Butch Jones resigns/fired

ValleyTiger

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate it for Butch, but everybody saw this coming.  He’s a nice guy, but just did not have what it took to lead the Vols.  I wish him all the best.

Two head coaches gone in the SEC and it's not even mid-November.  I assume Matt Luke will not get the full time gig at Ole Miss and Big Bert will be gone by year end at the latest.  Sumlin would appear to be done as well.  Anybody's guess on Barry Odom.  If Mullen moves up to Tennessee or more likely Florida, that's got to be a historic year for movement among SEC coaches.  No wonder Myer and Franklin wanted out.

9 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Two head coaches gone in the SEC and it's not even mid-November.  I assume Matt Luke will not get the full time gig at Ole Miss and Big Bert will be gone by year end at the latest.  Sumlin would appear to be done as well.  Anybody's guess on Barry Odom.  If Mullen moves up to Tennessee or more likely Florida, that's got to be a historic year for movement among SEC coaches.  No wonder Myer and Franklin wanted out.

Mason probably isn't safe at Vandy. He's 0-6 SEC, probably will finish 1-7 with a win over UT.

2 minutes ago, hutchids said:

Mason probably isn't safe at Vandy. He's 0-6 SEC, probably will finish 1-7 with a win over UT.

So the list of "who's safe" would be easier throw out...Saban, Smart and Muschamp.  Stoops, Malzahn and Orgeron for today.

I assume Mullen will simply name his price when the traditional power programs come calling.  Although I can't stand him for what he and his wife pulled with Cam, he is probably the most proven guy out there who is available.

42 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

I hate it for Butch, but everybody saw this coming.  He’s a nice guy, but just did not have what it took to lead the Vols.  I wish him all the best.

You could argue Kiffin might have worked if given time, but UT has been through 3 coaches in 9 years in the weaker SEC division.   The program is a mess.   Getting the kind of coach they need will take lots of cash and a long contract.  Or they need to concentrate on basketball. 

Despite my doubts about Gus, the situation with UT football makes me realize how much worse things could be.  That’s a proud program with great tradition and it’s hard to believe they have been so irrelevant for so long.

1 hour ago, WeagleAU said:

Yep....no reason to dislike a guy like him.....just over his head in the SEC and guess the "debacle" ...can I use that word?  with Missouri yesterday was the last straw.  

Expect they would have liked to go to the end of the season but like the gator players, looks like the vol players have called it a season. 

44 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Apparently Butch has called all of the commits to tell them he was fired. He is telling them to find another school.  Wow! 

If true, good luck finding another gig Butch...super unprofessional. 

2 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Not as bad as Kiffen who tried to take his with him to USCw.

Obviously no good will in that break up.  

2 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

That is the kind of thing that sticks with you too, and it is just purely stupid.  In 2017, one cannot reasonably expect any text message or phone call they make to come with any deniability.  Texts are too easy to screenshot, phone calls too easy to record, and social media means you can quickly post about it within a timeframe that call logs can confirm.

6 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

So the list of "who's safe" would be easier throw out...Saban, Smart and Muschamp.  Stoops, Malzahn and Orgeron for today.

I assume Mullen will simply name his price when the traditional power programs come calling.  Although I can't stand him for what he and his wife pulled with Cam, he is probably the most proven guy out there who is available.

Mullen will get a raise this year any way you look at it.

3 hours ago, around4ever said:

Apparently Butch has called all of the commits to tell them he was fired. He is telling them to find another school.  Wow! 

16 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Mullen will get a raise this year any way you look at it.

If I were Mullen, I would let my agent float my name, and perhaps even interview for a job or two.  I would then dodge the Florida/Tennessee meatgrinder and stay put at Mississippi State, with a raise.  Mullen has a very realistic chance to become the best coach in program history, at a program that does not expect to contend for their division title on an annual basis; the same program that has already made him a multi-millionaire.

4 hours ago, Strychnine said:

If I were Mullen, I would let my agent float my name, and perhaps even interview for a job or two.  I would then dodge the Florida/Tennessee meatgrinder and stay put at Mississippi State, with a raise.  Mullen has a very realistic chance to become the best coach in program history, at a program that does not expect to contend for their division title on an annual basis; the same program that has already made him a multi-millionaire.

He could do that and everything you say is absolutely true, but is he that guy that sits in his current position bc it's comfortable and safe...or does he fight for the chance to become better? 

Merry Christmas, sh***er's full!

7 hours ago, tigerfangs said:

He could do that and everything you say is absolutely true, but is he that guy that sits in his current position bc it's comfortable and safe...or does he fight for the chance to become better? 

Merry Christmas, sh***er's full!

He has already elevated Mississippi State from where it was when he got there, and he may very well believe that he can hit the next level right where he is at.  I think he would be a good hire if Tennessee or Florida hired him.  He would certainly have access to a better recruiting base.

I would be reluctant to leave a stable job as an SEC head coach, in order to go to another SEC program with higher expectations that have fired two coaches in the time I was at my current job.  Since Mullen is comfortable where he is, he does not have to jump on any opening, and can wait for the right one.  For all we know, he may want his next job farther north, as that is where he came from.

13 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Yep...he is at a point in his life that he does not need to prove anything to anyone....and just going to some high risk job in the SEC doesn't make a lot of sense.  And JMO, but if he had done a better job of coaching the last 5 or so minutes of the game on Saturday he might be the toast of the college football world....but that's another story of course. 

If you want to move Dan...go East young man.... and I'm thinking Florida, not Tennessee. 

Archived