Things I Think I Saw (AU vs Georgia).....

JMR

Thanks I look forward to your posts every game week.

I was really impressed by the LB play this week sideline to sideline. They all seemed to cover their gaps correctly and didn't over run anything.

WDE Coach! I love reading your assessment of the game each week, especially after solid win. I think this is the best win the program has had (meaning, dominant performance against a good team) since the 2004 UGA win. Have watched Bammer the last two weeks and they are very “gettable”, especially if we bring it like we did yesterday. Thanks for sharing your insights every week!

The overall energy, urgency, and enthusiasm was absolutely awesome. We need that harnessed again in a couple of weeks and I love our chances! 

I think we can beat Bama by a healthy margin for multiple reasons:

1- Confidence

2- Jordan Hare Stadium, which boosts our confidence. We haven't looked beatable at JHS all year.

3- Our offensive strengths match up well with their defensive weaknesses

4- Our defense can stop their offense. 

Biggest thing though, is that the battle will be won in the trenches. If we can do that, I like our chances to beat Bama.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

I think we can beat Bama by a healthy margin for multiple reasons:

1- Confidence

2- Jordan Hare Stadium, which boosts our confidence. We haven't looked beatable at JHS all year.

3- Our offensive strengths match up well with their defensive weaknesses

4- Our defense can stop their offense. 

Biggest thing though, is that the battle will be won in the trenches. If we can do that, I like our chances to beat Bama.

I don’t want to jump to far ahead but for me it will come down to tackling and how well D. Williams and Paw-paw Atkinson does in spying Hurts.  We can stop the run then let hurt run off 15-20 yards when we are playing good defense.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Our QB is getting better every week. Stidham sold the throwback screen to KJ perfectly, never looking back until he was ready to throw the ball. A brilliantly conceived play, it was executed to perfection. I'd be willing to bet Chip Lindsey has watched it a hundred times already and will watch it a hundred more this week." 

The little pat on the ball right before he turned around was pretty cool I thought. Allowed him to really gather it. Seemed like he learned from what I believe was the earlier missed screen to KJ where he threw it a little too far out. Stidham next year could be something interesting if the OL gets it together early and we find a comparable replacement for KD (Matthew Hill????????????????) 

1 hour ago, WDavE said:

Thanks I look forward to your posts every game week.

I was really impressed by the LB play this week sideline to sideline. They all seemed to cover their gaps correctly and didn't over run anything.

Great point, Dave. We have been over-running plays and leaving the cutback lanes open. Didn't see that at all this week, and only saw one play over-run, and that was by Stephen Roberts.

27 minutes ago, JMR said:

Great point, Dave. We have been over-running plays and leaving the cutback lanes open. Didn't see that at all this week, and only saw one play over-run, and that was by Stephen Roberts.

Thanks for your insight coach. I watched some defensive plays today in slow motion that were showing our defense in action. They were picture perfect with the d- line man setting the opposing OLs In A position and allowing the LBs and safety crash the gaps for big stops. Is this something that Tre does better than most in calling the setups ?  Also I think KJ is absolutely the best RB in the Country. He brings it all. Speed, shifty,power (especially with his arms) determination and vision. He has it all. Watching Asa Martin’s film clip I can see some similarities. Hopefully down the road we will have another one also. 

Edited by Eagle Eye 7

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

I don’t want to jump to far ahead but for me it will come down to tackling and how well D. Williams and Paw-paw Atkinson does in spying Hurts.  We can stop the run then let hurt run off 15-20 yards when we are playing good defense.  

I'd be more of a proponent of Roberts and Dinson spying. They can match the speed of Hurts and tackle really well in the open field. If we can stop their conventional running attack, and Carlton Davis can minimize Ridley's effectiveness, I think that would be a good blueprint for stopping their offense.

Coach highlighted Chandler Cox. I agree he makes good plays. But during the game I usually notice the bad ones. Disclaimer: I am a fan who never coached or played at a high level. He seems to miss or actually looks confused and doesn't attempt a block at certain times. He allowed one big sack in this game and in a span of 3 plays didn't block on a run play. I like the pass to him. He is tough as they get. Maybe he'll get some carries vs ulm. We need to rest KJ in the second half. 

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic
10 hours ago, alexava said:

Coach highlighted Chandler Cox. I agree he makes good plays. But during the game I usually notice the bad ones. Disclaimer: I am a fan who never coached or played at a high level. He seems to miss or actually looks confused and doesn't attempt a block at certain times. He allowed one big sack in this game and in a span of 3 plays didn't block on a run play. I like the pass to him. He is tough as they get. Maybe he'll get some carries vs ulm. We need to rest KJ in the second half. 

Alexava, you may be "more right" than I am on your opinion of Cox. I typically just watch the game and "report" what I thought I saw. I'm sure I'm right some and wrong some. In his defense, Cox might have the toughest job on the offense, other than quarterback. It is tough to block good athletes in open space; sometimes you're gonna win, and sometimes the other guy is gonna win. In any event, kudos to you for voicing your take. On your point about resting KJ in the second half this week....I'm not sure I wouldn't hold him out of the game altogether unless he is needed. He has taken some major pounding in recent weeks.

Miss State for all that they're worth had a good game plan for Bama, and if not for some poor tackling and poor play calling towards the end would have beaten Bama by at least 3. With that said Auburn is much better than State and also has the home field advantage. I expect Bama to come in prepared as they always do but for the first time this season and in a long time I feel like Auburn is going to do something special against the mullets! WDE!

Absolutely love these recaps...many thx for taking the time to put them together.

I have really grown to love Slayton this season, especially after watching pass-after-pass clank off of receivers hand in 2016.  That catch he made for the long TD ... the sports bar we were watching it in up here just erupted.  And his downfield blocking has certainly been key in turning some of those dump off or screen passes into much more than they would have been.  Was worried when he got nicked a bit early on,  but thankfully that didn't keep him off the field.

I think the three KEY plays in this game were as follows:

1. The 3rd-and-1 stop from the AU 44, with the score at 9-7.  Ensuing drive leads to the Slayton score

2. The Flea-Flicker sack.  Fromm gets that ball off it's most likely 16-14 and who knows what that swing might do.

3. The Muffed Punt.  That guy had been tearing us up on special teams.  That turnover leads to Stidham's TD run and numerous shots of Hardman with his head down on the bench.

Edited by Indy

14 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

"Our QB is getting better every week. Stidham sold the throwback screen to KJ perfectly, never looking back until he was ready to throw the ball. A brilliantly conceived play, it was executed to perfection. I'd be willing to bet Chip Lindsey has watched it a hundred times already and will watch it a hundred more this week." 

The little pat on the ball right before he turned around was pretty cool I thought. Allowed him to really gather it. Seemed like he learned from what I believe was the earlier missed screen to KJ where he threw it a little too far out. Stidham next year could be something interesting if the OL gets it together early and we find a comparable replacement for KD (Matthew Hill????????????????) 

That was a very difficult pass and Stidham was perfect.

Having to watch this game on TV gave me an opportunity to notice specific individuals more so than from in the stadium and I have to say Braden Smith was a pure dominating force in this game, as I'm sure he has been often in his career). We are going to miss him!!

13 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Having to watch this game on TV gave me an opportunity to notice specific individuals more so than from in the stadium and I have to say Braden Smith was a pure dominating force in this game, as I'm sure he has been often in his career). We are going to miss him!!

I wish there was a video compilation of some of his blocks this year.  He just dominates the opponent unlike anyone I have seen in a while.  They spotlight him occasionally, but not enough.  

9 hours ago, JMR said:

... On your point about resting KJ in the second half this week....I'm not sure I wouldn't hold him out of the game altogether unless he is needed. He has taken some major pounding in recent weeks.

i hope KJ stays in his pajamas at the house.  we have a stable of running backs that need to be run.

i also hope they let stidham throw the ball about 40 times.  let some of these WR's get the ball in their hands and have some fun.  lets go full air raid this weekend!  I'd like to see malik throw the ball about 10-15 times starting mid way through the 3rd quarter.

i fully believe the malik rpo pass against GA (whether intended or not) will cause alabama some consternation.  you know we will pull out the malik rpo package against bama.  now they will have to make sure to keep a safety back to cover coates ... i mean slayton ...

Nice call on Dinson.   He is really really retiring to the form we anticipated.  

My one call out I would add was our overall tackling... I am not so sure we have tackled that well in a long long time.   

I think we will beat Bama.

It's not often I go into that game feeling that way. But I do now. That's a big change from right after the LSU game. We finally played the way I feel like we could. Now I feel like we should play that way.

We had a great win over the Dawgs but I don't want us to fall into the same attitude I think GA had. I think they fell in love with their press clippings and would run all over us. Well, as everyone knows, that didn't happen. I am sure saban will have bama more than prepared  for us, however I do think we  have the talent to beat him.  I just don't want us to get over confident with  the GA win. It's been my experience that when you play with a little fear of your opponent you tend  to perform  at a higher level. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out. JMO

WDE

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 11/14/2017 at 7:54 AM, Slammer1 said:

We had a great win over the Dawgs but I don't want us to fall into the same attitude I think GA had. I think they fell in love with their press clippings and would run all over us. Well, as everyone knows, that didn't happen. I am sure saban will have bama more than prepared  for us, however I do think we  have the talent to beat him.  I just don't want us to get over confident with  the GA win. It's been my experience that when you play with a little fear of your opponent you tend  to perform  at a higher level. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out. JMO

WDE

Love everything about this post. 

I’m not sure how good uga actually was since their schedule is so weak (IMO).

That being said, our team was on fire - I swear that was one of the best played, coached, etc. AU games that I have ever seen. Let’s keep playing with a chip on our shoulder while having fun. Proud of our team no matter what! One game at a time...

2 hours ago, AidiAU said:

Love everything about this post. 

I’m not sure how good uga actually was since their schedule is so weak (IMO).

That being said, our team was on fire - I swear that was one of the best played, coached, etc. AU games that I have ever seen. Let’s keep playing with a chip on our shoulder while having fun. Proud of our team no matter what! One game at a time...

When Saban shows up they're here to "take care of business."  I assure you they have this game circled and will be well prepared.  I am expecting a slugfest.  I absolutely believe we can slug faster, harder, better and smarter.  Cute is not part of that recipe.  Spy on Hurts and remain stout up front.  It's time for the fans to bring the Auburn version of the "earthquake" game.