end the hot seat talk

aubiefifty

12 hours ago, REInvestingTiger said:

If we look at the offensive play calling...does anyone here really believe CGM called those plays?  If not, what value is CGM bringing?  I can see the value of our DC, and possibly our OC.  I, for one, actually believe the more CGM is involved, the less likely our chances of a good showing.

It looks like the above words doesn't give him credit.  I know the LSU loss is tough along with Clemson both this year and last.  Last bad QB handling this year new QB.  I am not happy about those either but some of our wins this year were blowouts on some pretty decent teams.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jAUSon said:

The "I told you so's" hashing it out with the "bus jumpers". If you're in the crowd that doesn't believe Gus iced the LSU game, good for you. And if you're in the crowd that, after last night, still can't get back on the bus, good for you too. We may or may not beat the turds, but I for one am amped up that we've got a serious head of steam for bama and we're coming in swinging. I'm not ashamed to have been ready to see him gone. Right now I'm saying "Go get'em, coach". 

This is what we all should be saying. Being divisive or negative right now can have no positive impact.  Gus is not getting replaced. I was also strongly off the bus after Clemson.  I was pretty hard on Gus after LSU.  And at the end of next season we can/should revisit the topic of job security if the offense looks unprepared in the first few games, or if the "holding on to win" strategy is still an issue. Until then it's a waste of energy and we might as well enjoy the current level of play and success and come together to support the coaches and let them work (coaching and recruiting).

The best thing by far that could happen to AU is for Gus to be successful.  There is a chance for that now and we should all be pulling for him.

Since no one else is saying it...JJ was forcing Gus to call big games poorly.  He came into Gus' office every week with his game plan laid out for him.  :bananadance:

9 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Wasn’t referring to you.

well let me man up and humbly apologize.i get criticized by what articles i post on here because people hate al.com. i have no love fest for them but if an article about auburn is printed i want to know what it is good or bad. now folks are criticizing my typing. and yes i am a lazy typist so when i see something posted i might overreact.so i hope you take my apology as sincere. i thought it was another smear.........

17 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I agree 110% with you on this one bird.  I got off of the Gus bus after the Lsu game, but have managed to get a seat in the front of the bus for the time being. I hope Gus will do his part and keep me and others on the bus. I want this team to win so bad and the coaching staff to prepare this team to compete and win against anyone in college football.

Yep! Not becoming predictable again was a big part of not putting all our eggs in one basket. A punt return would not have sunk us this time. We were as unpredictable in this game as I have seen an Auburn team. We seemed to adjust to everything UGA was doing and it showed as UGA stumbled to find an answer and stop the bleeding. Gus and staff won this coaching match handily.

21 hours ago, bigbird said:

what value does he bring?

His players fight for him every game. He inspires them to play hard every game. Coordinators game plan and call plays. HCs influence scheme, inspire players and coaches, create a culture of winning, and motivate towards excellence. Gus' main value, IMO, is how he inspires his teams to always fight for him. They love playing for him. 

It is hard to argue against this. I have never seen a Gus team "give up" even in the bad loses. 

While that may be true - it is going to be hard for me to say I am back on the bus after 1 dominating win. It took 3 sub par seasons and an LSU collapse for me to make my exit. I expect a great game against bama and I expect to win a bowl game if we fall short of the playoffs. Obviously Gus is not getting fired this year. Ill be waiting for the bus after the UGA game next season. If it shows up with 9 wins I will get back on. If it shows up with 8 - im not sure. 7 or fewer and I will let it go bye and hope to never see it again.

23 hours ago, tiger88 said:

Nuke it? No way. He is off the hot seat but.it is warm pending our performance in the bama game. I expect us to win or be highly competitive there. Then, I want a solid post-season performance, whatever that involves. Gus needs consistency, period. Not 8-4 consistency. 

I want him to succeed. I loved watching the players celebrate last night. I loved watching Gus get all excited as the clock ticked down. I want more of those types of wins consistently. Not every 4 years or so.. We have the pieces in place, we just need a stubborn coach to keep learning and stop digressing. Hopefully, we are there now, but the hot seat is still there if needed. 

This.  A win like the one we had Saturday against one of our biggest rivals should NOT come around only every three to fours years.  

I’ll happily admit it. I thought Gus would need to be fired, and now it’s clear he shouldn’t be. I still have my questions long-term.

But I also said that if Auburn gets to 10-2 or 9-3 there’s no way he should be fired. I think I said I’d want to keep him if we kept things competitive with UGA and Bama. And I said I will always root for Auburn and its coach (barring misconduct). I’ve given him credit for building a formidable program.

So there are times I’m delighted to be wrong. If he’s learned some lessons from Clemson and LSU, I hope they stick.

All you people still refusing to get back on the bus makes my seat nice and comfy! :jossun: I knew he didn't just lose his smarts and go dumb. I can't explain LSU or Clemson. I just think he has to reach a certain trust level with players in order to try certain plays, hence the vanilla flavor. These awesome plays we saw at the Georgia game would have looked pretty stupid if they were not executed so well. After watching Chip Kelley break it down, do you think the KJ throwback was a Gus designed play or a Chip Lindsey designed play?

On 11/12/2017 at 9:28 AM, AUIH1 said:

Totally agree. Gus finally showed some alpha tendencies as a HC and it was much needed and appreciated.

wde

He did. I certainly give him credit for that Saturday. The question for me will be can he do it consistently. This win likely saved him for this season but this type of win is a long time coming.

I'm personally not going to call off the dogs completely unless Gus shows this type of coaching consistently. I can handle certain losses if the coach we saw Saturday was the coach in previous big games. He still has work to do to completely earn my trust and being all the way in.

Gus is certainly off the hot seat from my perspective assuming no meltdowns to finish the season. Kudos to him because i did not think it was possible after the LSU game. But he kept the team playing hard and seems to have learned from the mistakes he made in the LSU game. Gus still has plenty to prove and he can find himself right back on the hot seat if next years team takes half the season to get going and there are more insane offensive game plans. But for right now all is good in the AU world!

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

well let me man up and humbly apologize.i get criticized by what articles i post on here because people hate al.com. i have no love fest for them but if an article about auburn is printed i want to know what it is good or bad. now folks are criticizing my typing. and yes i am a lazy typist so when i see something posted i might overreact.so i hope you take my apology as sincere. i thought it was another smear.........

No need to apologize just a mix up! I enjoy the articles! 

i hate al.com cus their site always gives me fits.......but i like to know what the haters say as well as fans...........and thanx. i am an old geezer and this puter stuff is not my bag tho i am learning! WAR EAGLE BABY!

I am not sure how much the people wanting Gus gone have to go on, but if Georgia really was good enough to be the #1 team in the playoff rankings, what makes beating Alabama any different?  It would probably look better for Auburn if we do not keep on changing coaches.  Right now we look like a pretty good 2 loss team.  I think our team probably grew a lot since blowing that lead to LSU.  

14 hours ago, jAUSon said:

The "I told you so's" hashing it out with the "bus jumpers". If you're in the crowd that doesn't believe Gus iced the LSU game, good for you. And if you're in the crowd that, after last night, still can't get back on the bus, good for you too. We may or may not beat the turds, but I for one am amped up that we've got a serious head of steam for bama and we're coming in swinging. I'm not ashamed to have been ready to see him gone. Right now I'm saying "Go get'em, coach". 

Your avatar offends me!  I just saw this the other day...

Gus has impressed me more than I ever thought he could after the Lsu game. You have to give him kudos for taking this team and leading them down a path of winning and not one of disarray of which easily could have evolved into. We have seen teams that have a loss like the Lsu loss, never recover and wind up getting blown out the rest of the season.  This happened in 2012 after a close loss to Lsu and that was the end of the Chizik era.

This could have happened to us, but Gus and his staff reached deep down and pulled this team together and have them playing lights out on both sides of the ball. After a loss to MSU that with

4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Since no one else is saying it...JJ was forcing Gus to call big games poorly.  He came into Gus' office every week with his game plan laid out for him.  :bananadance:

You are on to something big!  Do this again for the bammer game, and then we know what the problem was all along!  It is fun watching the rerun of the game at the moment. Watching the rerun is almost as fun as the real live game.

I give CGM all the credit for the win on Saturday. It was epic and much needed.  I also still lay all the blame on him for the LSU and Clemson losses. I am concerned that the type of LSU loss will be an every year thing... hope I am wrong..  He certainly had our guys ready to play on Saturday and they love playing for him. The entire team  could have quit after the LSU game but they didn't.. Just need to keep the mo going... 

3 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Your avatar offends me!  I just saw this the other day...

Rod and Stan are awful.  Can't wait for the next guy up.

25 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Gus has impressed me more than I ever thought he could after the Lsu game. You have to give him kudos for taking this team and leading them down a path of winning and not one of disarray of which easily could have evolved into. We have seen teams that have a loss like the Lsu loss, never recover and wind up getting blown out the rest of the season.  This happened in 2012 after a close loss to Lsu and that was the end of the Chizik era.

This could have happened to us, but Gus and his staff reached deep down and pulled this team together and have them playing lights out on both sides of the ball. After a loss to MSU that with

You are on to something big!  Do this again for the bammer game, and then we know what the problem was all along!  It is fun watching the rerun of the game at the moment. Watching the rerun is almost as fun as the real live game.

but what has he done for us lately?

9 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

One question.  What was the point of Gus challenging the spot with the game pretty much in hand?

Because had it not been a first down, we would’ve gotten the ball back and preserved a 30 point win. 

Archived