end the hot seat talk

aubiefifty

I've curiously not seen any mention on here regarding Gus' post game presser where he was asked about job rumors (unless I missed it). He definitely was pissed IMO, and I don't blame him. He wasn't pissed about the question, but he was pissed about the situation it seemed. It made me feel like he may actually be seriously considering leaving and "durn" is going to be the next "pinebox". I noticed he didn't deny anything.

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/video-malzahn-postgame-2 : Fast forward to 3:10 to hear Philip Marshall ask his question and watch Gus tense up

Oh yeah, and couple this with Gus not even enjoying himself or the win after we beat down TAMU, per Kristi where she had to remind him to smile and relax. I think the writing is on the wall.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More than likely, Gus is just irritated more than anything.  He's been rumored to have a hot ass since the downward spiral started in Nov 2014...he's had a fan base and an Administration all but ready to tar and feather him for a couple of years now.....all of a sudden he fields a team that destroyed #1 rival UGA and folks have the nerve to ask him about leaving for a job he hasn't even been offered that's not even open at the moment?

He's gone from hot seat to a hot commodity with one freaking win?  WTH?

9 minutes ago, keesler said:

More than likely, Gus is just irritated more than anything.  He's been rumored to have a hot ass since the downward spiral started in Nov 2014...he's had a fan base and an Administration all but ready to tar and feather him for a couple of years now.....all of a sudden he fields a team that destroyed #1 rival UGA and folks have the nerve to ask him about leaving for a job he hasn't even been offered that's not ever open at the moment?

He's gone from hot seat to a hot commodity with one freaking win?  WTH?

I agree with you it's absurd and I understand why he's irritated. I think this is why he's considering leaving, though.

It also means he's probably not cut out to lead a championship program if he can't handle criticism for delivering 7 and 8 win seasons with top 10 nationally ranked recruiting classes.

18 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

What if Arkansas offers Malzahn and he takes the job after the SEC championship game. Who should we go after? I like the idea of trying to get Bob Stoops or Gary Patterson. I doubt he would stay with Auburn if we made it to the 4 team playoff. Due to recruiting,  I'm guessing Arkansas would want Gus with them shortly after our game with Georgia if we beat UAT.

If Arky wants him bad enough they can wait until January like UGA did with Smart.

Just to throw this out, read the resume on Scott Frost. Internship under major NFL coaches and college coaches. Been steadily climbing the ladder. Major influence from New England HC on defense and running an organization, Tampa Bay Bucs DB and later as position coach and under Chip Kelly at Oregon for Offense, and on and on. Still a young guy.

Don't think Gus is gone in 2018 and maybe for the better especially if we can get to 10+ wins and have two consecutive seasons of improving beyond the 8 game win barrier.

Gus is stubborn, but not stupid. I don’t think Arky is a serious option for him. If it is, he has seriously flawed judgement. They have fired Nutt, Petrino, Smith, and soon Bert, all in the past 10 years. That doesn’t sound like a place where there is less pressure. Add the roster he has next year an beyond at AU, compared to the complete rebuild necessary at Arky and it would be career suicide. He has the pieces in place to have sustained success at AU: great roster, excellent staff, and recruiting momentum. Those things, plus no JJ and Gus has a much better gig at AU than Arky can possibly offer. This has agent gamesmanship written all over it. 

Oh yeah, BEAT BAMA. WDE!!!

22 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Gus is stubborn, but not stupid. I don’t think Arky is a serious option for him. If it is, he has seriously flawed judgement. They have fired Nutt, Petrino, Smith, and soon Bert, all in the past 10 years. That doesn’t sound like a place where there is less pressure. Add the roster he has next year an beyond at AU, compared to the complete rebuild necessary at Arky and it would be career suicide. He has the pieces in place to have sustained success at AU: great roster, excellent staff, and recruiting momentum. Those things, plus no JJ and Gus has a much better gig at AU than Arky can possibly offer. This has agent gamesmanship written all over it. 

Oh yeah, BEAT BAMA. WDE!!!

This Sexton guy is like the godfather of agents it seems 

2 hours ago, auskull said:

Just to throw this out, read the resume on Scott Frost. Internship under major NFL coaches and college coaches. Been steadily climbing the ladder. Major influence from New England HC on defense and running an organization, Tampa Bay Bucs DB and later as position coach and under Chip Kelly at Oregon for Offense, and on and on. Still a young guy.

Don't think Gus is gone in 2018 and maybe for the better especially if we can get to 10+ wins and have two consecutive seasons of improving beyond the 8 game win barrier.

He is going to make some power 5 school very happy. I don't see how UF isn't all over him

7 hours ago, Tiger said:

I've curiously not seen any mention on here regarding Gus' post game presser where he was asked about job rumors (unless I missed it). He definitely was pissed IMO, and I don't blame him. He wasn't pissed about the question, but he was pissed about the situation it seemed. It made me feel like he may actually be seriously considering leaving and "durn" is going to be the next "pinebox". I noticed he didn't deny anything.

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/video-malzahn-postgame-2 : Fast forward to 3:10 to hear Philip Marshall ask his question and watch Gus tense up

Oh yeah, and couple this with Gus not even enjoying himself or the win after we beat down TAMU, per Kristi where she had to remind him to smile and relax. I think the writing is on the wall.

???

I just don't see what you see.  I see a focused Coach M. matter-of-factly, his-style, refusing to be sidetracked by a series of domino what-ifs.  I didn't even see the tension.  The UGA victory changed a lot...including his countenance...and our hopes.  The facts of the matter remain to be seen:

1.  Is this progress permanent (as in, on the permanent upswing)?

2.  Only he knows what he is thinking.  Part of coaching in our generation is dealing with the ups and downs, the praise and the criticism, that inevitably come with the results, some of which are within your control and some, not.  If you do what you do for an Audience of ONE, then neither praise nor criticism can touch you.

:wareagle:

20 hours ago, Tiger said:

I agree with you it's absurd and I understand why he's irritated. I think this is why he's considering leaving, though.

It also means he's probably not cut out to lead a championship program if he can't handle criticism for delivering 7 and 8 win seasons with top 10 nationally ranked recruiting classes.

I have not seen one smidgen of anything that claims Gus is considering leaving. Where did you get this information? Wishful thinking from the bammers, who fear Gus is all I've seen to date.

Part 2: Who got those recruiting classes here?

Part 3: Gus had had every single one of his Auburn teams ranked in the top ten at some point during the second half of the season. Seems to match the recruiting very well to me.

17 hours ago, auskull said:

Let somebody else give Frost OJT. With an overall 16-7 record at a lightweight school he's probably not ready for prime time just yet.

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Let somebody else give Frost OJT. With an overall 16-7 record at a lightweight school he's probably not ready for prime time just yet.

IF it's not Frost, our next coach...next season or not too many seasons thereafter will be a SF look alike......short term flashy record at some mid level school....then off the goes before proving he can recruit,  deal with the power structure, etc, etc.  I'm guessing that our next HC whenever that might occur will have fewer than 20 Power 5 wins......JMO

BUT about Saturday.....can we hold bama to fewer than 28 points?   I'm thinking yes....

14 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

???

I just don't see what you see.  I see a focused Coach M. matter-of-factly, his-style, refusing to be sidetracked by a series of domino what-ifs.  I didn't even see the tension.  The UGA victory changed a lot...including his countenance...and our hopes.  The facts of the matter remain to be seen:

1.  Is this progress permanent (as in, on the permanent upswing)?

2.  Only he knows what he is thinking.  Part of coaching in our generation is dealing with the ups and downs, the praise and the criticism, that inevitably come with the results, some of which are within your control and some, not.  If you do what you do for an Audience of ONE, then neither praise nor criticism can touch you.

:wareagle:

Hey I don't necessarily disagree with you I just totally understand where he's coming from if he's not happy because the majority of the fanbase has been railing on him for the last 24 months and his bosses have apparently told him to change his ways which I'm sure made him less than happy. And as Kristi Malzahn alluded to in saying he was not even enjoying winning anymore -- and that was after a big TAMU win. So while I'm not referencing some publicized fact I'm just putting 2 and 2 together. Hey I could be definitely wrong, as I am most of the time ;D.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I have not seen one smidgen of anything that claims Gus is considering leaving. Where did you get this information? Wishful thinking from the bammers, who fear Gus is all I've seen to date.

Part 2: Who got those recruiting classes here?

Part 3: Gus had had every single one of his Auburn teams ranked in the top ten at some point during the second half of the season. Seems to match the recruiting very well to me.

I'm just going on what's out there. It's just conjecture and I'm not plugged in to anything or an insider so I'm just putting my 2 cents out there. As I noted above I was just kind of putting together some of the stories out there -- one is straight from his wifes mouth as was mentioned in the ULM broadcast. And I personally felt his demeanor change while watching the video, nobody else has to agree.

Part 2: Yup Gus gets every ounce of credit for landing those top 10 classes.

Part 3: Nope, sandwiching a 7 win season with two 8 win seasons is not matching the recruiting. Maybe it's just my opinion and this opinion, which is shared by many, is why he could feel like a change of scenery would be best for him.

Take this for what it’s worth but Clay Travis said “reliable” people have told him Gus is halfway out the door.  He feels he’s been unfairly criticized over the past two years.  To me this is a loser mentality.  I’ve been on the Gus bus through all this garbage but if he wants to tuck his tail because his feelings are hurt so be it.  They’ve got Waffle House in Arkansas.

Scott Frost is either going UF or Nebraska where he played.  I think this is why Chip hasn’t been announced at UF yet.  

Sumlin to UCLA and Jimbo to Tamu is a hot rumor.

UT wants Gruden or Wake’s coach.

Names I don’t want to see associated with Auburn: Kiffin, Briles, Mullen, or Strong.  

Chad Morris is the man IMO if Gus leaves.  No major offensive changes would be needed and we could keep Steele since he’s in it for the Alabama retirement $$ anyway

14 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Take this for what it’s worth but Clay Travis said “reliable” people have told him Gus is halfway out the door.  He feels he’s been unfairly criticized over the past two years.  To me this is a loser mentality.  I’ve been on the Gus bus through all this garbage but if he wants to tuck his tail because his feelings are hurt so be it.  They’ve got Waffle House in Arkansas.

Scott Frost is either going UF or Nebraska where he played.  I think this is why Chip hasn’t been announced at UF yet.  

Names I don’t want to see associated with Auburn: Kiffin, Briles, Mullen, or Strong.  

Chad Morris is the man IMO if Gus leaves.  No major offensive changes would be needed and we could keep Steele since he’s in it for the Alabama retirement $$ anyway

Good post. Humility to remain teachable in all seasons cannot be understated. If you own your wins, you have to own your failures. True for all of us, imperative for those who would inspirationally lead.  I've read and lived too much John Maxwell. I agree with your no-list for Auburn and add "Muschump" as well.

If CGM were to leave, Mushchamp would be in the running if past history has anything to do with it.  Bob Stoops would be my first call.   Kiffin would be the hire that would piss bama fans off the most.   Petrino would be the hire that would provide the most consistent level of success.   Briles would bring a high flying offensive show and Strong would bring the best defense.  Of course, this is just my opinion 

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Could not disagree more....I'm betting this is the reason behind a good percentage of divorces and people quitting their jobs.    For some reason folks figure if a guy earns a lot of money they should be able to say what they want...and the guy should take it.       Sorry, but from my observation,  the world and life doesn't work that way.   Try that with your spouse or children and see how long that relationship lasts if that person has options available.

Otherwise, good points.......some pretty good coaches gonna be moving ....either voluntary or involuntary and I'm betting  most  of the schools they depart from will not improve their coaching staff with the change.    Short term mentality prevailing ....coaches who are sprinters come in ....make a quick splash and then when "normal" sets in, the alums are ready for them to go. 

PS....interesting how aubaseball could name the five least attractive candidates I could think of to be the face of Auburn University.  

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Could not disagree more....I'm betting this is the reason behind a good percentage of divorces and people quitting their jobs.    For some reason folks figure if a guy earns a lot of money they should be able to say what they want...and the guy should take it.       Sorry, but from my observation,  the world and life doesn't work that way.   Try that with your spouse or children and see how long that relationship lasts if that person has options available.

Otherwise, good points.......some pretty good coaches gonna be moving ....either voluntary or involuntary and I'm betting  most  of the schools they depart from will not improve their coaching staff with the change.    Short term mentality prevailing ....coaches who are sprinters come in ....make a quick splash and then when "normal" sets in, the alums are ready for them to go. 

PS....interesting how aubaseball could name the five least attractive candidates I could think of to be the face of Auburn University.  

Amen to your PS...and now cue the perennial debate as to how, should, and why the interpretation of the Auburn Creed might, can, and often does shape the hiring process...in three, two, one... 

More distraction, obvious timing. We're blessed to be in a really good spot.  I think I'll hunker down and savor it for awhile.:wareagle:

4 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

We’d all be okay with Jimbo right? 

Over Petrino 100x yes

I think we need to re-open your "so who do you want as next coach?" thread

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Over Petrino 100x yes

I think we need to re-open your "so who do you want as next coach?" thread

If you can find it to bump lol. Jimbo knows how to recruit and would bring some flare. He’d keep Steele and probably all the defensive staff. Never understood the Petrino love

Archived