KJ an Every Down Back

AuburnNTexas

Earlier this year I mentioned that KJ had hit the weight room and put on muscle and could possibly be an every down back.  Many people jumped in and said while he has the size to be an every down back his running style is not conducive to it and he could not carry the load. Then the early hamstring pull in an early game with no contact and it was obvious all the naysayers were right. Yet KJ kept putting up good numbers even though it was obvious he was not full speed he had a couple of runs in earlier games he could have taken to the house but he would not hit top gear to protect the hammy. Slowly the hammy has healed and as it has healed he has gotten better and better till right now he is the dominate back in the SEC.  The O-line has been solid but not great KJ finds holes or bounces outside when there wasn't much space.

The last 3 weeks he has proven how good he is.  25-30 carries a game, great pass blocker, great catching the ball out of the backfield.  KJ has quietly become my MVP on this surprising Auburn team.

Thanks AnT......yep looks like a different guy and while we worry about him getting the ball 25+ times a game, I'm wondering how Georgia with reputedly the two best RBs in the SEC only gives them the ball 10 times each in the game?  AU's D was playing great but neither of those guys ever had a chance to get into the flow of the game.     

RBs can get over-used but for years I read of the philosophy of feeding a guy like Bo or Cadillac or Tre over and over is the way to do it....waiting on the big breakout. . 

Nice to see what KJ can do as the feature back and yesterday was his coming out party as far as the national media was concerned. 

I was wrong about KJ, and I happily admit it. I knew the kid was a baller and had guts, but he is a fluid runner and has uncanny ability to squeeze through holes and find the tough yards too.  He's as tough as they come and finds success into the teeth of some of the best front sevens in the country.  He really is something special. 

I was totally wrong about Kerryon as well. I thought he was weak and injury prone.  Man he has proved me wrong this season.  He seems to get better every week.

Yep, He is one of our BEST all round RBs ever. He is an every down back. His power has to me what has made him complete. 

I was glad we kept him in there, and not put in KM in this game. I didn't want any TOs and missed blocking on pass plays.

KJ has next week to rest. (OFC Malzahn will probably run him 30 times again huh? lol)

I agree with everything said in this thread

kj should be sec player of the year

all American 

heisman consideration 

just a great young man

5 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Earlier this year I mentioned that KJ had hit the weight room and put on muscle and could possibly be an every down back.  Many people jumped in and said while he has the size to be an every down back his running style is not conducive to it and he could not carry the load. Then the early hamstring pull in an early game with no contact and it was obvious all the naysayers were right. Yet KJ kept putting up good numbers even though it was obvious he was not full speed he had a couple of runs in earlier games he could have taken to the house but he would not hit top gear to protect the hammy. Slowly the hammy has healed and as it has healed he has gotten better and better till right now he is the dominate back in the SEC.  The O-line has been solid but not great KJ finds holes or bounces outside when there wasn't much space.

The last 3 weeks he has proven how good he is.  25-30 carries a game, great pass blocker, great catching the ball out of the backfield.  KJ has quietly become my MVP on this surprising Auburn team.

I owe KJ an apology and have actually told him this in person. I didn't believe he would ever be an every down back, but he is not only that he has become the SEC POY.

1 minute ago, austudnt23 said:

I owe KJ an apology and have actually told him this in person. I didn't believe he would ever be an every down back, but he is not only that he has become the SEC POY.

Did you tell him Ol' Loof has been riding with him since he was a freshman?? Am I making it weird? Dangit, I always make it weird.

I just feel shame for being so wrong about such a good player. Thought he'd be a role player. Didn't think he had the size, the strength, the durability, the running style... 

I hate myself. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

I just feel shame for being so wrong about such a good player. Thought he'd be a role player. Didn't think he had the size, the strength, the durability, the running style... 

I hate myself. 

You deserve some credit for adopting a perfectly appropriate attitude about this. Not much, but some. 

:Sing:

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I hate myself. 

No question the guy has developed physically and as a runner.....a different player from his freshman year though he has been one of my favorites from Day #1....liked his style, ability to catch a pass and seemed like a "good guy".....the kind of player we sometimes call an  "Auburn Man"..  I'm happy for his success. 

The good thing is when he gets drafted next year, he won't have to be. IMO, He fits the mold of a Kareem Hunt even Alin Kamara. Not necessarily with speed, but the fact is, he does a little bit of everything very well. Teams are moving to those types of backs as you seen early on with the Patriots and James White. Now, look at the Saints, Chiefs, and Panthers. It is a good time for KJ

I think he's an underrated option in the passing game as well! Throughout the past few years I have wished that we could get more use of our backs in the passing game. Chandler Cox is a dangerous weapon when used as well. Kerryon rolling out in a flat is a deadly wrinkle to add to the game.

I wonder if Malzahn will hold out Kerryon and give him a much needed rest next week. He needs to all rested and 100% in 2 weeks. Any new news on Kam Pettway and Kam Martin?

3 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I wonder if Malzahn will hold out Kerryon and give him a much needed rest next week. He needs to all rested and 100% in 2 weeks. Any new news on Kam Pettway and Kam Martin?

I would have to guess that he plays the first half to rack up some stats. They keep mentioning how he should get national attention. They'll try to get 200+ yards and 3 TDs. Then give the young kids some playing time. I just hope Malik and the backup RBs get the entire 2nd half to play.

Just now, Zeek said:

I would have to guess that he plays the first half to rack up some stats. They keep mentioning how he should get national attention. They'll try to get 200+ yards and 3 TDs. Then give the young kids some playing time. I just hope Malik and the backup RBs get the entire 2nd half to play.

Yup. You reward your leaders in these games if you can, and you also don't want any rust to accumulate. Everything is clicking right now and you want to make sure everyone stays sharp...

... for a half lol.

2 hours ago, djg0017 said:

The Steelers fan KJ is must’ve been watching Leveon and taking notes. I see lots of Bell in him. His patience is outstanding

Exact comparison ive been making. His patience for lanes is fun to watch. 

He's so good and has improved each year, but this year he's crushing it. Jeez, remember how bleak things looked when he pulled that hammy? He very rarely gets tackled by the first guy to reach him, he's so damn fun to watch.

Archived