Next year's team

shabby

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

Yes and I also forgot Big Cat somehow.

Also, Tyrone Truesdell has played effectively this season in a very limited role. Has come a long way since fall camp.

1 minute ago, aufan57 said:

Also, Tyrone Truesdell has played effectively this season in a very limited role. Has come a long way since fall camp.

Yes!!! So until that young secondary gets things clickin we can rely on the d-line.

17 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

I wouldn't assume KJ goes pro just yet. Kid loves Auburn and is the type of kid who would stay. It would be smart if he can get a 1st or 3nd round grade but if not I believe he stays. He will have KP back next year also barring unforseen circunstances.

Everyone said the same  thing about Cam Newton.  Interesting how millions of  dollars can convince someone to leave Auburn

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

Everyone said the same  thing about Cam Newton.  Interesting how millions of  dollars can convince someone to leave Auburn

Being the #1 overall pick as a QB is quite a bit different than being a 2-3 round as a RB.

I think if you're a RB depending on what you need to work on you go pro as early as possible. What would KJ's weaknesses be on an NFL scouting report? Injury history? He can put that to bed with a 100% healthy year. He picks up blitzes pretty well. Our system will always be a negative in the pro scouting world so another year doesn't help or hurt him there. He has shown he has incredible hands in the opportunities he has had which is a big plus. Lets see how it shakes out.

Also if I'm Holland I go pro. NFL is starving for pass rushers and he's the man. He's shown steady improvement in every single season he's been here and has blossomed into a real force.

Carlton Davis may have a high enough draft projection to go. If he's getting a 1-2 round grade I think he bolts.

3 hours ago, WDEKC said:

Being the #1 overall pick as a QB is quite a bit different than being a 2-3 round as a RB.

Yeah, and a 7th round pick will make no less than $390000.00.  Now, I may not be as good at math as @StatTiger but I believe $390000 is $390000 more  than what he makes right now.  That is assuming he is a 7th round pick.  I don't know  why fans always say, but he loves Auburn, FSU, Miss State, Ga Tech, UGA, UF, he will never leave.  99 times out of 100, they leave.  I  bet you  a Toomers lemonade!

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

Yeah, and a 7th round pick will make no less than $390000.00.  Now, I may not be as good at math as @StatTiger but I believe $390000 is $390000 more  than what he makes right now.  That is assuming he is a 7th round pick.  I don't know  why fans always say, but he loves Auburn, FSU, Miss State, Ga Tech, UGA, UF, he will never leave.  99 times out of 100, they leave.  I  bet you  a Toomers lemonade!

Obviously it's more than what he makes now, but the further away from the 1st round you are, the less a team will have invested in you and quicker they will be to cut. It's not that simple that just getting drafted makes you guaranteed money. Guaranteed money is only for those going in the 1st and some 2nd round. 1st round is pretty much guaranteed all 4 years of the rookie contract, 2nd sometimes 2 years guaranteed. That is a massive difference than a league minimum contract with no guarantees.

He obviously could also be running the risk of injury and never getting any money if he comes back another year.

I'd say for anyone with a 1st or 2nd round grade they should go, no questions asked.....after that I think there are many more decisions to be made as there are far fewer guarantees further down the draft.

My question: is Kerryon graduating early? He's a student first and I think that matters more to him than most. So if he isn't going to graduate until next December, he'll stay. If he's graduating in May though.. he might decide to go. That will probably be an extremely hard choice for him to make.

8 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

People actually thought Cam was coming back? Wow

I personally think KJ stays. Very few Rb's are taken in the 1st round like they used to be and if they are it is usually toward the end of the round. The NFL is now predicated as being a mostly passing league. Not saying backs aren't used, but they are no longer at the top of the wish list as they were 10 years ago. It's all about QB's, OL, DL and elite WR's. 

Also on the. Holland topic! As good as he has been, I believe he needs another year to fine tune and dominate. His stock will def rise after this season, but he would unlikely be taken in first three rounds. One more year like this, could raise his stock substantially. 

6 hours ago, WFE12 said:

You never heard that?  Yeah.  Cam loves Auburn. Gene Chizik is like a father to him.(which confused the hell out of me because from what have been told Cam already has a father) He wants to repeat. 

14 hours ago, rhughes said:

I haven't seen Paul James III the last 2 games.  Any info on him?  I think the last game he played in was Arkansas. 

I’m not sure if he’s injured or not but TD Moultry has been playing his backup role lately.  

My expectations for next years team and at this point we can only go with the info we have so probably needs to be player specific.

Strength training/agility training will be key for several players.  The 2 I can see the potential for next year with better strength are Kim and Cannella.  Still not giving up on Sal he just needs to get to around 245-255 with that 6-5 frame and keep his fluidity.  He doesn’t have to be a burner so size and strength can really make a huge difference for him.  

Young safeties have to get stronger and improve tackling.  Become the guys that stay in the film room learning to read plays and formations.  They will however still make mistakes.  

Find someone to be the coach over special teams.  Make it their responsibility over all of them.  (I think special teams coordinator this year is kind of just a title and it’s more by committee).  With our team speed and athletes there is no reason we can’t be solid to dominant in these areas.  MSTGA... make special teams great again

Another issue going into next year that must be addressed:  Every year under Gus (except 2014) we have looked completely clueless at the beginning of the year.  It has taken 3-5 games to really figure out who we are each year. That cannot continue!  Our coaching staff, starting with the HC, really needs to evaluate how we use the off-season and make necessary changes to our preparation so this doesn’t continue. 

We may have to go juco or senior transfer at some positions. My guess is D and O line and maybe safety. JMHO

14 hours ago, WFE12 said:

LOL.  Who seriously thought that after the LSU game in 2010?

wde

4 hours ago, WarTim said:

We may have to go juco or senior transfer at some positions. My guess is D and O line and maybe safety. JMHO

DL juco or grad transfer may be a waste of a roster spot unless they are truly elite. Even with a few guys leaving, our DL is still pretty stacked and I'd rather get elite freshmen on campus to fill depth than an older player to fill depth.

6 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Another issue going into next year that must be addressed:  Every year under Gus (except 2014) we have looked completely clueless at the beginning of the year.  It has taken 3-5 games to really figure out who we are each year. That cannot continue!  Our coaching staff, starting with the HC, really needs to evaluate how we use the off-season and make necessary changes to our preparation so this doesn’t continue. 

I think a big reason for this is Gus builds the offense around his QB and most years we have had a new starter at QB from the previous years. If Stidham stays, Gus already knows what he has so hopefully won't need to tinker as much at the beginning of the season as he has in year's past. The biggest challenge next year will be finding the right combo on the O line. 

7 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I feel pretty good about this. I think a lot of the problem this year dealt with blocking for new schemes. Hopefully that learning curve is done with going forward in our system!

Archived