4th

2016: Once again without our starting QB essentially (I know sean white played in the UGA game but was completely ineffective, however our backups werent even average at best) yet both games were still games going into the 4th. 

Other than UGA 2014, we had a good chance of winning the other 5, even though we didn't have our starting QB.

He still has time to re-make himself, and he certainly has the horses to do it with.  Win out and all is forgiven for the stupidity of weeks 2 and 7.  I'm hoping he plays the role of head coach for the rest of his time in Auburn.

1 hour ago, MCPeePants said:

Water of dog?  That sounds terrible.

Let's hope it is, McPee Pants!  Literally!  :-)

2 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I have to agree.  I know you can't win every game but giving them away is not good.  I still saw some bad play calling against A&M and trying to run poor KJ to death isnt going to help down the stretch.  I'm sorry beating Arky and A&M doesn't make all things great again for me.  Everyone got fired up with wins against the Mississippi teams and Miz only to be let down by blowing a 20 points lead.  The last two wins were great but they came against weaker teams and the track record against the big two that are left are less than good.  I have a feeling next weekend everyone will be ready to run Gus out of town again.  I so hope I am wrong.  Please let me be wrong.  I think AU has the talent to play with any of them just not sure if they have the leadership. 

If Saban was 0-6 over 3 seasons vs AU and LSU or Smart was 0 and 6 vs AU and Florida you can bet your ass they would be catching heat, top 10 ranking or not. That's just the way it is in big-time coaching and they are richly compensated in return for that pressure.

11 minutes ago, CR said:

If Saban was 0-6 over 3 seasons vs AU and LSU or Smart was 0 and 6 vs AU and Florida you can bet your ass they would be catching heat, top 10 ranking or not. That's just the way it is in big-time coaching and they are richly compensated in return for that pressure.

They fired a coach that was 11-1 because he could not beat Auburn.  I forget who. Perkins or Curry or someone lol

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

This is the exact same position we were in at this time last year. We went 1-3 to end the year last year and lost to every decent team we played. Maybe we get a better end result this year but the disappoint and skepticism with Malzahn has been well earned.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Past performance is often the best indicator of future success. 

That is why most are highly skeptical.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Hypothetically, we go 1-2 in our last 3, what do you do?

Archived