Gus would be wise to look around

aubiefifty

1 minute ago, aucanucktiger said:

Typical Finebaum  - he's been suggesting since LSU that Malzahn's in over his head at Auburn while this weekend hypocritically dumping on the Auburn fans that want any 7-2 SEC West coach gone. It's darkly funny seeing ESPN viewers around the country clueing into the special kind of shock-jock idiocy Finebaum has been inflicting on Auburn for many years.

Exactly right...  "CGM is in over his head"...  "CGM should be looking for another job"...  Well if he is over his head, then why would anyone else hire him?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he stays put and waits to be fired, he makes million$ to NOT Coach. What am I missing?

3 hours ago, shabby said:

Les had the 10th rank team in the nation when he got fired? I didn't know that

Gus won't have the 10th ranked team either if we lose to UGA and spuat.

wde 

19 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Exactly right...  "CGM is in over his head"...  "CGM should be looking for another job"...  Well if he is over his head, then why would anyone else hire him?

He is better than Fat Bret at Arky, Butch Jones at UT and McElwain at UF.

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

He is better than Fat Bret at Arky, Bert Jones at UT and McElwain at UF.

wde

May be, but if he is "over his head" at AU; why would he not be "over his head" at either of those schools?

2 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

May be, but if he is "over his head" at AU; why would he not be "over his head" at either of those schools?

He certainly could be at UF based on their expectations.  Not at Arky certainly. UT could be either way.

ETA: Take UT off of the list..... spuat and UGA are two of their biggest rivals and those two teams are not good for Gus.

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

He certainly could be at UF based on their expectations.  Not at Arky certainly. UT could be either way.

UT's expectations are more unrealistic than most anyone in the country.  For the last several years, someone has picked them to win the east and the fan base is chanting for a Natty.

Arky would still be in the SEC West and would still have to play all the same basic teams we play now.

Not arguing with you specifically @AUIH1.  I have just seen several saying these things and then saying he is going to take another P5 (or even another SEC job).  It just seems contradictory to me.

1 minute ago, lkeel75 said:

UT's expectations are more unrealistic than most anyone in the country.  For the last several years, someone has picked them to win the east and the fan base is chanting for a Natty.

Arky would still be in the SEC West and would still have to play all the same basic teams we play now.

Not arguing with you specifically @AUIH1.  I have just seen several saying these things and then saying he is going to take another P5 (or even another SEC job).  It just seems contradictory to me.

FWIW, I don't think Gus going anywhere either unless he gets fired.  Arky would be the only place where Gus is an automatic, no questions asked upgrade to what they have now based on coaching ability and expectations.

wde

27 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Typical Finebaum  - he's been suggesting since LSU that Malzahn's in over his head at Auburn while this weekend hypocritically dumping on the Auburn fans that want any 7-2 SEC West coach gone. It's darkly funny seeing ESPN viewers around the country clueing into the special kind of shock-jock idiocy Finebaum has been inflicting on Auburn for many years.

Uhm, he is 100% right.  Malzahn has almost zero job security next season: a new AD, plus a big exodus of talent this upcoming off season, plus his general ineptitude means that he's probably in for a long season.  Whereas exterior circumstances will save him this year, he's likely out next season barring a miracle performance.

I love how by beating a few teams that are way below us we are supposed to have some sort of new found hope.  Nothing has changed here.  If he beats Georgia and/or Alabama, then we can start talking...until then we are simply a very talented team that blew it earlier this season due to head coaching ineptitude and are still hovering around the ~top 10 because others have played their tough games before us.  2 of our 3 hardest games this season are yet to be played; we'll see where our ranking is after those two games.

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Repeated broken promises

Like what?  I would think it would take a lot to make a man despise you after you made him a multi-millionaire.

2 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

The Bird drops knowledge 

That's not all he drops :)

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Guys, we could be blown out in 2 of the last 3. Fact is we will have Gus as our coach in 2018 unless he takes another job. 

We have no AD. ANYONE who thinks we make a voluntary move, hasn't been paying attention to what's going on in the athletic department. 

Gus will be here next year boys, better prepare for it.

Agree that he will be around. Can not agree with your 1st sentence, I do not see anyway UGA or Bammer blows this team out. Doubt that either team is cherishing coming to Jordan Hare.

3 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

Maybe the most decisive three game stretch in AU history. Any outcome represents a turning point. Either we keep Gus and the program is stable, or we roll the dice as you say in a very big way. UF, UT (both of them), and TAMU have all been wandering in the wilderness looking up enviously at what we consider "mediocrity" for some years now. All but UF tossed coaches with records similar to Gus's. I hated the LSU loss as much as anyone, but the best thing by far for AU would be for Gus to at least split the big 2 and remain as AU's coach for now. 

I agree with you 100%!

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Gus hated working for JJ. His removal makes AU a better place for Gus.  

Been wondering about that variable.

I am soooooooo beyond tired of hearing the excuse O WELL there is to many teams going to be looking for a coach. WHO THE HELL CARES?! If a coach deserves to be fired then FIRE HISS BUTT!!!! None of those teams are on our level besides Florida and TAMU. I do not care at all that arky, tenn and ole miss will be looking for coaches. They are not on our level. There are dark days ahead if we are competing for the same level of coaches than those schools. UF and TAMU are who we would be competing with. Florida right now is a dumpster fire. No coach worth a dang is going to want to go there because the talent on that team is GUTTED. That is a major rebuild. Barring a miracle the first 2 years at least they will be very bad. SO we are down to competing with TAMU for quality head coaches. Just reading the tea leaves they seem pretty set on Chad Morris since he is a Aggie grad. Auburn is the best job that would come open because we are loaded from all the top 10 recruiting classes we have been bringing in. That is the job that will attract bigger names than we have in the past because a coach will look at our job and knows he can win right away.

5 hours ago, shabby said:

Les had the 10th rank team in the nation when he got fired? I didn't know that

But lose to GA and bama and you won't be 10th.

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Guys, we could be blown out in 2 of the last 3. Fact is we will have Gus as our coach in 2018 unless he takes another job. 

We have no AD. ANYONE who thinks we make a voluntary move, hasn't been paying attention to what's going on in the athletic department. 

Gus will be here next year boys, better prepare for it.

100% correct, Gus will be here next year.

51 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Agree that he will be around. Can not agree with your 1st sentence, I do not see anyway UGA or Bammer blows this team out. Doubt that either team is cherishing coming to Jordan Hare.

I don't think they WILL blow us out, I said they could and he would still be the coach. Which is a cold hard fact. 

Gus will be the coach next year, unless he takes another job. 

There is zero chance, no matter what happens, he is fired. 

After the new AD is hired, and he/she has time to take an internal inventory, then Gus could be out, but until then, we could be beat down 150-0 vs Bama and UGA and he still wouldn't be removed. This isn't what I think will happen, I'm just making a point 

Gonna be hard for Gus to find any school that is willing to pay over $5 million for him like Auburn is. I don't see him moving unless he gets fired. Arkansas sure isn't going to hand over that kind of money. I don't know though, maybe it is worth taking a $2 million pay cut to move back home. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Gus would be wise to look around

Archived