Path to a National Title

gr82b4au

The road for AU to make it and win it all this year is soooo difficult. We have to beat #1(done), then beat #1 again, BOTH RIVALS, then beat the first rival who will have 1 loss again in their home state (basically a home game for them) in the Seccg, then beat #1 again if we are the 4seed , then beat #1 again for the championship. 

So that would mean in a span of 6 games we would have to beat #1, ulm, #1, #5, #1, #1. 4 top 5 teams and 4 #1 teams. 

That is darn near impossible. Has anything like this ever been done? Four #1 teams and a rematch with a top 5 team in 6 games? That would have to be a record. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to be a damp rag but we've done amazing things without recognition so don't count top 4 a given if we beat UGa again and Bama. We went undefeated in 2004, beating 5 top 10 teams - no team in Florida has ever beaten more than 3 in a season - but didn't even get the chance to play for the nat'l title.

In 1983 we beat 8 bowl teams including #5 on homecoming, went into the bowls ranked #3, beat Michigan while both #1 & #2 lost so we finished...#3.

There are a half dozen others - like 11 undefeated seasons and only 2 national football titles (while we absolutely punked urban meyers gators in Gainesville before they were awarded a national title) but we're Auburn, it's what we do. 

WDE 

i believe we beat saban the same year he won a natty at lsu............

58 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Not to be a damp rag but we've done amazing things without recognition so don't count top 4 a given if we beat UGa again then Bama. We went undefeated in 2004, beating 5 top 10 teams - no team in Florida has ever beaten more than 3 in a season - but didn't even get the chance to play for the nat'l title.

In 1983 we beat 8 bowl teams including #5 on homecoming, went into the bowls ranked #3, beat Michigan while both #1 & #2 lost so we finished...#3.

There are a half dozen others - like 11 undefeated seasons and only 2 national football titles (while we absolutely punked urban meyers gators in Gainesville before they were awarded a national title) but we're Auburn, it's what we do. 

WDE 

Well, if we win out and still don't make it, then nobody in the SEC makes it, IMO.

uga - we would have beaten them 2 times, and obviously we'd be the SEC champs...no way they make it over us

bama - we would have beaten them late in the season, and we'd be the SEC champs...would the voters send bama (#3 in the SEC) to playoffs over AU (#1 in the SEC), who beat them HTH? Can't see that happening.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i believe we beat saban the same year he won a natty at lsu............

No we got pulverized 31-7 in Baton Rouge.

Yes we have been screwed so many times over the years I wouldn't take anything or granted.  Teams like Notre Dame, Southern Cal, Ohio State, Michigan and Bammer have always been the media darlings.  We are the turd in the punch bowl.  The media loves to play the others up and look for reasons why we are not as good.  In 2004 they used the non-conference schedule to cut us out despite the fact that our conference schedule was much tougher than Okie and USC.  In 1993 it was probation based on bull****.  In 1983 we beat 5 top 10 teams while Miami beat 1 but they jumped them over us because they beat an overrated Nebraska team in the bowl game that had run up big scores on weak competition during the regular season.  This year we have left the door open with the dumbest loss in the history of Auburn football at LSU.  Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite us but I'm never surprised when we get the shaft.  

The times have changed. A knowledgeable panel is making decisions, not reporters with readers to satisfy. Four teams will be in a playoff instead of one team being selected at the end of it all.

Win out and Auburn is in the playoff, don't win out and Auburn is out. That's cut and dried.

I keep hearing the analysts say the same narrative over and over:

1) the lsu loss was.self-inflected/lesson-learned game, we dominated game and then..... Brain fart that we grew from. AU has completely transformed its psyche since then.  No longer the same team

2) Clemson is Clemson, at Clemson, it was early, and we hadn't figured out how to leverage stidham yet in our offense. No longer the same team

Bottom line: our 2 losses seem to looked at as not as badly as other teams losses. Almost as if we're not a 2 loss team

ps the other thing that's consistently implied is that they see Gus as a innovator/genius, who sometimes gets a few squirrels running around in his head

4 hours ago, yngwie1995 said:

Well, if we win out and still don't make it, then nobody in the SEC makes it, IMO.

uga - we would have beaten them 2 times, and obviously we'd be the SEC champs...no way they make it over us

bama - we would have beaten them late in the season, and we'd be the SEC champs...would the voters send bama (#3 in the SEC) to playoffs over AU (#1 in the SEC), who beat them HTH? Can't see that happening.

Hope your right, but I wouldn't bet the farm on them not putting bammer in if they can. They will only have one loss.

If we win and Wisconsin loses, look for Alabama to get into the playoff. Games could be:

1. Georgia

ULM

1. alabama

7. georgia (again)

2. Clemson (again) or Oklahoma or Miami

4. alabama (again)

It doesn't get easier from here out, it's just beginning...IF we beat alabama. Bring it. 

WDE.

I know it is still a pipe dream but if by some miracle it did happen it would be the hardest schedule of all time when said and done. I don't think there has ever been a team to beat 4 #1 teams in a season. 

11 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

So that would mean in a span of 6 games we would have to beat #1, ulm, #1, #5, #1, #1. 4 top 5 teams and 4 #1 teams. 

That is darn near impossible. Has anything like this ever been done? Four #1 teams and a rematch with a top 5 team in 6 games? That would have to be a record. 

One assumption is wrong in this scenario.  The other teams are "actually #1 or #5 or #1", etc.  

I believe we are playing the best football in the country right now.  At least when you consider our closest win is like 14 points!  Look at our scores against the SEC opponents that we beat.  I know our coaches goofed at LSU....

I will propose when we play bama, uga (again)  - we aren't really beating the #1 or #5 teams in the country.  If we COACH and play like we did last Saturday, we are the superior team and these aren't upsets in reality.  In the rankings/media, sure they these are upsets...if you believe everything the media says.

13 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

The road for AU to make it and win it all this year is soooo difficult. We have to beat #1(done), then beat #1 again, BOTH RIVALS, then beat the first rival who will have 1 loss again in their home state (basically a home game for them) in the Seccg, then beat #1 again if we are the 4seed , then beat #1 again for the championship. 

The only thing I would disagree about is being a 4 seed and playing the #1. I think if we get in it will be as a #3 seed and bama will be #4. My thoughts are....

#1 ACC Champ as long as neither blow a game before the championship.

#2 OU 

#3 Auburn (Whole scenario depends on us winning out.)

#4 bama

Things will go crazy if OU loses in the B12 championship game. I also do not think Wisconsin finishes undefeated which is their only chance of making it in. Even if they lose to say Michigan this weekend and still win their conference bama will stay ahead of them. No way a two loss Ohio St jumps them even winning the conference. The PAC-12 is out of contention with their champ guaranteed to have two losses. The biggest guarantee is if both AU and bammer make it in we will not play in the first round. 

21 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

The only thing I would disagree about is being a 4 seed and playing the #1. I think if we get in it will be as a #3 seed and bama will be #4. My thoughts are....

#1 ACC Champ as long as neither blow a game before the championship.

#2 OSU 

#3 Auburn (Whole scenario depends on us winning out.)

#4 bama

Things will go crazy if OU loses in the B12 championship game. I also do not think Wisconsin finishes undefeated which is their only chance of making it in. Even if they lose to say Michigan this weekend and still win their conference bama will stay ahead of them. No way a two loss Ohio St jumps them even winning the conference. The PAC-12 is out of contention with their champ guaranteed to have two losses. The biggest guarantee is if both AU and bammer make it in we will not play in the first round. 

No way a 2 lose OSU jumps us if we win out. We are by far the best 2 lose team and appear to be playing better than any team at the moment. In your scenario we would probably be the #2 seed and OSU the #3 seed. IMHO

12 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I'm not understanding the 4th #1 team in this scenario. Does the committee really reseed the winners after the semifinals? That seems totally unnecessary (and they don't do it in basketball...)

Anyway, if they do reseed after the semis, and we are there, there's a good chance we'd be #1.

7 minutes ago, WaynesAUworld said:

No way a 2 lose OSU jumps us if we win out. We are by far the best 2 lose team and appear to be playing better than any team at the moment. In your scenario we would probably be the #2 seed and OSU the #3 seed. IMHO

Sorry that should have be OU.

12 minutes ago, WaynesAUworld said:

I think he meant the #2 seed to be Oklahoma (OU) not OSU.  So that would mean an ACC champ (Clemson/Miami), a Big 12 (Oklahoma), SEC Champ (Auburn) and then 1-loss Bama over a one lose Wisconsin or 2 loss Ohio State (Big 10 champ).  I could see that scenario.  The only two-loss team being a Conference Champ and having a very strong SOS.

The discussion of Auburn possibly being left out this year is not going to happen. Auburn is getting much respect by the committee and they are positioned to make the playoff by winning out. I know in the past Auburn had been ignored by the voters but in my opinion Auburn gets a lot of respect for a team that has fallen short of expectations as frequently as they have. The committee has already decided by the rankings that if Auburn is good enough to win out they will be in the top 4. Heck, the polls have shown Auburn more love that many of us here after LSU, including me. It won't be easy but nothing that matters usually is easy. We're in good shape. 

24 minutes ago, msza said:

I'm not understanding the 4th #1 team in this scenario. Does the committee really reseed the winners after the semifinals? That seems totally unnecessary (and they don't do it in basketball...)

Anyway, if they do reseed after the semis, and we are there, there's a good chance we'd be #1.

You are correct - this was going to be my reply. We'd be playing a 2/3 seed in the championship game in that scenario.

I kind of wish people would stop talking about this stuff, though.

I know, I know... it's okay for the fans to talk about it, as long as the players aren't thinking it... but...

Still.

Maybe if we don't talk about it, we won't start to hope for it. Because if we hope for it and don't get it, there will suddenly be disappointed fans on here. And I don't like it when there are disappointed fans on here.

Let's just enjoy what's happening and stop whipping up a frenzy or worrying about what-ifs and past demons.

After the way the team won that Georgia game, the national perception of this Auburn team has changed, a lot. If Auburn wins the next 3 games, it will be a top 4 team and in the playoffs. But one week at a time guys.

IF we win out, this is how I see the Playoff rankings:

1. Clemson

2. Oklahoma

3. Auburn

4. Alabama or Ohio St.

That would give us a rematch with Oklahoma from last season, and if we win, a rematch with Clemson or Alabama. 

If Wisconsin beats Ohio St., then they'll be #3 and we'll be #4. I would much prefer this scenario as this would keep Alabama out for certain. 

I now have proof we are on the rise and have a great shot at the playoff. Wally Hall a sports reporter from Little Rock just told Finebaum that "Gus Malzahn has to be offered the Arkansas job. It would seem to logical to me.... his success speaks for itself. Home grown guy."

They were also on the topic on WJOX on the Round Table. 

27 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

IF we win out, this is how I see the Playoff rankings:

1. Clemson

2. Oklahoma

3. Wisconsin

4. Auburn

Would love for this to be the final 4. A rematch with Clemson being #1 would be a great way to start the playoffs and for Auburn to prove that the first game was not who this team is now. Then a chance to avenge the loss to OU from last year would be a great way to end the year. War Eagle!!!

3 hours ago, RHN1975 said:

bama will stay ahead of them. No way a two loss Ohio St jumps them even winning the conference.

Don't underestimate the significance of winning a conference championship game, esp since Wisconsin will be undefeated. Ohio St may very well leap Alabama.

Archived