Offensive roles

CountStandya

13 minutes ago, WarTim said:

We are scoring 40& a game vs SEC. with "changes" would we score 50? Just asking. 

I  hope Gus and Chip get this O figured out this year. ?

7 hours ago, corchjay said:

Trust me at higher levels it is about who is where.  You identify who you want to move around by motion.  Who you want on who in blocking schemes.  

True, but offenses aren't looking at Tre and saying, "90% of the time he blitzes the A gap" or "80% of the time Dinson blitzes when lined up in press man from the slot" or "When Marlon moves inside to a 3 he slants weak 60% of the time".  Steele does a good job disguising who is doing what and where pressure is coming from. 

On the other hand, for example, on offense, when D. Barrett is in its almost 100% a swing pass, so if he is in the game the entire D is keyed in on that play.  If we used another back to run the same play occasionally or used Barrett in another way, then it would be exponentially more difficult to defend him. As is, its a swing pass and everyone knows it.  Same thing with Stove and the jet sweep. He is the only one that runs it. If Slayton, Davis, or Hastings ran jet motion as well, it would be more difficult to predict the actual jet sweep. Another example would be the wildcat. As of now KJ has run right almost 100%. If he would hand off to another, every once in a while, then the wildcat becomes much more difficult for a defense to defend.

I'm just saying, as a defensive guy, our offense seems to have more keys readily available to pick up on than others due to our lack of player utilization.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

True, but offenses aren't looking at Tre and saying, "90% of the time he blitzes the A gap" or "80% of the time Dinson blitzes when lined up in press man from the slot" or "When Marlon moves inside to a 3 he slants weak 60% of the time".  Steele does a good job disguising who is doing what and where pressure is coming from. 

On the other hand, for example, on offense, when D. Barrett is in its almost 100% a swing pass, so if he is in the game the entire D is keyed in on that play.  If we used another back to run the same play occasionally or used Barrett in another way, then it would be exponentially more difficult to defend him. As is, its a swing pass and everyone knows it.  Same thing with Stove and the jet sweep. He is the only one that runs it. If Slayton, Davis, or Hastings ran jet motion as well, it would be more difficult to predict the actual jet sweep. Another example would be the wildcat. As of now KJ has run right almost 100%. If he would hand off to another, every once in a while, then the wildcat becomes much more difficult for a defense to defend.

I'm just saying, as a defensive guy, our offense seems to have more keys readily available to pick up on than others due to our lack of player utilization.

Maybe it isn't as easy to key on as we think. When we haven't left Stidham flat on his back or relegated ourselves to running up the middle on 17 consecutive first downs, our offense has been close to impossible to stop.

1 hour ago, caleb1633 said:

Maybe it isn't as easy to key on as we think. When we haven't left Stidham flat on his back or relegated ourselves to running up the middle on 17 consecutive first downs, our offense has been close to impossible to stop.

Every play is designed to score. They don't always due to either poor execution on the O or great execution by the D.  If its "close to impossible" to stop, then the execution is what is the difference(IMO)  I'm just saying using more players in the same roles makes it harder defensively to key on plays.

i feel your frustration, Bird, but the numbers don’t lie. as unbelievable as it may be, this easy-to-diagnose offense is statistically better than 2010 and ‘13. 

i’m sitting on my couch calling the plays before they happen just like you guys/gals, but we can’t argue with the results...

To my untrained eye, especially concerning Stove, we broke some tendacies during the UGA game.  The typical Stove speed sweep was diagnosed well by their defense, but when Stove got the ball after Stidham faked to KJ and handed it to Stove on the end around we gained significant yardage.  Just that small change looks like UGA’s defense were keying on the speed sweep, but not the end around after the fake to KJ.  I can not recall if Auburn has ever handed off to the end around before.

The quick RPO to Stove was working well, also.  I’m hoping Saban is rethinking our personnel groupings ahead of the Iron Bowl and Auburn continues to break the established trends we have developed over the years.

Beat Bama.

23 minutes ago, jskilgro said:

i feel your frustration, Bird, but the numbers don’t lie. as unbelievable as it may be, this easy-to-diagnose offense is statistically better than 2010 and ‘13. 

i’m sitting on my couch calling the plays before they happen just like you guys/gals, but we can’t argue with the results...

I'm not frustrated (sorry if came across as such) and you're right, it has been clicking. That said, it has the potential even better.  Breaking tendencies, better balance(play# not yardage), and better player utilization would lead to a more difficult offense to defend, which in turn would lead to a more dynamic offense. JMO

22 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Do you think Sensei Mud could teach them some techniques to get open??? :Sing:

If they will use their hands at the line of scrimmage like Sensei they won't have a problem getting open.

To a certain extent we broke tendencies by running about 6-8 plays we haven’t run this year and we were generally more aggressive with play calling - which I think was a little shocking to everyone.

I think some of the past plays are set ups or to force some doubt into the D:

barrett swing pass - there has to be some twist on it.

malik - rpo to McClain will keep safety back.

pass to cox - open the middle and pull LBer outside.

plus some standard cgm plays we haven’t seen lately or at all this year:  wheel route, dbl reverse deep pass, short passes to Hastings.

i think we unload the playbook on Bama.

22 hours ago, bigbird said:

Every play is designed to score. They don't always due to either poor execution on the O or great execution by the D.  If its "close to impossible" to stop, then the execution is what is the difference(IMO)  I'm just saying using more players in the same roles makes it harder defensively to key on plays.

On the other hand, it also makes the sell of such plays that much more effective. Like when we faked the screen to Chris Davis and threw deep to Slayton. The safety knew that Davis was the most targeted WR for screens and when Stidham faked it his way, it sold the play that much more.

Archived