end the hot seat talk

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

That's' not what is going on in my view at least.  Gus is at the top of his field in a competitive business...and I think it is more a matter of how much BS you take from mostly unaccomplished  people before you tell them to stick it.   

You mean Jay Jacobs.  Well that unaccomplished person is no longer in the picture.

wde

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

It is a great analogy. But Arky has fired 4 coaches the past 10 years (assuming Bert gets fired soon). There isn’t less pressure there. Every SEC fan base has an exaggerated expectation for their program. And you’re still competing in the SEC West without top 10 recruiting classes and a Steele/Garner/T Will defense. 

Petrino lied to the AD about an affair with a staffer so not win lose based.  John L Smith was interim for 2 years so no way he could bring in recruits.  I can’t remember what happened to Nutt.  Bert is the only one in awhile that was given time to recruit and build but he failed.  I feel like 7-8 wins and .500 in the Sec will keep you employed there for awhile.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yes...50/50

Interesting.  If so, good luck to Gus at Arky and I would look forward to the possibility of an upgrade on AU's part.

wde

The one qualifier I can’t wrap my head around is why does it hinge on the Iron Bowl?  I’ve heard a couple experts say that now.  $1 to Bill Curry

28 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Petrino lied to the AD about an affair with a staffer so not win lose based.  John L Smith was interim for 2 years so no way he could bring in recruits.  I can’t remember what happened to Nutt.  Bert is the only one in awhile that was given time to recruit and build but he failed.  I feel like 7-8 wins and .500 in the Sec will keep you employed there for awhile.

Bert’s last three years before this year: 7-6, 8-5, 7-6. Apparently 7 or 8 wins isn’t good enough in Arky. 

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

You mean Jay Jacobs.  Well that unaccomplished person is no longer in the picture.

wde

could be...but I suspect the list is pretty long...:)

30 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Bert’s last three years before this year: 7-6, 8-5, 7-6. Apparently 7 or 8 wins isn’t good enough in Arky. 

8 wins at arky this year and he would probably still be there next year ....seems that BB was probably OK if the trend looked better.... but  4 wins this was not enough....especially when the team was not often competitive. 

Every school has it's expectations...... and it's potential.  

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

8 wins at arky this year and he would probably still be there next year ....seems that BB was probably OK if the trend looked better.... but  4 wins this was not enough....especially when the team was not often competitive. 

Every school has it's expectations...... and it's potential.  

Yes, expectations  at Arky may be a little lower, but he's going to have less resources to attain them. No top 10 recruiting classes, less prominent staff, no Jordan-Hare, etc...So the pressure will be the same. My point remains that this whole notion is highly unlikely to happen. 

Beat Bama. 

I forget which sports show I happened across this afternoon. They started discussing coaching rumors, someone on the side mentioned a possible Gus to Arky move and both hosts broke out laughing. The notion is just that silly.

JMO. Add Gus to the AU AD Search Committee. Same for Coach Pearl or the coach of the next highest revenue producing sport.  What do the coaches of the 3 highest revenue producing AU sports programs need more of and less of from the next AD?  :wareagle:

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

could be...but I suspect the list is pretty long...:)

Who else has been telling Gus how to coach in such a way that would make Gus want to take his ball and go to Arky?

wde

Archived