Butch Jones resigns/fired

ValleyTiger

4 hours ago, Strychnine said:

He has already elevated Mississippi State from where it was when he got there, and he may very well believe that he can hit the next level right where he is at.  I think he would be a good hire if Tennessee or Florida hired him.  He would certainly have access to a better recruiting base.

I would be reluctant to leave a stable job as an SEC head coach, in order to go to another SEC program with higher expectations that have fired two coaches in the time I was at my current job.  Since Mullen is comfortable where he is, he does not have to jump on any opening, and can wait for the right one.  For all we know, he may want his next job farther north, as that is where he came from.

Not sure why you explained this for a second time and quoted me. I agree again with everything you say, but some people strive to constantly improve. I understand that MSU is better bc of him. I understand he has nothing to prove and could stay there until he retires, most likely. Still some people are constantly wanting to be promoted. He may or may not be that person, but still. He may dream to coach NFL, and UF would be a step in that direction in my opinion. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, tigerfangs said:

Not sure why you explained this for a second time and quoted me. I agree again with everything you say, but some people strive to constantly improve. I understand that MSU is better bc of him. I understand he has nothing to prove and could stay there until he retires, most likely. Still some people are constantly wanting to be promoted. He may or may not be that person, but still. He may dream to coach NFL, and UF would be a step in that direction in my opinion. 

Not sure why you have to get snippy when I was obviously responding to you, and quoted you, because I was responding to your response to me.  Your question was "... is he that guy that sits in his current position bc it's comfortable and safe...or does he fight for the chance to become better?"  My answer was:  it is not necessarily that simple.

I suspect anyone that coaches football at this level strives to constantly improve.  The question is:  what are they striving to improve?  It is an important one, and I think the answer to it matters just as much as it varies.  In terms of promotions, head coach of a P5 football program is as good as it gets in college football.  If one wants to coach in the NFL, I suspect the best step in that direction is interviewing for open assistant positions.  The NFL does not hire head coaches directly from the college football ranks all that often, and certainly not often enough to be considered as a career track.  He has enough experience to land a job as an offensive coordinator, position coach, or assistant in the NFL, if he were so inclined.

Mullen might be striving to elevate his Mississippi State program to the level of what he could walk into at Florida.  That would be a greater accomplishment than just doing well at Florida.  He might not be staying at Mississippi State just because he is comfortable and safe.  Art Briles and Gary Patterson have shown that you can build a championship contender at a program like Mississippi State.  Mullen may be motivated by that.

Personally, I tend to think he is content to stay and work at building Mississippi State, or is waiting for the right job to come along.  There is definitely something to be said for job security, top 15 salary (he is already making more than Florida was paying McElwain), and not having to worry about plucking up your family and moving every few years.

Mullen is 45 years old.....there are lots of ways his career could play out.  

In the eyes of most college coaches, he is already pretty much at the top....good program in a strong conference and a fan base that does not put him on the hot seat every few years and some serious money.. 

Guess someone would actually have to talk with him and see what he values in life. ....and which of those values can't be satisfied where he is now. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

In the eyes of most college coaches, he is already pretty much at the top....good program in a strong conference and a fan base that does not put him on the hot seat every few years and some serious money.. 

Guess someone would actually have to talk with him and see what he values in life. ....and which of those values can't be satisfied where he is now. 

Indeed.  He is in a position that has become rare in college football: he can basically punch any ticket he wants to punch.

5 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Not sure why you have to get snippy when I was obviously responding to you, and quoted you, because I was responding to your response to me.  Your question was "... is he that guy that sits in his current position bc it's comfortable and safe...or does he fight for the chance to become better?"  My answer was:  it is not necessarily that simple.

I suspect anyone that coaches football at this level strives to constantly improve.  The question is:  what are they striving to improve?  It is an important one, and I think the answer to it matters just as much as it varies.  In terms of promotions, head coach of a P5 football program is as good as it gets in college football.  If one wants to coach in the NFL, I suspect the best step in that direction is interviewing for open assistant positions.  The NFL does not hire head coaches directly from the college football ranks all that often, and certainly not often enough to be considered as a career track.  He has enough experience to land a job as an offensive coordinator, position coach, or assistant in the NFL, if he were so inclined.

Nah it came off wrong. I was not being snippy but do see how it came off like that. We agree, War Eagle 

15 hours ago, AURealist said:

Bigger program. Higher pay. Better talent. Easier division.

Mullen to UF:uf:.

This makes the most sense to me too.  If he goes to Tennessee, he'll still have to deal with bama every year.  Florida is a much better option and will pay whatever it takes to get him. 

19 hours ago, AU64 said:

A very valid question..."Is your hearing still intact?" #cowbellhell

We need TN to be good. They play alabama and georgia every year. We play tn once every 8 years or so unless they make it to the seccg. I hope they hire a great coach. 

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

We need TN to be good. They play alabama and georgia every year. We play tn once every 8 years or so unless they make it to the seccg. I hope they hire a great coach. 

I want Tennessee and Florida to both be good.  I want Missouri to be good.  Let the East (especially Georgia) feel some of our misery having Alabama, LSU, and the occasional good Ole Miss or Mississippi State team to deal with on an annual basis.

I wasn't about to start a new thread based on a rumor I heard from a friend I barely know on Facebook, but...

It sounds like they (Tenn) are gaining confidence in landing Gruden. I'd find that interesting.

18 minutes ago, looney said:

I wasn't about to start a new thread based on a rumor I heard from a friend I barely know on Facebook, but...

It sounds like they (Tenn) are gaining confidence in landing Gruden. I'd find that interesting.

Well, there goes the idea of UT getting strong again. :banghead:

Gruden has never been a college HC, has never recruited and knows zilch about NCAA rules/restrictions for recruiting.  The last time he coached TE's at the college level was 30 yrs ago.  The last time he was responsible for a game plan, roster management or in-game decisions was a decade ago.

I know some UT fans and they all feel Gruden to UT is basically a done deal.  I have asked them all why this would be an upgrade and they all talk about his NFL experience, but none want to admit the lack of NCAA experience.  I agree a lot of QBs would be interested in being coached by him, but I don't know that his QB knowledge is enough to overcome all the obstacles of HC at SEC school.  Just my opinion, and I could be wrong, but I think Gruden to UT = continued mediocracy. 

I think the hire brings an excitement to program and recruits will follow, just like Michigan had with Jim Harbaugh.  Then the question becomes does that translate to wins on the field? Look what’s happening at Michigan now, sliding down hill.

22 minutes ago, keesler said:

Well, there goes the idea of UT getting strong again. :banghead:

Gruden has never been a college HC, has never recruited and knows zilch about NCAA rules/restrictions for recruiting.  The last time he coached TE's at the college level was 30 yrs ago.  The last time he was responsible for a game plan, roster management or in-game decisions was a decade ago.

I can see it going either way.  His NFL experience is a definite plus in recruiting, even if he lacks experience doing it.  Nothing says "we can get you to the NFL" quite like a Super Bowl winning coach sitting in your living room.  The biggest initial problem he would likely face is that he has to hire assistants that can coach AND recruit, which is something he will have never really evaluated in his career.  Armed with his knowledge of NFL development, I could see him building a monster at Tennessee, just as easily as falling on his face.

That said, it is a curious move if he is Tennessee's primary target.  Like you said, he has been out of the coaching profession altogether for nearly a decade, and college football for far longer.  He is definitely not a guaranteed, slam-dunk, college football program architect.

3 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I can see it going either way.  His NFL experience is a definite plus in recruiting, even if he lacks experience doing it.  Nothing says "we can get you to the NFL" quite like a Super Bowl winning coach sitting in your living room.  The biggest initial problem he would likely face is that he has to hire assistants that can coach AND recruit, which is something he will have never really evaluated in his career.  Armed with his knowledge of NFL development, I could see him building a monster at Tennessee, just as easily as falling on his face.

That said, it is a curious move if he is Tennessee's primary target.  Like you said, he has been out of the coaching profession altogether for nearly a decade, and college football for far longer.  He is definitely not a guaranteed, slam-dunk, college football program architect.

Like hiring Kiffen.....NFL coach gonna turn things around...:-\   looking for something to make the fans think they will be relevant again....wishing them good luck. 

I don't see it.  He has turned down countless jobs.  Don't tell me he has been holding out for Tennessee?  He's smarter than that.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Like hiring Kiffen.....NFL coach gonna turn things around...:-\   looking for something to make the fans think they will be relevant again....wishing them good luck. 

I would say that the two are really apples and oranges, especially from the perspective of experience and performance.  Kiffin was 5-15, while Gruden was 100-85 and won a Super Bowl.  Between the two, I think Gruden would be the most likely to achieve Tennessee's goals.  More importantly, I do not think anyone ever thought Gruden to be so incompetent that he was fired midseason, twice.

3 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I would say that the two are really apples and oranges, especially from the perspective of experience and performance.  Kiffin was 5-15, while Gruden was 100-85 and won a Super Bowl.  Between the two, I think Gruden would be the most likely to achieve Tennessee's goals.  More importantly, I do not think anyone ever thought Gruden to be so incompetent that he was fired midseason, twice.

That's true but I think the last time Gruden actually coached a football game the single wing was still in vogue. Hope they hire him.  

Just now, AU64 said:

That's true but I think the last time Gruden actually coached a football game the single wing was still in vogue. Hope they hire him.  

If they hire him, I hope he makes them good.  The East needs more good teams.

11 minutes ago, The Freak said:

I don't see it.  He has turned down countless jobs.  Don't tell me he has been holding out for Tennessee?  He's smarter than that.

According to my UT fans, he has ties to UT.  His wife graduated from there.  His daughter is going to school there. And with all the cuts going on at ESPN, it is actually better job security than ESPN.

23 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

According to my UT fans, he has ties to UT.  His wife graduated from there.  His daughter is going to school there. And with all the cuts going on at ESPN, it is actually better job security than ESPN.

Maybe so, but he's not getting fired from ESPN. 

13 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Maybe so, but he's not getting fired from ESPN. 

I am sure some of the long standing analyst who are no longer there also thought the same thing.  Just saying that job security is always on peoples mind when you have layoffs at your work place.

1 hour ago, lkeel75 said:

They think they’re getting Gruden every year. 

Archived