Auburn puts two basketball support staffers on administrative leave

TitanTiger

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

You made a good point about "personal collateral".   Not sure I understand the concern that BP 'might not want to stay' here....seems the issue is the reverse of that  .    I don't know about bad blood exactly but nobody in the administration can be happy that three coaches under his supervision are now on suspension   And certainly not about the time and money that is being devoted to resolving this problem .....and of course, there is the hit that another athletic scandal has put on the school's reputation.

JMO but probably the only reason he is available to coach now is because the season is under way and someone needs to be out there with the players .....and we don't have anyone as an interim.  

He might have trouble walking into another power 5 gig hot off the heels of these recent troubles but Bruce can get another job if he wants one. To think otherwise is fooling yourself. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, gravejd said:

He might have trouble walking into another power 5 gig hot off the heels of these recent troubles but Bruce can get another job if he wants one. To think otherwise is fooling yourself. 

That's not the issue....if he can,  good for him...I would hope so.    The issue is what is going on at AU now and what has happened to the program while he has been HC.. 

I don't think there is bad blood there, unless It stems from when BP was hired by JJ, and maybe the Compliance staff really didn't want to hire him b/c of past NCAA issues (just guessing).

I think it is strictly a power issue over what Compliance and Bruce see how he should be required to be interviewed. Not sure if Bruce's lawyers are protecting him from what went on in the FBI investigation or not? Or is it simply WHAT the Compliance Dept is asking BP to do (sign a document, or the questions are outside the FBI findings, even if it is for the NCAA?)

But, if they find common ground, all will be ok, and only some time and wound healing will be needed.

One last thing. Trust me, the admin would not be holding on to BP because we need a coach. IF they think he is obstructing, they would fire him, and let the assistant coach finish it out. They have control, as long as the President will support them. JJ has no say i feel, so that doesn't help BP..

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Fired from UT for NCAA violations, hired by AU still under a show cause, and now AU program wrapped up in this FBI scandal. I'm sure other programs are drooling over hiring CBP, what's his record so far at AU?

I like CBP, I think he is moving this program in the right direction when it was in terrible shape before he got here, but others are not just waiting in the wings to sweep him up if he ends up getting fired related to this scandal. 

I will reserve judgment until we know something more concrete, and cheer for this group of players. 

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I don't think there is bad blood there, unless It stems from when BP was hired by JJ, and maybe the Compliance staff really didn't want to hire him b/c of past NCAA issues (just guessing).

I think it is strictly a power issue over what Compliance and Bruce see how he should be required to be interviewed. Not sure if Bruce's lawyers are protecting him from what went on in the FBI investigation or not? Or is it simply WHAT the Compliance Dept is asking BP to do (sign a document, or the questions are outside the FBI findings, even if it is for the NCAA?)

But, if they find common ground, all will be ok, and only some time and wound healing will be needed.

One last thing. Trust me, the admin would not be holding on to BP because we need a coach. IF they think he is obstructing, they would fire him, and let the assistant coach finish it out. They have control, as long as the President will support them. JJ has no say i feel, so that doesn't help BP..

I certainly hope they are. This isn't just about possible NCAA issues, people may/will go to prison over this. 

there is no evidence that bruce has done anything wrong any any shape, form or fashion.  i dont know why people keep alluding to the possibility that bruce may or should be fired.  for what?

according to many people on this board, chuck person was pushed onto bruce pearl.  if the other 2 (i assume pearl hires) were suspended because of anything related to the person/fbi thing, then that is on person and not bruce.

there is obviously someone within the AD leaking info to espn.  they should be found and fired.  that kind of stuff ticks me off.  as of so far there is zero, zilch, nada reason for bruce to have anything attached to him.

if there is at some future point, then we can discuss it then.  I have never seen anyone associated with college athletics own up to their failings like bruce did with the tennessee/ncaa thing.  absolutely and completely man-ed up for it.  he shouldnt be vilified, heck he might deserve to be celebrated for how to own a wrong.  for what its worth, the secondary violation was minor and the attempt to hide it was dumb ... but for the love of all that is good, he wasnt indicted by the freaking fbi for securities violations and fraud like one of our previously beloved (in conjunction with a couple of other parental auburn beloveds).

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

there is no evidence that bruce has done anything wrong any any shape, form or fashion.  i dont know why people keep alluding to the possibility that bruce may or should be fired.  for what?

according to many people on this board, chuck person was pushed onto bruce pearl.  if the other 2 (i assume pearl hires) were suspended because of anything related to the person/fbi thing, then that is on person and not bruce.

JMO but doesn't matter why CP was hired, he worked for Bruce for 3 years.....one would think that the head coach would have some kind of relationship with his assistants to know what they were doing, where they were traveling ,etc..  Unless you are working with the FBI or the attorney working for AU you have no idea what anyone knows or doesn't know.  

I appreciate your loyalty for BP but considering what this mess has done to our basketball program I find it hard to accept that an assistant coach was able to do what was done without BP even having a clue....if he was actually doing his job.

added note:  NCAA now holds the HC responsible for his staff. 

True, nothing in the way of proof has been revealed but guess I would be prefer to wait and see before vindicating him especially since nobody....neither Bruce nor AU has denied the allegations that BP was not cooperating with the investigation and his job was at risk.   A one sentence statement from Dr. Leath ...."there is no  truth to the allegations that Coach Pearl is not cooperating with our investigation or that his job is at risk"..     That would put an end to the speculation but instead both sides are giving the big "No Comment'  which is a comment in itself. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/meet-dangerous-man-college-basketball-145346276.html

4 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

If I remember correctly, Cliff Ellis was never named in any of the violations of the basketball program back in 2004 but he was still fired anyway.

22 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

If I remember correctly, Cliff Ellis was never named in any of the violations of the basketball program back in 2004 but he was still fired anyway.

I did a quick check and Cliff was let go because the program had declined...and the NCAA was snooping around too but apparently the NCAA stuff was not a factor.    Amazing that his buyout was $750,000 for the remaining five years of his contract...different times and different pay scale.   NCAA came after he was gone and Lebo was saddled with the penalties.

In the current matter, I'm thinking that "cause" may be an issue for BP if AU cuts him loose.   

Is there any chance that the administration is using the 2 assistants to try and leverage BP to talk against the advice of his attorneys? If so, that would be a pretty crappy thing to do to all people involved. I think that Auburn administration should be more patient and allow the FBI to do their investigation first. The FBI has said that Pearl was not involved and should not be compelled to talk about their investigation with the university. The school is trying to save face so hard that it is willing to throw out a good coach who was bringing success to the program and by all accounts has been a great ambassador for the university and the community. If it comes out that he is guilty of anything, then by all means, fire him. But be patient enough to allow him to do what his attorneys have requested, and don't play games with people's lives. 

12 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Is there any chance that the administration is using the 2 assistants to try and leverage BP to talk against the advice of his attorneys? If so, that would be a pretty crappy thing to do to all people involved. I think that Auburn administration should be more patient and allow the FBI to do their investigation first. The FBI has said that Pearl was not involved and should not be compelled to talk about their investigation with the university. The school is trying to save face so hard that it is willing to throw out a good coach who was bringing success to the program and by all accounts has been a great ambassador for the university and the community. If it comes out that he is guilty of anything, then by all means, fire him. But be patient enough to allow him to do what his attorneys have requested, and don't play games with people's lives. 

Investigations can take a long time....Admin has to do what is best for the school and I don't see anyone playing games.....what is good for AU may not be good for Bruce and vice versa...but this can't just linger until the FBI is done...this is national in scope NCAA is still to be answered to I expect.....expect our lawyers are telling the Admin how to deal with this.

A week old but this is so true. 

I feel so bad for our non-scandal involved players. They came to AU with the idea of building a strong foundation to catapult AU to another level in basketball and have been rewarded with this big freaking mess. They don't deserve this

46 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Guess I’m dense ... but I don’t understand.  Is this a jab at pearl or support?

support.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I feel so bad for our non-scandal involved players. They came to AU with the idea of building a strong foundation to catapult AU to another level in basketball and have been rewarded with this big freaking mess. They don't deserve this

neither does Auburn University, students, alumni, coaches, and fans.

When the clouds clear over Auburn and Bruce he will be even a better coach for the Tigers.

2 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Someone please interpret this nebulous tweet for me, line by line. Thanks.

the gist of it is saying basically if bruce pearl were at a blue blood program or was a all time great coach then he would not be getting this much heat and would be able to survive this.

22 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

the gist of it is saying basically if bruce pearl were at a blue blood program or was a all time great coach then he would not be getting this much heat and would be able to survive this.

Thank you.

This might deserve its own thread, but I thought I'd bury it in here.

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Lawyer-Auburn-basketball-staffer-Frankie-Sullivan-was-not-told-why-he-was-placed-on-administrative-leave-110860693

Anybody see the free article on AUC?  IMHO it is somewhat damning to the Auburn athletic department and thus the University as a whole.

Text of article below:

AUBURN, Alabama — Frankie Sullivan wasn’t in his usually spot when Auburn practiced Tuesday at Auburn Arena. Sullivan usually posts himself under one of the baskets for the best view of the players and watches the action unfold with a smile.

Instead of fulfilling his role as the program’s video coordinator, Sullivan is sitting at home wondering what he did to be banished from the team. He and special assistant Jordan VerHulst were placed on indefinite administrative leave last week by the university.

“Frankie loves Auburn University,” Sullivan’s lawyer Ted Mann said. “He put his blood, sweat and tears for four or five years down there. He has an incredible fondness for the university. All of this is extremely painful for him.”

Sullivan retained the Birmingham-based lawyer when the university advised staffers and players that they had the right to retain counsel as Auburn initiated an independent investigation into the Chuck Person scandal. Person was arrested on Sept. 26 on federal bribery and corruption charges and has since been indicted by a grand jury in New York on six charges. Meanwhile, players Danjel Purifoy and Austin Wiley have been held out of games to avoid potential eligibility issues. Both players' families allegedly received money funneled by Person during an undercover FBI investigation.

Mann has guided Sullivan through the process and sat alongside the former Auburn player and team captain as three lawyers from Lightfoot, Franklin & White interviewed him in mid-October.

“He provided everything he knew to the Lightfoot, Franklin lawyers,” Mann said.

Mann wouldn’t discuss specifics of the session with the law firm, but nothing in that interview led the lawyer to believe his client was facing any disciplinary issues. They didn’t hear anything else about the investigation until Nov. 11 when Sullivan was placed on leave with pay.

Auburn basketball practiced that morning before the football team played Georgia, but as Sullivan arrived for work he was greeted by coach Bruce Pearl. Pearl informed Sullivan he was being placed on “indefinite leave,” a move that left Sullivan stunned.

Two days later another bombshell was dropped on Sullivan in the form of an ESPN report linking the former Auburn player’s action to a pending federal case against Person.

“Sources indicated to ESPN that VerHulst and Sullivan's actions were related to the same type of issues that the FBI uncovered in its investigation of former Tigers associate head coach Chuck Person, who was arrested Sept. 26,” Paula Lavigne and Mark Schlabach reported.

“He’s on the threshold of his career so to speak. He’s having to deal with this huge bombshell of news regarding Chuck Person and now he’s been wrongly implicated, wrongly attached to what Chuck was alleged to have been doing,” Mann said. “You can imagine how he’s feeling right now.”

The ESPN report came on the same day Sullivan received an official letter from Auburn University placing him on leave.

“The only justification was the ongoing investigation,” Mann said. “As I read the NCAA rules, as I read Auburn University staff athletic department rules and the Auburn University employee handbook, I think it’s highly unusual even in the process of an ongoing investigation once action is taken as I read these various rules that apply to his employment I believe he’s entitled a list of whatever charge Auburn is using for justification for his suspension.”

In the last two weeks, Mann has sent repeated requests for a list of the rules violations or university policy violations Auburn contends supports the suspension.

“As I’m looking at my emails right now, I still do not have a reply from Auburn University through Lightfoot, Franklin or the athletic department for why they have suspended Frankie,” Mann said.

While Mann is a personal injury lawyer, many of the cases he’s handled during his 32 years practicing law are in various employment settings. He described Auburn’s actions in this case as highly unusual given the grievance process requires the employee to respond to the university’s claims within 45 days of the disciplinary action.

Mann can’t file a grievance without knowing the reasons for the suspension.

“I’ve never seen an employer refuse to provide an explanation as to why they took an action to either suspend or terminate an employee,” Mann said. “Usually they have to do that in order to justify whatever action they are taking.”

Auburn declined to discuss why the university is withholding that information.

“As you know, two members of the men's basketball support staff were suspended with pay by the Auburn athletics department,” a university spokesperson said. “Both were informed that Auburn uncovered potential violations of university policy. As the investigation unfolds, they will have the opportunity to respond. No action will be taken until after that time.”

Mann has also acted on his client’s behalf to forcefully deny the allegations ESPN made that Sullivan’s actions “are related to the same type of issues” as Person was arrested for in September.

“We have written a letter to ESPN, to the two reporters that story was attributed to and we have demanded a retraction be run in a similar fashion that the story was published to remove any implication directly or indirectly that Frankie Sullivan was somehow involved in the same conduct as Chuck Person, which is false, absolutely false,” Mann said.

All Sullivan can do now is wait. 

“Our concern for Frankie is really pretty simple,” Mann said. “He’s a young guy, he wants to be a coach. He doesn’t want this to adversely stain his career. We think it’s only fair in our system of justice so to speak that he be apprised of whatever it is they claim that justified his suspension. We are still waiting. We have no reply.”

Archived