Need some Gameday help!

Auctoritas

Totally stoked that my wife thought it was a great idea to go to her first Auburn game for her birthday this weekend. She's a big Clemson fan, and we've been to a ton there, but this will be her first time on campus and experiencing Gameday, War Damn Eagle style.

SO! That said this is my first time being in Auburn since that unspeakable Kentucky game in 2009.  I need some help cramming enough Auburn experience into the day so I can prove to her that you don't need no stinkin' lake on campus to be a school full of Tigers.

Where should I take her in the few hours we've got pre and post game? And what's changed since last time that I need to watch out for for game day?

Be in the stadium 1 hour before gametime.  I say to everyone.  Also, if your seats don't have the backs, I would suggest renting then fir $7 each.  Need her as comfortable as possible!

8 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Be in the stadium 1 hour before gametime.  I say to everyone.  Also, if your seats don't have the backs, I would suggest renting then fir $7 each.  Need her as comfortable as possible!

I have to say - I have you to thank for this. I thought about getting tickets after I saw your "in the stadium" post today. You said "come see me!" and all of a sudden, I realized I had moved back to Atlanta and could actually go to a game now. So, thanks! :D

50 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

I have to say - I have you to thank for this. I thought about getting tickets after I saw your "in the stadium" post today. You said "come see me!" and all of a sudden, I realized I had moved back to Atlanta and could actually go to a game now. So, thanks! :D

Sure thing!  And I will be there for this game too so if you have time, feel free to come say hello!

Rain looks likely for Saturday.  Bring a poncho & change of clothes!

Apparently Tiger Rags is now a drive from campus, out by Duck Samford :angry: 

It's an 11 am kick against an inferior opponent, so the pre-game scene will be tame.

Tiger Walk starts at 9.  Be in the stadium at least 45 mins before kick.

If you hit up Toomer's after the game, the drug store sells lemonade bottles to-go outside for about $2.50.  It'll save you a bunch of time.  Also, hit up Little Italy for a slice of NY style pizza at Toomers Corner area.  Quick and super cheap.  If the line is long, don't worry since it moves fast.

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Also, hit up Little Italy for a slice of NY style pizza at Toomers Corner area.  Quick and super cheap.  If the line is long, don't worry since it moves fast.

You have to go to a local restaurant like Momma G's or Niffer's!

I would just do things that are uniquely Auburn or that were meaningful to you. For example, make sure you get in the stadium and see Spirit fly.  Go to Toomer's after the game. Got to go into J&M. You have to walk in front of Samford and also see the seal and the lathe. A walk through the quad to see the historical part of the campus.  University Bookstore in the bottom of Haley and the new student center. Also walk through the white tailgating tents outside. Maybe a visit to the new Arena and she can also see part of the Village and see the newer, nicer dorms. Momma G'a is not too far from there.  Our campus is so beautiful.  I know Clemson's is too, but they don't have the market on it!

You'll have to logically arrange all this, depending on where you park.  Have fun! I hope the weather doesn't spoil it all.  

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

You have to go to a local restaurant like Momma G's or Niffer's!

100% disagree.  The lines to get either one on gameday are not equal to the product I get back.  I love Mama G's, but waiting an hour for a sandwich on gameday isn't my bag.  Also, I'm pretty sure Little Italy is locally owned.  Just not as established in Auburn lore as others.

50 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

100% disagree.  The lines to get either one on gameday are not equal to the product I get back.  I love Mama G's, but waiting an hour for a sandwich on gameday isn't my bag.  Also, I'm pretty sure Little Italy is locally owned.  Just not as established in Auburn lore as others.

The problem with Little Italy is it is a chain.  You can get that anywhere.  I was suggesting local Auburn restaurants to give his wife the full Auburn effect.  Momma G's is actually a lot more streamlined now that they expanded to the outside.

8:45am - be just down from the intersection of Samford and Donahue for TigerWalk, just past where they let the team off the buses.  Best spot to get close tot he coaches and players.  Tiger Walk is at 9am

When Tiger walk is over, walk down Donahue st to Auburn Arena and see the history there with Lovelace Museum.  Get a picture taken on the west side of the Arena where the Auburn Creed is posted on the side of the building.  (If you have time can stop by fan fest on Wallace lawn but not critical)

9:45am  Be back to the corner of Donahue and Heisman (southwest corner of the stadium) for Spirit Pep Rally with the band coming from all four directions.

After the pep rally, take yourtime but be in stadium at least 45 minutes prior to get situated, get your chair back, pick up a refreshment if needed etc...  Be in your seat about 20 minutes before kickoff for the festivities (eagle flight, band etc....)

Post game, Toomer's Corner of course.  Pictures on Samford Lawn and such but get there before it gets dark unless you want some night pictures as well.

Nice birthday meal....Acre....easy walk away from campus from Toomers. Check to see if they take reservations. If you are into coffee, Mama Mochas adjacent to Amsterdam Cafe has a menu that will rock your world. Haley Center, top floor (elevator to 9, stairs to ten) Eagle's Nest if it's open. Happy you get to enjoy "all of our Loveliest Village", my hometown.

1 hour ago, GBAU83 said:

8:45am - be just down from the intersection of Samford and Donahue for TigerWalk, just past where they let the team off the buses.  Best spot to get close tot he coaches and players.  Tiger Walk is at 9am

When Tiger walk is over, walk down Donahue st to Auburn Arena and see the history there with Lovelace Museum.  Get a picture taken on the west side of the Arena where the Auburn Creed is posted on the side of the building.  (If you have time can stop by fan fest on Wallace lawn but not critical)

9:45am  Be back to the corner of Donahue and Heisman (southwest corner of the stadium) for Spirit Pep Rally with the band coming from all four directions.

After the pep rally, take yourtime but be in stadium at least 45 minutes prior to get situated, get your chair back, pick up a refreshment if needed etc...  Be in your seat about 20 minutes before kickoff for the festivities (eagle flight, band etc....)

Post game, Toomer's Corner of course.  Pictures on Samford Lawn and such but get there before it gets dark unless you want some night pictures as well.

Can you plan my next vacation for me??? lol 

11 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Can you plan my next vacation for me??? lol 

Sure, beach or mountains or Europe???

1 hour ago, MCPeePants said:

Is Brand X pizza still a thing?

Nope.  Been gone since the mid-2000s I think.  Man that was some good stuff at 1 am.

parking, parking, parking

our family has our game day routine fairly set so we have a feel for the where and how of parking based on game times, but if you havent been in a while you may want to reserve a space before hand through the university.  that way you know exactly where you'll be parking and can select a place for the side of town you will come in on.

even better if it is a parking deck if it rains.

all the other ideas are great.  wear comfortable shoes.  dont try to pack so much in that your rushing and/or disappointed that you didnt see/do some things (this will give you reasons to come back next season).

it takes longer to get across campus now that we are older and not students!  give yourself time.

16 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Nope.  Been gone since the mid-2000s I think.  Man that was some good stuff at 1 am.

Was still there when I graduated in 2008, I think.  Yes, it was amazingly bad pizza esp. at 1 am.

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

parking, parking, parking

our family has our game day routine fairly set so we have a feel for the where and how of parking based on game times, but if you havent been in a while you may want to reserve a space before hand through the university.  that way you know exactly where you'll be parking and can select a place for the side of town you will come in on.

even better if it is a parking deck if it rains.

all the other ideas are great.  wear comfortable shoes.  dont try to pack so much in that your rushing and/or disappointed that you didnt see/do some things (this will give you reasons to come back next season).

it takes longer to get across campus now that we are older and not students!  give yourself time.

Good stuff. 

Thank you everyone! I peeked at the weather and it looks like the rain is coming in later in the evening, so we may dodge that bullet. The rest of these suggestions and plans are wonderful - can't wait for the tiger walk and the pep rally!

On 11/14/2017 at 9:32 AM, Brad_ATX said:

Unpopular opinion but Momma G’s isn’t all that good anyway :dunno:

Oh and don't forget the AU clear bag policy.  Minimize what you are bringing into the stadium and plan ahead so you don't have to leave something at one of the bag check locations.

http://www.auburntigers.com/gameday/clear-bag-policy.html

Archived