Things I Think I Saw (AU vs Texas A&M).....

JMR

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic

Doesn't it seem like we ran a similar mix of plays as against LSU?  Run up the middle, throw deep.  Only we connected on a couple.  Not many intermediate throws.  Woulda been nice to see Malik in a bit toward the end for a taste of big boy football.

Good win though.

1 hour ago, Oldmactech said:

Doesn't it seem like we ran a similar mix of plays as against LSU?  Run up the middle, throw deep.  Only we connected on a couple.  Not many intermediate throws.  Woulda been nice to see Malik in a bit toward the end for a taste of big boy football.

Good win though.

Exactly! Its the same bad plays. IZ, WR screen, speed sweep, and deep post in the same order. We are so predictable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Exactly! Its the same bad plays. IZ, WR screen, speed sweep, and deep post in the same order. We are so predictable.

I knew you would say that.

• Haha 1

Thanks, Coach! Love reading your summary every week. Yesterday wasn’t pretty but as you said, any road win is a good one. My only complaints are with play calling (which it seems isn’t going to change) and special teams, which are appallingly bad and seem to regress every week.

4 hours ago, JMR said:

I hated that he got 29 carries yesterday, as that toll has to be mounting on his body

I knew they would run him like a rented mule in this game even though Kam Matin was hitting on all cylinders.

As I said after the Arkansas game, I appreciate so much your "column" after each game. This week is no exception . I enjoy your knowledgeable observations. So, thanks again!

1 thing surprised me about your observations this week. I thought you'd have something to say about the 96 yard drive after the D held at the 4 yard line. Obviously a PI call (a clear call, unlike the later one on Carlton) gave us our 1st first down, but after getting that 1st down we moved steadily, even forcefully, down the field, keeping the ball for nearly 8 mins, mostly running the ball, & scoring a TD to pretty much seal the win. I thought at the time that a drive like that is potentially important not only for yesterday's game but also going forward, a confidence builder for the offense. Am I being too optimistic?

3 hours ago, Browning4AU said:

I think I saw Carlton Davis flip the A&M sideline a bird after his PI call. 

That ain't half bad , I doubled flipped them off from the confines of my den.

36 minutes ago, TigerTennis80 said:

As I said after the Arkansas game, I appreciate so much your "column" after each game. This week is no exception . I enjoy your knowledgeable observations. So, thanks again!

1 thing surprised me about your observations this week. I thought you'd have something to say about the 96 yard drive after the D held at the 4 yard line. Obviously a PI call (a clear call, unlike the later one on Carlton) gave us our 1st first down, but after getting that 1st down we moved steadily, even forcefully, down the field, keeping the ball for nearly 8 mins, mostly running the ball, & scoring a TD to pretty much seal the win. I thought at the time that a drive like that is potentially important not only for yesterday's game but also going forward, a confidence builder for the offense. Am I being too optimistic?

No, not too optimistic at all. I agree with your thoughts. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aucater said:

I knew they would run him like a rented mule in this game even though Kam Matin was hitting on all cylinders.

I could not understand why in the world they kept running KJ so many times ,especially late it the game when we pretty much had command of the situation, especially when we have our two biggest games coming up. Kam Martin was doing a great job. Senseless to me, I am afraid KJ will be out of gas completely by the bama game. SMH!!!

WDE

Edited by Slammer1
  • Like 1

Thanks again for a terrific post. I'm delighted by the win, and I share the sentiment that beating a good A&M team on the road always counts as good.

One thing I notice about A&M. If they have the QB for it, their offense is incredibly sophisticated. Kinda makes ours look, um, less sophisticated. Those huge plays were good examples -- things that fit their scheme but in quirky ways. Same goes for their pass routes.

But hey! We ran some pass routes! Even a slant. And I want to credit our WRs and OL for blocking those tunnel screens.

Loving the young guys playing up front on D. I don't think we can replace Matthews at safety next year -- he's an intimidator. But we have lots, and lots, of young guys raising hell all over the defense, especially in the line. Moultry is a revelation, and Coe is too.

And Lord, we need some offensive linemen to get healthy this week. We really could not block A&M early in the game. Georgia is far more fierce.

On November 5, 2017 at 4:46 PM, bigbird said:

51, 49, 44, 52, and 42 points scored in 5 of the last 6 SEC games played.

Yep, that's pretty predictable.

Also a school record...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Auskip said:

51, 49, 44, 52, and 42 points scored in 5 of the last 6 SEC games played.

Yep, that's pretty predictable.

Also a school record...

IZ (KJ)

Buck sweep RT (KJ)

Wr screen (Davis)

Speed sweep (Stove)

Deep post (Slayton)

Option/skip route (Hastings)

Wildcat (KJ...fake jet sweep and run right)

Yes, we are beyond predictable. I guarantee UGA and UA know what play we are running based on personnel and alignment. We don't adjust. Heck, my 11 yr old calls out the play before the snap based on alignment.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

This is outstanding stuff coach and we're blessed to have you, thanks!

IMHO those rub slants should be a priority defensive fix for us, as Hurts & Bama seem to use them effectively a lot this year. fwiw, those rub slants are also a fixture with La - Monroe's weekly 500+ yd offense and they ate Coastal "take that Razorbacks" Carolina alive with them. Just saying.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Auskip said:

My wife was wondering if you considered the fake field goal in your analysis?

Obviously I failed to mention it, but I didn’t like the call. That isn’t hindsight, as I thought at the time it might be a fake, and didn’t like it then. I thought with less than a yard to go, a normal run play offered better odds. 

I do like trick plays in the kicking game, as that tends to make opponents a little more wary of bringing an all-out rush. Wish we’d had a fake called on the ones they blocked. A&M was not fooled by our fake, although we did get the needed yardage (negated by a penalty).  

• Like 3

Thank for taking the time to do this. I 100 percent agree about the fake punt. A regular play offered much better odds of success in that situation. Additionally, I think one is less likely to have a penalty on those types of plays. A power type run would be a higher percentage play. Less moving parts. I like fakes, but this was not the time for one.