Gus would be wise to look around

aubiefifty

I think based on the landscape described here they should give him a vote of confidence (whether public or private) and let him coach these next two games with reckless abandon and not be worried about losing his job. Throw the kitchen sink at them and not coach scared. Know this will not be a popular opinion but I simply don’t think  he should be fired based on these two games, especially given the fact we have as good a chance of getting a dud as we do of getting a winner. Now let me have it....lol. (And yes I was so mad after the LSU game I wanted him fired).

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I think based on the landscape described here they should give him a vote of confidence (whether public or private) and let him coach these next two games with reckless abandon and not be worried about losing his job. Throw the kitchen sink at them and not coach scared. Know this will not be a popular opinion but I simply don’t think  he should be fired based on these two games, especially given the fact we have as good a chance of getting a dud as we do of getting a winner. Now let me have it....lol. (And yes I was so mad after the LSU game I wanted him fired).

Do you think a vote of confidence from the Auburn Administration somehow pull Gus out of his shell?  Help him manage his roster better?  Make better in-game decisions and adjustments?  Prepare his team better?

Do you think "if" he is terminated it will be because of these two games?

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Do you think a vote of confidence from the Auburn Administration somehow pull Gus out of his shell?  Help him manage his roster better?  Make better in-game decisions and adjustments?  Prepare his team better?

Do you think "if" he is terminated it will be because of these two games?

I guess I think if he is retained bc of these two games, then these two games determine his job. I understand the past.i guess I could see it more if they weren’t the top 2 teams in the country.  

I guess if I’m honest (I’m the cautious type) , then I’m saying I would rather risk another 8-4 season with him than a possible 4-8 with the devil we don’t know. I know that’s not popular but that’s just me.....and it’s just an opinion

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Schools like Missouri and  Arky for example would kill to have some 8 or 9 win seasons and to be competitive in their losses.

This is true.  But teams like UF/UT/LSU/UAT/UGA would fire their coaches if all they could muster was 8 wins a year.  

I will say this, if Gus were actually winning 9 games a year including his bowl games then I think fans would be more reasonable. 

The unfortunate fact is he's averaging 8 wins total and sits at 1-3 in bowl games, that just won't cut it at a place like Auburn.  If that's all CGM can do then he should take his services to Mizzou or Arky.

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

This is true.  But teams like UF/UT/LSU/UAT/UGA would fire their coaches if all they could muster was 8 wins a year.  

I will say this, if Gus were actually winning 9 games a year including his bowl games then I think fans would be more reasonable. 

The unfortunate fact is he's averaging 8 wins total and sits at 1-3 in bowl games, that just won't cut it at a place like Auburn.  If that's all CGM can do then he should take his services to Mizzou or Arky.

Fair point.....though I'm not sure I would look forward to playing him every year if he got a decent DC. 

At best, Gus is just an 8 win coach. I won't be surprised if we end the 2017 season at 8-5 again. And if Gus does that again, it will be the 3rd time in 5 years that Auburn has gone 8-5. Also, if we go 8-5, that means Auburn loses another bowl game. Therefor, Gus will have bowl record of 1-4.

2 hours ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

A- Has Gus really proven that he’s mediocre for 5 straight years? I don’t think many came way from the 2013 and 2014 seasons thinking that. He is no longer coaching that way.  He is not attacking a defense.  He plays coaches scared and is scared to use his talent.

B- The number of people that keep their cable provider despite rising costs and dwindling performance might be surprising to you. The question is, what kind of person/people do we have making that decision for us?

C- There probably are several coach’s that can win with the talent we have now. The overall question should be how many guys out there can win with the current talent, but can also keep or improve the level of talent we have and consistently do so? How many guys are out there that can bring in a defensive staff to pick up where Steele left off (assuming he isn’t retained after a staff change). How many guys are out there that can handle our boosters/AD while having success against our rivals?  We will never know if we never attempt to be the best we can be every day.

D- Honestly we should just start super small. Who can come in and bring us our first back to back 10 win season since Pat Dye?  Nobody on this board thought a coach with a resume of Wyoming and East Carolina would forever alter the fortunes of Auburn Football.

Is 8 wins plus a bowl win a year for 9 wins total? all the Auburn fans will be reasonable with that kind of coaching? if true, then the high school coach is all yours. If you think low then that what you will get. More power to you.

In my 57 years, I never dreamed that any true Auburn fan would be happy with a head football coach that would win 8 or 9 games a year plus a bowl win every now and again. Our standards have dropped that low. Very, very sad.

1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

I guess if I’m honest (I’m the cautious type) , then I’m saying I would rather risk another 8-4 season with him than a possible 4-8 with the devil we don’t know. I know that’s not popular but that’s just me.....and it’s just an opinion

At least you can admit it you would rather live with 8 win seasons 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

At least you can admit it you would rather live with 8 win seasons 

Actually not indefinitely.   I️ am just concerned about this year alone and the number of openings there will be, not just in the SEC.  

I stand by this point and not sure many on this thread get this: we have these consistent 8-4 seasons b/c we recruited top 10 classes evey yr and have poor coaching..    The recruiting is drying up (we won't have a 5th consecutive top 10 class this yr I don't think).  and if we maintain status quo (8-4 and losing annually to UGA and bama), the talent will dry up to the point 6-6 will become a new 'norm'.    

Something has to change is all I am saying.

I’m just not sure auburn can ever get to a consistent 10 win team.   It never has so why do people think we can?   Just from a competitive standpoint, AU plays one of the toughest schedules in the country year in and year out.   Right now, there are three coaches I can think of that have had their tams with consistent 10 win seasons(saban, Meyer and Dabo).  We aren’t getting any of them.   I’m all for letting Gus go, I’m just not sure AU will ever be the team is consistently winning 10 games a year . 

44 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’m just not sure auburn can ever get to a consistent 10 win team.   It never has so why do people think we can?   Just from a competitive standpoint, AU plays one of the toughest schedules in the country year in and year out.   Right now, there are three coaches I can think of that have had their tams with consistent 10 win seasons(saban, Meyer and Dabo).  We aren’t getting any of them.   I’m all for letting Gus go, I’m just not sure AU will ever be the team is consistently winning 10 games a year . 

Certainly not with a coach that underutilizes and wastes talent. That could have started this year.

I'm ok with 8 wins a year I guess. It needs to be because someone just beats us. When a program can directly blame should've-won losses on the coach, for his tendency to not be prepared early season, to bet the farm on the wrong recruits, to make a living on the middle teams running a game that's certain to fail against a quality opponent, to lie repeatedly to the outside world, to allow players to take blame for impossible scenarios, to be unable to properly identify, rank, and discharge the weapons on the team, and the bludgeoning refusal to throw in the kitchen sink in the face of a loss (or even adjust, for that matter).

Winsandlosses bedamned, I don't think any of us have ever seen this before. We're having to learn how to deal with it, while regular schools either fire or tolerate luke-warm coaches for whatever reason. Far as I'm concerned '17 lsu and '16 uga, among other games, were outright forfeits. I wouldn't have a problem at all with an 8-4 coach in retrospect, long as he wins all the games his team is capable of; which is the whole job in a nutshell. I'm not being cavalier about it. It hurts to have to re-staff a program. He really should be looking around. 

Either way- let's spoil it for the dawgs.

I can live with 2 or 3 eight win seasons out of say a 5 or 6 year period as long as we have a 10 or more sprinkled in there and hold our own against bama and uga. I mean really what I just said is basically AU football historically.  If Gus had just found a way to beat the last two mediocre uga teams and win one more bowl I think a lot of fans would be less inclined to see him go.

Let’s say we wait next year to hire a coach because we are scared to compete with Ole Miss, Tennessee, A&M, Missouri, Florida, and Arkansas.  Now not only did we allow lesser programs to narrow the pool of available head coaches and assistants, we allowed all these new staffs a full year head start to build relationships with recruits. None of that makes any sense. 

The pool of available coaches that are available because of years of training, and multiple winning seasons at smaller programs is not going to magically replenish in one season.  

Of course if Gus stops his trend of losing to UGA this weekend this conversation ends. Come on Gus we want to believe so please beat UGAly. 

11 hours ago, aubaseball said:

I'd be satisfied with a 10 win season every couple of years, but right now the team isn't headed in that direction.

10 hours ago, aubaseball said:

With the exception of Georgia instead of Tennessee, Auburn plays the same schedule that Alabama does.  That said, I think what most Auburn fans that want Gus gone really want is not necessarily measured by amount of wins.  They want Auburn to win almost all of the games they should, and they want to do no worse than 0.500 against good teams.  They want to see an offense (which is supposed to be our strength) that is more consistent, and not routinely impotent when it encounters a good defense.  They want to feel confident that Auburn can win any game they play, against anyone.  The program can certainly recruit well enough to do that.

Might have been a slightly better fit in one of the other GusThreads, but this'll probably do.

Mr. Papke, in "15 college football coaches not living up to their salary in 2017," not only lists several coaches at schools that have been identified as likely competitors in the available pool for replacements, but also (more surprisingly to me) a few coaches that have been proposed as likely candidates here.

It's a lengthy web "slide show," so only link is provided.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/15-college-football-coaches-not-living-up-to-their-salary-in-2017/ss-BBEK6ba?li=BBnba9I&ocid=mailsignout

5 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Might have been a slightly better fit in one of the other GusThreads, but this'll probably do.

Mr. Papke, in "15 college football coaches not living up to their salary in 2017," not only lists several coaches at schools that have been identified as likely competitors in the available pool for replacements, but also (more surprisingly to me) a few coaches that have been proposed as likely candidates here.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/15-college-football-coaches-not-living-up-to-their-salary-in-2017/ss-BBEK6ba?li=BBnba9I&ocid=mailsignout

Thanks ....that was interesting. 

As for prospective coaches named here, I have the feeling that some names are tossed out just because their names are in the news or generally well known...and not because anyone has actually delved into their performance and nature to decide they would be a good fit at Auburn.  

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

With the exception of Georgia instead of Tennessee, Auburn plays the same schedule that Alabama does.  That said, I think what most Auburn fans that want Gus gone really want is not necessarily measured by amount of wins.  They want Auburn to win almost all of the games they should, and they want to do no worse than 0.500 against good teams.  They want to see an offense (which is supposed to be our strength) that is more consistent, and not routinely impotent when it encounters a good defense.  They want to feel confident that Auburn can win any game they play, against anyone.  The program can certainly recruit well enough to do that.

This right here . How hard is this to understand . It was never about winning a NC every year or being in the playoffs every year .

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

BINGO!  

And to be honest, UGA was just as piss poor as UT in '15 & '16 and Auburn should have beat them just like UAT beat UT those years.

I hate that Auburn hasn't been able to take advantage of some of the weaker/down teams in the last 3 yrs.  

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

I keep looking for Gus.  Am I missing something?

Archived