end the hot seat talk

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

It was a dominating win over the #1 team.  We finally have a QB.  We missed on a few the past couple of years.  I guess you just dislike CGM so much that you won't give him any credit.  I imagine that it wasn't the play calling in the losses this year that you think it was CGM.  You can't have it both ways.  Las couple of years our QB was hurt pretty badly.  We are finally seeing what a CGM team can do with a great defense and a good QB and line.  We didn't have this good of D in 2013 but we again had seniors on O that executed.  We are going to have some issues next year on the line but hope that they can gel early.

It's funny when folks take a comment and run to the extreme...never said he gets no credit.  You said that.  

I have my personal opinion and you are entitled to yours.

I am interested...when you say "We are finally seeing what a CGM team can do with a great defense and a good QB and line"  1. Are you referring to this whole year (Clemson and LSU games included) or just this one win? If the whole year, I personally don't like the average...the one win was great...the other two losses...not so much, and 2. Don't most coaches do well with a great defense and a good QB? I have seen some screw up...but, it is easier to win if you have all the right tools, right?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

what value does he bring?

His players fight for him every game. He inspires them to play hard every game. Coordinators game plan and call plays. HCs influence scheme, inspire players and coaches, create a culture of winning, and motivate towards excellence. Gus' main value, IMO, is how he inspires his teams to always fight for him. They love playing for him. 

absolutely. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

His players fight for him every game. He inspires them to play hard every game. Coordinators game plan and call plays. HCs influence scheme, inspire players and coaches, create a culture of winning, and motivate towards excellence. Gus' main value, IMO, is how he inspires his teams to always fight for him. They love playing for him. 

Bigbird, is your opinion that Auburn has gotten a good value from the product CGM has put out on the field the last couple of years? I don't.

I thought I recall conversations just last year about CGM losing the team, I may be wrong...but I think I recall it. Coordinators are supposed to call the plays...Bigbird, do you remember any conversations on this board about CGM refusing to let the OC dictate the play calling? I can pull up a few if we need. Culture of winning...I like the sound of that!  What is our record against ranked teams?  What is our average record over the past few years? I don't know about loving to play for him, sounds good...but, personally, I would prefer results over our players loving the head coach.  My $0.02.

I won’t apologize for having high expectations of our program.  I won’t apologize for being upset after the LSU loss.  But, I as critical as I’ve been of Gus, I also always said I want him to be successful because that’s what is best for Auburn. Right now, at this moment, what’s best for Auburn is to have Gus.  For all the disappointments he has had there is one thing you can say about him....he hasn’t lost a team yet. The players obviously believe in him or he would’ve lost them after the LSU game. He has an excellent shot at beating bama and I never would’ve thought that a few weeks ago.  Do I still have doubts about him? Yes. Am I still frustrated at missed opportunities? Yes. But all I have asked for from him is to show up to a big game with a sound offensive game plan and execute it against a big time SEC opponent...especially one named Georgia or bama....yesterday he delivered...hats off to him.  

all i know is half thee coaches names that were thrown out as a replacement coach have tanked. look at maryland, va tech, syracuse, and a few more have been in my eyes underwhelming as of late.pretty sure we discussed all those coaches at one time or another. i think gus has been overly cautious with coaching. i think he kept calling plays last year because we had so many players hurt. that being said he wants to win. and he has been cautious with change and the changes have been slow. he fixed our d. and i think he has finally learned to chill a bit on calling the offense. knowing your job is in jeopardy and having to put your future in the hands of another offensive coach when people have called you a coaching genius most of your career has to be hard. as long as he strives to do better and the kids stand behind him i will give him my support. and i am not going to want him fired if he loses to bama. hell how many folks are beating bama lately? very few. i think we are heading in the right direction and for the time being i am content with that.

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I won’t apologize for having high expectations of our program.  I won’t apologize for being upset after the LSU loss.  But, I as critical as I’ve been of Gus, I also always said I want him to be successful because that’s what is best for Auburn. Right now, at this moment, what’s best for Auburn is to have Gus.  For all the disappointments he has had there is one thing you can say about him....he hasn’t lost a team yet. The players obviously believe in him or he would’ve lost them after the LSU game. He has an excellent shot at beating bama and I never would’ve thought that a few weeks ago.  Do I still have doubts about him? Yes. Am I still frustrated at missed opportunities? Yes. But all I have asked for from him is to show up to a big game with a sound offensive game plan and execute it against a big time SEC opponent...especially one named Georgia or bama....yesterday he delivered...hats off to him.  

not taking a shot here but i think gus was still nervous concerning chip  the first few games and it was part of the learning curve. i think the trust is there now and we are starting to see the results. but that is just my opinion.........

It doesn't get any easier. Broke alot of tendencies yesterday and proved folks wrong.

Just don't give him a contract extension yet. It's just starting

1 hour ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

It was a dominating win over the #1 team.  We finally have a QB.  We missed on a few the past couple of years.  I guess you just dislike CGM so much that you won't give him any credit.  I imagine that it wasn't the play calling in the losses this year that you think it was CGM.  You can't have it both ways.  Las couple of years our QB was hurt pretty badly.  We are finally seeing what a CGM team can do with a great defense and a good QB and line.  We didn't have this good of D in 2013 but we again had seniors on O that executed.  We are going to have some issues next year on the line but hope that they can gel early.

Stop this nonsense. He blew the LSU game by taking the play calls. He blew the '16 UGA game by leaving in the qb, when simply not throwing a broken armed pick-6 wins it......and keeps us on the bubble. These are real reasons people are off the bus. Nobody just up-and-decides to hate the coach as a personality deffect. He created all of this. Most of us were won over last night. I know I was. But some weren't. This madness of trying to discredit the family members that are off the bus, which happens every single time we win a game, big or small, is just ridiculous. I'm down with coach. But for the one's who still aren't- I get it. 

16 minutes ago, REInvestingTiger said:

Bigbird, is your opinion that Auburn has gotten a good value from the product CGM has put out on the field the last couple of years? I don't.

No, I don't. I think we have underachieved the last few years including this one. I think his player utilization and stubbornness has been egregious since 2014 TAMU. That said, you can see a difference in Gus and the play calling since the LSU loss. I still wish he would utilize the players on offense better though.

17 minutes ago, REInvestingTiger said:

Bigbird, do you remember any conversations on this board about CGM refusing to let the OC dictate the play calling? 

Yes, I participated in many of them.  As I stated in another thread, yesterday Gus acted and looked like a HC. He managed each facet of the game while allowing his coordinators to run the game. It was one of his best coaching jobs in his tenure. I also stated that I hope he has regained his mojo, but he still has the potential to Gus things up. I hope yesterday was a defining moment for Gus the HC.

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And apparently, that persona carries over to recruiting which has been consistently good IMO.  Gus does come with a lot of pluses. 

Like I've said, hiring Gus was a gamble.  He's still learning on the job.  If you look at a lot of successful coaches, they actually took more years of on-the-job training  to reach their current level of success than Gus has had so far. (Caugh, caugh, Sabin.)

My greatest fear concerning Gus has always been that we would pay for all that training only to pass the finished product on to someone else to enjoy.

The LSU game really shook me up.  For a football coach who makes more than $4 million/yr to turn in a performance like that is just bafflingly inexcusable.   

(But the Georgia game came real close to excusing it. ;))  

23 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Great post. I agree 100%. 

9 minutes ago, homersapien said:

And apparently, that persona carries over to recruiting which has been consistently good IMO.

such a good point. This season, rankings wise has been our worst thus far iirc but I think it's pretty clear that will change very soon.  Plus many of the tennesee recruits are jumping ship quickly and as long as Florida is blowing in the wind coaching wise, we should be able to clean up. 

Finally, a game the entire team and staff worked together to its potential we all knew was there.  An absolutely great performance all around.  

But AU always has this potential.  The recurring problem is that it's rarely realized in the big games.

I can't believe this one UGA game is any more indicative of future success than the LSU game was a portent of future abject failure.  If Gus wants to wipe away his history as Coach Choke-O-Matic, he needs to win the rest of this season. 

MUST.WIN.OUT

47 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

You know what’s hilarious about all of this? The rumors at Arkansas are running rampant . i have some old coworkers who are saying that Gus’s wife has been looking at houses near Fayetteville and misses Arkansas. That the big boosters offered him the job and it is his if he wants . Go to hogville and that rumor is running rampant. My how things change in 24 hours 

• WarTiger changed the title to end the hot seat talk

Lol well I guess if Gus wants a little less pressure then he should go but he will still be competing with saban, lsu, and then Auburn plus still dealing with a fanbase who is probably a little less fickle than us but still has unrealistic expectations of tbat Arky program. It is funny though and I consider myself a prime example. But if I'm going to be consistent I have said all along I just wanted to see a game like yesterday and he delivered!

1 hour ago, jAUSon said:

I, for one, think he's locked in. Front office turmoil. Buyouts. Half the conference is on the market, etc. He can easily correct the problems that has him on the hot-seat. This summer I thought he had: Turn over the offense. Upgrade at qb. Start the season with known weapons (kp). But there were still 2 glaring tendencies he didn't overcome that made me madder than ever: 1. Be actually ready to play early season 2. Stop forfeiting big games by being a chicken. 

If we can escape ULM without major injuries, we will be highly competitive in the Iron Bowl, with a very good chance of winning it. 

The hot-seat idea is now nuked. 

Yes some things you just accept with your respective coach but that not being prepared and waiting until week 4 or so to know your team and having horrible mental lapses is not something we need to accept. We need him for recruiting as much as I despise saying it. We expect him to stay out of the way of the offense and be a head coach like yesterday. 

Just now, WFE12 said:

Yes some things you just accept with your respective coach but that not being prepared and waiting until week 4 or so to know your team and having horrible mental lapses is not something we need to accept. We need him for recruiting as much as I despise saying it. We expect him to stay out of the way of the offense and be a head coach like yesterday. 

It appears he may have learned some big lessons from the LSU game...I'm hoping he also learned some from the Clemson game and he has our team ready early next year and we can get off to a fast start AND finish well. 

I wrote this in a PM the week of the UGA game.

On 11/7/2017 at 2:40 PM, bigbird said:

What I really want is for Gus to get a little pissed off. I want him to feel ridiculed and disrespected.I want him to coach from an angry place.  He coached that way as an OC. He tried to score as much anf as often as he could. He wanted to embarrass people that thought they could stop his offense.  That is what I want to see.  

It was great to see it come to fruition.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I wrote this in a PM the week of the UGA game.

It was great to see it come to fruition.

Yep he took the SEC by the scrotum when he was an OC. Part of it was the chip on his shoulder due to his departure at his previous SEC institution. If it takes him having a chip on his shoulder due to AU fans expectation to coach like this , i am all for it.

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

You know what’s hilarious about all of this? The rumors at Arkansas are running rampant . i have some old coworkers who are saying that Gus’s wife has been looking at houses near Fayetteville and misses Arkansas. That the big boosters offered him the job and it is his if he wants . Go to hogville and that rumor is running rampant. My how things change in 24 hours 

Are they aware he’s going to be a grandpa and his girls are located in Atlanta and Nashville (i Think)? I doubt Kristi is trying to move further from their first grandkid unless forced to do so.

If Gus continues to manage the game like last night,  I fully want him to stay as HC. I think the agressive Gus we liked as coordinator has awoken from his hibernation since the LSU game.  His style is a perfect contrast to Saban which I still think is the best way to beat them.  I don't want a full scale change.  This defense is finally what we have been wanting since the late 80s and 90s. I am not fully on board in believing the recent change is permanent,  but hope we continue to be aggressive with the current coaching staff and philosophies. 

8 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

Are they aware he’s going to be a grandpa and his girls are located in Atlanta and Nashville (i Think)? I doubt Kristi is trying to move further from their first grandkid unless forced to do so.

Arkansas . Logic is not with them at the moment or ever tbh. I mean there are people that are convinced that even if he goes to the playoffs he has been given a timeline of when to give their boosters a yay or nay. Think about that? A guy who potentially can have a playoff birth leaving to go to Arkansas.

My perspective on Gus reminds me of Florida State in the 80's. Bobby Bowden came to FSU in the late 70's and had two very successful years right away to set expectations. They then went through several years of 7-8 win seasons and there was talk of making a change. Then, Bowden put things together as a head coach with two great coordinators (Brad Scott, Mickey Andrews). FSU then had an unprecedented run of something like 14 seasons finishing in the top 5!! When Bobby roamed the sidelines checking on players and keeping a pulse on the team and the flow of the game, everybody was happy. But, if something was going awry with the offense and he started putting on his headphones, the FSU boosters would begin to moan about here comes a bone headed play. This appears to me to be much like the Gus of 2017. I hope we're about to have a dominant run of success!! War Eagle!!

I’m not gonna list out what the good and bad qualities are of Gus.  The one quality I respect the most about him is the discipline he holds his players to.  In the last 2 years just off the top of my head he has dismissed 2 5 star WRs, 1 4 star QB and 1 5 star RB.  It says a lot about a man that holds his “boys” responsible for their actions.  

As long as he keeps his foot to the floor and let's his staff do their job, Gus will be ok. That was an impressive performance Saturday by coaches and players. I liked the mindset of all involved. 

Archived