Preview - Norfolk State

JwgreDeux

It isn't the Christmas Morning feeling I was hoping for, but its here. Tipoff tonight vs Norfolk State is set for 7pm central in Auburn Arena. If a coach, a team, a program ever needed a loud supportive home crowd its this coach, this team, this program. This game is only about Auburn. How will this team respond to all the uncertainty surrounding it? Norfolk is not a good scoring team, averaging under 70 pts a game, ranking 250+ in the nation last year. Their best player is #3 Wade. He is a 6-4 guard who leads them in scoring and rebounding. Their starters last season were not very big, but they bring a 7 footer and 6-11 off the bench who are more big bodies than anything else. Long story short, this is the perfect team for us to come out, limit their scoring, and run away with a feel good win. 

They are good enough to frustrate that purpose if we slop around though. Norfolk was picked to finish second in their league, partly because of all the experience they return.  However, there is absolutely no reason for us to not win this game. This game may reveal some info on who the team leaders are, something that never materialized last year. 

I would expect them to be very athletic, to mix up their defenses, and to try and get out and run some, maybe even press us early on. They are going to come in trying to get a big win, we must show the resolve and grit to dig in and defend. 

As much as I am hoping for our guys to come out and play lock down defense, I expect us to get the win, but in less than convincing fashion. 

War Eagle!

• Like 5

If i was within driving distance I'd be there showing my support for Bruce and these kids! They need to see we are fully behind them despite the situation Person has put us in. At the very least, the innocent players need to know we as fans have their back!

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Wade was a senior last year and is no longer with their team. 

They do return Robinson, who is a guard that averaged about 13 ppg last year. Hopefully we can contain him better than we did Barry's guards.

Should be an interesting first game, I hope the team is more inspired than against Barry. Glad to see us playing against some size early on, it'll be "fun"(hopefully) to see how we match up without Wiley. I've heard Spencer has developed somewhat of an outside shot this offseason, it will be interesting to see if that was just a rumor or not.  

Not sure what to expect from this team after the suspensions. Still a lot of talent but I'm not sure if it competes consistently enough in this year's SEC. we need to see some of last year's problems fixed, regardless of who is on the court. Thanks for the preview @JwgreDeux

30 minutes ago, Charhair said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Wade was a senior last year and is no longer with their team. 

They do return Robinson, who is a guard that averaged about 13 ppg last year. Hopefully we can contain him better than we did Barry's guards.

Should be an interesting first game, I hope the team is more inspired than against Barry. Glad to see us playing against some size early on, it'll be "fun"(hopefully) to see how we match up without Wiley. I've heard Spencer has developed somewhat of an outside shot this offseason, it will be interesting to see if that was just a rumor or not.  

Not sure what to expect from this team after the suspensions. Still a lot of talent but I'm not sure if it competes consistently enough in this year's SEC. we need to see some of last year's problems fixed, regardless of who is on the court. Thanks for the preview @JwgreDeux

I think you’re right about Wade, of a couple sites that I use for reference one still had them on their roster.    Looks like they are returning three of their starters and most of their reserves will be juniors and seniors. Expect them to come out very aggressive defensively. 

Season is supposed to be sold out.....wondering what kind of crowd this game will draw for the first real game of the season....and the night before the Georgia game.....hope folks on campus for the football will support basketball too. 

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Season is supposed to be sold out.....wondering what kind of crowd this game will draw for the first real game of the season....and the night before the Georgia game.....hope folks on campus for the football will support basketball too. 

Georgia weekend will help i suppose but I’d be surprised to see a sell out or even near sell out quite frankly. Certainly hoping for a big crowd though. 

10 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Georgia weekend will help i suppose but I’d be surprised to see a sell out or even near sell out quite frankly. Certainly hoping for a big crowd though. 

This is not the kind of game to see a huge crowd....especially since the Barry game was sparse....but hoping the fans give support to the guys who are out there wearing the AU uniform.  

Would be nice to have 5 or 6000 perhaps for a game like this perhaps? . 

Pregame interview by CBP was pretty clear he isn't sure what the rotation is going to look like. Probably going to move Murray around spots a bit, we will see how that goes. Planning on a 9 man rotation. 

Starting line up: Harper, Brown, Heron, Murray, Spencer. Going small.