2018 4* CB Christian Tutt Commits to AU!!!

War to the Eagle

25 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Trey brings and attitude for sure but Roberts has been playing like a man on fire all year. Making plays in running and passing game all over the place. Been really pleased and surprised with his level of play

Trigga Tray is more than attitude. He's the QB of our D & secondary. Remember the games he hasn't played in his AU career & how discombobulated the secondary was at times. Even w/ Gus 2nd half derping we don't lose to LSU if Tray was playing, especially in the 2nd half.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Tray is a straw stirring a very tasty drink. Secondary may take a step back, but if Jeff comes back, the DL should be better. They can paper over some issues in coverage. It’s going to be a crucial spring for Thomas, Peters, Monday, Sherwood, and anyone else playing Safety. 

Pass rushers are a premium in the NFL & draft. Jeff might want to leave while his iron is hot.

52 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Tray is a straw stirring a very tasty drink. Secondary may take a step back, but if Jeff comes back, the DL should be better. They can paper over some issues in coverage. It’s going to be a crucial spring for Thomas, Peters, Monday, Sherwood, and anyone else playing Safety. 

Will probably be doing some cross training with our secondary. 

@ellitor he might. He and Carlton will have tough decisions to make. 

@ClaytonAU I’m guessing Dinson gets work back at Safety. Possibly Malcolm Askew as well. Thomas is the guy that has to come through though. He’s a junior with experience. Huge spring for him. 

I've noticed Peters playing more lately, think he was in on one of the long passes uga completed to convert a third and long in the first series. At least he is getting some big game experience.

52 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I've noticed Peters playing more lately, think he was in on one of the long passes uga completed to convert a third and long in the first series. At least he is getting some big game experience.

Yeah we need someone with some experience back there. Love how D is getting players experience in big game situations. That pays off so much down the road. 

• Like 1

Meh. I LOVE the group of Safeties we have committed. Three is the number we needed, and I like all three.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

Meh. I LOVE the group of Safeties we have committed. Three is the number we needed, and I like all three.

Me too!

• Like 1

On 11/16/2017 at 6:17 PM, au_bsci_04 said:

Too bad we're not in a better possession for Tyreke Johnson

He's a safety & we are full there. Have you heard anything about him as a potential CB?

• ellitor unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Cornerback commit readies for Auburn after OSU-Tennessee push

A Wednesday night in-home film session with Auburn defensive backs coach Greg Brown helped 4-star cornerback Christian Tutt realize he’d made the right decision.

Tutt committed to Auburn shortly after his official visit for the Georgia game. He cited early playing time and proximity to home as the primary reasons. Still, last-minute pushes from a pair of programs — Ohio State and Tennessee — had him thinking.

But Brown went to the Tutt household Wednesday and broke down why Tutt needs to suit up for the Auburn Tigers.

“Coach Brown was actually right here [Wednesday]. We were watching film and stuff, he was showing me where I was going to fit in this defense,” Tutt told SEC Country. “We watched some schemes, some snag, some of the concepts they do. They’re just trying to get me prepared, getting in tune, for when I get there.”

RELATED: 2018 Auburn recruiting big board

Tutt will be at Auburn in short order.

He confirmed to SEC Country on Wednesday he plans to move in this weekend along with a few other commits. Tutt and others will be on campus for bowl practices, so he’ll move in before he can sign next week. Any pushes from Ohio State and Tennessee have been nixed.

Christian-Tutt-Auburn-recruiting-class-of-2018
Auburn landed a commitment from 4-star cornerback Christian Tutt after the Georgia game. (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

“Me and a couple of guys, we’re supposed to be actually going up Saturday and moving in so we can practice during bowl week. We can’t play or anything, but they want us to come up and practice during bowl week. So that’s what we’ll do,” Tutt said. “I’m ready to get all of this behind me. All this recruiting, it’s been hectic. I’m just ready to get out there with the guys and build relationships and all that.”

The Tigers had to fight until the end.

Ohio State had been around since the beginning. Urban Meyer & Co. visited Tutt during the in-home period, and he stayed in contact with former a Nebraska defensive backs coach — Tutt’s closest player-coach relationship — who was entertaining potential job opportunities elsewhere, including Ohio State, but that never came to fruition.

Tennessee also entered the mix when Jeremy Pruitt took the coaching job. Pruitt stayed in regular communication with Tutt’s father over the last few weeks.

Ultimately, Auburn was able to win out.

“Just those two, Ohio State and Tennessee. I’m still committed to Auburn. But they just stayed after me, because I haven’t signed those papers yet. So they’re still on me. They’re still recruiting me,” Tutt said.

In the end, Tutt’s reasoning for sticking with Auburn remained the same as when he committed.

Brown made the message clear that, especially if Carlton Davis leaves for the NFL, the Tigers will have a hole to fill at cornerback. He feels Tutt has the ability to step in to fill that void, and that’s what Tutt intends to do.

“The message I got from him was that there was a need for corners right now. He told me that this was the most perfect opportunity for me, because I’m the only corner committed, and I’m the only one coming in December,” Tutt said. “He doesn’t even know who is going to replace Carlton. So that’s why he said, ‘This is the perfect opportunity for you to come in and establish yourself and come and start.’ The whole front seven, they’re not going anywhere. They just need a little help in the back end. That’s why I’m trying to come in and compete for that starting job.”

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/16/2017 at 5:40 PM, mcgufcm said:

Safeties , yes. CB not so much(excluding Tutt). Looks like we are looking at plan B and later guys there.

8 hours ago, CR said:

Safeties , yes. CB not so much(excluding Tutt). Looks like we are looking at plan B and later guys there.

If Benjie plays like he did in JuCo I will be ok w/ plan B if we get him.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

2. Christian Tutt is just a ballplayer

Auburn fans are going to like what this guy brings to the table.

Everyone knows he has elite-level cornerback skills. That’s why Kevin Steele and Greg Brown stayed on him throughout the recruiting process and made sure to seal the deal late despite pushes from Ohio State and Tennessee. Christian Tutt has a strong chance to play as a freshman at Auburn, and he’s shown why so far this week in San Antonio.

And as great as his cover skills have been, it was actually another moment Tuesday that impressed me most.

After practice, participants in the game played in a fun 7-on-7 matchup against members of the U.S. Army. In a surprising twist, the U.S. Army team won games against the East and West teams.

But the reason I bring this up is because of Tutt.

Players weren’t allowed to play their natural positions during 7-on-7, so quarterbacks were playing receiver and defensive ends were playing running back. Tutt played a little wide receiver and linebacker and excelled at both. He had an interception at linebacker (shouldn’t be a surprise) and had a few big catches at wide receiver.

Look, I know this event didn’t mean much, but when Tutt is on a football field, he’s just a natural.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

we should be in the top 5 in the country or better with DBs for the 2018 class. I wish we could find a 4 or 5 star DB with the last name of King!  This would be cool to see King and Tutt lined up at the CB  positions at the same time on the field!

• Haha 2

Early enrollee corner calls bowl practice an ‘eye-opener’

Christian Tutt is known for his speed.

The 4-star cornerback flashes lightning-fast quickness as a defensive back and punt returner. In high school, he flashed that speed as a wide receiver, as well. Tutt expects that speed to translate well to early collegiate playing time.

But even Tutt marveled at the speed of the college game, which he received a small dose of during Auburn’s Peach Bowl practices.

“Bowl practice was turnt. We all got better. Monday and Tuesday was really fast-paced. The speed gets you. But it was really just more of an acclimation period. We weren’t hitting much. Me and Smoke [Quindarious Monday] just went out there and did our thing, went through the drills, were learning the plays,” Tutt said at the U.S. Army Bowl. “It was an eye-opener, especially the receivers. They’re really, really fast, ain’t going to lie to you.”

As Tutt said, most of his role was acclimation-based.

But he matched up a few times with Auburn’s receivers, mostly the freshmen or sophomores. There was one wide receiver, in particular, who caught Tutt’s eye — and exemplifies the epitome of speed among college wide receivers.

“Noah [Igbinoghene], man,” Tutt sad. “We only went up against some of the young guys, but Noah, that boy is stupid fast. Straight up. That was an eye-opener.”

Carlton Davis’ NFL departure has immediate meaning for Tutt.

For starters, he’s going to be called upon to fight for the starting job. That’s a big reason why the Tigers’ defensive coaches wanted Tutt and safety Quindarious Monday on campus some during bowl practices, so they could get acquainted. It also affects Tutt’s number selection. He’ll take on Davis’ No. 6 reputation and try to keep that killer corner mentality on the defense.

“I’ve got to be more physical. I’m physical some already, but I want to be that Carlton physical where you throw a receiver out of bounds. I’ve got to get faster, get stronger,” Tutt said. “Both of us, me and Smoke, [defensive backs] coach [Greg] Brown pulled us to the side and told us our future looked mighty bright. We came in early at a great time. He said we were looking good, learned some more of the concepts. He said we should be ready before spring ball to make pushes for the starting job.”

Tutt moved into his dorm in Auburn on Sunday night. He’ll room with Monday during the spring, but he plans to live with Anthony Schwartz once the newest wide receiver commit enrolls in the summer.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/16/2017 at 7:26 AM, ellitor said:

Trigga Tray is more than attitude. He's the QB of our D & secondary. Remember the games he hasn't played in his AU career & how discombobulated the secondary was at times. Even w/ Gus 2nd half derping we don't lose to LSU if Tray was playing, especially in the 2nd half.

Are you sure that's the correct spelling for discombobulated? Just kidding.