TitanTiger

Auburn puts two basketball support staffers on administrative leave

Recommended Posts

 

Quote

2 Auburn basketball support staffers put on administrative leave

Updated Posted 
 

Two Auburn basketball support staffers have been put on administrative leave in connection with the school's internal investigation into the program in light og the federal case against former assistant coach Chuck Person.

"The Auburn Athletics Department has placed men's basketball support staff members Jordan VerHulst and Frankie Sullivan on administrative leave until further notice based upon the University's ongoing investigation into the men's basketball program," a statement from the school said on Monday.

AL.com will update.

James Crepea is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @JamesCrepea.

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2017/11/auburn_basketball_support_staf.html
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I hate that Frankie is caught up in this.

I just wonder HOW they were caught up in it?

Did they lie about what they knew?

Did they, God forbid, help CP do his dirty work?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I hate that Frankie is caught up in this.

If so, it's by his own volition. These guys didn't get tricked into anything, they chose to be involved. I'm sure this isn't over, and frankly, I am pretty sure Pearl will end up being let go as well to help the cloud around the program go away. Just a terrible situation for AU athletics to deal with.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jared52 said:

If so, it's by his own volition. These guys didn't get tricked into anything, they chose to be involved. I'm sure this isn't over, and frankly, I am pretty sure Pearl will end up being let go as well to help the cloud around the program go away. Just a terrible situation for AU athletics to deal with.

If they did some serious things in line with Chuck's wrongs, then it is hard not to make the HEad coach responsible, when that many may be involved.

But, again, CBP may be able to weather it...If he's totally clear...I want him to stay...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jared52 said:

If so, it's by his own volition. These guys didn't get tricked into anything, they chose to be involved. I'm sure this isn't over, and frankly, I am pretty sure Pearl will end up being let go as well to help the cloud around the program go away. Just a terrible situation for AU athletics to deal with.

I know.  I just really love Frankie and hate that he's gotten himself mixed up in it.  He's just getting his career started and this could end it before it begins.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steeleagle said:

If they did some serious things in line with Chuck's wrongs, then it is hard not to make the HEad coach responsible, when that many may be involved.

But, again, CBP may be able to weather it...If he's totally clear...I want him to stay...

I want him to stay as well, but seeing more suspensions says to me that he knew something, or everything. Can't weather that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TitanTiger said:

I know.  I just really love Frankie and hate that he's gotten himself mixed up in it.  He's just getting his career started and this could end it before it begins.

Agreed, I think he has a great personality for coaching. I am sure he could land on his feet if he proved to be a solid coach and learned from this mistake, if there is one. It's just going to take him a little longer to make his way up the chain.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn  ! ! ! !   :angry:

24 minutes ago, jared52 said:

If so, it's by his own volition. These guys didn't get tricked into anything, they chose to be involved. I'm sure this isn't over, and frankly, I am pretty sure Pearl will end up being let go as well to help the cloud around the program go away. Just a terrible situation for AU athletics to deal with.

Guessing it falls into the category of not saying anything when they should have blown the whistle.   Young guys apparently making bad decisions.   Names did not come up in the FBI case so sounds like collateral damage....which is often the saddest.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are these suspensions definitively related to the Chuck Person issue, or could AU have uncovered something else by turning over rocks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps they lied to Auburn’s investigators and other evidence collected proved they were lying?   Lying to your employer is normally not a criminal act, but usually grounds for discipline or dismissal.  Falsifying records also falls in that area.  When your employer is a public university it gets messy 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my guess is these suspensions have nothing to do with the Person thing.  We have a an internal investigation going on.  They could have found completely unrelated items that warrant suspensions until clarified.  

i.e. - selling spare tickets for personal gain ...  miss use of company cell phones ... who knows what it may be.  could be anything that isnt related to ncaa or fbi issues.

everyone is too quick to jump on the worst case scenario wagon.  (of course it could be fbi/person related as well)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

my guess is these suspensions have nothing to do with the Person thing.  We have a an internal investigation going on.  They could have found completely unrelated items that warrant suspensions until clarified.  

i.e. - selling spare tickets for personal gain ...  miss use of company cell phones ... who knows what it may be.  could be anything that isnt related to ncaa or fbi issues.

everyone is too quick to jump on the worst case scenario wagon.  (of course it could be fbi/person related as well)

^^^^^^^^^   THIS    ^^^^^^^^^    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

^^^^^^^^^   THIS    ^^^^^^^^^    

is that like 50:50  ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

my guess is these suspensions have nothing to do with the Person thing.  We have a an internal investigation going on.  They could have found completely unrelated items that warrant suspensions until clarified.  

i.e. - selling spare tickets for personal gain ...  miss use of company cell phones ... who knows what it may be.  could be anything that isnt related to ncaa or fbi issues.

everyone is too quick to jump on the worst case scenario wagon.  (of course it could be fbi/person related as well)

Nope - “Sources indicated to ESPN that VerHulst and Sullivan's actions were related to the same type of issues that the FBI uncovered in its investigation of former Tigers associate head coach Chuck Person, who was arrested Sept. 26.’

Edited by AlaskanFAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AU64 said:

is that like 50:50  ? 

to be honest, yes.  since the FBI investigation, information is very little for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Nope - “Sources indicated to ESPN that VerHulst and Sullivan's actions were related to the same type of issues that the FBI uncovered in its investigation of former Tigers associate head coach Chuck Person, who was arrested Sept. 26.’

Don't let it be.....was/am hoping it was just not coming forward when they could have....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad what has happened to the program. At first I was hopeful that we'd get our two players back but seeing how power hungry and dysfunctional people our compliance and AD departments are I don't see BP or the program surviving this. Very sad, I was looking forward to a great season.

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, au302 said:

Very sad what has happened to the program. At first I was hopeful that we'd get our two players back but seeing how power hungry and dysfunctional people our compliance and AD departments are I don't see BP or the program surviving this. Very sad, I was looking forward to a great season.

Don't know where this is coming from....not the fault of Compliance.....like blaming cops for trying to stop a bank robbery. :dunno: 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should hold on to Bruce if it is all possible.  We will NEVER make as good of a hire as Bruce in basketball ever again. Without him it will be right back to hiring the Tony Barbee's of the world. It is not like we have anything to lose. We do not have great basketball tradition. Our reputation in this sport as some great basketball power is not on the line. Because of the big win this past saturday all of this news is barely a whimper in the grand scheme of things compared to how much football overshadows it. The compliance department seems to want to throw bruce under the bus and start anew. AUBURN basketball will be nothing without bruce. No sell outs. No excitement. No hope. We will not be attracting top talent without him. Instead of in fighting with each other compliance should be doing everything in their power to make sure the infractions are as minimal as possible and work with Bruce to help him survive this and get past this and move FORWARD as a program with him as the captain of the ship still. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i dunno.....ideally for me this works out with Bruce still as the head coach of AU. But in my eyes that is getting harder and harder to see happening. Unless the media is just straight up making up s*** (possible) then there is some bad blood between Bruce and the school. Hard to see where Bruce would want to stay in that type of environment. And hard to see where AU wouldn't try and get rid of Bruce if there is bad blood there.   He hasn't really built up the type of collateral to keep the admin from firing him if they want to...especially after all this crap has come out. But i am hopeful now that Bruce has shown you can get good players to come to AU that it won't be impossible to replace him with another coach that can keep what little momentum we have going. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, gravejd said:

i dunno.....ideally for me this works out with Bruce still as the head coach of AU. But in my eyes that is getting harder and harder to see happening. Unless the media is just straight up making up s*** (possible) then there is some bad blood between Bruce and the school. Hard to see where Bruce would want to stay in that type of environment. And hard to see where AU wouldn't try and get rid of Bruce if there is bad blood there.   He hasn't really built up the type of collateral to keep the admin from firing him if they want to...especially after all this crap has come out. But i am hopeful now that Bruce has shown you can get good players to come to AU that it won't be impossible to replace him with another coach that can keep what little momentum we have going. 

You made a good point about "personal collateral".   Not sure I understand the concern that BP 'might not want to stay' here....seems the issue is the reverse of that  .    I don't know about bad blood exactly but nobody in the administration can be happy that three coaches under his supervision are now on suspension   And certainly not about the time and money that is being devoted to resolving this problem .....and of course, there is the hit that another athletic scandal has put on the school's reputation.

JMO but probably the only reason he is available to coach now is because the season is under way and someone needs to be out there with the players .....and we don't have anyone as an interim.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now