Should we try to poach a coach or two?

AU80cruiser

With all the coaching changes in the SEC, are there any coaches we go after? Receiver coach, special teams coach, O-line coach, or strength coach would be something to consider. Wouldn't mind seeing Dell Mcgee find a spot here if possible.

i am not so sure our strength and conditioning coach needs replacing.look at bama's s and c coach.highest paid s and c coach in college ball and saban says he has never seen so many injuries in his years of coaching. so i am not sure replacing ours would help. i agree we need work on special teams and i am not sure what to think about our receivers coach. i know coach burns gets banged a lot but until i hear he is not doing as well as he could by an insider that knows i will give him a pass. i feel the same way about coach hand. we seem to be playing lights out right now but the slow starts and tinkering four games in makes me nervous. and we do not see enough of our tight ends to make a judgement on their coaching. but i do want auburn to be the best they can be. i am hoping gus turned the corner like it appears he seems to have done. right now i am still basking in the afterglow of a huge win.............

I would not change the the O-Line coach from Herb Hand.  The magic he has produced this year is unbelievable.  The way he has cross-trained his guys has really put us in a good position.  We have had 5 different starting lineups this year due to injury and they all are holding up.  And he is continuing to recruit very well for us at that position.  I would at least look at special teams though.  That is our weak link.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I would not change the the O-Line coach from Herb Hand.  The magic he has produced this year is unbelievable.  The way he has cross-trained his guys has really put us in a good position.  We have had 5 different starting lineups this year due to injury and they all are holding up.  And he is continuing to recruit very well for us at that position.  I would at least look at special teams though.  That is our weak link.

Hand has got to do a better job over spring and summer/fall practices to identify a good working group for the start of the season.  If we come out clueless against Washington next year, I’ll scream.

Agree on the special team coach.

14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Hand has got to do a better job over spring and summer/fall practices to identify a good working group for the start of the season.  If we come out clueless against Washington next year, I’ll scream.

Some guys just practice better than play in games. Tega has improved as the season has though

Just Special teams IMO. Some might scream WR but if he finishes out strong in the 2018 class and continues to build on a very talented 2019 class, Kodi will get a pass. 

8 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Some guys just practice better than play in games. Tega has improved as the season has though

Gus needs to figure this out now, Auburn can’t go into next year not knowing what he has until 3 or 4 games into the season.  The OL is the biggest part of the puzzle.  Get er done.

46 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Hand was changing the entire o line scheme. That takes time. What he's done during the season should be enough to change your mind. We'll roll into next year.

Linebacker coach... 

Jk. We have one of the best in the business and he's still young. We could be set up on Defense for years after Steele. 

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Agree also. Other than Gus getting in the way of our offensive production at times, the special teams has been my only real complaint this year, especially on return coverages.

1 minute ago, api1957 said:

Head Coach?

You serious Clark??

Gus has frustrated me often over the last couple of years. But I saw a Gus Saturday that I loved. He was intense, focused and very aggressive. Almost appeared angry at times. He had one foot on the throttle and the other on their throat most of the game. I don't believe one game proves he has changed. But I am willing to wait and see over the next few weeks. If he has changed, he could make a great coach for a long time to come. If it was a one hit wonder, then I can certainly agree with you. Although, I don't think we will be very successful hiring a top notch coach with a lame duck AD right now.

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Linebacker coach... 

Jk. We have one of the best in the business and he's still young. We could be set up on Defense for years after Steele. 

I would love to find a way to keep most of our coaches on defense even if we had to make a head coach change in the future. I know that is unrealistic because every head coach brings some of their own people and then deserve the chance to build their own team. But it would be very hard to find any fault with our staff on the defensive side of the ball right now.

ST for sure......if not for Carlson we'd have the worse ST in the country. Outside of that i'm not really sure. Hand has been iffy to me. OL has been playing better but looked awful to start the season. I'd much rather he find a good line instead of it finding him due to injuries. But no doubt he has been killing it on the recruiting trail. 

Burns tenure has been pretty short so i'm not making any snap judgements on him. We seem to have a pretty solid class coming in and WRs appear to be playing with good effort. Can't be easy to get good WRs here with how lopsided we have been on O in terms of run pass balance.

Nothing is broke on D so i'd be hesitant to change anything there. Getting the Crime Dog back from ol miss would be good for recruiting but i've liked the technique or DBs have played with better this year and its not like we are slouching on recruiting secondary this year so why make a change. 

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Totally agree. We got off to a slower start at OL this year than I would have liked. But coach Hand was able to move some guys around during injuries because they had practiced several different positions and combinations. Dunn was on the bench when the season started. But due to injuries, he got his shot and is now very solid. Once coach Hand got everyone healthy and found the right combination, we have been well above average in the latter part of the season, not great, but very good.

S and C, easily.  Two years in a row we've had our top RB's pull a hamstring.  Both while making long runs.  Either they aren't getting the off season work they need or they aren't streching and staying warm during games.

I think the problem with ST is that Tim Horton is an awesome RB coach. But the ST apparently is not his strong suit. Keep him at RB, bring in a seasoned WR/ST coach. Sorry just think KB needed more experience before he got this job. 

Let me start off by saying I love Kodi and what he has done for Auburn. If he is not the issue then I definitely want to keep him but the only receiver we have that seems to run a crisp route is Hastings. Slayton is simply out running DBs to get open. Is Kodi to blame for Nates lack of production? I was a lineman in my playing days so somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.

How is Larry Porter doing recruiting here? Would Dell Mcgee be a better fit?

2 hours ago, tw4au said:

You serious Clark??

Gus has frustrated me often over the last couple of years. But I saw a Gus Saturday that I loved. He was intense, focused and very aggressive. Almost appeared angry at times. He had one foot on the throttle and the other on their throat most of the game. I don't believe one game proves he has changed. But I am willing to wait and see over the next few weeks. If he has changed, he could make a great coach for a long time to come. If it was a one hit wonder, then I can certainly agree with you. Although, I don't think we will be very successful hiring a top notch coach with a lame duck AD right now.

I was partially joking. Although i'm over the moon about Saturday's outcome, one game does not a trend make. He's made a lot of bone headed decisions over the years but am excited about the potential for "this" Gus. He seems to be on an upswing but I'll need more consistency before I forgive or forget the last 3 years.  

4 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Easily a ST coach and WR coach. 

wde

Pretty sure Gus took the ST position this year ( he even admitted it) he needs to

hand it back to someone else. I think you could add it to CTH.

6 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Just Special teams IMO. Some might scream WR but if he finishes out strong in the 2018 class and continues to build on a very talented 2019 class, Kodi will get a pass. 

Recruiting is there for him but coaching is not. Ricardo and Sammie of course come to mind in them having a steeper climb apart from all other wrs going into the nfl because of them only knowing go routes and a few other routes. Our wr's should not be handcuffed to certain routes. They need to know how to get past the db other than by their speed. Hopefully this gets resolved because I don't want wr's like Seth Williams and Ross coming here and us not maximizing their potential.

Archived